Menu

Have we talked about spiral notebooks?

I searched, but didn't find anything. 

http://amongstlovelythings.com/spiral-notebooks/

A small group I'm a part of is raving over this. I'd like a wider variety of opinions.  Has anyone tried it? 

I already have a LARGE notebook planner. I have a column for each child each day. I fill in his assignments and check them off as they are finished. It sounds very similar to what is described, except that I own it and there are no chores on the checklist. Chores are posted on the wall. 

I'm thinking that this would accomplish a couple of things:

1. Sagg works independently. It would require more of a check in with me. I would have to fill out the book each day and he would have to turn it back in to me. I trust him to work on his own for pretty much everything. I don't check in with him nearly as much as I should.

2. Aries is incredibly scattered. I could put EVERYTHING from personal hygiene, to chores, to school in the book and require him to check each one off. This would possibly help prevent him "forgetting" to do tasks, even after multiple reminders. 

3. My binder is HUGE and unwieldy. I would love to streamline or possibly even eliminate it. 

My concerns:

1. Redundancy. Would I just end up writing everything twice? Or 5 times? Once for myself, once for each kid?

2. Time and stress. Will I spend more time tracking down notebooks than they would save? Will this become yet another thing to lose, ruin, and fight over? Will I resent and dread sitting down every afternoon to write everything AGAIN? Will I have to give up something I'd rather be doing for yet another mundane task?

3. Organization. I like to keep things simple. I don't like messes and loose parts. Will these be another pile of stuff that I have to contend with? I have some ideas for corralling them, but I don't need ONE MORE THING to be responsible for. I know, in theory, the kids are responsible for them, but is that how it really works? Or is it just one thing that I will have to stay on top of them to be sure they stay on top of it?

We're coming off of our holiday/baby break. I feel the need to streamline our process so that we can add things back in without adding a ton of stress. I don't have a lot of extra time or energy just now. My kids are reasonably responsible and highly cooperative, but my personal resources are at a low point. I need things to run fairly independently. Will this system help?

• Like 3

I'm not sure I can answer your specific concerns, but all I know is that we started it this month and it really works for us!  In my own notebook, I have a list of what subjects need to be done each day for each child.  So I just check that while I'm fillling in my dc's notebooks and then add specifics such as lesson numbers, additional assignments and "meet with Mom" notes for certain subjects.  I add music practice and occasionally chores.  We have a lot of independent assignments going, and it helps me remember to check up on them to be sure they are on track.  (with 5 kiddos I can be bad about that)

It has also really helped with some things that were getting overlooked.  For instance, dd's math curriculum tells her to review flashcards, but we both were forgetting.  I now write it in her notebook with a check box and can see at the end of the day if she remembered to do it or not. 

It works for me for all the reasons Sarah mentioned.  It also gives a good record of what we actually accomplished each week rather than just a "plan" we hope to accomplish.  We even started the booklist in the back since I always lose the ones I start.  We keep the notebooks with the rest of their school books so they aren't lost.

ETA: my own notebook is just a little spiral I keep in my purse and on the counter during the day.  It just has my lists in it...school, house etc.  It was my way of bringing the simplifying process to my own life.  I truly love it more than any fancy, pre-printed binder I have done before!

• Like 2

I searched, but didn't find anything. 

http://amongstlovelythings.com/spiral-notebooks/

A small group I'm a part of is raving over this. I'd like a wider variety of opinions.  Has anyone tried it? 

I already have a LARGE notebook planner. I have a column for each child each day. I fill in his assignments and check them off as they are finished. It sounds very similar to what is described, except that I own it and there are no chores on the checklist. Chores are posted on the wall. 

I'm thinking that this would accomplish a couple of things:

1. Sagg works independently. It would require more of a check in with me. I would have to fill out the book each day and he would have to turn it back in to me. I trust him to work on his own for pretty much everything. I don't check in with him nearly as much as I should.

2. Aries is incredibly scattered. I could put EVERYTHING from personal hygiene, to chores, to school in the book and require him to check each one off. This would possibly help prevent him "forgetting" to do tasks, even after multiple reminders. 

3. My binder is HUGE and unwieldy. I would love to streamline or possibly even eliminate it. 

My concerns:

1. Redundancy. Would I just end up writing everything twice? Or 5 times? Once for myself, once for each kid?

2. Time and stress. Will I spend more time tracking down notebooks than they would save? Will this become yet another thing to lose, ruin, and fight over? Will I resent and dread sitting down every afternoon to write everything AGAIN? Will I have to give up something I'd rather be doing for yet another mundane task?

3. Organization. I like to keep things simple. I don't like messes and loose parts. Will these be another pile of stuff that I have to contend with? I have some ideas for corralling them, but I don't need ONE MORE THING to be responsible for. I know, in theory, the kids are responsible for them, but is that how it really works? Or is it just one thing that I will have to stay on top of them to be sure they stay on top of it?

We're coming off of our holiday/baby break. I feel the need to streamline our process so that we can add things back in without adding a ton of stress. I don't have a lot of extra time or energy just now. My kids are reasonably responsible and highly cooperative, but my personal resources are at a low point. I need things to run fairly independently. Will this system help?

I had a friend whose kids are all graduated now who did this. 1 page back/front was used for each day. These notebooks just seemed more flexible than a planner, more like a bullet journal maybe?

I really think she was the most organized homeschooler I have ever known, and I have known a LOT of homeschoolers, lol.

In high school she actually wrote out the notebook maybe 3 to 4 weeks or so in advance, I think.  Her students (and she homeschooled a bonus student all the way from 6 to 12) would add their individual schedules, appointments etc, to the daily pages.  I tutored her kids in Chemistry and they wrote our Chem assignments on the appropriate page.  

hth,

Georgia

• Like 2

I put chores on our checklists as well as any extra-curricular reminders. I'm trying it in spiral notebooks and wish I'd bought a bunch at back to school time! I saw this posted on some homeschool thing on FB... It is one more thing to keep track of though. Each kid has a small Container Store multipurpose bin for his/her daily work, and their assignment book is supposed to live in that when they're not using it. I have been giving them a sticker when it's actually in the bucket when I need it. (No idea why my 11 and 9 year olds like stickers so much, but whatever! :) )

Last year I tried to put everything in a weekly Pro-Click binder. It was much easier to keep up with one thing, but that doesn't work with what I'm using this year.

I don't know. I don't use them, but I can see the appeal. I know that one reason listed at the blog post would never work for me: I routinely put more on my own lists than I can possibly do. So listing things I want the boys to accomplish would be an exercise in frustration for us both. I'm simply far too optimistic when I'm planning. :huh:

I can see how it would be quite useful when teaching a student to keep up with his work and also to gauge how productive he is, or how he could organize his time better, because I end up doing that with my own lists. I find out what I can get done, and adjust accordingly.

It has occured to me that this is no different than a student planner aside from being a bit more flexible. Nothing earth shattering in truth.

it is more Bullet Journalesque. That does appeal to me. I could probably eliminate my own binder if we did these instead. 

Sagg would likely accomplish more with this format. I could add longer term assignments and deadlines. 

Aries would benefit from extensive, detailed instruction, and the accountability of having to check off his list. 

I would definitely use stickers  :biggrinjester:

I pulled out my binder to review. We have completely changed all of our plans. I'm essentially starting a new year  mid-year. Now would be a good time to make changes. My kids are all sick, so I have a few days to pull it together. I did stock up on notebooks. 

We have a designated place for active books and materials. It's a bit sparse just now. We could just keep them there. I suppose. No need to complicate things. 

• Like 3

Sorry...edited because I don't think I answered the heart of your question.

You've edited as I was ruminating and doing dishes. I don't think of this system as inherently sad. Looking at the list in a vacuum, maybe? I don't write the checklist and lock them in a dungeon until it's complete. ;)

Example of DD11's list:

[ ] Math pp. 133-135

[ ] Apples & Pears next lesson

[ ] History Chapter 23, map, chart

[ ] Reading: (list pages)

[ ] Put away clothes

[ ] Dishwasher

[ ] Drama tonight

[ ] Prep

[ ] Pack bag

The fully independent portions are the chores and drama (though she may need me to practice lines). Reading is whatever book she's currently reading on her own. We discuss that in different ways depending on the book and if I've read it. Apples and Pears we do together. Math we start together, then review together. If she needs to work through problems together, we do that too. History usually they read a portion, we discuss and do an activity together, or the reading is reviewing something we've already watched or discussed. I put everything on her checklist even if I'm doing it with her. She likes to know the plan for the day, and it keeps her from asking me 1000 times what's next. She knows my shorthand and knows whether it's independent work or together work. If I'm busy with her brother or a little kid, she can move on to an independent item or gather materials without interrupting. I don't think checklist-style planning automatically shifts the onus to the child. I'm just providing her with an overview of our plan for the day. It doesn't mean she's expected to do all of those things on her own. :)

• Like 2

You've edited as I was ruminating and doing dishes. I don't think of this system as inherently sad. Looking at the list in a vacuum, maybe? I don't write the checklist and lock them in a dungeon until it's complete.

Example of DD11's list:

[ ] Math pp. 133-135

[ ] Put away clothes

[ ] Dishwasher

[ ] Drama tonight

[ ] Prep

[ ] Pack bag

The fully independent portions are the chores and drama (though she may need me to practice lines). Reading is whatever book she's currently reading on her own. We discuss that in different ways depending on the book and if I've read it. Apples and Pears we do together. Math we start together, then review together. If she needs to work through problems together, we do that too. History usually they read a portion, we discuss and do an activity together, or the reading is reviewing something we've already watched or discussed. I put everything on her checklist even if I'm doing it with her. She likes to know the plan for the day, and it keeps her from asking me 1000 times what's next. She knows my shorthand and knows whether it's independent work or together work. If I'm busy with her brother or a little kid, she can move on to an independent item or gather materials without interrupting. I don't think checklist-style planning automatically shifts the onus to the child. I'm just providing her with an overview of our plan for the day. It doesn't mean she's expected to do all of those things on her own. :)

I don't want to derail this thread, which is why I deleted my post. I just want it to be clear that I don't find checklists inherently sad either. As I said, I use them myself.

• Like 1

You've edited as I was ruminating and doing dishes. I don't think of this system as inherently sad. Looking at the list in a vacuum, maybe? I don't write the checklist and lock them in a dungeon until it's complete.

Example of DD11's list:

[ ] Math pp. 133-135

[ ] Put away clothes

[ ] Dishwasher

[ ] Drama tonight

[ ] Prep

[ ] Pack bag

:iagree:   DD and DS both want an overview.  We do a LOT of stuff together because they are both dyslexic and are still remediating some reading challenges (which at 5th and 8th grade affect a lot of subjects).  But they want to know what is coming down the pike for that day and for that week.  Also, anything they can get done independently they love grabbing and just doing whenever they have a moment instead of having to ask me over and over what's next.  It also gives them a feeling of accomplishment and a bit of control as they check things off.

As for the OP, I use a spiral for myself but I was just writing out or typing out checklists for the kids.  I hadn't thought about giving each of them a spiral with things already filled out.  Hmmm.  I like the idea.  And we have plenty of spirals.  Honestly, thought, since much of what we do is fairly similar each day I think maybe I would be better off typing out a form for each of them for each day of the week, along with the things that normally occur, and just printing those out for the week or the month.  I could leave space to add in additional items or make changes.

Thanks for the link, though, OP.  That is giving me some ideas.   :)

• Like 3

I don't know. I don't use them, but I can see the appeal. I know that one reason listed at the blog post would never work for me: I routinely put more on my own lists than I can possibly do. So listing things I want the boys to accomplish would be an exercise in frustration for us both. I'm simply far too optimistic when I'm planning. :huh:

I can see how it would be quite useful when teaching a student to keep up with his work and also to gauge how productive he is, or how he could organize his time better, because I end up doing that with my own lists. I find out what I can get done, and adjust accordingly.

But this solved this for me.  When I typed out lists, or just listed subjects to be covered each day, I usually listed much more than we could accomplish.  But something about handwriting out specific assignments opened up my eyes as to how much it really was. 

• Like 2

Keep in mind that, for whatever reason, my issues were large family issues.  I did things differently when I only had 2 or 3.  Somehow, once I had 5, there became too many parts and pieces of each day.  I can't put it into words exactly,  but this system really addressed my issues.  So I'm wondering if it speaks more to moms of many.

• Like 4

But this solved this for me.  When I typed out lists, or just listed subjects to be covered each day, I usually listed much more than we could accomplish.  But something about handwriting out specific assignments opened up my eyes as to how much it really was. 

Oh, I know that was a listed purpose. Just wouldn't work for me. The only thing that ever helped me not to over-schedule myself was to set a time limit, work until the time limit was up, and THEN write down what I'd managed to get done.  :laugh:

• Like 2

My kids are ages 10 & 13, so I leave any checklists up to themselves to make.  I use a 2-page-per-week planner (desktop size, about 10" x 8"), in which I note down what we get covered each day as we go through the day, and I can write notes ahead if I'm working out a particular progression for a subject (which I only do sometimes for one or two subjects, when we really need to time when we hit good pausing spots before a break or holiday).  Usually one line per subject suffices, and this also gives me a chance to note down any appointments, events expected or unexpected, illnesses, what-have-you that might affect our schooling.  It also gives me the weekend spaces to write down anything we do then that pertains to school, too.  (For example, this past Saturday evening we took the kids to a music concert, and I count that as a field trip for music appreciation.)

Because the notes in my planner are MY notes pertaining to all that we cover the kids did ask that I summarize their assignments for them.  To do this I write yellow sticky notes, one per day, that list the actual "homework" assignments (the work they are to do independently) and due dates.  They have the option to simply keep referring to the day's sticky note, but I've noticed both of them using their dry erase "slates" (lap-sized dry erase boards) for copying down the list of assignments into a checklist that they can mark up, and then erase when they have finished for the day.

My planner is self-contained and quite compact, so when we take road trips during the school year we pack it along with a selection of homeschooling subjects to study as we drive, and I mark down all of the side trips we make along the way.  Road trips are mega-fieldtrips!

My youngest is the early bird who tends to ask me what we will be covering today so she can get right on it.  My eldest is the night owl who doesn't want to get started before she has to, but would rather have a list of things to work from so that Mom "has less opportunity to boss me around" (can you tell she's 13?).  Both kids want to work more independently, so after breakfast in the mornings we have "class time", in which we discuss subjects together, go over assigned work already done, and I present material and/or actually instruct certain subjects.  It's as we are doing this and I see how smoothly (or not) any subject is going for them that I determine what the next round of assignments are.  Usually "class time" is done well before lunch, and the kids work independently or together until they are finished.

Youngest was still getting frustrated with wanting to work ahead before I had planned out the next round of assignments, so I talked her through thinking out the progression herself for our sequentially-arranged subjects.  I told her she didn't even need me to declare what comes next in these as she can simply work ahead if she is ready to do so, which seems to have satisfied her for the time being.  If it doesn't and she thinks she's working too far ahead I'll either find more work (academic or household) for her to do, or will look into letting her pick up an additional subject of her choice.

Thanks for the link, though, OP.  That is giving me some ideas.   :)

I agree -- Thanks, OP, for starting a good thread!

To note:  I vaguely recall hearing the term "bullet journal" before, but had the impression this was some product for sale somewhere.  Seeing the mentions here sparked my curiosity, and the bullet format structure seems (at my first 5 minutes of looking, at least) simple enough to not be time-consuming yet organized enough to find my sundry notes on a topic afterwards.  I'm going to give this a try for life in general for a spell (not just homeschooling).  It might be a handy format to teach to my kids.

• Like 2

I'm a mom of many, although not all of them are doing school yet, and I do not see the spiral notebook thing working for me. It would take me too long to write everything out each night, and if I didn't have time to do it one night, we'd be out of luck the next day. So I prefer my OneNote checklist, where the kids know that they simply do the next thing for each subject. If I want them to do something different one day, I note that. I could print out the OneNote sheets and have done that sometimes, but generally, it just works fine to have it on the computers. My older two kids are able to do quite a bit of their work independently.

• Like 2

Thanks for the link, OP! I was able to pass this along to my friend who has been wanting to do something similar!

Now, sorry for taking this a bit off topic. 

To note:  I vaguely recall hearing the term "bullet journal" before, but had the impression this was some product for sale somewhere.  Seeing the mentions here sparked my curiosity, and the bullet format structure seems (at my first 5 minutes of looking, at least) simple enough to not be time-consuming yet organized enough to find my sundry notes on a topic afterwards.  I'm going to give this a try for life in general for a spell (not just homeschooling).  It might be a handy format to teach to my kids.

Look up the group Bullet Journal Junkies on Facebook. (I'd post a link, but Facebook is restricted when I'm on work wifi.) I've gotten TONS of ideas for bullet journaling. 

I love my friend's bullet journal. No idea how she finds time to do it all, but hers are always so cute and artistic. 
This is just how she has hers organized. 

• Like 1

I think you have to be very disciplined to keep up with the spiral notebook every day. I tried this recently and started out really well. It helped my kids get back on track doing schoolwork after our long holiday break. But then, well, my second grader's notebook has a list for 2/4 and then the next list is 2/24. (Hanging my head in shame...) She has done tons of "schoolwork" between those two days - I just haven't written it down.

• Like 3

We have clipboards with a weekly checklist, and things they need to do with me are shaded and things that are independent aren't. The checklists are mostly the same every week. They just say things like "MUS 100%" for math. The night before or the morning of, I put their next math page (sometimes with a sticky note to watch the lesson) onto their clipboard, and that's the page they do. 

This is the second year I've done it this way and it works pretty well. It would drive me nuts to handwrite all that every evening. :) But I do reserve the right to make notes or adjustments on their checklists throughout the week.

• Like 1

cajunstrawberry asks:

Will this system help?

No one system will work for everybody.  (That's why we homeschool!  :)  )

****1) But to try this, what are you out?  At worst, you are out a few spiral notebooks, and a couple of weeks of trying something crazy that doesn't work.  How many of us have paid $$$ for a curriculum that wasn't what we thought is was, or wasn't a good fit?  This seems like a low-risk project to try.

2) Be realistic about what it will and will not do for your household.  It may work for one child, but not the other (which would still be a victory IMO).  It may work for two years, but then not be a good fit after that (which would also still be a victory IMO).  You and your  children may or may not hear the Hallelujah Chorus as the schedule gets checked off, and the dishes still may not get done before 8pm. 

3) Personally, I am very excited about this system.  Thank you so much for posting it!  We will be trying it soon, I hope.  *Duckens wanders off, humming the Hallelujah Chorus.*

• Like 5

I have tried something similar in excel, but somehow typing it, printing it, and putting it in their weekly folder was hit or miss. I usually do hand written lists, but never thought to put them in a notebook for some reason. They were just loose and the girls threw them away when done. I think I am gonna try this. Making a list before bed definitely helps me turn my brain off to be able to fall asleep easier. Something about not having to plan and remember because it's already written down...

I've been using spiral notebooks all year. They have transformed from a daily checklist to a weekly one and I am finding I far prefer the weekly. I make a list and we work down the list throughout the week - the list is kind of looped a bit so we just work in order and everything eventually gets accomplished this way. With a baby, this has really helped. Math is listed at the top and is a must do each day, but is a blank list that I fill in after I check through that days math. My 5th grader is independent for the most part, coming to me from time to time for help and clarification, but I check in with him daily to see how he is doing. This is the only thing I write in daily based on how he is doing. If he needs more practice on a skill I give him more practice. If he is ready to move on, I put the next lesson.

Some weeks we barely scrape by and I feel like only math gets done. Others are so awesome that we finish the entire list with plenty of time to spare. Most fall somewhere in the middle of this. On Friday I write up the list for the following week. The first thing on the list is whatever we didn't accomplish this week. Then I add to it from there. 

Oh, I should note I have two lists. One for my 5th grader and one for my preschooler. My preschooler doesn't have official school of course, but I've found that if I don't have a running list for him I'd never make time to cook up a batch of play doh or pull out the rice tub or have a messy art day or whatever. So I list a bunch of fun things to do with him and work through the list the same way.

• Like 4

I'm just about to start a new routine/plan, although I think that I will probably type up the lists (one for Monday, one for Tuesday, etc.) and just edit slightly each evening and print a new one for the next day. (I've also thought about having a "standard list" and a "the-house-is-getting-too-messy-so-we-need-to-do-some-extra-chores-today list.")

My biggest change is that we are going to move the independent work to the morning and the group work (or work that requires me, like AAS and AAR) to the afternoon. My kids seem to like doing most work with me-- it is the independent work that causes grumbling.

In her blog post, Sarah says, "Each morning after breakfast, the big kids do their one morning chore, dress and brush their teeth, and then they set to work on their school notebooks. Instead of feeling pulled between teaching a lesson, caring for toddlers, and setting on soup for dinner, I go about my business with the little ones and the kids go about theirs." THIS is what I need to happen in my house! I don't mind working with my kids, but I think that our days will flow more smoothly if we save that for the afternoons.

One thing that I want to try is using the lists as a way to determine breaks. My kids like to take A LOT of breaks. Too many, and it really slows us down. The problem is that they feel that if they do any work at all (even 10 minutes!) they should get a break. They also don't always move efficiently from one subject to the next. We've had problems in the past of all the "hard" things on the checklists always getting pushed to the end of the day, and not always being completed.

I will set up the lists similar to this:

Watch math lesson

Complete math assignment

15 minute BREAK

Unload dishwasher

Practice piano songs 3 times each

Review vocabulary words

15 minute BREAK

Complete one history lesson

Complete one science lesson

15 minute BREAK

Put your laundry away

Complete one writing lesson

Practice math facts for 10 minutes

15 minute BREAK

The kids won't have to go in order through the list, but they can only have a break when everything in that section is checked off. I am hoping that this system will still allow each child to have some freedom to choose the order that they complete their independent work/chores, while also limiting breaks to times after they have actually accomplished something! The main problem that I foresee is that the kids will want to have their breaks at the same time...in that case, I think that I will let the break time be "saved" for later as long as the child continues to work. Anyway, we'll see!

Thanks for starting this topic. I've been thinking about it a lot.

• Like 5

We did start doing this a little while ago.  The kids REALLY like doing it this way.  As others have said, even things done with mom get written down.  My monkeys like knowing what's in store for the whole day. My methodical child likes to work in order down the list.  My whimsical child enjoys the freedom to change things up and pick whatever she's in the mood to from the list.  . .which is fine. As long as everything gets done, I don't really care what order it's done in.  My whimsical daughter is also a morning person, so while the rest of us have yet to have breakfast, sometimes she's typing or playing the piano. The list being ready when they wake up is really helpful. :)

• Like 3

I love my friend's bullet journal. No idea how she finds time to do it all, but hers are always so cute and artistic. 

This is just how she has hers organized. 

I completely understand her comment about loving the feel of a "used up" paper. I like the feel of pages filled with writing and doodling as well.

I like the idea of this, but I'm not sure it'd be practical in my situation. My oldest is pretty independent.

Her list would be like so, with the starred ones being ones she needs me to do with her:

Typing

Piano

Math

Spelling *

Grammar *

Writing *

Reading

Latin

My 7yo's down to bare basics for a bit:

Math (MAYBE independent)

Reading *

Spelling *

Writing *

And my 5yo's:

Reading *

Spelling *

Math *

See how many stars there are? I need to actually micromanage their time and subjects so we are not hitting all three of them needing me now while I'm trying to wipe the 3yo's butt and put the 1yo down for a nap.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses. Very helpful. 

I'm definitely going to do this. 

#1 Sagg's assignments are too thin. He has complained that he finishes his work too quickly and doesn't have enough to do. I can write not just subjects ( I will be adding more), but also how much to do ( four chapters of history with notes, 20 minutes typing practice). I can include nontypical projects (4H portfolio, organize bakeware cabinet, clean out your closet, tidy your bookshelf) in addition to regular chores and assignments. 

#2 Aries can have exceptionally detailed instructions:

• Brush your teeth
  • Feed the dog
  • Sort laundry from your bedroom
  • Sort laundry from nursery
  • Read one book from your bookshelf. 
  • Write the title and author on your list

#3 Aries will benefit from scheduled breaks. I will have to work on breaking it up in little chunks. Three chores, break. three school works, break. etc. 

#4 I will do one for myself. Mine Will be more BJ style with to-do lists, chores, calls to make, etc. I need a new BJ, so I will combine that with my preprinted sheets in  NARROW binder. It can act as my command center. I'm a paper and pencil girl. I need to write stuff out. 

#5 Setting aside an hour of quiet, alone time to work on all of these will be highly beneficial to me. I will not only write out their assignments, but also update calendars, make phone calls, and schedule outings. Perhaps filling in the journals once a week would be more efficient? and the I can adjust as necessary. Hmm. Not sure if I can effectively plan that far ahead. We already have this time set aside. I can use it this way to feel more on top of my game. 

#6 Planning ahead and having it all written out will hopefully cut down on the "what do I do NOW?"s and help me from trying to wing it on the fly. I'm sure we're missing a lot just because I am forgetting in the moment that I wanted to make glitter paints this afternoon. Hopefully if the kids can see that they have glitter paints promised in the afternoon, they might be more motivated to get things done in a timely manner. 

Alrighty. I'm excited to start this. If nothing else, 

• Like 3

I write all our stuff in my bullet journal. And, as a PP said, the act of writing it out helps me keep the amount reasonable. Anyway, for a while each child had a notebook (basically a copy of mine with fewer abbreviations). But we switched to me writing their lists on the whiteboard because the cats kept sitting/standing/sleeping on the notebooks. :coolgleamA: :lol:  I'm thinking about going to a clipboard, but for now the (huge) whiteboard works. I just write each child's work in their own color.

• Like 1

I like the idea of this, but I'm not sure it'd be practical in my situation. My oldest is pretty independent.

Her list would be like so, with the starred ones being ones she needs me to do with her:

Typing

Piano

Math

Spelling *

Grammar *

Writing *

Reading

Latin

My 7yo's down to bare basics for a bit:

Math (MAYBE independent)

Reading *

Spelling *

Writing *

And my 5yo's:

Reading *

Spelling *

Math *

See how many stars there are? I need to actually micromanage their time and subjects so we are not hitting all three of them needing me now while I'm trying to wipe the 3yo's butt and put the 1yo down for a nap.

Uh, yeah, life of a homeschooling mom. lol.

The student having their own checklist helps me with that. We start out with our group time (Circle time, morning time, basket time, memory time, whatever it should be called), then I do one thing with my 5 & 7yo (imo, the 5yo doesn't *have* to do school at all, but he can sit in on the 7yo's lessons and I can give him spelling words, math pages, etc. to do next to me while I'm actually working with the 7yo). The 9yo & 11yo do what they can independently from their list, in whatever order they want. When I'm done with the middle kids, I call the 9yo and we do Latin (that's not a starred subject?? Mine need hand-holding the whole time) and whatever subjects he'd already attempted but needed help with (I check his math and we go over any errors). Then he corrects his math more if needed, finishes something else, or keeps working, and I do the same thing with the 11yo. Both of them sometimes also need another clipboard/work check/tutoring time after lunch after the baby is down for a nap, but they try to start off everything independently, so then when I sit down with them, they've generally hit their question-point or roadblock and we can work where they have a question, which makes it a lot more effective.

But writing and grammar instruction time is saved for once a week when I do a class with other kids and my own, and my younger kids are not around and calling for bathroom assistance. :) During the week, we work on their homework where they need help. 

The older kids have enough on their list where they can keep busy with *something* until I call them for their tutoring time, and being interrupted by toddlers is just the way our life has always rolled, as is probably the case with you, looking at the ages of your kids. :) After 20-30 minutes teaching time (and group time) with the 7yo (she just turned 7, this is more like her 1st grade year), she's done for the day except for drawing, reading, playing outside, and those sorts of things that are just living life and not school assignments at our house.  For the older boys, if they play LEGOs or otherwise goof off before their clipboard is complete, they lose their computer privileges for the day. They do have "run to the end of the road" on their list, so they can intersperse some fresh air and movement when they feel like they need it, but not playing and not lounging around reading, either. 

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My kids all have composition books for their work and I can just write their list in there each day or week. With our current programs for math and language arts it doesn't really matter how their work looks but when we switch to ELTL I will want them to start a new one and keep their copywork and narrations pretty. If we switch to S-U math I will do a lot on scratch paper and orally whereas now their math answers for Saxon go in their composition book with everything else.

I do wish you could buy composition books that have the backs of the pages blank for sketching. I know you can buy spiral notebooks like that but pages get ripped out too easily so I prefer sewn composition books.

I do love the idea of being able to put special papers in my composition book using stickers to hold them in. We will have to try that.

Can someone explain to me the difference between a bullet journal and a composition book? I do everything in a plain, cheap composition book and each lasts about a year.

A bullet journal is a style of journaling not the type of book you journal in.  You can do a bullet journal in a plain cheap composition book.    They suggest a grid style book but it's not required.    The heart of bullet journaling is to write everything down as  bullet in the next open space and use the toc/index to find the actual pages for reference later. You can 'collect' related bullets on one page (such as a book list) but if you fill that page, you just jump to the next open page to continue.     I have found  some parts of bullet journaling very useful -- but I just take what works and leave the rest.  For example, I haven't found a way for the actual 'bullet' part to work well yet but the 'collection' and 'just jump to the next open page' ideas  have worked very well for me.

I am so excited about trying this method. I was just thinking about how I can best schedule the kids' work and was getting so confused. This method is just simple, and I desperately need simple. I will have 4 doing school this next year. I'm familiar with bullet journaling and that is exactly how I see this method. I am first going to fill in a 36 week table of each child's assignments so I can refer to it as I fill in their daily notebook. With my Ker and 2nd grader Ive made a separate journal of my daily goals for them to check off when we've completed it, since everything they do is dependent on me still. The older two will have their own notebooks. They will also use their notebooks for that day's written work so it is all in one place and easy for me to check. When the notebook is filled I can tear out the school assignments and put them together in a folder if I want to keep them. This method is great for me because it just simplifies everything and keeps me accountable. I have a bad habit of going days without checking work, then having to back way up when I realize a child got many problems wrong, isn't understanding the material, and didn't tell me. It keeps me in the game.

My kids are younger and don't do much independent work do I don't know if it will help or not. I do know that any subject I spend a couple of minutes thinking about the day before goes more smoothly so it may help with that.

I am trying to slow down and make sure material is actually absorbed though and I wonder if it would put me back into rush mode feeling I had to get each thing checked off.

Bullet journaling is  a method, not a product. http://www.bulletjournal.com/

I just use a notebook, not a grid. 

We are a couple of weeks in. Here's what I have so far. 

Success! 

These are great. The kids like having their own checklist, with the appropriate amount of detail for each of them. They are managing their time SO much better. No more "NOW what"s and "Mooooooom, I NEED you"s. I included morning and afternoon chores and personal hygiene as well as schoolwork. No more nagging. THEY manage themselves instead of Me managing them. 

I am still making adjustments. Today I added notes to turn in the assignments I need to see, since they seem to not come to me with the notebooks. When they do turn in their work, I am able to correct it and make notes with a calm, clear head. Not something I've been able to do on the fly in the midst of chaos. Huge time saver. The note-leaving and work correcting does help me to maintain a better connection to my kids as well as get my points across more efficiently 

I changed Aries's math to a Spectrum workbook from MEP. This seems to be PERFECT for this system. I give him a brief instruction, he does the work and puts it in the pile for me to correct when it's done. Wham, bam, thank you ma'am. 

Even with the work that requires my participation, this system seems to be working well. Before, there was a lot of whining about waiting for MEEE and when am I going HEEEEELP and  we're waiting for YOUUUUUUU. Now, they know what else they can do while they wait. They aren't just stuck on that next thing. My Kindy, of course, needs me for everything, but he knows he can color or play with puzzles and he has chores to do. They are approaching the day in a more holistic fashion than just seeing it one piece at a time. 

The one down side is that I write SO much, every day. It's so repetitive. I'm thinking I might write each task and add 5 checkboxes for the week instead of one page each day. 

• Like 5

The one down side is that I write SO much, every day. It's so repetitive. I'm thinking I might write each task and add 5 checkboxes for the week instead of one page each day. 

I have been using and tweeking this system for a while as well and I have found that the above works much better for my 10 and 7 year old.

For my 12 year old the daily break down works best because like you I am able to give detailed instructions about various assignments. However, I have found that it is completely unrealistic for me to write out his lessons each night so I write out a weeks worth at a time and this seems to be working very well. Anything that doesn't get completed gets and arrow to the left of the box for checking off indicating that it has been moved ahead to a new day. I try to leave room at the bottom of each day to accommodate this but if for some reason there is not I leave the next page blank.

Then I think I was already bullet journaling for myself but I just don't have a TOC.  Now I want to go back and glue one in for this year's book (which is almost full) and last year's book.  I am looking forward to doing one for the kid's though.

Another thought, is that one could add in messages to the bottom of the pages to encourage the child....like little love notes......Or not so lovey notes.....

• Like 2

Another thought, is that one could add in messages to the bottom of the pages to encourage the child....like little love notes......Or not so lovey notes.....

I LOVE this idea! I might even throw in some stickers, my 12 year old will roll his eyes but deep down I know he would love it.

I use a spiral notebook for each kid but I do a weekly list. We've done it the past two years and it works great for me. 

At the top of the page in one corner I jot down the activities for the week so that they can see what else is going on and think about time management. Then I just write down each subject and put assignments or boxes to check.

Off to the side I put down other things they might want to work on/think about. Those are things that don't have to be done that week (Scout badges they are working on, props for a play, a special piano song for church, etc). It's just a reminder to them to keep those things on their mind.  

I see it as a way for them to work independently but it's also just an easy way for me to see at a glance what I've planned and what we have to do. I like checklists and this is actually a way for me to step back and be less checklisty. (If that's a word.) Since I don't do it daily it leave flexibility in each day but keeps us organized and on track for the week. It's mostly my 6th grader who works independently. I work outside the home part-time. My husband is the one home when I'm at work but I've done the planning. This way, If I'm later getting home one morning, C. can go ahead and start school without me without wondering "what am I supposed to do today". My 3rd grader likes to see what he has planned for the week and usually I use it along with him to help him choose what to work on next. Or sometimes if I'm working with the 6th grader or Ker and the 3rd grader is done with an assignment but wants to do something else I can tell him "look at your notebook" until I'm done with the other kids. 

The Ker has a notebook but hers really only serves the purpose of making her feel like a big kid. :) 

• Like 2

I saw this and considered it but decided that what we do works better for us.

For the kids learning time managment/checking things off: We do magnet boards. It's been working well for the couple of months we've been doing it.

For the specific assignments (that aren't "do the next one"): excel. I do the specific assignments by the week in excel and print it out for my older son. This gives me the flexibility to move things to the next week and it is easier for my son to read. Seriously, asking my son to read my chicken scratch in a notebook would be a form of child abuse. My handwriting is truly terrible.

For knowing who is supposed to be where/when and blocking out study time around outside activities: I have a Day at a Glance Planner just for the boys. This helps me keep track of the overall picture and see if we can do any given field trip or such. I hate having a paper calendar on top of my Google calendar, but it works better for us to have a paper version. I spend a few minutes each night making sure everyone's calendars are workable.

Is it simple? Simple enough for me. But I have a small family and we have a lot of things going on.

Their magnet boards, they made their own designs. th_0c171efe-763e-44eb-af0a-657fe9966044_

Just to mention:  I'm liking this bullet journal idea, now that I've tried it for a few weeks.  I don't do multiple days per page.  I typically do multiple pages per day.  But that's just becaue I like to blather on in ink from time to time.  Quite handy, and very adaptable!

Thanks again, OP, for a great thread!