Menu

Need help choosing a vacuum- disenchanted just knowing nothing I buy will last- suggestions, please?

Sweet Home Alabama

My budget is around $200, but I would like to spend less.  We have all carpet upstairs and mostly hardwood/tile down.  The LG Kompressor canister vac I am using now is beginning to fail; the power brush died last weekend.  I can use it to clean floors, but my greatest need is a durable vac to clean my carpets.  We live in the country and constantly bring in all kinds of debris, and we have a dog that sheds a monsterous amount of fur.

I'm not confident about ANY vacuums that I've seen online.  Seems like you have to spend big bucks to get a more reliable machine.  I cannot stomach spending $600 or more on a vacuum.  

Please tell me there is a budget-friendly vacuum that will deep-clean carpets without dying in the next five years....

Is $200 an unrealistic amount for this kind of vac? 

What is the best bang for the buck in vacuums?....vacs to clean carpets, especially.

I bought a dyson from amazon warehouse about 7 years ago. It was refurbished so the parts are different colors. I don't care though. It still works great and cost about $300. Over your budget, I know but I thought I would at least share the idea of looking at refurbished from reliable business.

• Like 1

I agree with MSNative and looking into a refurb.  We bought a Dyson about 5 years ago (a refurb from Best Buy.)  We paid about $300 for it, and it has been wonderful.  The roller quit moving a few weeks ago, so we took it to a repair man.  We spent $100, he fixed a belt and did a tune up, and it is like we have a brand new machine again.  The repairman told DH to never get rid of our model, because the quality of newer vacuums (no matter the brand) have gone way down (his shop was full of the Dysons with the balls--all needing repaired.)  I would possibly call around some vacuum repair shops, and see if they have any to sell.  Our Dyson is a DC14 (ours is blue, but it also came in a bright yellow, as well as a purple pet version.)

• Like 1

Pay attention to weights. I have a Hoover that was the Consumer Report winner one year. It is 24 pounds which doesn't sound like a lot but it is way too heavy for stairs.

• Like 1

I am not so sure about brands, but I do know that Dyson vacuums seem to show up quite often on woot. Amazon owns woot btw, so it is a real company, not a fly by night. I know a few people who have got their Dyson off woot and like it very much. There is the main 'woot' and also home woot, so be sure to check both.

www.woot.com

I know what you mean about disillusionment though.  I inherited my aunt's classic electrolux and that bad boy is amazing! I can't imagine what we are going to do when it dies. The company has changed and people tell me they product just isn't the same.

• Like 1

The thing about Sharks...

I keep reading how they are prone to fall over.  I've had a vacuum like that before, and I don't want another one.  It still seems that Shark is VERY loved in spite of that based on the sheer number of reviews on Amazon.  

I hope to shop in town this weekend and try some out for myself.

I am also amazed at Dyson's popularity, but there is a catch there too.  In reading reviews about other vacs, Dyson owners will frequently say, "I own a Dyson, but I hate it....won't ever have another one."  And they list their reasons.  It's as if they bought into the perfect vacuum bandwagon but became disillusioned when their should-be-perfect Dyson breaks down.  The thing there is that Dyson is so expensive, that it really hurts to be out that $600 or more.

I understand buying refurbished considering this kind of expense.

• Like 1

The repair guy we talked to said that there is no reason to spend huge amounts of  money on vacuums (Kirby, Electrolux)...but that all the newer vacuums were made to replace.  That is why he recommended the Dysons from a few years ago.  His top pick was an older Oreck...but he said the newer Orecks are not made of the same quality either.  

I really like my Shark.

I had a Dyson for 7 years before this. I grew to really hate it because it was so heavy.

I'm guessing part of the reason the Shark falls over is because it's light. The falling over doesn't bother me too much and I know I could solve the problem to some extent by taking the canister off and carrying it around with me.

• Like 1

Thanks, again, ladies.

I don't usually post on this board, and I'm amazed at how fast it moves.

I'm really just bumping back up, but so far (and I'm not surprised) the obvious winners are Shark, Dyson, and Miele.  These are the most popular on Amazon, anyway.  There are a couple of Hoover and Bissel vacs that get good reviews, but I just don't have a good feeling about their reliability at all even though they fall within my budgeted amount.

Is there a better place to shop online that Amazon?

Honestly, I paid under $200 for my Shark and I vacuum 2000 sq ft at least once a week. It has already lasted a year. If it lasts another year, I'll feel good about it. Nothing is built to last 20+ years now.

If you go with a Shark, make sure to check the price at Bed, Bath and Beyond and then use a coupon!

My favorite vac is a Shop Vac. They are made to suck up all kinds of debris, from tinyl screws to chunks of wood. They come with different types of brushes, but not with a brush that is powered itself. I like it because it works well on bare floors and thin, oriental types of rugs as well as on regular carpets.

The smaller models, which I find work just fine, are about $50-60, iirc.

My dh would agree with you, Alessandra! They definitely are powerful, and I think they last. What I don't like though... the very LOUD noise and the power-brush. Those creature comforts are hard not to have especially when vacuuming takes a good hour or so +/-.

Yes, they are loud. But after going through a few inexpensive regular vacuums that were fine on carpets because of the power nozzle, but not good on bare floors, I decided to switch. Picking up larger bit of dust and debris, turning the hose upright, and feeding gobs of dust into the nozzle got old fast (and yes, I made sure the hose was not blocked). So the noise is a trade-off.

I also have two old Electrolux machines. Service work on them is astronomical. I would rather spend money on books.

I am completely, totally head over heels in love with my Shark Navigator. 

I had a really good vacuum (a Kenmore something or other that was discontinued) and loved it, but it died.  Then I bought a $200 Hoover and suspected I was actually pushing more dirt down into the carpet by running over it than was actually being sucked out. 

I bought a Navigator and I was right.  The amount of dirt and dog fur that gets sucked up is amazing.  Gross, but amazing.

It does tip easy, but that doesn't bother me, but only because the canister part easily detaches from the floor brush part and is so light I carry it around when I'm vacumming the hard floors or the stairs or otherwise using the hose/wand.  The whole thing is just designed well.

My dh was skeptical but he loves it, too.  My parents have a Dyson and they hate it.  I have one person who told me I needed a Dyson, but they had to have theirs repaired.  I forget the cost, but knowing how long they've had it, what they paid for it, and what they paid for the repair it worked out cheaper even if I have to buy a new Shark every year.

I bought mine at Costco, and the hard floor attachment from ebay.

I love, love, love mine.  Really love.

• Like 2

There are Kenmores in your price range.  I have a kenmore canister (the blue one, top model) and it has lasted quite well for us.  I bought my mother the kenmore upright (silver) a year ago.  By the time you buy the cheaper sweepers that die every other year, you could have bought one that lasted longer.  I didn't want it dying on her, so I went kenmore.  I looked at the shark upright and it wasn't nearly as nice, too prone to things.  You need a canister anyway.  The hard floor wand pulls out of the carpet attachment on ours, so it's easy to go back and forth with mixed floors.  When I looked at Miele, I would have had to pay a ton more for what the Kenmore does just fine.

Do you have rugs at your entrances?  We're rather rural, and my dh works construction, so we have the issue of dirt coming in the house.  We have a rug (carpet remnant) in the garage so that catches for round one.  Then in the breezeway another rug, in the mudroom a rug, and in the door from the mudroom to the kitchen another.  So by the time you walk on my floors, your feet have wiped on *4* rugs.  Sounds crazy, but it works awesome.  We had a thread a while back about keeping floors "sock clean" when you live in the country, and that was the biggest suggestion (besides the obvious ones like taking off shoes), to use multiple throw rugs at entrances.

Have you seen the special brush for thinning dog hair to reduce shedding?  Might be another thing to consider.  You rake him once a week and it gets the worst of it.

I've had excellent luck with Panasonics. I have two of them (one upstairs, one downstairs). I am hard on my vacuums (pretty much daily use, lots of hair) & I do have to take them apart once in a while & clean out the joint where the beater brush attaches. I get hair accumulating there & eventually gumming them up (the worst is not the dog hair, it's my ds's waist long hair...). After about 5 years use, I had to buy a new beater for just under $30 but it works fine again. Replace belts annually.

Kenmore uprights are often made by Panasonic btw. One of mine is branded by Kenmore. (kenmore doesn't make anything, they just stick their stickers on. If you want to know what the actual brand of a kenmore is, check this http://www.appliance411.com/purchase/sears.shtml) Sometimes the Kenmore versions are cheaper than the other brand but the quality is just the same...

• Like 1

What a timely thread. I googled and youtubed and could not get my vacuum back to working. It's spitting debris all over the place. :(   I am lamenting the poor quality of vacuums anymore. My first Hoover was $69.99 on sale at the vacuum store (which they used to have) and lasted for 20 years.  Nothing has come close. I'm tempted to shop used stores for someone's old Hoover model!

Lisa

My budget is around $200, but I would like to spend less.  We have all carpet upstairs and mostly hardwood/tile down.  The LG Kompressor canister vac I am using now is beginning to fail; the power brush died last weekend.  I can use it to clean floors, but my greatest need is a durable vac to clean my carpets.  We live in the country and constantly bring in all kinds of debris, and we have a dog that sheds a monsterous amount of fur.

I'm not confident about ANY vacuums that I've seen online.  Seems like you have to spend big bucks to get a more reliable machine.  I cannot stomach spending $600 or more on a vacuum.  

Please tell me there is a budget-friendly vacuum that will deep-clean carpets without dying in the next five years....

Is $200 an unrealistic amount for this kind of vac? 

What is the best bang for the buck in vacuums?....vacs to clean carpets, especially.

Since you have two floors with different kinds of flooring, you need two vacs: a canister/tank for downstairs, an upright for upstairs. I have an Electrolux canister for downstairs, an Electrolux upright for upstairs. They're both over 10 years old and still going strong.

I LOVE my 25yr old Kirby.  We had to have the cord replaced once--$35.  It just works great.  We do not have stairs though.

My dd's share a small house (1400 sq ft) and have gone through 3 vaccums in 2 years (at an average of $150 each!  They tried taking them in for repairs but repair price was higher than new...

I tried a Dyson a few years ago-- it died exactly one week after the warrany expired and the cost to repair was almost $200 (parts and labor).  I dug my Kirby back out of storage and have been content ever since.

• Like 1

I have a Meile canister. It was about $400. It works great on carpets AND hard floors and is lightweight enough to do the stairs. It's not hard to carry upstairs, so I only need the one vacuum for both floors. (I'm vacuuming the stairs anyway.).

I know it's more than you wanted to spend, but it's less than $600. A few years down the road the sting of the price tag will be gone and you'll be SO glad to have a great vacuum.

I bought my Dyson as a refurbished basic model about 12 years ago. My mom has had her Dyson even longer. If mine died tomorrow I would save up for another Dyson. It is over your budget, but you might find a good deal on a refurbished one.

I just checked, and eBay has some great deals, with free shipping. The prices on overstock.com don't look bad, either.

Our Shark Navigator Lift-Away has been going strong for at least four years now, and it only slows down when I get lazy and don't keep the brush/thick foam filter clean. I bought extras of all the washable parts so I can swap them out while they dry. It has never lost a belt (unlike my old Kenmore, for which I became an expert belt replacer). And it is light enough that I use it on the stairs regularly.

I don't LOVE it, but I really really like it, and that's saying a lot given all the crummy vacuums we've owned :lol: I'm very happy with the weight, sturdiness, performance, etc. I don't love that it's bagless (what a mess! How on earth did bagless vacuums ever get a rep for being better for those with allergies?!), and I don't love that there's no way to get in around the beater bar to clean all the hair off it (we have three long-haired girls in the house, so it's a lot of hair). I usually end up sitting on the floor with a utility knife for awhile, sawing away at it. 

Other than those two things, though, I'm very happy with it and would buy another without question when this one goes. I don't expect it to die for years yet, given its current powerful performance. 

ETA: I've never owned a Dyson, but my mom ended up unhappy with hers. It worked beautifully, but when a part broke, she had a heck of a time getting it fixed. When the second part broke, she bought a new vacuum. Hers was less than three years old when things started breaking on it. 

• Like 3

I've had my Fantom since I was pregnant with my 16 year old (and I got it used).  It's still powerful.  We vacuum 3x per week, minimum.  We had a chow mix and now a great pyrenees, plus I have long shedding hair (once my dh took a dead bushing to the repair shop and asked the guy for a replacement because this one had burnt up......the guy turned it over and over in his hand and finally gave it back and said, "that's not a bushing, that's hair"). We also live in the country, which seems to mean more dirt coming in (why don't town people get as much dirt?  what is the secret?).  Anyway, this vacuum just handles it all.  It's getting older now and one light is dead and the switch doesn't work (we just plug it in to turn it on) and my dh replaced the plug a couple years ago, but the motor keeps going.  The plastic is also cracked in a number of spots, but I think that's just us being hard on it. 

I haven't seen one in the store for ages, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, especially a used one.  I think they were about $300 last I knew.

We have a Kenmore canister that was the top-rated on Consumer Reports when we bought it a few years ago.  It was in the $400 range. Love it.  It works beautifully.  It has a hard floor setting and a carpet setting - we only have a few area rugs.  It goes almost flat to get under furniture.  And it's not too heavy.  It's also bagged, which we prefer for asthma reasons.

I don't care for Dyson.  Our last cleaning help used a Dyson, and just l.o.v.e.d. her Dyson.  She would not use ours.  But her Dysons did a terrible job.  She was always having trouble with one of them, and having to go out to the car and get her "other" Dyson.  But neither of them worked well, and one or the other was often in the shop being repaired.  When they did work, I did not feel like our floors were as clean.  She also managed to make dark streaks along our newly painted baseboards with some attachment on her machines.   :glare: But I think that was probably user error.

I love the Shark. Mine is at least a few years old and runs fine. I have not had problems with falling over. I'm not even sure how that happens.

Before that, I had a Dyson Telescope. The thing is a dawg. I still have it because I like the way the hose and attachments work, however it stinks on my upstairs carpet. The Shark does the carpets great and it is easy to maintain.

• Like 1

I just got a Miele last year.  It was life-changing!  As monstermoma mentioned, even a toddler can use it (and my toddlers do -- I catch them plugging it in and vacuuming if I leave it unattended).  It is so simple and lightweight and does a fabulous job.  We had a carpet in the basement playroom that was so disgusting I had thought of ripping it out when we moved in, but our Miele was actually able to clean it.  I vacuum so much more now that it isn't such a chore lugging around a huge canister vac, and I can also ask my 6 and 7-year-olds to vacuum when I need help.  We had a cleaning lady for a few months, and learned about it from her.  She said it was an investment on her limited budget, but that it was well worth it to have a top-quality vacuum.  

It is a bit more than $200, but well worth it, considering the warranty and service we get from our local mom & pop vacuum store.

• Like 1

On a related note our two top-of-the-line Kenmore vacs (one canister, one upright) were nightmares.

but as I said above, that is because Kenmore isn't a brand, it's a sticker. So you might have had ones that were perhaps a bissell or hoover & someone might have had a panasonic --- but each would get sold at sears as a kenmore & lead to differing experiences & reviews....

• Like 1

Wow, ladies!  I had to break away and go grocery shopping- then there was supper followed by a power nap in front of the tv. You get the idea.  

Thank you all so much for your fantastic help!  While I was at Walmart, I got to see their lineup which included some Shark, Hoover, Bissell, and other vacs. They were all up high and secured to the wall, so I could not get a close look.  Most of them simply looked like cheap plastic- just waiting for some poor soul to come buy them- promising to break without warning.  See, I really am disenchanted.  Ha. 

I'm going to digest this post again and try to glean specific information from it.  I hope to actually put my hands on a few over the weekend.  I feel like that is what will help me choose one.  

You know, I just wish these machines were still made like they used to be.... I could spend a little or a lot on any machine and any one of them could be a lemon or a cherry. You just never know what you're going to get.  Some companies are more reliable than others.  I wish I had thought to ask that question in the OP.  

Thanks again!

When I used to spend $100 to $200 for vacuum cleaners, mainly Hoovers, I would have to replace them every 3 to 6 months (very large house). My housekeeper finally convinced me I would save money with a Dyson. I have now owned two, and both have been working fine for over 5 years. I did have to take one in to replace the hose I lacerated by sucking up stems, dirt, and leaves on the patio. A rock did the damage, but I have had no other problems. I still use it inside and outside.

I also have a Shark (Rotator - blue).  I bought it for just under $200 at Sam's and it came with a free steam mop which I sold on Craigslist for $25 new.  I have had it for a little over a year and it is still works great.  I like that I can wash the filters and dust/dirt/lego collector so it doesn't get as nasty as my old bagged vacuum did.  I would rather spend less on a vacuum and be able to purchase one again sooner than spend $500-$600 and feel it will take years before being justified.  Our old house has a lot of carpet and we get infested with these ladybug-like beetles every year so our vacuums seem to get gross quickly.

• Like 1

I agree with BlossomGirl - I prefer to spend less and know it won't last me 10yrs than be disappointed.  Besides, perhaps they'll keep perfecting the engineering and I may want the "newest" innovation.

Anyway, we bought a Panasonic 3.5yrs ago and it's still going strong;

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-MC-CG902-Canister-Vacuum-Cleaner/dp/B003AM711G/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1425039655&sr=8-4&keywords=panasonic+vacuum

We just got our first dog, so it hasn't quite had enough time to see if it will hold up with dog hair.   I have wood floors with area rugs downstairs and carpeting up.  The only thing I don't do with it is the stairs.  I bought this hand-held just for stairs, and I love it.   It's usually one of the chores for my youngest son (now 13), so yeah, I love it because I never have to do it  :)

http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-EasyClean-Corded-Hand-Held-71B/dp/B0006HUYGM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1425039863&sr=8-2&keywords=hand+held+vacuum