Menu

How many syllables are there in 'caramel' in your accent?

Laura Corin

242 members have voted

1. 1. Are there...

• Two syllables?
    • Three syllables?
    • Other?

I typically use two, but will use 3 if I am feeling flamboyant with my words that day.  

I think that 3 syllables sounds more delicious, but for brevity, I typically use 2.   And yes, my brain really does over think things like this.  LOL  

• Like 6

I pronounce it with two, CARE-ml. But it's almost 1 1/2 and 1/2, like there are apostrophes in there. CAR-mull and CARE-uh-mell are heard around here as well.

Pecan is likewise done different ways.

I hate words without an established "right" pronunciation and spelling, at least within a region.

• Like 1

Everyone has an accent: perhaps you speak 'standard American' and I speak 'British Received Pronunciation' but we each have those accents.

Could you convert that to British movies and TV most Americans are familiar with? 

Sherlock Holmes played by Cumberbatch

Eliza Doolittle before Henry Higgins

Daisy in Downton Abbey

someone else, maybe a Harry Potter character

• Like 1

RP... think fancy schmancy Brit-speak, as heard in this youtube video. An explanation of the origin is given here. I googled, so if anybody has a better link, by all means, provide it!

Laura is quite correct, of course. Everybody, everybody, everybody has an accent*. In the US it's common for Midwesterners to claim to be accentless, but the truth is that their accent is actually highly distinctive! (And plenty of people who swear up and down that they speak the perfect standard with no nonstandard usage in grammar or vocabulary are shocked to find that something they consider perfectly normal is, in fact, highly regional and nonstandard.)

* Except for me. Everybody's English can be precisely judged by how far it diverges from my own personal idiolect which is, of course, the very pinnacle of human speech :P

• Like 10

Could you convert that to British movies and TV most Americans are familiar with?

Sherlock Holmes played by Cumberbatch

Eliza Doolittle before Henry Higgins

Daisy in Downton Abbey

someone else, maybe a Harry Potter character

All I meant was that no one's speech is neutral. Benedict Cumberbatch speaks RP - that is standard middle class southern - which is just as much an accent as Eliza Doolittle's Cockney.

• Like 2

2 syllables---car--mul, but that is pretty standard around here since there is a nearby city called Carmel, IN, so most people just pronounce the candy the same way.

I'm curious - does the accent go on the first or second syllable when you name that city in IN? Because there's a city in CA that's called Carmel, only it's always pronounced "Car-MEL" as opposed to how I usually hear the name of the candy pronounced: "CAR-mle" (2 syllables).

• Like 1

Everyone has an accent: perhaps you speak 'standard American' and I speak 'British Received Pronunciation' but we each have those accents.

While working out of the UK office, I had an Irish co-worker once tell me the American accent sounds like a news anchor. I couldn't help but think, "Even in London?"

Interesting that they use the phrase 'news anchor' in Ireland, as it's not used here.

I used the term off the top of my head. She probably used another term as it was more than a decade ago. What stuck out to me is the fact she thought the American accent sounded like a newscaster.

• Like 1

Depends.

If I were speaking of a "carmel apple," it would me two car-mull.

If it were, "a delicious candy with a care-ah-mel center", three.

Makes no sense, but there you have it :D

Bill

No, no, it makes perfect sense, and is the one true way! I am not alone!

Yes, caramel is three syllables: care-ah-mel. Unless it's a caramel apple, in which case it is car-mull because it's a car-mull app-ull. They have to match, see? 

• Like 3

This is us as well:)

Car-Mull corn

Car-Mull Apple

Care-ah-Mel centers

Yep.  This is how I grew up saying it, too.  Care-ah-mels are candy.  Car-mull is what goes on popcorn or apples.  I thought they were somehow different things until I looked up recipes in my early 20s.  haha

I pronounce it with two, CARE-ml. But it's almost 1 1/2 and 1/2, like there are apostrophes in there. CAR-mull and CARE-uh-mell are heard around here as well.

Pecan is likewise done different ways.

I hate words without an established "right" pronunciation and spelling, at least within a region.

Yes. Carml. One-and-a-half syllables at best. Car like the car you drive.

In my region, a final L after a vowel isn't pronounced with the tongue touching the front of the palate, as with most English speakers; the tongue stays down. So it's easy to shorten such syllables.

• Like 1

Wait.  

Who voted for OTHER???!!  Other than 2 or 3, what else is there?

Please.Explain.    :lol:

(3, around here...)

ETA: Ah, FraidyCat, we were posting at the same time.  OK.  I can see that.  

Sorta...

ETA (2): Et tu, Violet Crown?  Yah, OK, Texas.

• Like 2

It depends on ( a ) how expensive and/or fantastic the item is, and ( b ) how enthusiastic the person is about it.

If it's extra wonderful, it gets an extra syllable. If it's a beige cube in a trick or treat bag, it gets the short form.

Example: "Mmmm -- look at that car-a-mel white chocolate brownie with whip cream!" -vs- "I think the cafeteria pudding is car-mel today."

• Like 2