Menu

re-using vs consuming workbooks

Those of you who reuse workbooks (or don't but have tried) that don't come in PDF formats: what do you find works? Someone mentioned recently they take the binding off and put the sheets in page protectors and have the kids write on those with dry erase markers. Other than just writing stuff in a separate notebook, what else do people do?

Also, is there any easy way to take the binding off a workbook? Do you leave stuff loose-leaf, put it in a 3-ring binder, or actually bind it yourself somehow? Binders seem pretty expensive. I know they'd pay for themselves in the long run over going to office max or something, but it's still a pretty steep initial expense.

I'm considering removing the binding and then using a scanner with ADF to just scan the whole thing to a PDF, and then I have a printable version for the future and can just print it and maybe bind it for future kids. In particular, I think my kids do better when they actually feel pencil on paper than when they feel dry-erase.

On the other hand, who finds it worth it to just buy new workbooks for each kid? What do you do if curriculum changes after a few kids but you still have a few kids left you wanted to take through? The paper in mine certainly seem thicker than what it'd be if I printed to normal paper.

• Like 1

To remove the binding, you can have Kinko's (or whatever it's called now) do it or you can do it yourself.  Kinko's will give you a nice straight cut (most of the time--I've heard horror stories about them mangling books as well).  You can do it yourself a few pages at a time with an x-acto knife, which leaves a less straight cut and can be a pain.  I've done it both ways.

That said, I'd just go with new workbooks for each kid.  Aside from the ethical issues involved in reusing workbooks, you may decide you want to use different materials for different kids (because, well, kids can be really different!).  Also, you're right, binders and page protectors are expensive.  

• Like 2

Aside from the ethical issues involved in reusing workbooks, you may decide you want to use different materials for different kids (because, well, kids can be really different!).  Also, you're right, binders and page protectors are expensive.  

What ethical issues are involved?

Those of you who reuse workbooks (or don't but have tried) that don't come in PDF formats: what do you find works? Someone mentioned recently they take the binding off and put the sheets in page protectors and have the kids write on those with dry erase markers. Other than just writing stuff in a separate notebook, what else do people do?

Also, is there any easy way to take the binding off a workbook? Do you leave stuff loose-leaf, put it in a 3-ring binder, or actually bind it yourself somehow? Binders seem pretty expensive. I know they'd pay for themselves in the long run over going to office max or something, but it's still a pretty steep initial expense.

I'm considering removing the binding and then using a scanner with ADF to just scan the whole thing to a PDF, and then I have a printable version for the future and can just print it and maybe bind it for future kids. In particular, I think my kids do better when they actually feel pencil on paper than when they feel dry-erase.

On the other hand, who finds it worth it to just buy new workbooks for each kid? What do you do if curriculum changes after a few kids but you still have a few kids left you wanted to take through? The paper in mine certainly seem thicker than what it'd be if I printed to normal paper.

I would buy a new workbook for each child. The only thing I do is have the spines cut off and have the books drilled for three holes; I keep them in three-ring notebooks and remove each page for the child to work on, then put it back in the notebook. Yes, even if the pages are perforated. Writing in a workbook can be quite awkward; it resulted in my younger, right-handed dd hooking her hand around the top of her paper so that she could manage the half of the workbook she wasn't writing on.

• Like 2

Copyright violation

I ask my kids to write their math work in a spiral notebook instead of onto the book itself. That is how I reuse.

I think copyright violation is only if you make a copy of a book. Keeping a book clean by not writing onto the book don't violate any copyright laws that I know of.

I tend to use a lot of PDFS. If something I want isn't available as a PDF, I scan it into a PDF and print it out. Its easier to write on a flat piece of paper than to butt your hands against the bulky ridges of a book.

Depends on what it is. I might tear it all out, scan it, and print it as a PDF if it didn't already come that way. Some things you are allowed to reuse.

But for some things, I just buy new workbooks and rip out as needed because it's a pain to write in bulky books.

Tbh, the shipping cost will sometimes determine what I will do. If the book is inexpensive and comes via Amazon Prime and free shipping, it's probably not worth my time to copy it. But if it's an expensive book, or if it's a cheap book but the shipping costs more than the book, I'm more likely to want to preserve it somehow. (Like, Singapore workbooks -- they're expensive, so we do those on separate paper or orally.)

Staples cuts bindings off as well...sometime mine does it for free.

I have a home laser copy/printer ($10-$14 toner refills from Amazon + free/cheap copy paper after rebate from Staples). It's easy and fairly cheap to copy pages from workbooks we use very infrequently (i.e. SM Extra Practice). It's easier and cheaper to consume workbooks that we use on a daily basis. I think using page protectors would annoy me and distract DD. And, writing answers on notebook pages would not be very fun for her, plus she would take longer having to go back-and-forth. If I had multiple kids, I would shoot for digital when I could. Copy/scanning can take a lot of time (and it's down-right boring) unless you have access to a deluxe copier where you can copy a stack all at once.

Right now I have 2 kids using the same workbooks. I bought 2 sets of math and handwriting. It was cheaper to buy 2 sets than copy them even using a laser copier. But the LA workbook and EM geography I copy. Not for resell, but just because I didn't want to buy 2 sets.

Hmmm... all good thoughts. We have an old printer, but it's super easy to refill the black cartridge and we get paper nearly free when Staples runs their good deals, so the cost of printing BW is negligible, and we do have access to a high quality double-sided scanner with ADF.

I'm just trying to think ahead about how to not spend a ton of money, but also not waste a bunch by buying a bunch of duplicates (even allowing for "not all kids are fits for the same curriculum - we currently have 4 kiddos and have no idea if we're done or not). But most of the stuff we're using/planning on for the oldest DS is *not* available to purchase as a PDF, so I feel like scanning his into PDFs would be just be smart all around because then we have the most flexibility for the other kids (print, buy another workbook, or go with a different curriculum).

Honestly, I've never even considered how writing in a workbook can be hard and to have binding cut off for that reasons alone. So many good thoughts!

What ethical issues are involved?

From When Frugal Is Illegal: Here's How to Avoid the Copyright Trap:

"Unless the publisher gives permission for purchasers to make multiple copies, you must buy a separate workbook for each child. Whether your children write directly in the workbook, on notebook paper, or use an acetate overlay, a consumable workbook that has been used in any way, even if no writing appears on its pages, is still “used†and may not be reused without violating copyright law."

• Like 5

I've been homeschooling for 19 years.  If I could go back in time I would use the workbooks!!!  The first bonus is that it keeps all the work bound and in one place, but more than that there's no telling if the next kid will even use it. Chances are that if you hang on to it for the next one, and they don't use it, there will be a new edition out and you won't be able to sell it anyway.

• Like 1

I always buy either a printable PDF or just use the workbook. My second child is so different from my first that we haven't wanted to reuse stuff, but also, I value my time over a cheap workbook. I only have two children, so that might be a factor. I can see how having three or more might change my perspective.

I hate to say, when I was a kid (in the dark ages) we never had workbooks in school. Well, we had workbooks but we had to copy everything into a notebook (no photocopies yet). Man, I sooooooo wanted to write in a workbook. Don't know why, it just appealed to something in me (and I hated copying things!!!!!) 

"Unless the publisher gives permission for purchasers to make multiple copies, you must buy a separate workbook for each child. Whether your children write directly in the workbook, on notebook paper, or use an acetate overlay, a consumable workbook that has been used in any way, even if no writing appears on its pages, is still “used†and may not be reused without violating copyright law."

Although I do think the OP's plan of scanning to PDF and printing pages does violate copyright (since printing out multiple times = making copies) -- the quote above is opposite of anything I have heard of copyright and appears to violate the First Sale doctrine in the US.   

• Like 4

I just buy new workbooks. My first year I made copies as we went or used dry erase and a cover. It was a huge pain in the rear, lol. I hated having to think ahead all the time to make copies, and my son hated using dry erase. His arm erased it as he went. The tip was too thick or bent or ran out of ink. Wet erase was too stinky. So on and so forth. And I don't even know if it saved money in the end, as I used so. much. ink. You think black cartridges are cheap until you realize you are blowing through quite a few a year.

Oh yeah, and that math program I painstakingly copied every page out of, to save myself 15 bucks or something? My next kid didn't even use it.

As you can see, I'm pretty bitter about that experience. ;)

I'd make copies if I was only using bits and pieces of a workbook. I make copies of the SOTW activity guide, for example, because we only use every 3rd or 4th page. Or maybe if it was a really expensive workbook. But honestly? The workbook is usually the cheapest part of a program and my time is worth more than an hour of scanning and copying to save less than 20 dollars.

• Like 3

I have my dc use a math journal (spiral bound by Lulu.com thank-you-VERY-much!) instead of writing in CWP.  This is cheaper than re-purchasing, not to mention my CWP are OOP and the only thing worse than loose school papers is a written in OOP school book.  :zombiechase:   I use journals for Strayer-Upton too.

I don't even try to reuse things anymore even if they aren't OOP.  My kids do CLE/Horizons math wbs, and I just buy the next ones as needed.  It's not worth my time to organize it all before/during/after each lesson.  I do a lot of printing of things I make, but I'm having those bound now too b/c the loose papers are driving me insane.  My dd keeps pulling the perforated sheets out of Horizons Math, and this is seriously an issue b/c she "accidentally" loses the pages.  I should just take the rest of her book to Staples!  She would cry. :lol:

• Like 2

Although I do think the OP's plan of scanning to PDF and printing pages does violate copyright (since printing out multiple times = making copies) -- the quote above is opposite of anything I have heard of copyright and appears to violate the First Sale doctrine in the US.   

Either way, I'll just be buying workbooks at this point, since writing in a separate notebook won't work for the ones I'm looking at and they write worse when it's "slippery" like dry/wet erase markers. So for my part, the question is answered - thank you. :)

On the other hand, I started looking into the questions raised above some (just out of curiosity) and it seems that works that are intended to be primarily consumable *may* be excluded from the first sale doctrine, just as they are often excluded from normal fair usage laws. So it seems that anyone who is reusing workbooks (regardless of actually making copies vs using sheet protectors or writing in a separate notebook) would be wise to look into this further and/or contact the publisher for a definitive answer if they would like a completely clear conscience...

On the other hand, I started looking into the questions raised above some (just out of curiosity) and it seems that works that are intended to be primarily consumable *may* be excluded from the first sale doctrine, just as they are often excluded from normal fair usage laws. So it seems that anyone who is reusing workbooks (regardless of actually making copies vs using sheet protectors or writing in a separate notebook) would be wise to look into this further and/or contact the publisher for a definitive answer if they would like a completely clear conscience...

That's interesting because my own (limited) research does not support exclusion of items meant to be consumable -- the most I have seen is mention that items meant to be consumable also cannot be copied and have a bigger 'fair use' restriction (fair use also pertaining to copying) .   From my understanding it's not up to the publisher to decide whether or not an item can be reused or resold only how much and when it can be copied.  Everything I have read has said as long as you are reusing the original book/pages (even if cut out and laminated) that falls under First Sale doctrine.  The only thing I have seen that is at all negative is some discussion of whether you are creating a 'derivative' work if you knowingly bound those pages in with other pages from other works (or made 'art' from them).   

First Sale doctrine says "an individual who knowingly purchases a copy of a copyrighted work from the copyright holder receives the right to sell, display or otherwise dispose of that particular copy, notwithstanding the interests of the copyright owner."  

Note: I can certainly see that there must be something out there to address a large agency such as a school reusing such items over and over vs. repurchasing them.

• Like 1

I use laminating pouches slid over pages and the kids write with ultra fine point sharpie. They use q-tips dipped in rubbing alcohol as erasers, and I clean the sheets with a paper towel and rubbing alcohol after we check them and go over mistakes. I do this even on workbooks that are pdfs printed out, it saves a ton of waste and expensive replacement workbooks. My youngest gets the thrill of writing in/on them if he wants to, or he may want the fun of using all the fun colors of the sharpies too ;)

The bolded is not true. Unless the publisher gives permission to make multiple copies, you cannot make copies, including digital copies (such as by scanning). If a parent wants the student to write his answers in a separate notebook or use an overlay, they are not making a copy so there is no violation of copyright law. The only way it would be a violation would be if the student copied significant parts of the book into the notebook — e.g. a student can work math problems and write the answers on a separate page, but he can't copy the entire text into a notebook.

• Like 4

The bolded is not true. Unless the publisher gives permission to make multiple copies, you cannot make copies, including digital copies (such as by scanning). If a parent wants the student to write his answers in a separate notebook or use an overlay, they are not making a copy so there is no violation of copyright law. The only way it would be a violation would be if the student copied significant parts of the book into the notebook — e.g. a student can work math problems and write the answers on a separate page, but he can't copy the entire text into a notebook.

I don't know the legal details, of course, but I would just point out that intellectual property laws do go beyond the actual copying/duplicating of materials (e.g., If I work for a company that comes up with an idea and has intellectual property claims to it, I can't just go into a new company and use the same idea, even if it's just out of my own memory).

I would imagine that the article referenced was thoroughly researched with legal experts (rather than just lay-people like me doing their best to interpret the law) before being published - especially as it is likely an extremely unpopular idea amongst homeschoolers. It's hard for me to imagine them publishing such an article if it really were just as simple of an issue as "don't make physical copies of the workbook."

PS. I'm coming from a fairly unbiased perspective (not wanting to make an argument or something), since I am the OP who was originally *trying* to decide how to best reuse workbooks. :)

I've found that using the workbooks is the way to go for my family. I have 4 kids. My 5th grader has homeschooled since first grade. I'm teaching a 2nd grader and a K'er (who is doing first grade or higher work in all subjects). My younger two school aged kids are not using a single workbook that my oldest used. :p Now there is some overlap between the younger two in math... they're both doing CLE Math. I would not want to copy or reuse those in any way though. They're already in nice, inexpensive workbooks that are easy to manage. I'll pay the $32.50 to replace the workbooks for that subject each year.

And my youngest... Who knows what she'll need. I might use completely different curriculum with her, possibly something that doesn't exist yet (hey, Beast Academy 2 might be out for her!). Frankly, I get bored easily and don't even want to use the same curriculum with all 4 children. I could probably handle it with #4 because of the age gap (almost 6 years), but the ones that are 2.5 years apart... no desire really to reuse everything, except CLE Math since it's independent. I don't get bored of that one so easily. ;)

Don't most workbooks tell you whether or not you can make copies? I have materials that tell me that reproducing it is fine, but other materials state that I may not. (This is just for the ethical questions.)

Other than that, I've found it's best to get a new copy for each kid. We tried not doing that and it's a hassle trying to keep the books in good condition for the next child. I'd rather let each child fully embrace their book rather than have to constantly exclaim: "hold it carefully!" "don't rip the cover!" "erase that pencil mark!" I got tired of it. It's like sending kids out to play in their church clothes: frustrating for all involved.

• Like 1

I don't know the legal details, of course, but I would just point out that intellectual property laws do go beyond the actual copying/duplicating of materials (e.g., If I work for a company that comes up with an idea and has intellectual property claims to it, I can't just go into a new company and use the same idea, even if it's just out of my own memory).

I would imagine that the article referenced was thoroughly researched with legal experts (rather than just lay-people like me doing their best to interpret the law) before being published - especially as it is likely an extremely unpopular idea amongst homeschoolers. It's hard for me to imagine them publishing such an article if it really were just as simple of an issue as "don't make physical copies of the workbook."

PS. I'm coming from a fairly unbiased perspective (not wanting to make an argument or something), since I am the OP who was originally *trying* to decide how to best reuse workbooks. :)

I'm familiar with many aspects of intellectual property law (I've worked on patents that were granted in 7 countries), and I worked in publishing for years before I had kids. People pointed out to the writer of that article, on her blog, that the claims about reusing workbooks were false and requested that she either cite the law or correct the errors, but she claimed that since ONE lawyer had looked at the article and approved it, she would neither correct it nor cite the law that backed up the claims.

I'm sorry but that lawyer is mistaken. It's true that workbooks and other items deemed consumables cannot be copied at all — not even the usual small excerpts that are allowed as "fair use" for other materials. Here is the rule, directly from the US Copyright Office, that applies to consumables:

b Prohibitions

1. 1  Copying to create or replace or substitute for anthologies, compilations or collective works.

2. 2  Copying of or from works intended to be “consumable†in the course of study or of teaching such as workbooks, exercises, standardized tests and answer sheets and like material.

3. 3  Copying for the purpose of performance, except as in A(1) above.

4. 4  Copying for the purpose of substituting for the purchase of music, except as in A(1) and A(2) above.

5. 5  Copying without inclusion of the copyright notice which appears on the printed copy.

However, there is NOTHING in the law that says you can't write your answers on a separate piece of paper, or use an overlay, or fill in the whole thing and then erase it. As long as you don't copy it, you can do whatever you want with it — that is your right under the "first sale doctrine."

It's quite possible that a specific contract between a specific publisher and a specific school district could include a clause requiring that the district buy a separate workbook for each student — i.e., publisher will provide X# of textbooks, X# of teacher's manuals, and X# of workbooks, and the district agrees to purchase a separate workbook for each student each year. But that has nothing to do with individual families buying workbooks for their kids — if you buy a workbook from Amazon (or wherever) and you want to use it for multiple kids, and even resell it when you're done, you have every right to do so, as long as you didn't make a copy of it.

• Like 9

I've switched to just buying separate workbooks for each kid, mainly because it's less hassle, not much more expensive (if at all), and easier for me to file their stuff away for later reference (if needed).  My two don't have much trouble with bound workbooks, though if they ever do I'm quite willing to dismantle the workbooks and put the pages in binders or folders (binders while working through them, folders for less bulky filing afterwards).

• Like 1

It's so much easier to just buy workbooks and have the kids fill them out. Especially for elementary aged children.

Where I have reused, though, is when I use something as a supplement. I may only have a child do a few exercises or a few pages here and there. Not worth it to go back and erase or to buy a whole new workbook then. And as they get older, it is not as big of a deal to have them write in a notebook.

Also, if something you like is out of print or you think it will be soon, it makes sense to keep it clean until all kids have had a chance to use it. My kids are not allowed to write in the old (OOP) Singapore CWP books, because I like them better than the newer ones and I have more children in line to use them.

I don't fully understand the laws. I do feel uncomfortable with the idea of having the whole family copy out of the workbook into a notebook and then reselling the workbook. Although, after my kids have been through it, I am not sure it would be reusable, anyway! I am more okay with using one copy among the family, even though I don't generally do that, as I said above. Workbooks are generally cheap. Where it gets harder for larger homeschool families, I think, is when the workbook is more extensive and is more the price of a larger hardback book or a textbook.

• Like 1

If one of my kids starts a subject (in a workbook) and I find it is not a right fit for them, many times I will erase their work, and put it up for the next child just in case it may work for them.

I have erased partial books many times, and then donated them as well.

I have had two partial books that are the same, and I will copy some of one ( or rip out)  and add to another to make a whole, and throw out the other used part.

I have never used protective sheets with dry erase.

I don't know.  

I'm familiar with many aspects of intellectual property law (I've worked on patents that were granted in 7 countries), and I worked in publishing for years before I had kids. People pointed out to the writer of that article, on her blog, that the claims about reusing workbooks were false and requested that she either cite the law or correct the errors, but she claimed that since ONE lawyer had looked at the article and approved it, she would neither correct it nor cite the law that backed up the claims.

I'm sorry but that lawyer is mistaken. It's true that workbooks and other items deemed consumables cannot be copied at all — not even the usual small excerpts that are allowed as "fair use" for other materials. Here is the rule, directly from the US Copyright Office, that applies to consumables:

However, there is NOTHING in the law that says you can't write your answers on a separate piece of paper, or use an overlay, or fill in the whole thing and then erase it. As long as you don't copy it, you can do whatever you want with it — that is your right under the "first sale doctrine."

It's quite possible that a specific contract between a specific publisher and a specific school district could include a clause requiring that the district buy a separate workbook for each student — i.e., publisher will provide X# of textbooks, X# of teacher's manuals, and X# of workbooks, and the district agrees to purchase a separate workbook for each student each year. But that has nothing to do with individual families buying workbooks for their kids — if you buy a workbook from Amazon (or wherever) and you want to use it for multiple kids, and even resell it when you're done, you have every right to do so, as long as you didn't make a copy of it.

Hmmm. Thanks for sharing this. For me, this is one of those areas where I'm not an expert, so I have to trust someone who is one, and it's just hard to figure out (as an outsider!) what it all means. I'm pretty curious about this from a strictly theoretical standpoint, now. :)

If the law is as clear as you're saying, do you have any ideas about where they got their interpretation from? It must be based on *something*, and I wonder what it is?

Some workbooks specifically give permission to make copies for use within one home or one classroom (if a school wants to use it for more than one class, then they need to buy a book for each class). I don't think those give permission to resell after making copies. I have a 300 page workbook that gave permission to make copies--I made copies for my 2 kids (took it to the UPS store, which had a good rate), and it cost me $30 (ouch) for 2 sets. At the time I was thinking I'd be able to resell the workbook (original price was about $30), but I'll have to look at the permission page...I don't think I legally/ethically can.

If the law is as clear as you're saying, do you have any ideas about where they got their interpretation from? It must be based on *something*, and I wonder what it is?

IMO it comes from authors/publishers who want you to believe it to be true (understandably wanting more books to be bought).  Same as a blurb in the front disallowing reuse or resale.    However just because the publisher says you cannot reuse/resell does not actually take away your rights to reuse/resell.

• Like 7

Hmmm. Thanks for sharing this. For me, this is one of those areas where I'm not an expert, so I have to trust someone who is one, and it's just hard to figure out (as an outsider!) what it all means. I'm pretty curious about this from a strictly theoretical standpoint, now.  :)

My guess with reference to the specific lawyer who was quoted in that article is that she may have experience with contracts between publishers & schools, and that aspects of those contracts are being incorrectly attributed to general copyright law. In many cases there is a statement of "fact" followed by a "supporting" statement that doesn't either follow from, or support, the first one. For example:

Unless the publisher gives permission for purchasers to make multiple copies, you must buy a separate workbook for each child. Whether your children write directly in the workbook, on notebook paper, or use an acetate overlay, a consumable workbook that has been used in any way, even if no writing appears on its pages, is still “used†and may not be reused without violating copyright law.

In this case, the 2nd half of the first sentence doesn't even follow from the 1st half — the publisher's right to prohibit the purchaser from making multiple copies does not in any way equal a mandate to buy multiple copies. The publisher has no right to demand that someone buy a copy of their book for every child in their family! This is one reason why I suspect that the lawyer who is quoted here was thinking in terms of institutional contracts, not copyright law. And the second sentence makes no sense at all — copyright law does not give the publisher the right to dictate how you use a book that you legally own, nor can they define "use" in such a way that merely reading it makes it a "used" book which can never be used again! This is completely absurd.

Here is another instance where the "supporting evidence" doesn't match the claim (bolding is original):

I don’t think it’s unethical to photocopy workbooks. Just because they’re sold as a consumable resource doesn’t mean they need to be used as a consumable.

The US Copyright Office states: “There shall be no copying of or from works intended to be ‘consumable.’†We can certainly have personal beliefs about this sensitive topic, but what we “feel†or “think†does not trump the law. We’re obligated to use the materials as specified by the copyright.

The implication here is that because workbooks are considered consumables, you must therefore "consume" them by using them the way the publisher hopes you will (using them once and only once). This is NOT what the law says. Consumables, such as workbooks, are separated as a category because the concept of "fair use" applies differently to consumables (i.e., you can't even copy small excerpts, as you can with nonconsumables). That doesn't mean that the first sale doctrine no longer applies, or that the publisher suddenly has the right to dictate exactly how you can and cannot use a book that you legally own.

• Like 5

Given that the writer of the article in question is the author of WriteShop, a program with requires a student workbook, it is not as though she is an unbiased, disinterested party.  ;)  I saw this when it first came it and it left a bad taste in my mouth, because it seems to refer to words that are not in the law or even implied by the law.

• Like 1

Just to point out that the spirit of the law is that you buy a workbook for each kid who uses the *material*, however it is that they do it.

Just to point out that the spirit of the law is that you buy a workbook for each kid who uses the *material*, however it is that they do it.

That may be the publisher's preference, for obvious commercial reasons, but there is nothing in the law — in word or spirit — that says only one person may use a workbook, any more than the law says only one person may use a textbook or read a novel. If you legally own it, you have the right to use it in whatever way you choose — except for making copies.

• Like 5

I don't have a laser printer and our printer guzzles ink. So I would have to go to a copy shop to copy items. In general, I have found that it is more expensive (and time consuming) to copy an entire item (even if there is permission given, like permission to make copies within a family) than it is to just buy additional copies of the consumables. It becomes even more of a point when there is color of any kind on the pages--then, it is  always better to just buy another workbook for me.  

When I first started out I didn't know that Peace HIll sold packets of the consumable material from the SOTW Activity guide so I had spent I don't know how long having it unbound and copied. Imagine the face palm when I realized it was cheaper (and less destructive to my book) to just order two packets (one for each child) from Peace Hill.  Sometimes we create work for ourselves that is unnecessary, you know!  =)

• Like 1