Menu

Are you growing anything unusual in your garden this year?

helena

I'd love to hear about it!

Right now I have a fairly healthy/producing dragon fruit plant. I was happy to find epazote (Mexican herb) a few weeks ago, and it's already grown a lot. I have a guy at the nursery trying to get me a starter for nopales (Mexican cactus) Yummy!!!!! I'm also trying to grow Green Wizard Rudbekia. For the second time actually. They're so neat, I'm not ready to give up on them. :)

I'd love to turn on to some new and interesting plants.  :lurk5:

• Like 2

Weeds. Nothing new.

I really wish I could love gardening. My dh and his grandpa (who lives with us) wish I could love it too. I just want the lettuce arms spinach to grow. My girls really want giant sunflowers.

I'm really... Envious, jealous, in awe? Of you who LOVE to garden. I'm just glad to go to the farmers market and pay your for your hard work. :-) I hope you find some interesting plants to grow!

• Like 4

I'm growing lemon cucumber. Never had it, but I imagine it's not that exotic. The seeds sprouted so they got promoted to garden space. I'm not much of a gardener. It's my second year trying to veggie garden in the shade. I can grow the heck outta some parsley. I 'think, I'm 7a.

• Like 4

Not super unusual but I have some dill growing and I don't really know what to use it for.

Any ideas?

Dill... I'd add it to a Persian cucumber salad. We eat it with warm pita or other flat bread and hummus. 

Curious to hear how others use it!

• Like 2

I'd love to hear about it!

Right now I have a fairly healthy/producing dragon fruit plant. I was happy to find epazote (Mexican herb) a few weeks ago, and it's already grown a lot. I have a guy at the nursery trying to get me a starter for nopales (Mexican cactus) Yummy!!!!! I'm also trying to grow Green Wizard Rudbekia. For the second time actually. They're so neat, I'm not ready to give up on them. :)

I'd love to turn on to some new and interesting plants.  :lurk5:

Does homegrown dragon fruit taste like anything?  Everytime I buy dragon fruit, it tastes like nothing. Maybe your does?

• Like 2

Does homegrown dragon fruit taste like anything?  Everytime I buy dragon fruit, it tastes like nothing. Maybe your does?

The only thing I can taste is a hint of yucky.

:tongue_smilie:

I had an interesting thing happen with the plant. One night I went outside kind of late and there was a big open flower out of nowhere. The kids got out of bed to check it out and we read online that you can put your hand up inside the flower, give it a... wiggle  :001_smile: to pollinate it. A nice big juicy fruit grew out after that. There were some wiggling jokes that night! Haha!

• Like 4

I have a magical habanero tree that has leafed out for its third year. That thing just won't die. Oh, and malabar spinach. Otherwise just normal things - parsley, rosemary, basil, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes. I'm getting ready for summer crops, which means sweet potatoes and okra. I am thinking I might try a tropical green this year too. Maybe callaloo.

• Like 3

We have two lilly pilly trees in our backyard. They're so pretty, but to me, they taste like turpentine. :ack2: It's such a shame. DD nibbles on them occasionally.

I had to look that one up.  Riberry - so the stuff they make Ribenna from?  That's yummy, right?

Do you have a lemonade fruit tree - I think they are popular in Austrailia.  That is some yummy fruit!  Had it in Japan.

• Like 2

I had to look that one up.  Riberry - so the stuff they make Ribenna from?  That's yummy, right?

Do you have a lemonade fruit tree - I think they are popular in Austrailia.  That is some yummy fruit!  Had it in Japan.

Riberry is a type of lilly pilly that is supposed to be a little nicer than the type I have. It's not what they make Ribena from.

I don't have a lemonade tree, but my friend does. They're very tasty.

• Like 2

I keep trying to grow shiso which I hear gets weedy once established. I seem to be in no danger of that happening. Darn rabbits and groundhogs keep eating it.

Other than that, I am growing three types of eggplant and lots of different peppers. One of my boys wanted to grow a ghost pepper plant which was actually available at the nursery. I vetoed that idea. Also trying a yellow mr. striped tomato and tomatillos this year. Not super exotic but new to me.

Dill- homemade pickles, tuna or chicken salad, use for sauce on salmon.

• Like 4

Not super unusual but I have some dill growing and I don't really know what to use it for.

Any ideas?

I use dill when I make chicken soup.

In egg salad

Sprinkled on a regular salad

Feta and dill omelettes

Cucumber salad

The fact thay I successfully grow anything in my garden is unusual.

• Like 3

I'm growing Brokali, which is a cross between calabrese and Jielan.  I tried to grow Jielan last summer, as well as Caixin (both Chinese brassicas) but they bolted early due to low temperatures, I think.  The Brokali might cope better with a Scottish early  summer, and I'll grow the pure Chinese versions later in the year.  We'll see.

Apart from that: I've put in perennial Chinese chives (you stir-fry the leaves) and I'm growing Kohlrabi for the first time.  The rest is just broccoli, swiss chard, turnips, leaf beet, salad, peas, beans, etc.

• Like 4

Well, it is a weed once it gets going, but I'm hoping for a good crop of ground cherries.

I planted paw-paw trees in an understory space last year, but it will be 3-5 years before I even Jennie if these will set fruit.

I ordered some more wintergreen this year. The two and a half plants I have haven't died, but haven't thrived.

Dill and chamomile fall into that category of annuals that only need to be planted once, don't they? I much prefer pulling out excess dill to non-edible plants, though. Something about the fact that I know what it is and I COULD use it makes it less painful for me to weed.

• Like 3

Peas! They're not at all exotic, but I'm growing them across a makeshift trellis to form a living fence along the boundary of the tiny patch of lawn outside our cheap rental. I want to be able to sit outside without feeling the brick flats next door looming over me. I think it's going to look really cool. :)

• Like 2

By no means is this unusual, but it's unusual for us.  We are trying strawberries.  I believe it takes at least a full year before we'll get anything though.

We tried fennel the past 2 years and it grew, but it never bulbed out and produced anything edible.  I was very bummed because I love fennel. 

• Like 3

Okra flowers are surprisingly pretty!

They are gorgeous.  They are also very prolific.  He planted probably 100+ this year.  I'm serious.  Anyone want some okra?! lol

Well, it is a weed once it gets going, but I'm hoping for a good crop of ground cherries.

Oh we have a ton of ground cherries every year.  They ARE weedy...lol.

• Like 4

They are gorgeous.  They are also very prolific.  He planted probably 100+ this year.  I'm serious.  Anyone want some okra?! lol

Me!  I want some okra.  In Tokyo, I can buy it in packages of 4-6 pods for about $3US.  Wanna make some money with me?  :leaving:

• Like 3

My non-unusual list (zone 6b/7a):

broccoli, cauliflower (not until the fall though), 3 types of lettuces, rainbow carrots, 2 types of small sweet peppers (orange, red), jalapeños, onion, pole green beans, pole wax beans, zucchini, golden zucchini, tiny watermelon, a Chinese melon similar to honeydew, cucumbers for pickling

:)

• Like 2

You don't like those?  I love all three of those.  I wouldn't grow okra though.  I don't think it's versatile enough.  Although it can be frozen.

I don't like aniseed, so that knocks out the first two.  And slimy little fingers of slime?

• Like 3

Nothing too exotic at all; just things that I know we'll use: lots of lettuce, bok choi, tomatoes, peppers, beans, strawberries, sunflowers, watermelon, pumpkin, herbs, cucumbers, onions, celery...

Maybe the most exotic thing is the purple cauliflower? 

• Like 2

Unusual things:

Artichokes (I vernalized them)

Aunt Molly's ground cherries

Hinnomaki Red Gooseberries

Kang Kung

We have Epazote that volunteered

I like most volunteers, like sunflowers, marigolds, nasturtiums, dill, cilantro, borage, etc. The only volunteer I don't like is catnip. I am pulling up catnip everywhere!

• Like 3

We love okra! We eat far too much of it fried. In previous years, I've pickled young pods--Mmmmm...small jars of those actually make cute Christmas gifts. Different for sure.

We used to freeze batches of okra already breaded so it was ready to fry. Cutting back on fried foods so we let that one go...

The big dried pods look kinda cool in dried arrangements in the fall.

It's been so cool here, I haven't even planted mine. Time to get it in the garden.

To anther poster about dill--in my yard, there are some caterpillars that love dill, anise, and fennel. I planted milkweed this year in hopes of getting a good sized patch going for the Monarchs.

• Like 5

I want to buy some monkshood for the blue blooms in fall but it's so poisonous.

The Golden Japanese Spikenard bushes we planted last year are doing well. I've heard some people eat the shoots and that they taste like asparagus.

Rattlesnake Master is also interesting and self sows if not deadheaded.

Strangely, the Goldmound Spirea which I cut back two years ago is not bouncing back as fast as I thought it would. It's in full sun, 10+ hours per day, and gets plenty of attention. I thought these were supposed to be easy going. Hmmm... 

Painted Tongue seedlings are taking forever to get bigger than an inch. I have tried coddling them and am now reaching the stage where I might have to threaten them.

Yesterday while I was watering, a little hummingbird visited and took a bath for about three minutes! They like our Summer Wine and Roses Weigelas but those are just starting to bloom. This little guy was just enjoying the mist. :)

• Like 5

We love okra! We eat far too much of it fried. 

Ok, you all have to try it this way:

Pick it young and tender, then slice it up.  Toss with olive oil, salt and garlic (or whatever seasoning you like).  Spread on a baking sheet and bake at 400F until crispy, flipping a few times with a spatula.  Eat while warm, no slime :)  It is like the best kind of popcorn..lol.  

I hardly ever fry it any more.  

I also add sliced okra to soups and stews.  If you cook it long enough, it dissolves and you don't have slime (as long as you don't put tons of it in there).  It adds a nice flavor.  

• Like 4

Nothing unusual - but growing potatoes for the first time...I also have okra, green beans, spinach and amaranth in my vegetable bed..holy basil, garlic, curry leaf plant(used in Indian cooking), lemon balm and mint are in containers. I also started some lemon seedlings from seed and am hoping that at least one survives (although it will be a long wait until I can actually get lemons from it!). I have some chamomile and calendula seeds that I havent started yet! 

• Like 5

Do 60 different varieties of heirloom and open-pollinated tomatoes count?  I have red, orange, yellow, green, purple, pink, blue as well as striped and bi-colors going. 

20 of those are varieties from many European countries. I've never seen them available here in the states, and my purpose in growing them is to start spreading them around if they turn out to grow well here.

It was really hard to choose just 60 varieties to grow... I have seed for so many more.

• Like 12

In south Florida, most homes have cages over pools or extending from lanais to provide a bug free zone. My cage has always been covered in pretty mixed annuals set in pots. This year I decided to stick a few vegetable plans in and among all the pretty annuals. I have no idea if this will work. But, I have my first batch of cherry tomatoes forming alongside petunias and angel's breath. I have not lost the aesthetic appearance of the pots, and hopefully, will have some nice veggies along with the flowers.

• Like 5

I forgot - we have Good King Henry, but it really hasn't done much. Maybe it will now because we are down to only one chicken. It's a perennial kind of like spinach.

I'm growing Mississippi Silver Cowpeas for the first time this year. I've grown Zipper Cream cowpeas before, and they were good but small.

And I'm also trying to get Anise Hyssop to grow but haven't had any luck so far.

I love all of the plant ideas!

• Like 2

Nothing unusual - but growing potatoes for the first time...I also have okra, green beans, spinach and amaranth in my vegetable bed..holy basil, garlic, curry leaf plant(used in Indian cooking), lemon balm and mint are in containers. I also started some lemon seedlings from seed and am hoping that at least one survives (although it will be a long wait until I can actually get lemons from it!). I have some chamomile and calendula seeds that I havent started yet! 

My mom grows the curry leaves too! She just brought us a bag. I love the smell. :)

I dream of growing mass amounts of chamomile to make tea. Next year!

• Like 2