Menu

Need help choosing a vacuum- disenchanted just knowing nothing I buy will last- suggestions, please?

Sweet Home Alabama

Anyone use an Electrolux Sanitare? If my 20+ yo Electrolux upright ever dies. I will consider buying something commercial like this:   http://www.amazon.com/Electrolux-Sanitaire-EUKSC888K-Heavy-Duty-Commercial/dp/B0017D4KDM   In the meantime we always seem to be able to replace a broken part ourselves easier/cheaper than buying a new vacuum. I've replaced the bag, the handle, the roller and the motor fan blower and it is still going.

I have an old mighty mite canister I use for the car , etc when I need to reach something with a hose. We bought it for $4 at a garage sale years and years ago. It's not working very well now so I just bought a small rigid shop vac to replace it. Apparently, unbeknownst to me, Dh has been using the mighty mite to vacume leaves out of cars, stuff in garage,etc., so the shop vac may be better for the way he is using it.

We used to buy $100 vacuums and go through them yearly. About 10 years ago we bought an expensive $700 Miele canister vac and we have yet to be dissatisfied or even need repair on it. I think with vacuums, you get what you pay for. If you have the money for a longer term investment in a vacuum, you may be happier.

I just got a Miele last year.  It was life-changing!  As monstermoma mentioned, even a toddler can use it (and my toddlers do -- I catch them plugging it in and vacuuming if I leave it unattended).  It is so simple and lightweight and does a fabulous job.  We had a carpet in the basement playroom that was so disgusting I had thought of ripping it out when we moved in, but our Miele was actually able to clean it.  I vacuum so much more now that it isn't such a chore lugging around a huge canister vac, and I can also ask my 6 and 7-year-olds to vacuum when I need help.  We had a cleaning lady for a few months, and learned about it from her.  She said it was an investment on her limited budget, but that it was well worth it to have a top-quality vacuum.  

It is a bit more than $200, but well worth it, considering the warranty and service we get from our local mom & pop vacuum store.

:iagree: In fact, now it's a pleasure.

I love my Miele completely. It fills up quickly but I think that's because it does a good job of getting the dirt out. It's manoeuvrable, the plastic seems strong, and it's easy to change the bags. It's simple but everything functions just like it should.

:iagree:

I had bought at least a dozen vacuums (not an exaggeration!) in the past 10 years and then I bought a Miele with a recommendation from a friend.

Best vacuum ever! It's so quiet I can talk in the phone in a normal voice while cleaning. I have the plain swivel head for hardwoods and it contorts to any angle I wish. AND you can't beat the suction of German engineering!