Menu

So we moved. Most annoying problem? Get this. . .

Alicia64

Yes, I have a gps. I should also add that I've never been in a car accident. (Knock wood.) And I haven't had a ticket since I was about 22 yrs. old.

But, even using the gps -- being new to our state -- I don't exactly, precisely know where I'm going. I mean, versus drivers who have lived here for years and years and have driven these same roads for eons.

Even w/ the gps, I'm not as fast on the highways, not as decisive re: do I turn here? Or in 20 feet? etc. etc.

So I'm constantly feeling like other drivers are tailgating me or irritated with me for not . . . having lived here for a billion years.

You know what I wish? I wish I had a bumpersticker that said "Brand new -- don't tailgate me!" Or, "I'm, like, 102 years old -- give me a break!!" Or "brake" -- get it? :)

My question for you: is it just me? Or do you wish our cars could communicate something to those behind us? I mean, beyond that we love our poodle or are proud of our honor student or whatever.

If it's just me, please tell me.

Alley

I've told DH for years I need one of those little red ticker screen things that I've seen businesses have for my back window, where I could have ready sayings I just hit a button for. 

Like " Get off my behind!"

"You have a blinker, use it!" 

"Well, bless your heart!"

etc. 

Tailgating is one of my biggest pet peeves, and it seems that people do it more and more.  And I'm not a slow poke driver by any stretch of the imagination!

I've heard of a bumper sticker that I'd love to get.  It reads:  "Sorry for driving so close in front of you."

I don't think it has anything to do with your having lived a shorter amount of time than they have. Or to put it another way, that they have lived there longer than you have. They are jerks. They would be jerks if they were the newbies in town. They cannot help it, bless their hearts.

Just stay in the far right lane as much as possible so they can pass you on the  left. Slower traffic should keep to the right. And try to do the speed limit, but at least if you're in the far right lane, you're doing what you're supposed to be doing, and they can pound sand.

I agree. It makes you really self-conscious. We've been having that issue too! It didn't help that our first rental house was in a spot that the GPS wouldn't even pick up. So for a while we had to drive for a bit before it realized where it was. It made for a very hectic two months trying to figure out how to get around town for sure.

We just were driving in new cities with a GPS on vacation.  One of them was LA.  Oh my gosh, the LA freeways are nuts and I live smack in the middle of a top 10-15 metro area.  We felt EXACTLY like that.  I swear the drivers there were extra fast and extra aggressive too.  The other 2 cities were actually not nearly as bad. 

Both DH and I really had a hard time with scale and the GPS too.  "In one thousand feet, turn left".  Hello genius Siri - give us a damn street name!  There are 4 turns coming up!  We made many wrong turns that way.

Both DH and I really had a hard time with scale and the GPS too.  "In one thousand feet, turn left".  Hello genius Siri - give us a damn street name!  There are 4 turns coming up!  We made many wrong turns that way.

I love that.   :glare:  I always want to say, "Hold on while I get out my measuring tape!"  I'm terrible at guessing distances. Some spatial issue, I guess.  I especially like the dump trucks that have a sign that tells you to stay back 500 ft.  When we're going down the road and I see one of those I always say, "I would if I knew how FAR that was!" The kids are never amused.   :lol:

Atlanta can have some aggressive drivers, so it's possible. It's also possible that it's your anxiety feeding you something more to worry about when you're already anxious about driving. If that makes sense...

I've seen handwritten signs that say NEW DRIVER, but they're generally people new to this country and seem like a "Hey Mr. Policeman, pull me over!" magnet. ;)

As long as you're not going under the minimum speed limit, I'm with Ellie! :)

My now-17 year old started her independent driving with a magnet on her car that said "NEW DRIVER." She swears that people were nicer to her. We just loaned it to a friend who is learning to drive, and she says the same thing. My driver drove around Atlanta in rush hour with it and was given a wide berth; it might be worth a shot until you get used to things. I got ours on Amazon.

It's not you. It's the new place. I had the opposite thing happen to me when I moved from the Baltimore suburbs to the corn fields of Pennsylvania. In Baltimore I was tail-gated constantly. All the time. I do not enjoy speeding, so I would dive the speed limit and once in a while 5 mph over.

When I moved up here, I drove the speed limit, and sometimes slower if, like you, I was unsure where my turn was. No one tail-gated me. If I slowed down, so did they, even when I was slower than the speed limit.

You can't even compare the "traffic" here with the Baltimore suburbs. There are so few cars on the road here that it doesn't deserve the name traffic. So, there's not that mad scramble to get someone. The people don't care so much how fast or slow you are. I had never known how stressful driving was in Baltimore. I thought it was normal. After a few weeks of people driving slowly around me I discovered how pleasant driving can be and realized I had been stressed without knowing it. It has been wondrous.

If I were you, I'd be prepared for tailgating to be your new norm. In Baltimore no matter how fast you drove, someone was always rightbehind you.

Where is your car registered? I remember moving to PA and *everyone* tailgating and honking until I had my plate changed. The day I got my PA plate I never had another problem. I would advise a change of plates asap (unless you've already done it and then I can't help you, lol)

There was one time in my life when I really really wished my car could communicate.  In fact, I seriously considered using a translator to come up with a sign.  

I was in Germany in a non-tourist area for work.  My rental was totaled and the only car they had to replace it was a high-end BMW.  I was told that in Germany that was the car for those that considered themselves really good but aggressive drivers.  It was a stick.  I'd been forced to learn on a stick, so I knew how.  But, going from work to the hotel I had to take a left turn at a light and I swear the hill was 45 degrees.  And because people assumed I had a clue, they would GET RIGHT ON MY BUMPER ON THE LIGHT!   It was so traumatic for me I left the car parked at work, and walked back and forth to the hotel and for dinner.  I made a co-worker tear up when I told him that I'd rather walk.  The sign I considered was "Student Driver".  

If I were you, I'd be prepared for tailgating to be your new norm. In Baltimore no matter how fast you drove, someone was always rightbehind you.

:iagree:   That's how it is around Atlanta. And I'm still not well adjusted to having to yield my right on green to the oncoming left on green. (Have you noticed the overuse of yield signs? One of every corner?) And no one thinks they have to stop at a red light if they're turning right. So get used to that too. I hate driving around here!

Get one of those big yellow "Student Driver" placards for the back end of your car and folks should give you plenty of leeway!

Honestly, I've felt the same way after cross country relocations. I resorted to turning on my hazard blinkers sometimes when I needed to slow down and watch carefully for an upcoming turn.

It's not you. It's the new place. I had the opposite thing happen to me when I moved from the Baltimore suburbs to the corn fields of Pennsylvania. In Baltimore I was tail-gated constantly. All the time. I do not enjoy speeding, so I would dive the speed limit and once in a while 5 mph over.

When I moved up here, I drove the speed limit, and sometimes slower if, like you, I was unsure where my turn was. No one tail-gated me. If I slowed down, so did they, even when I was slower than the speed limit.

You can't even compare the "traffic" here with the Baltimore suburbs. There are so few cars on the road here that it doesn't deserve the name traffic. So, there's not that mad scramble to get someone. The people don't care so much how fast or slow you are. I had never known how stressful driving was in Baltimore. I thought it was normal. After a few weeks of people driving slowly around me I discovered how pleasant driving can be and realized I had been stressed without knowing it. It has been wondrous.

:iagree:   In our experiences with traveling, it's not just Baltimore.  It's (most) cities.  People are so rushed in cities and suburbs of them and it just expands to their driving.  In rural areas it's pretty rare to run into it and the few times we do we naturally assume it's a city driver visiting (or a teen guy trying to impress people and doing the opposite).

When we were driving to Baltimore daily many people asked us if we wished we lived there so we wouldn't have to commute.  Uh, no.  Every time we commute we are reminded that we DON'T want to live there (and why)!

And here it's not just the driving that is relaxed.  It's also any lines in stores or the post office or whatever.  It's like a different world.  We can adapt to either, but we sure have our preference when we choose where to live!

Our state fills up with tourists during summer and it's well known which states have the worst drivers (agree with the pp who voted for CT). Maybe I'm extra aware because we've moved and traveled so much, but I always give people from out of state extra space and patience when it's clear they don't know where they are going or know the quirks of our town.

For the most part drivers here are fine, but there is a tendency to tailgate. It's always annoying (and dangerous) but I find it especially irritating on our beautiful country roads, with no other car in sight, and out of nowhere another car will fly right up to the back bumper and stay glued there as if I'm going to simply disappear if they will it long enough. Dude, back off already! I'm daydreaming about 200 year farmhouses here and you're ruining the vibe! Grrr.

When we were driving to Baltimore daily many people asked us if we wished we lived there so we wouldn't have to commute.  Uh, no.  Every time we commute we are reminded that we DON'T want to live there (and why)!

And here it's not just the driving that is relaxed.  It's also any lines in stores or the post office or whatever.  It's like a different world.  We can adapt to either, but we sure have our preference when we choose where to live!

Well, we live in the city (in a tight knit, older home neighborhood) and that is not my experience.  It's the suburban drivers driving in 45+ minutes every day to the city that are nuts.  Like my brother and BIL that live in outer ring suburbs.  They are both crazy, insane, aggressive drivers.  It's not that drivers aren't annoying and aggressive here.  They definitely are.  But living in the middle of the city in a neighborhood, my DH has a reverse commute and we have 20+ secret back routes to anywhere we'd want to go within 15 miles.  I almost never get on a freeway during rush hour.  We know when to shop (i.e. grocery stores downtown with underground parking are dead in the evening, neighborhood grocery stores are dead in the morning).  I can tell drivers going through our neighborhood that don't live here because they're infinitely less courteous about pedestrians and speed.   The people in our neighborhood have more time.  They walk places.  They talk to neighbors. 

I'm absolutely not trying to convince you city life is better.  I'm just saying that assuming life in the city is crazier isn't necessarily true.  We chose to live in the city for LESS craze, moving in from the suburbs and that has definitely been our experience in our city.  No one had time for neighbors or community building in our suburban suburb.  It all felt like a rat race.

:iagree:

Hopefully you don't live in a place where people just love to tailgate...like  they do here.     :cursing:  :smash:    :nopity:  :w00t:     :sneaky2:     :banghead:  :auto:     :rant: Try teaching your dc to drive and you may loose your mind and want to get out and do some in person yelling.  I actually considered making a sign for our car.  New Drive don't be a donkey-butt!

Well, we live in the city (in a tight knit, older home neighborhood) and that is not my experience.  It's the suburban drivers driving in 45+ minutes every day to the city that are nuts.  Like my brother and BIL that live in outer ring suburbs.  They are both crazy, insane, aggressive drivers.  It's not that drivers aren't annoying and aggressive here.  They definitely are.  But living in the middle of the city in a neighborhood, my DH has a reverse commute and we have 20+ secret back routes to anywhere we'd want to go within 15 miles.  I almost never get on a freeway during rush hour.  We know when to shop (i.e. grocery stores downtown with underground parking are dead in the evening, neighborhood grocery stores are dead in the morning).  I can tell drivers going through our neighborhood that don't live here because they're infinitely less courteous about pedestrians and speed.   The people in our neighborhood have more time.  They walk places.  They talk to neighbors. 

I'm absolutely not trying to convince you city life is better.  I'm just saying that assuming life in the city is crazier isn't necessarily true.  We chose to live in the city for LESS craze, moving in from the suburbs and that has definitely been our experience in our city.  No one had time for neighbors or community building in our suburban suburb.  It all felt like a rat race.

Thanks everyone! I'm feeling better. But I want to clarify: whether I'm right or wrong, I'm assuming the tailgating etc. is because I'm new and unsure. I'm not suggesting my state is worse than any other.

When we initially moved to my last state, I had the exact same problem.

Thanks Barb! Changing plates this week! Ironically, I though that having my old plate on would help -- as in, oh, they're new. Nope.

Alley

Changing plates this week! Ironically, I though that having my old plate on would help -- as in, oh, they're new. Nope.

Nah, too many out-of-state plates here--military, college students, regular people who for some reason don't change their plates or are "visiting" long term--for anyone to think you're new to the area.

Years ago, on one of our moves from Idaho to NH, I was driving through a small (NH) town one day when a (NH) driver yelled at me from his car for me to "Change those plates!!!!"   Never had anything like that happen anywhere else we've lived. 

(Oh, and ID has beautiful plates.  I loved those plates.)

So much for "Live free or die!"  Perhaps you should have reminded him to either live his state's motto or move?

I don't think it has anything to do with your having lived a shorter amount of time than they have. Or to put it another way, that they have lived there longer than you have. They are jerks. They would be jerks if they were the newbies in town. They cannot help it, bless their hearts.

Just stay in the far right lane as much as possible so they can pass you on the  left. Slower traffic should keep to the right. And try to do the speed limit, but at least if you're in the far right lane, you're doing what you're supposed to be doing, and they can pound sand.

Many states have laws that require slower traffic to stay to the right. Even if someone is driving the speed limit in the left lane if cars want to pass then the car in the left lane needs to move over. 

Yes, I have a gps. I should also add that I've never been in a car accident. (Knock wood.) And I haven't had a ticket since I was about 22 yrs. old.

But, even using the gps -- being new to our state -- I don't exactly, precisely know where I'm going. I mean, versus drivers who have lived here for years and years and have driven these same roads for eons.

Even w/ the gps, I'm not as fast on the highways, not as decisive re: do I turn here? Or in 20 feet? etc. etc.

So I'm constantly feeling like other drivers are tailgating me or irritated with me for not . . . having lived here for a billion years.

You know what I wish? I wish I had a bumpersticker that said "Brand new -- don't tailgate me!" Or, "I'm, like, 102 years old -- give me a break!!" Or "brake" -- get it? :)

My question for you: is it just me? Or do you wish our cars could communicate something to those behind us? I mean, beyond that we love our poodle or are proud of our honor student or whatever.

Alley

Oh, yes....all tailgaters should be immediately arrested.

I want a neon sign that I can flip on when one of these idiots gets on my tail, dangerously, on wet or slick roads. 

Alley

Speaking of GPS, I once saw a one-square cartoon, that read, "GPS for New Yorkers" 

"Hey, you freaking moron, you missed your turn!" 

I thought it was amusing.