Menu

Bedroom flooring??

Moxie

We're having the master bathroom gutted. I'm trying to convince DH that we should rip out the bedroom carpet and get the tile put down in the bedroom and bathroom. The carpet is in bad shape so it is going eventually. DH is afraid tile will be really cold and noisy. If we went with tile, I'd cover a good portion of the floor with rugs.

Thoughts on tile in the bedroom??

I've had tile in the bedroom before. Most of it was covered with a large area rug, but the room was huge, so there still was a lot of tile. It was cold, even though we lived in the tropics. And it seriously did not help when my plantar fasciitis flared up.

I don't dislike it enough to rip it out if it's already there, but I wouldn't put tile in the bedroom of my own choice. I'd prefer hardwood, which tends to be warmer, not as rock-hard, and a little quieter. If my husband really wanted tile in the bedroom, I'd lobby for in-floor heating, and I'd probably still want rugs over as much of it as I possibly could cover.

No carpet in the bathroom. No. No. You want a hard surface that can be cleaned *and disinfected* in the bathroom.

Of course you would use some area rugs on the floor. You could also put heating elements under the tile.

One of our bathrooms has hardwood floors. We love 'em. Of course, our whole downstairs (except for the bathroom and laundry room) is hardwood, so hardwood in the bathroom looks right.

We had hardwood in our bedroom for years, we now have carpet and I much prefer carpet. I do have hardwood in the rest of the house but I like my carpet in the bedroom.

Same here. I have hardwood in every living space other than bedrooms and bathrooms. Carpet gets a bad rap, but for bedrooms, it is cozy. Tile in the bedroom? Yuck. Ugly, cold, just yuck. If your bedroom doubles as a convenience store, maybe; otherwise, no.

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  The tile is going in the bathroom (do people put carpet in bathrooms???) and I would like to continue it out into the bedroom.

Not cozy looking and ugly--wouldn't that depend on the tile??

I think his main concern is a cold floor on his tootsies.

We're having the master bathroom gutted. I'm trying to convince DH that we should rip out the bedroom carpet and get the tile put down in the bedroom and bathroom. The carpet is in bad shape so it is going eventually. DH is afraid tile will be really cold and noisy. If we went with tile, I'd cover a good portion of the floor with rugs.

Thoughts on tile in the bedroom??

Uh oh, now you've done it. You have started down the very slippery slope of home improvement. This is going to grow, and grow, and grow....

First: tile on anything other than a cement slab is subjected to the floor flexing, which can break large tiles. I have to wait for enough damage to justify the expense, but I would like to replace our 12-inch bathroom tiles upstairs with tiny honeycomb tiling. Grout is easier to patch than replacing tiles. If the rooms you speak of have anything other than the concrete slab under the floor then think carefully about your choice of flooring.

Second: having just replaced old, stained carpet (the builders of our house DID SO leave piles of dirt under the carpet and pad!) With ceramic tile downstairs (on top of a cement slab) I can tell you: the tile is COLD (right now during winter, but should feel nice in our sweltering and long summers), LOUD and ECHO-Y (upholstered furniture helps, but sound still carries more now), and HARD underfoot. This is going to be rougher on my knees, unless I can finally train myself to keep shoes on all day. As it is I now have a $300 gel mat in my kitchen, and am considering getting more. (Gel mat was a Christmas present, for the already tiled kitchen floor. New tile flooring was installed in January.)

Here's the big kicker, though, and you had better be well prepared: prep work for new flooring takes longer than you think. You must empty out all of the furniture so you or the flooring workers can move it. While you are packing it all up I recommend decluttering, and don't forget to add boxes and packing material into your budget. You must also have someplace to put all of the boxes, and the furniture while the new flooring work proceeds. You also can't use your room until the flooring is ready -- for tile, to get it laid, set enough to walk on, grouted, and the grout dry can take 3 days by a professional, and longer if DIY.

Third: Once the room is empty and nice new flooring is in you will see just how bad the walls and trim are. Might as well paint or wallpaper while the room is still empty! Add several more days for this, unless you really know what you are doing. Painting our newly floored rooms took 2 coats on both walls and trim, even though we used the same color. We covered the old, flat paint with a satin sheen for better cleanability, and it took a full weekend (with help) to do 2 coats on the walls, and I spent most of the next week working alone to get 2 coats on all of the trim. I haven't yet done doors and window sills, or the fireplace surround and mantel.

Once the floor is able to be walked on and the walls are ready you can put furniture back. Do any changes of room layout now, while the furniture is empty. If you cover any outlets get flat-plug extension cords, preferably with 3 prongs instead of 2 (if in the U.S.). Also clean any ceiling fans, lights, and air vents while things are easier to get to.

Then you can unpack your belongings again, and I recommend doing a lot more decluttering. Don't put anything back in your refreshed space unless you truly need it or truly love it there.

Here's the big gotcha: once you do one room you will feel compelled to do more rooms. You will want the new flooring to extend throughout the floor, and probably the whole house. You will feel similarly about the walls, and you will start looking at your window coverings and door hardware, too.

So, plan carefully, and consider not only cost, but where you will put things and what you will do while the work goes on. Our kitchen was filled with furniture and our homeschool room was torn apart, so we ate out or ate takeout and had homeschool lite in the master bedroom for two weeks.

Also, if you can do the walls BEFORE the new flooring, so you won't panic as much while the painting is going on.

Oh yeah, we ended up with other incidental costs, too, like replacing switch plates and cracked outlets. Our $150 paint job blossomed into more than $600 of Home Depot purchases, and we borrowed most of the painting gear or it would have been higher.

Good luck with your project. It will be well worth it, but think through every step of HOW the work will get done and plan accordingly before you even buy any materials. We hired out the carpet removal and tiling, and I thought 10 days to empty 4 rooms would be enough. I got sick during that time, though, and fought hard to get everything cleared in time. I packed and moved a lot of stuff I'm getting rid of now, simply because I couldn't think well during much of the packing.

I'll be rooting for you!

Oh, and when we replace the old carpet upstairs and on the stairway we plan to put in hardwood. I don't want carpeting ever again, with all of our allergies. In a previous house we had Pergo, and found it very echo-y. I hear it has improved since then, but I'm still sold on hardwood. I would have preferred linoleum or vinyl tiles for the kitchen and bath, but DH hates those. I liked them when we had them in our previous house, even on top of a cement slab.

If we ever build a house again I want terrazzo throughout the ground floor.

Not cozy looking and ugly--wouldn't that depend on the tile??

No. Well, maybe if you are doing marble tile and furnish your bedroom to look like Versailles. I know of a house in our neighborhood in which a previous owner tiled the bedrooms. It was on the market for years and only sold when a flipper bought it and tore out the tile. Everyone knew it as "the tile house." I live two streets over and have never been inside, but even I know it as the tile house.

Lol. Really?? This makes no sense. There are so many other things involved that can make floors squeak. Sure, tile is hard, but carpet burns for Teadrinkers( and I hate that word) can really be a pain in the ....😜

Carpet burns.   :lol:

We don't do carpet anywhere for health reasons.  Think dust and dander amassing in massive amounts.  And outgassing.  The VOCs are not healthy.  But we have a kiddo with asthma and high VOC levels so I am hyperaware of that stuff.  They do make (I think) some low VOC healthier carpet alternatives though - probably wool.

I think tile in the bedroom would be fantastic, if it's what you want.  We have hardwood, because it worked better with our house/style.  But I would not hesitate to do tile.  You can find some great throw rugs if he's worried about warmth.  

We built our home 20 years ago.  At the time my oldest had terrible allergies.  The doc suggested that we put hardwood/solid surface flooring in his room.  We also wanted it in other areas, but with 3 babies I thought we needed a few carpeted areas.  I'm happy to report we have finally gotten all the carpets taken out and hardwood put in place.  LOVE IT!  There are many more options now than in the past - from real hardwood to engineered wood flooring to laminate (lay it yourself).  We put area rugs around and periodically send them out for cleaning.  

We have rentals and have been contemplating replacing carpets with laminate flooring in the bedrooms.  The warranties are great and the price is the same as a cheap carpet/pad.