Menu

So, what if you had a high schooler that is destined to become a chef or something similar? (art, etc.)

My dd 12 has dreamed of becoming a chef since she was little.  Much of her spare time is spent cooking, or watching cooking shows.  She is begging me to enroll her in the local kids culinary classes for older kids, (money too tight right now and she will learn very little) and although I have tried to convince her that culinary careers are difficult, often have low pay, and the good culinary schools are very expensive, ...this is all she dreams of and all she wants.  She can't wait to turn 13 so she can take the Teen classes at the culinary school that is not too far away...and her ultimate dream is the best culinary school in the US, either in NY or Napa

I guess I worry, because this career is just so chock full of harship and problems, and she will graduate with a lot of debt and the best job prospects would be maybe 30k per year jobs....

Have you had a child that wanted to pursue, with all their heart, something very art related like this?  

My dd struggles with spelling, the physical act of writing, and difficult new words.  She absolutely HATES sitting still and studying, and actually, every September she starts to have sensory problems due to the stress of being indoors and sitting around too much.  I am admitting to myself that four year university may not be for her..unless something drastically changes.  

But, I think she should go to college for something that is only 2 years like Dental Hygiene and just take Culinary classes on the side.  My husband thinks that is sad.  He is willing to sacrifice so she can pursue her dream job and dream school...I am too, but I worry about the debt and the hardship in this profession.

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

I might consider sending a kid like that to a Tech high school that offers a culinary specialization.   Our local tech school has a whole restaurant the kids run.  She could probably get a decent job with just that, maybe not a high-end chef type job, but a good job at a good restaurant with room to grow, and it would be free.

Do any of those culinary colleges offer scholarships?

• Like 5

Junie:  What?  That's awesome!

Matryshka:  The high schools here are very academic focused and the tech schools (one in the entire huge county) are really really bad news.  We live in a very very high performing academic hotspot .  Good question about scholarships...I think that if she does a high school internship, she can get scholarships to the Culinary school she really wants to attend.  I will look into that more.

She can't wait to turn 13 so she can take the Teen classes at the culinary school that is not too far away...and her ultimate dream is the best culinary school in the US, either in NY or Napa

My friend enjoyed the cooking class at the Napa location when she was here as a tourist.  Have you called up that center and ask about any aid for high schoolers? Maybe take the SAT/ACT before high school and see if they would let her have the scholarship for classes while in high school.

"SAT/ACT Achievement Scholarship If you have earned a combined SAT score (Math + Critical Reading) of 1,000 or an ACT score of 22, you are eligible for a $1,000 SAT/ACT Achievement Scholarship. If your scores are 1,200 on the SAT (Math + Critical Reading) or 27 on the ACT, you're eligible for a $2,000 scholarship. Official scores must be submitted with the admissions application. This scholarship is not renewable."

http://www.ciachef.edu/california-campus-scholarships/

My maternal uncle is a chef and had never done anything else. He started his first job as an assistant/sous chef in those country clubs onsite restaurants for banquets and events.

• Like 1

I certainly wouldn't recommend a two-year program in dental hygiene for someone with a passion for cooking.  I agree - how sad!

Since she's 12, you and she have time to plan.  She can start researching what those top culinary schools are looking for when looking at applicants.  2-3 years of math?  Science?  Foreign language?  Culinary Experience?  Figure out ways to get those lined up during high school.   Start researching scholarships and other money-making opportunities.  It doesn't have to be a huge load of debt - she could always work a few years and save up money for tuition - especially if her family was encouraging her.  Good academics make applying for scholarships easier - good test scores on SAT or ACT help as well.

I would make sure her high school course work includes some courses that are really important for a successful chef - Chemistry and Business Math.  Written communication is also very important and a course in technical and business communications would go a long way.

• Like 3

One more thought, I would try to get her some culinary experience along the way too.

A friend of mine has a kid that was just like this. Very early on she began cooking the family dinner several times a week, and she took on very complicated meals and did beautifully! They also did a lot of volunteer work at a local soup kitchen as a family and places like that so she could see what large-scale prep was like. Peeling and chopping bags and bags of onions, potatoes, and carrots taught her a lot.

So when she turned 16, they were able to get her a part-time job as a baker's assistant at a restaurant during breaks, after school, and on weekends. She loved it, and actually moved over into doing some of the lighter prep work in other areas. The good thing about that restaurant is that it is small and a bit out-of-the-way, so she got to learn a lot in different areas.

Then she was able to get hired for prep work at a larger, well-known restaurant with a good number of tables. She hated it. Truly. The expectations and hours were brutal. She came away deciding that she enjoys cooking, but doesn't want to do it as a career in a restaurant kitchen, even if the restaurant is smaller like the first one.

That said, she also hasn't had too many academic struggles, and is now happily studying nursing.

And yes, at 12 you have some time.

Neither of mine knew at all what they liked then, and one of mine really struggled with academics at that age and then took off in high school. My college kid is 85% sure, and the other has two more years of high school and has it down to two fields. Even their friends who are in the first two years of college aren't 100% sure, although some are narrowing the options and some aren't.

• Like 5

The hardship is bad, but quite honestly if she's academically prepared she can do something like dental hygiene later. If she's decided that SHE needs to do it for a family's sake, it will go much better than if she is doing it because Mom says it's a good idea. 

There are things someone can do culinary-wise that are not being a chef, like the people who have a gourmet food truck.

Also I would try very hard to get her restaurant experience as soon as she is able to legally work near you -- summer job, and quite honestly I would have absolutely no issue giving a high school credit and calling it 'culinary internship' if she worked during the school year, although I would not let it displace academics. She may very well decide that she would much rather be a talented amateur who has a day job. 

• Like 4

I would encourage whatever her interests are while continuing school. I would pay for youth classes, certainly; however, no high-priced culinary school until has a fair amount of experience working in the industry.

Like Kiana noted, many people quickly discover that a love for cooking does not translate into a love of the industry - but she doesn't need to hear all of that right now. I would just say, yep, you can take these classes when we have the money, and then when you are 15, you can get a job in a real restaurant! (you can start on the back end at 15 around here) 

On a side note, if her sensory problems are noticeably worse during the school year, I would urge you to try a longer school year with shorter days (if you haven't yet done so). It might make a marked difference to both her school work and her attitude toward it. If you do a standard 180-day year, you can add 6 weeks to your school calendar and still have 10 weeks completely off during the year. 

I think that many, many 11- & 12-yr-olds would benefit from more active outdoor time, and I don't think it needs to be a negative for school. My kids never spent the bulk of the day inside doing seatwork until their teens, and it still got them to a nice rigorous high school schedule. 

• Like 2

My dd 12 has dreamed of becoming a chef since she was little.  Much of her spare time is spent cooking, or watching cooking shows.  She is begging me to enroll her in the local kids culinary classes for older kids, (money too tight right now and she will learn very little) and although I have tried to convince her that culinary careers are difficult, often have low pay, and the good culinary schools are very expensive, ...this is all she dreams of and all she wants.  She can't wait to turn 13 so she can take the Teen classes at the culinary school that is not too far away...and her ultimate dream is the best culinary school in the US, either in NY or Napa

I guess I worry, because this career is just so chock full of harship and problems, and she will graduate with a lot of debt and the best job prospects would be maybe 30k per year jobs....

Have you had a child that wanted to pursue, with all their heart, something very art related like this?  

My dd struggles with spelling, the physical act of writing, and difficult new words.  She absolutely HATES sitting still and studying, and actually, every September she starts to have sensory problems due to the stress of being indoors and sitting around too much.  I am admitting to myself that four year university may not be for her..unless something drastically changes.  

But, I think she should go to college for something that is only 2 years like Dental Hygiene and just take Culinary classes on the side.  My husband thinks that is sad.  He is willing to sacrifice so she can pursue her dream job and dream school...I am too, but I worry about the debt and the hardship in this profession.

Any thoughts?

Our local CC has a nationally recognized culinary program...at very reasonable community college style prices. It's not the CIA, but it's pretty darn good and definitely in foodie land (Sonoma County, CA).

If she is really interested, have her take some kids' culinary classes and talk with the instructors, network, maybe have her job shadow at a nice restaurant. Look into 4H food-related projects (food preservation, farming, farm-to-table, meat animals, food safety, cake decorating, etc.). You can definitely get high school basic culinary arts textbooks and work through the recipes now, have her memorize basic or master recipes, etc. As she gets older maybe she can work for a caterer to get a feel for high volume, deadline pressure work.

Don't say no to the possibilities until you let her test the waters. My dd was interested in agriculture, but after a summer spent volunteering on a family farm, she decided to go another direction.

As long as my kid was interested in cooking, I'd be happy to support someone other than me making dinner, but I would include planning quantities, balanced nutrition and budgeting, using leftovers, etc.

• Like 4

My youngest twin wanted to be a chef from the age of 8 or 9 until just last year.  She was even planning on going through the culinary program at our CC.  We let her cook anything and everything at home, and let her take cooking classes here and there as she could.  She still loves to cook, and has mad skills, but now she is planning on going into video and sound production.  As far as high school and such, we've always school with the goal of being able to get into college, even if they chose to go a different route when they got to graduation.  

So I guess, support their interests as much as possible, but know that it may shift.  

I have a kid who wants to write & illustrate children's books or just be an artist. However, she also wants to own a ranch & raise horses for pleasure (not sale). So, really, a tough field to break into & do well in combined with a hobby/life style which costs a lot to support is what she's currently looking at. And she's around your dd's age.

I don't know what it'll look like yet as I'm still going to make her do a basic college-prep load. She's probably not going to take math higher than alg II, but will probably do some business math and/or accounting. She still has a long time to figure out what post-high school looks like. For now, I support her in her writing & artistic work as much as possible money & time-wise. (Anyone want to edit her latest children's book for me? :mellow:) 

I'll be honest that I'm most worried about her practical skills right now - like answering the phone, standing up for herself with adults, and not being glum all the time.

I'd support her dreams, but make sure she has a strong academic balance just in case she decides that maybe being a chef isn't quite what she wants to do after all.  Then, I'd get her into a kitchen (think big chain restaurants) the day she is old enough to work in one.  She will either realize that the amount of time and effort to run a kitchen is totally overwhelming, or she will fall even more in love. 

My DD doesn't have too many true passions.  Right now she is toying with either a music major or an English major.  Both are going to be iffie in the employment field in her future, but I will offer any and all support she needs to succeed.  As she moves through the rest of high school and into college, I fully expect her to go through several other possible options, but sitting at a desk crunching numbers or programming computers will never be in her future.  I will be shocked if she comes out with a degree that doesn't come from the liberal arts department (with marine or environmental science being two possible exceptions).

• Like 2

I would reinforce the idea that school is about preparing for having lots of options and if she uses that to go to culinary school, fine, but right now it's about your responsibility to prepare her for choices.

I would also support her but be realistic about how it might be hard to get funding for a good school so she'd better work hard.

I would not pay for culinary school for a child that had not worked two years in the restaurant industry. You start in the kitchen, you try to make line cook. It is a hard life, a VERY hard life. Even in the top places, nicest locales, it is extremely high-stress and volatile. I know two people right now who work there. They are very stressed out and they're at the top of their game, working in places that are covered by magazines, they still drive cheap cars, work long hours, and one of them still occasionally gets yelled at!

If after working in the industry, she still has a passion and can articulate a plan for making it to the top, go for it, kiddo. It takes quite a passion but who knows?

• Like 4

When my DD was 12, she had the same dream.  I didn't think of the particulars, I just spent a lot of time in the kitchen with her, bought her cookbooks and kept my eyes out for classes she could take.  She had a passion for cooking for about 2 yrs.  Just this week I learned that her dream now is to play her viola professionally.  She is very talented in her music, but I'm a little panicky about what it would take get her classically trained and I"m panicky about how hungry she might be while she tries to make a living doing this.  But, because of how young she is, I'm thinking (maybe even hoping) her dream will change again.  Time is on our side at these ages.  Very few of us end up doing what we dreamed about at 12.  Some do for sure, but not the majority.  I'd just take it one year at a time and see what happens.  If her dream doesn't change, just support it however you can.  Make sure academically that she will have options.  People are most happy when they are living to work, not working to live.  If she needs to switch gears because it's not providing enough for her, she'll be able to make that decision on her own at some point.  

• Like 1

Calming Tea, my dd is probably a lot like yours, though obviously a few years older.  She's an AMAZING cook, and I had been encouraging her to take a gap year and go to cooking school, no matter what she decided to major in.  Last summer, she did culinary camp at the local cc, and when she got there it turned out the noise from the (horrendously loud) fans in the kitchen gave her horrific headaches, basically migraines.  We took her to the audiologist, and basically she is borderline with the figure/ground issues of APD.  The rest is fine, but that aspect for her is horrible.  Basically she ended up in bed by the end of the week with almost migraines.

So, really, if you know your dc has sensory issues you're going to want to get her in that kitchen with those loud commercial fans and find out how she does.  My dd can't physically handle it, and we don't really have a good answer for her.  If we could find a school that has *quiet* fans, I'd still love for her to be able to go.  Instead, she'll clearly be studying something else for college.

There are hobbies and there's passion, and our doer kids will go through stages, trying on things.  My dd went through the cooking stage, now she's doing serious costuming (like with boning, researched, the whole nine yards).  Who knows what will be next, lol.  The only thing that has really stuck through all the years is an interest in Queen Elizabeth, and that's not gonna make her a living most likely, lol.  And she's not BAD at ANY of these things.  She's amazing at them.  She's just this really complex, multi-dimensional person who keeps getting really good at things.  She did photography camp this summer and she's now doing that for some people.  She did drama camp, and apparently she was pretty good (budding) at that too!  I figure it all fits together into the composite of who they become.  Personally, I think she's going to get a history ed major and go work at some museum as their education coordinator, using ALL her crazy skills.  :)

• Like 2

This summer, I met a really delightful young woman (late 20s/maybe 30) who went to the Greystone culinary school. She is now working for an innovative executive chef at a tech company - it is one of those companies that goes all out to provide great food for its employees. 

I just thought I would throw that out there...

Some honest advice:

1.  She has plenty of time to decide/change her mind, etc.  What she wants at 12 may not be set in stone but it's worth letting them follow their dreams.

2.  When she is old enough have her get a part-time job in a restaurant.  She'll learn what it is like and can decide if that's what she really wants. I think she'll need to be at least 15 most places.  But if she is someone who likes to move around it may be perfect for her because kitchens are a high-energy place with lots of hustling and bustling about as they get stuff done. (Try to get her a job in a place that has a real chef on board so that person can help direct her.)

3.  Give her a balanced education.  Basically make sure she gets everything she needs in case she decides to go another route and culinary schools do have basic requirements.  She will have to write papers, do math (lots of fraction work), etc.  My youngest wants to be an artist and we are not doing the STEM college prep that her sister is doing but a lighter this will get you admitted into college if you want to go route.

4.  The advice on Chef school is to go to the best one that you can get into and then work in the best kitchens that will let you in and to travel as far as you can to learn what you really want.  BUT--to only go to culinary school after you have worked in the business a few years to decide if this is what you really want. 

I've worked in a bakery for 5 years and am going back to school for a culinary degree in pie and baking.  It is a rewarding career to make people happy with food and to be creative with food.  And within kitchens you get to meet a different group of people who are so varied and interesting.  It can be a great career but yes like all careers it will be hard.  And chefs can make good money once they have training and if they can do what they do well.

• Like 2

There are affordable programs.  Also, while they may seem expensive, in a way they are not because they don't generally take 4 years.  More like 1 year or 2 years tops.  Our local CC has a great culinary program that is very affordable.  There are all sorts of opportunities in culinary and many of them pay enough to make a living on.  I don't know that I'd put all my eggs in one basket with a 12 year old, but I don't think there is anything wrong with her goals. 

Any thoughts?

Oh my goodness, your daughter sounds like my older daughter (same age, too).  She's an amazing cook.  Way better than me.  I tease her that she learned to cook out of self-defense. ;)  Kids culinary classes are a total joke.  We enrolled her in one that was nothing but cake mixes and premade pie fillings.  

Anyway, if DD's interest continues, one of the paths we're exploring is enrolling in culinary arts and nutrition classes at the CC as soon as she turns 14.  Then, she can work in a restaurant at 16, save up her money, and see how she likes working in a professional kitchen.

Honestly, having a dream and planning to make it a reality (even if she changes course later) is so valuable, especially because she struggles academically.  Her unqualified success with cooking has saved her, emotionally speaking.  It's given her an incredible amount of confidence and she now has something to work toward, so I try to keep my mouth shut about practical issues like money.  

• Like 3

Any thoughts?

Oh my goodness, your daughter sounds like my older daughter (same age, too).  She's an amazing cook.  Way better than me.  I tease her that she learned to cook out of self-defense. ;)  Kids culinary classes are a total joke.  We enrolled her in one that was nothing but cake mixes and premade pie fillings.  

Anyway, if DD's interest continues, one of the paths we're exploring is enrolling in culinary arts and nutrition classes at the CC as soon as she turns 14.  Then, she can work in a restaurant at 16, save up her money, and see how she likes working in a professional kitchen.

Honestly, having a dream and planning to make it a reality (even if she changes course later) is so valuable, especially because she struggles academically.  Her unqualified success with cooking has saved her, emotionally speaking.  It's given her an incredible amount of confidence and she now has something to work toward, so I try to keep my mouth shut about practical issues like money.  

• Like 1

My best friend's oldest daughter (who was also homeschooled) is a chef.  She went to Renton Technical College and got the 2 yr Culinary Arts degree. She's worked at prestigious restaurants in the Seattle-area. She runs her own catering business. She's travelled overseas to cater and she's the culinary teacher at the high school there.  Yes, she's busy. But she's very happy.

• Like 2

THIS!!!

Just throwing this in... Landry Academy has a baking and pastry class that my ds will take in the spring. With the discounts and prebuys it's very reasonably priced. The class uses the CIA's Baking and Pastry: Mastering the Art and Craft as the text. They also have a world baking class, too.

My DD is going to take both the Intro to Culinary Arts (Fall) and Intro to Baking and Patisserie (Spring) next year from Landry. I spoke with the instructor and was very impressed. Also, you might look for ways to incorporate her interest in culinary arts into her other studies. For example, we studied chemistry with a culinary slant by incorporating "Culinary Reactions: The Everyday Chemistry of Cooking" http://www.amazon.com/Culinary-Reactions-Everyday-Chemistry-Cooking/dp/1569767068/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441395309&sr=8-1&keywords=Culinary+Reactions%3A+The+Everyday+Chemistry+of+Cooking and other resources. The Great Courses also have some worthwhile DVDs:http://www.thegreatcourses.com/search/?q=cooking. Williams - Sonoma offers weekend courses as do other gourmet food stores. Best Wishes!!!

Years ago,  (when she was in K4 or K5 or First Grade),  when DD was in the wonderful ($$$$$$) brick and mortar school in Cali that is accredited in the USA and also here in Colombia, I remember there was a boy who graduated from High School who was going to go to a Culinary School. 

My belief is that if people can work, doing what they enjoy and have talent for and interest in, their life is apt to be much happier.  Too many people major in something because it is a great field to go into and pays a lot of money or something, but it is something they have no talent or interest in.

There is a show on TV, "Celebrity Chefs".   There are some chefs who own their own restaurants who make a lot of $ and who enjoy what they are doing.

GL

• Like 2

My husband is a restaurant manager. He has never received a college degree. He was recently offered to work on THE culinary team of corporate in the multi billion dollar company's home office states away, with fully paid relocation. He's never taken a culinary class in his life, although when he was 18, he wanted to attend Cordon Bleu in Chicago. By the way, he turned it down because he loves doing it all at this point.

If she wants to be a chef, a school is not the answer. Yes, it's nice to have but the restaurant business is about experience. As soon as she can, she should be working in a restaurant as anything. My husband started as a clerk in a Little Caesar's as a teenager.

I just asked by husband and he told me chefs and cooks are different. Chefs need to know business because they manage cooks and create recipes, cooks make the food for the public. Chefs can cook but that isn't their main responsibility. So she would want to focus on a business degree while being involved in the restaurant business, building her hands on experience. Once she climbs the chain, she can add culinary classes to promote herself in the direction she wants her career to go if the company she is involved in doesn't give her that opportunity naturally.

She needs to find companies that prefer internal promotions over externals.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Substitute "farmer" for "chef", and you've got my DD. She has never wanted to be anything else, from the time she was five. DD is pretty advanced and could be anything she wanted, at nearly any school, but she wants to be a farmer, despite me warning her of the hard life and poverty. OK, it's her life, not mine. But I figure if this is what she wants, I will prepare her for the most rigorous college major out there, in case she changes her mind, while at the same time nuturing her farming passions and finding her practical hands on experiences and internships wherever I can in her chosen field. I agree with your DH that it would be a sad day if she felt forced into something just to earn a buck. The flip side of pursuing a passion without a safety net is that sometimes kids succeed because they must, because there is no safety net under them. We are paying through the the nose for this farming crap - leasing a horse, riding lessons, a fortune in gas/tolls each week to get her hind end to a volunteer job on the farm, etc... But I would do the same, to the best of my ability, if it was any other profession. So I owe her the courtesy of letting her chose her life's work and supporting her in that.

• Like 6

Cooks Illustrated, Fine Cooking, and America's Test kitchen magazines have lots of good information, and recipes. There are also online tutorials, like these:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/cooking-schools

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/VideoHome

Also, taking some basic cake decorating classes, and using www.mycakeschool.com to continue to learn and try techniques.

This is where I'd begin.

There are texts (I don't have the name, but I'll look them up), which you could use at home. They are used for high school electives here (2 hour class), and I believe include business aspects as well.

Beyond that, she will need chemistry, possibly organic chemistry (baking is a science), and the math to support it. That doesn't mean she has to be the best at everything academically, but it does mean she doesn't want to close doors, because she "just wants to cook."

Great advice about working in the industry. It is a high stress environment. Long, tiring hours. I enjoy cooking, but I don't want it for my livelihood. I do it now, because I can bring in extra cash...not because I live for it!

• Like 1

The texts used in the DoDEA high school here in Italy are: Foundations of Restaurant Management Level 1 and Level Two.  I know there are workbooks for these as well.  

The ISBN Numbers I have are:  978-0-13-46/071-4 and 978-0-13-707050-3.  These are Pearson Texts by the National Restaurant Association.  A Third Text is: Skills for Living, ISBN 13-978-1-59070-668-8.  I think the last one is more of a home-ec course

At 12, I would absolutely let her explore her passions as far as you can help her to go, as resources allow, but I also wouldn't close any doors.  I would keep up with academics and really help her to reach her full potential there too.  You can tell her she will need those skills too, she might want to write a cookbook one day!  Also, she might love cooking but decide she doesn't want that job as a lifestyle.  But I don't think she needs to worry about that yet.  There is a career website that talks about how the actual career you pick isn't exactly as important as it being a good match for the kind of life you want.  There was a statistic about janitors being one of the highest ranked jobs in job satisfaction and general life happiness.  The reasons given were things like, they made a modest living but it was enough to not be in poverty, they had a high level of autonomy in their job, so they didn't have a boss running around telling them what to do all day.  They had a job to do and could manage their own time, as they saw fit, to complete the necessary tasks.  Etc.  So, that kind of made me think more about choosing a career in a different way.  I feel like I used to think there was a perfect calling for each person out there, but I don't think that anymore.  I think sometimes it is even finding something that you don't hate that allows you to do the other things in your life that you love and want to do.  (I am not saying that is the case for everyone, but for some people, it is more about finding an environment that is a match for you than it is about finding the perfect profession.)  I think about myself and think that I probably could have had any number of careers, all of which I could have loved or been happy with.  There are so many possibilities.  

• Like 3

At 12, I would absolutely let her explore her passions as far as you can help her to go, as resources allow, but I also wouldn't close any doors.  I would keep up with academics and really help her to reach her full potential there too.  You can tell her she will need those skills too, she might want to write a cookbook one day!  Also, she might love cooking but decide she doesn't want that job as a lifestyle.  But I don't think she needs to worry about that yet.  There is a career website that talks about how the actual career you pick isn't exactly as important as it being a good match for the kind of life you want.  There was a statistic about janitors being one of the highest ranked jobs in job satisfaction and general life happiness.  The reasons given were things like, they made a modest living but it was enough to not be in poverty, they had a high level of autonomy in their job, so they didn't have a boss running around telling them what to do all day.  They had a job to do and could manage their own time, as they saw fit, to complete the necessary tasks.  Etc.  So, that kind of made me think more about choosing a career in a different way.  I feel like I used to think there was a perfect calling for each person out there, but I don't think that anymore.  I think sometimes it is even finding something that you don't hate that allows you to do the other things in your life that you love and want to do.  (I am not saying that is the case for everyone, but for some people, it is more about finding an environment that is a match for you than it is about finding the perfect profession.)  I think about myself and think that I probably could have had any number of careers, all of which I could have loved or been happy with.  There are so many possibilities.  

If you come across that again, please link it!

College of the Ozarks has a Culinary Arts major. The college is tuition-free and all students work for the college (they have a farm, craft store, bakery, etc.), and if they work during the summers, room and board is also free. Most students have to demonstrate financial need.

https://www.cofo.edu/Page/Academics/Academic-Programs/Culinary-Arts.170.html

Our local CC has a nationally recognized culinary program...at very reasonable community college style prices. It's not the CIA, but it's pretty darn good and definitely in foodie land (Sonoma County, CA).

My nephew was interested in becoming a chef. He considered a very expensive option in NY. After talking to owners and chefs at the nicest local restaurants (he lives in a large city), he found that they all hired their chef's from the local CC. The feedback he consistently got was that the local program turns out excellent chefs and they are more than willing to hire them. 

I wouldn't kill her dream, I'd feed it (no pun intended). My oldest is in college with a creative writing major. We know that it isn't likely to lead to a high paying profession. However, it is his first love and we wanted to support him pursuing it for as long as possible. The rule here is no debt for college, particularly not if it isn't leading to a high paying profession. Thus, he had to choose a school we could afford and contribute via academic scholarships to that cost.

Talk to the nicest restaurants in your area. Find out where they go to find chefs. Taking classes as you can afford them is great. Getting a job in a restaurant when she is old enough is great too. Getting a solid high school education (when she gets there) is also important. I certainly would NOT be talking to her about being a dental hygienist instead, at least not at 12.

• Like 3

College of the Ozarks has a Culinary Arts major. The college is tuition-free and all students work for the college (they have a farm, craft store, bakery, etc.), and if they work during the summers, room and board is also free. Most students have to demonstrate financial need.

https://www.cofo.edu/Page/Academics/Academic-Programs/Culinary-Arts.170.html

College of the Ozarks has a 13% admission rate. It is mostly regional and need based. Here is the admission criteria. It isn't far from me and I know a lot of people who go there, but it isn't a viable plan for most.

I agree 100% with everyone who says to continue to support a child's career dream, encourage getting work experience in the field of passion, and support a solid education no matter what the child's dream might be despite the perceived lack of earning potential and limited career options. 

I was in a similar place of perceived lack of earning potential and perceived limited career options, with a passion for physical education/kinesiology. Everyone kept telling me that the only job I'd ever get was as a low paid gym teacher. These preconceptions of limited career options were completely inaccurate. There was a far wider field of career options than I could have even imagined. I got a University degree in Kinesiology, worked at a sports college in Norway, worked in a National Sporting association, and could have worked at a government health dept making a starting salary of $70,000+ a year.  

I firmly believe that the key to a successful career is to have a passion for the field, have a strong and varied academic foundation, gain experience in a wide variety of areas in the field, and be open and willing to explore new possibilities in related areas. The PP who mentioned food industry options within high tech areas is a perfect example of how one can combine a passion for food preparation in unexpected areas. 

• Like 4

Calming Tea, my dd is probably a lot like yours, though obviously a few years older.  She's an AMAZING cook, and I had been encouraging her to take a gap year and go to cooking school, no matter what she decided to major in.  Last summer, she did culinary camp at the local cc, and when she got there it turned out the noise from the (horrendously loud) fans in the kitchen gave her horrific headaches, basically migraines.  We took her to the audiologist, and basically she is borderline with the figure/ground issues of APD.  The rest is fine, but that aspect for her is horrible.  Basically she ended up in bed by the end of the week with almost migraines.

So, really, if you know your dc has sensory issues you're going to want to get her in that kitchen with those loud commercial fans and find out how she does.  My dd can't physically handle it, and we don't really have a good answer for her.  If we could find a school that has *quiet* fans, I'd still love for her to be able to go.  Instead, she'll clearly be studying something else for college.

There are hobbies and there's passion, and our doer kids will go through stages, trying on things.  My dd went through the cooking stage, now she's doing serious costuming (like with boning, researched, the whole nine yards).  Who knows what will be next, lol.  The only thing that has really stuck through all the years is an interest in Queen Elizabeth, and that's not gonna make her a living most likely, lol.  And she's not BAD at ANY of these things.  She's amazing at them.  She's just this really complex, multi-dimensional person who keeps getting really good at things.  She did photography camp this summer and she's now doing that for some people.  She did drama camp, and apparently she was pretty good (budding) at that too!  I figure it all fits together into the composite of who they become.  Personally, I think she's going to get a history ed major and go work at some museum as their education coordinator, using ALL her crazy skills.   :)

I have a few friends who work at living museums.  Their job title is called something like "historical interpreter" and they really love their jobs and are very good at what they do.  In addition to working at the museum, they go into schools and do educational workshops and things like that.  I have always thought that they seem to have a really fun life!  Places like Williamsburg come to mind, but there are many other smaller places like it too.  Their jobs are also family-friendly, have benefits, etc., so it seems like it has been a good choice for them.  Just wanted to share!

• Like 2