Menu

School Overdoses Girl on Her Medication

Chelli

1) Why on earth was the school counselor transporting the child anywhere? That never should have happened. 
2) Unless it's a valid emergency (EMS transporting to the hospital, etc), you should never give medication unless discussed previously with the parents! 

Those are some strong adult drugs for such a young age. :( Just based on the drugs alone, they should have made contact with the mom. If they couldn't, then have her in a self-contained room if her behavior was out of control. I have had to call parents multiple times due to missed meds, but we have procedures for dealing with issues until the meds kick in. Sounds like the teacher needs some more patience, too. 
Is the little girl going to be ok? 

• Like 6

I can see the good intentions of the counselor in trying to help the girl, but there is just so much wrong there it is hard to believe her professionalism could have taken such a flying leap out the window and dragged her common sense with it!

Wayyyy overstepping for the school.

I am surprised that they took her to the ER for a double dose of those meds though.Unless she is already at the top threshold of what a safe dose is, there really wouldn't be much to to at the ER, but wait it out.  I would have just monitored her at home and let her sleep off the double dose of Trazodone.  To each their own. 

DD is on those same meds plus 3 more.  There was a day that dh and I both gave her meds so she got a double dose.  When I called poison control, they said to just watch her also, so this isn't just a mom being Laissez faire about meds....(and I also work in pharmacy)

• Like 3

1) Why on earth was the school counselor transporting the child anywhere? 

2) Unless it's a valid emergency (EMS transporting to the hospital, etc), you should never give medication unless discussed previously with the parents! 

Is the little girl ok? Those are some strong adult drugs for such a young age. :(

It looks like she is going to be fine, but I would be so furious someone would have to hold me down to keep me from going up to that school and punching the counselor in the face.  :cursing:

• Like 4

I can see the good intentions of the counselor in trying to help the girl, but there is just so much wrong there it is hard to believe her professionalism could have taken such a flying leaps it the window and dragged her common sense with it!

At my school, we aren't even allowed to transport a child home if they are left at school. The police have to do it. It's a district liability and we can get in massive trouble for transporting a child (unless it's a district sanctioned event, ie: sporting events, etc.)

That was just out and out stupidity, in my opinion. 

• Like 5

What I don't get is, why didn't the counselor at least go up to the door with the girl and speak to the mom?  I mean, if she went to all the trouble of driving the girl out there, would it have been so difficult to walk ten feet to the door and confirm with mom that the girl still needed her meds?

• Like 11

What I don't get is, why didn't the counselor at least go up to the door with the girl and speak to the mom?  I mean, if she went to all the trouble of driving the girl out there, would it have been so difficult to walk ten feet to the door and confirm with mom that the girl still needed her meds?

Exactly, because who's to say that the little girl didn't take 4 or 5 pills instead of one? Not every child pays attention to their dosing. 

This REALLY makes me mad. 

• Like 5

I thought the same thing. The nine year old might not even know the correct dosage to take of each one (which might be how she overdosed!). It's just so bizarre and stupid. Like I said, I wouldn't have believed any school employee could be this much of an idiot if it hadn't been my friend's own daughter.

• Like 2

I am surprised that they took her to the ER for a double dose of those meds though.

I'm guessing she went back to school, the meds knocked her out, and the school freaked and took her to the ER. I probably would freak out too if I were a school.

Totally messed up in so many ways, btw.

I would start with being mad at the doctor who put my kiddo on that combination of medicine. Then I would let my anger continue from there.

I do feel sorry for the counselor, too, who made some really bad judgment. He or she will probably lose a job over this. If mom had been a little less vocal maybe the counselor could have received just a strong reprimand and a second chance.

But, mostly I feel sorry for the child. Her mom just blasted over Facebook that her daughter is a behavioral problem. That is bound to hurt.

• Like 1

I would start with being mad at the doctor who put my kiddo on that combination of medicine. Then I would let my anger continue from there.

I do feel sorry for the counselor, too, who made some really bad judgment. He or she will probably lose a job over this. If mom had been a little less vocal maybe the counselor could have received just a strong reprimand and a second chance.

But, mostly I feel sorry for the child. Her mom just blasted over Facebook that her daughter is a behavioral problem. That is bound to hurt.

Counselor could have killed the child and does not deserve a second chance. Transporting her to her home, sending her in alone to medicate herself -- no. There's no such thing as "too vocal" in this case lest any school anywhere not know the depths of this person's unsuitability to tend children.

I don't see Mom's supposed shaming of the child on FB to be the main point here. Not with the massively high numbers of children on behavioral and attention-aiding meds in this country. No shame in being one of them, or in being the parent of a child who needs extra help. What I see is a mother who knew her child needed help, who got the help and the medication and who sent her child to people who were purported to be professionals.

Let's not miss the forest for the trees.

• Like 25

Do people think these drugs are some sort of miracle cure and that a person ceases to have variations in their behavior?  It doesn't turn people into compliant robots.  So she was having a bad morning.  Big deal.  Teachers and school counselors are usually not medical doctors.  They shouldn't be making medical decisions for students. 

Maddening.....

• Like 12

Maybe TMI for Facebook, but I don't know.  Would you have felt the same way if we were talking about something like epilepsy medications?  Or something for diabetes?  Mental health issues are medical issues.  They shouldn't be treated with such a stigma.  I'm not denying they aren't, but would you still say the same if she told people on Facebook that the school gave her too much insulin? 

This issue seems much less important than school employees making medical decisions for a student. 

• Like 19

1 - NEVER take a kid anywhere 1:1, it looks bad if nothing else

2 - NEVER remove a kid from where their parent left them unless it an emergency or you have permission

3 - NEVER take it upon yourself to tell a child to take meds

4 - I don't know what, but there must be something I'm forgetting.  

That is completely insane!

• Like 6

I've dealt with counselors taking me places 1:1.  It was never an issue.  That's not a big deal to me.  Even the fact she brought her to her house.  Although that's odd without knowing if anyone would be home.  How did the daughter even get into the house?  Unless the mother doesn't lock the door I suppose.  I assume the door would be locked if the mother was not home. I would have NEVER give her medication without the mother knowing though.  Never.  She had no business doing that at all.

Why should the daughter be ashamed? Good grief, this isn't fifty years ago. Haven't we gotten past the point where mental health issues are supposed to be some kind of shameful secret?

And why should a counselor whose poor judgement could have killed a child receive a second chance? If she thinks that was an appropriate choice, she shouldn't be working with children, period. I don't think she should be thrown in jail or anything like that, but she needs to find a different job.

• Like 18

Who sends a child that age home without talking to the parent and making sure they are there. The parent did not answer the phone but they send a 9 year old home to take medication without even talking to the parent?! It isn't a schools job to make medical decisions. That is maddening.

Yeah that's so odd.  And did the 9 year old have a key?  My parents didn't give me a key at 9 because I was never left alone at 9.  But maybe other people give their 9 year olds keys.  And why is the medication left in a place for a 9 year old to access?  That's a bad idea too.  Especially for these sorts of drugs.

So many odd things about this story really.

• Like 2

That is not an uncommon combination of medications. Nor do they indicate that the child had a behavioral problem. They indicate a mental illness and there should be no shame in that. I do agree that as the child ages s/he might prefer more privacy regarding his/her medical situation but I certainly wouldn't blame the mother of a nine year old for reaching out for support over something like this.

• Like 7

Just because a doctor prescribes meds, it doesn't mean they should bear the brunt of the anger. Parents can always say no AND it could very well have been a joint decision in trying to find the best solution for the little girl. 

I had a student who was on some of the strongest doses of two of the mentioned meds that I'd ever seen in a student. Even the school psychologist was shocked at the amounts. The student was even on a sleeping pill since they had horrible insomnia. The student was on a dose that would knock out a grown man, but some days, the child still didn't sleep. However, it was a LONG road to get the student on those particular meds and sadly, they were the only meds that even remotely helped control the student's issues. 

Also, the counselor was way out of bounds. No second chances when you drive my child somewhere to self-medicate. Strong reprimands have no place. A school counselor of all people should understand the issues regarding what they did.

• Like 5

Just because a doctor prescribes meds, it doesn't mean they should bear the brunt of the anger. Parents can always say no AND it could very well have been a joint decision in trying to find the best solution for the little girl. 

I had a student who was on some of the strongest doses of two of the mentioned meds that I'd ever seen in a student. Even the school psychologist was shocked at the amounts. The student was even on a sleeping pill to aid in insomnia. The student was on a dose that would knock out a grown man, but some days, the child still didn't sleep. However, it was a LONG road to get the student on those particular meds and sadly, they were the only meds that even remotely helped control the student's issues. 

Yep.  I know this first hand.  Without these meds, as awful as the side affects might be, it gives some people at least a minimal amount of a normal life.  Prior to these sorts of drugs, about the only thing that would happen to severe cases is that the person would be locked up in a mental hospital for most of their life.  That wasn't great either.  Probably worse.  For some people this really is the only thing that helps.

Hopefully no doctor takes the decision lightly to give a child these drugs, but they do help some kids. 

• Like 2

And would a double dose of these meds be extremely serious?  I'm sure it's not ideal, but a double dose isn't like downing the whole bottle.

It would really depend on the dosage and how many pills she really took, as well as how sensitive she is to them.  I could see nausea and fatigue certainly, but the rest would be very individual.  If she's sensitive to zoloft, and took enough, then seizures could be serious.

• Like 1

I am surprised that they took her to the ER for a double dose of those meds though.Unless she is already at the top threshold of what a safe dose is, there really wouldn't be much to to at the ER, but wait it out.  I would have just monitored her at home and let her sleep off the double dose of Trazodone.  To each their own. 

DD is on those same meds plus 3 more.  There was a day that dh and I both gave her meds so she got a double dose.  When I called poison control, they said to just watch her also, so this isn't just a mom being Laissez faire about meds....(and I also work in pharmacy)

I'm guessing she went back to school, the meds knocked her out, and the school freaked and took her to the ER. I probably would freak out too if I were a school.

I agree either something happened at school after and they called an ambulance to take her, or mom found out, and didn't know what would happen with a double dosing.  Either way, mom has an official papertrail for when they see a lawyer.

Either this or someone with some common sense realized the egregious errors and wanted a little cya.

I can understand thinking maybe she hadn't had her meds especially since the mom had asked them to confirm with her whether the child had taken them before administering them so it sounds like in the past on occasion meds are forgotten at home.  But to have her take them anyway even without being able to contact the mom?!?!  Absolutely not.  Schools can't even give a Tylenol to a kid without permission from the parents for goodness sake!  And driving the kid to her house??? No way.  That does not sound normal at all.  I would think it's a major no-no just for liability reasons.

• Like 3

I can understand thinking maybe she hadn't had her meds especially since the mom had asked them to confirm with her whether the child had taken them before administering them so it sounds like in the past on occasion meds are forgotten at home.  But to have her take them anyway even without being able to contact the mom?!?!  Absolutely not.  Schools can't even give a Tylenol to a kid without permission from the parents for goodness sake!  And driving the kid to her house??? No way.  That does not sound normal at all.  I would think it's a major no-no just for liability reasons.

Yeah some schools don't even allow freaking Chapstick! 

• Like 1

You go right on ahead and be mad at the doctor who put her on those meds.....and I will go right on, with being mad that my 8yo was born with wonky brain chemistry, that causes a mental illness that requires those meds.  

Those meds are not given out lightly, and especially not to a 9yo.  For a med like Risperidone, there will be a diagnosis to support its use. It isn't an antidepressant that will be give out with just a little conversation in the pediatricians office.  It is very strong, and very effective for some MH conditions.

• Like 25

Huh? You aren't this child's doctor and you have no clue if this combo is or isn't appropriate.

What PS counselor would think it's okay to remove a child from school property and let a child with obvious mental health problems DOSE THEMSELVES? My 13 year old doesn't even take her ONE medication without telling me first. The counselor didn't just make one mistake; she made a series of serious mistakes that could have cost a child her life.

I don't see what mom posted as blasting that her child has behavioral problems; FB "friends" tend to be close family friends and family members, all of whom probably know the child and mom well enough to know there's an issues. My daughter has ZERO problem with others knowing she is dyslexic and ADD; not even a little problem with it.

• Like 7

1) Why on earth was the school counselor transporting the child anywhere? That never should have happened. 

Those are some strong adult drugs for such a young age. :( Just based on the drugs alone, they should have made contact with the mom. If they couldn't, then have her in a self-contained room if her behavior was out of control. I have had to call parents multiple times due to missed meds, but we have procedures for dealing with issues until the meds kick in. Sounds like the teacher needs some more patience, too. 

Is the little girl going to be ok? 

Have you seen the consent forms they ask you to sign today?  I wouldn't be at all surprised what Mom signed and agreed to this up front, in the stack of paperwork.  I saw one where the child could be removed for surgery or evaluation for mental health care on the "prior consent" of the parents in the original documents.  The ones attached to a school-based clinic are particularly egregious. 

Was the school nurse not involved?  The teacher and the counselor made this decision?  It was a stupid, uninformed one.

Except for stimulants, like Adderal and Ritalin, these meds have half lives.  Bad behavior today is more likely to indicate missing your meds yesterday or the day before.  

(A relative of ours had problems when her ex believed her son didn't need similar meds.  He wouldn't give them to him during visitation, stating the son was fine without him, and he was, the first day he missed and the second.  The son's behavior was violent and dangerous every Monday morning, when Mom got him back after two days w/o.)

• Like 6

Was the school nurse not involved?  The teacher and the counselor made this decision?  It was a stupid, uninformed one.

Except for stimulants, like Adderal and Ritalin, these meds have half lives.  Bad behavior today is more likely to indicate missing your meds yesterday or the day before.  

That's a good point.  There would likely not be much of a difference if a dose was missed in the morning. 

Yeah some schools don't even allow freaking Chapstick!

Yeah, I couldn't help but remember being in high school and knowing that I would get suspended (at least) if I brought Midol or Tylenol. (Even though I was old enough to drive myself to school in my own car.) :) This counselor was obviously operating on the other end of the spectrum.

• Like 1

Yeah, I couldn't help but remember being in high school and knowing that I would get suspended (at least) if I brought Midol or Tylenol. (Even though I was old enough to drive myself to school in my own car.) :) This counselor was obviously operating on the other end of the spectrum.

I brought Tylenol.  I also brought meds for migraines.  It was not allowed, but I needed to have it. 

• Like 1

As noted, this medications grouping is not uncommon, nor is it automatically "bad".  There can be good reasons for them. 

The school staff was wrong, wrong, wrong.  Again, wrong, wrong, wrong!

No child of that age EVER should be allowed to access and take psychiatric medications without parental presence (or explicit parentally-authorized deputy).  We kept our young children's medications in locked boxes to which only we (parents) had the keys. 

Much as I hesitate about lawsuits, I admit that I might incline toward one in this situation because that is what it might take to protect other students from this happening again. 

Have you seen the consent forms they ask you to sign today?  I wouldn't be at all surprised what Mom signed and agreed to this up front, in the stack of paperwork.  I saw one where the child could be removed for surgery or evaluation for mental health care on the "prior consent" of the parents in the original documents.  The ones attached to a school-based clinic are particularly egregious. 

I teach in a small/medium district, so I've seen the paperwork here. We certainly don't have consent forms like that here, but I  don't doubt there are some out there. That's ridiculous and I wouldn't sign for sure. 

I would feel the same no matter the medication.  I don't broadcast mine or my kids' medical concerns anywhere; that was a huge invasion of the girl's privacy on the part of the mom, IMO.

Maybe TMI for Facebook, but I don't know.  Would you have felt the same way if we were talking about something like epilepsy medications?  Or something for diabetes?  Mental health issues are medical issues.  They shouldn't be treated with such a stigma.  I'm not denying they aren't, but would you still say the same if she told people on Facebook that the school gave her too much insulin? 

This issue seems much less important than school employees making medical decisions for a student. 

• Like 1

I would feel the same no matter the medication.  I don't broadcast mine or my kids' medical concerns anywhere; that was a huge invasion of the girl's privacy on the part of the mom, IMO.

There are many people on this forum who have received help with their health problems because so many of us are willing to "broadcast" our medical concerns and how we deal with our medical issues.  There's nothing inherently wrong with discussing illness, especially when it's for the greater good. And in this situation, making people aware of this kind of thing so it doesn't happen again is certainly for the greater good.

• Like 15

I call BS.

1) the drugs themselves are very strong, and would be rare for a child.

2) the drugs are not likely to be dosed all 3 in the a.m.

3) the teacher's behavior seems incongruent

4) the counselor' behavior is also unexpected and incongruent

Nope; too many layers of unbelievable AND details presented to make it seem real and believable but actually has the opposite effect.

• Like 10

The OP's friend didn't necessarily choose "Public" when she posted on FB.  OP may have seen the post because she is a "friend."

The child obviously does not know the proper dosage.  Trazadone is unlikely to be a morning med.  It's used to treat anxiety because it makes you sleep, so you don't lie awake worrying.

I'm not familiar with those medications, but I would assume that the doctor didn't arbitrarily prescribe them (at least I hope not!). Surely he consulted with the parents and explained--based on symptoms, testing, and whatever other diagnostic tools were used--why they were appropriate for this particular child. The parents surely could have gotten a second opinion if they didn't feel comfortable with that approach. Now if they were strong-armed or otherwise pressured into filling the Rx for their child, that's a different story. But that's not the issue in this scenario.

• Like 1

If this story is true, then I certainly HOPE the counselor loses her job! Someone that seriously lacking in any sort of common sense has no business being around other people's children. Her actions were harmful and dangerous.

As for judging the mom for mentioning it on Facebook, neither she nor the child have anything to be ashamed of. There needs to be less stigma attached to these problems.

• Like 1

Why would the school need to verify the administration of prescription drugs with the parents if they aren't themselves going to be giving them?  If they were in fact authorized to give them then there would have been no need to drive the child home.  The entire situation makes little sense to me.

• Like 3