Menu

I think the buyers are The Property Brothers show are really stoopid.

Ginevra

;) I mean, really. They walk into the "set up" house before the show hosts have convinced them to buy a reno. They walk into a beautiful, amazing, updated home and it never (or seldom) really surmise that the set up home is out of their budget by, oh, a couple hundred grand.

Also, I am so tired of hearing the term "open concept."

I don't watch it for the buyers. I watch it for the Property Brothers. Jonathan is my favorite. I will love to help him renovate a house.

Yeah, good point! Jonathan. Yummy.

I was just watching this for the first time tonight. I thought it was dumb the second time. Are you saying that it always begins the same way? Yeah, stoopid.

Yup. Begins the same way every time. "wow! Look at this amazing home with granite everywhere, ten thousand dollar kitchen appliances and hand-scraped Brazilian hardwoods throughout! I'm sure that's right in our budget! " Der, people. Der.

I know, Quill. Why do so many homebuyers fear walls??

I know. I like my walls. I'm rather a fan of rooms that can be distinguished from one another. And

I don't really care for guests seeing my spaghetti pot mess.

Yup. Begins the same way every time. "wow! Look at this amazing home with granite everywhere, ten thousand dollar kitchen appliances and hand-scraped Brazilian hardwoods throughout! I'm sure that's right in our budget! " Der, people. Der.

Yes, and they always look all indignant and huffy about it and say something like, "I can't believe you would show us a house we can't afford!"

Because, you know, they totally forgot that they went to HGTV.com and applied to be on The Property Brothers, which follows the same exact format on every single episode. :rolleyes:

Ok, are all Canadian houses made of chicken wire and bubble gum?? Because, every episode of Love It or List It includes a moment when they discover some massive structural defect that eats up three-quarters of the budget. And everyone is shocked.

Ok, are all Canadian houses made of chicken wire and bubble gum?? Because, every episode of Love It or List It includes a moment when they discover some massive structural defect that eats up three-quarters of the budget. And everyone is shocked.

Yeah, I can't bear that show. It's so formulaic, I can even tell you when the Massive Defect happens. There's generally three Big Surprises and they always come just before the commercial breaks. So it's, "Oh, God! The entire addition was built on empty milk jugs! Well, that will cost twenty zillion dollars and now I can't give you a laundry room!" Every single time.

Yes, and they always look all indignant and huffy about it and say something like, "I can't believe you would show us a house we can't afford!"

Because, you know, they totally forgot that they went to HGTV.com and applied to be on The Property Brothers, which follows the same exact format on every single episode. :rolleyes:

This is what I'm watching right now....and just what I was thinking right now.  But honestly, all the shows have their narratives.  The Property Brother's one is not exactly the worst (Flip or Flop). 

Stefanie

I love that show, but that part bugs me too. Why not just say, "here is your dream house in your dream location and this is what it costs"? I don't know who they think they're fooling. People apply to be on the show!

I hate the phrase "master retreat". We can't have JUST a master bedroom or master suite. It must be a "retreat" with spa-like amenities.

LOL. Unfortunately, my brother's house is. They really should've reno'd it on HGTV. The dramatic and comic (although frightening at times) stuff they find every time they start a project is real. It'd make for great tv, though.

Examples include, but are not limited to:

Shower curtains used as vapor barrier in the basement wall.

Window installed with zero structural support - just a hole cut through drywall and plywood and plopped in.

Patio doors installed with two finish nails. One on each side.

Light fixture/ceiling fan installed just in the drywall board - again, no structural support, not attached to any wood cross beams. Just swinging from the plaster. Above their bed.

There are more that I can't remember right now. Suffice it to say that no one is shocked and actually we rather wait expectantly to hear about the latest "wtf?" moment whenever they start reno'ing a new room.

Yeah, I can't bear that show. It's so formulaic, I can even tell you when the Massive Defect happens. There's generally three Big Surprises and they always come just before the commercial breaks. So it's, "Oh, God! The entire addition was built on empty milk jugs! Well, that will cost twenty zillion dollars and now I can't give you a laundry room!" Every single time.

I hate that one. The British lady, the obnoxious repartee with the co-host, and the narrator.

Lol!! Milk jugs. I watch that show thinking you never can open a house without getting mold, bad wiring, asbestos, rats, etc. I think once they threw me a curve ball... the home needed some approval from city hall and there was no time for that or something.

I did not watch, but saw commercials for the brothers building their own home. I cannot help but wonder... How long would they realistically live there together? I am guessing they do not have spouses? Who gets the place if one needs to move out?

I think it is a vacation home they plan to use for family reunions and such. It is not primary dwelling for either of them.

Mona100, on 07 Jan 2015 - 8:18 PM, said:

I don't watch it for the buyers. I watch it for the Property Brothers. Jonathan is my favorite. I will love to help him renovate a house. 

when dd was house shopping - we were pining we needed johnathan.  we even named one of the houses we looked at the "stupid stove house".  (it was a short sale - and the island drop-in range had been replaced with a regular range - so the back stuck up above the counter facing the family room.  it's now back on the market, kitchen and mstrbth remodeled.  I assume it was a flipper, still needs interior painting.  great neighborhood. . . .   it was one dd was really interested in, but it just needed too much work - and as a short sale, took forever to close.)

Lately I have been wondering if the budget includes the new furniture or if that is strictly staging for the episode and then the people move in their own furniture? Or is the furniture a perk given to the couple by the show?

If it was me, I would not want to buy all new furniture (seems like most/all is new by the end) especially if it meant crossing off something from my wish list.

I wonder about that, too.

I also get annoyed when, on shows like Love It or List It, the homeowners have major projects cut from their renovation wish lists because Hilary says she is out of money, yet Hilary still manages to put a $4000.00 bathtub, a custom-built double vanity, and a multi-jetted custom-tiled shower into the upstairs bathroom. I keep thinking that if she ditched a few of the high-end finishes in the bathroom and made it nice but not lavish, she could have put a whole set of new Ikea cabinets and some mid-level appliances in the kitchen she "couldn't afford" to renovate so at least the homeowners would see improvements in more areas of their homes.

I get that they want some wow factor in the big reveal, but it seems like very often they could do a lot more renovating if Hilary paid a bit more attention to spending the budget wisely.

It would also be nice if they occasionally actually inspected the homes they are renovating, so they would know about big issues before they made a lot of promises to the homeowners and then had to start taking things off the list to pay for the "unexpected" repairs. (I must admit, though, that I think a lot of the problems are staged for drama, and that they probably know all about most of them right from the start and only act surprised about them.)

I think on Love It or List It they vet the homes to make sure there ARE problems.  And they find homeowners for whom a high end, $40K kitchen is a "must have" despite the fact that the aforementioned problems mean that the bathroom remodel gets booted to fix the foundation, roof, whatever. I'd be like, how about you give me a $20K kitchen instead, then you still have $20K to do the bathroom and whatever else got dropped off the must have list!  But I obviously wouldn't be a good candidate for the show, what with my love for walls and doors and my decidedly not high end sensibilities.  I also am blown away when they go into these massively cluttered homes with people living on top of all the stuff.  After the reno, which usually includes only a few storage solutions, the house, of course, looks all pretty and new, but that's before all of the STUFF gets moved back in. So unless these people have done a massive declutter purge, pretty and new is going to look like a mess again quickly.

Property Brothers is better, and I like Jonathan and Drew.  But the "oh my gosh how could you do this to us we had no idea this house was $200K over our budget" does get old. And last night's episode, the first of the new season, was just annoying control freak chick and her dads.  But the most mind blowing thing was their budget--two 20 somethings who still live at home with their parents and their budget is $775K???  What do these people do?  Where do they live? Here you could get an absolutely amazing home for that kind of money--I was amazed at the smallish homes they were looking at and the price tags that go along with them.

My new favorite is definitely Fixer Upper. First of all, because Chip and Jo seem real and fun.  Second of all because the budgets are more in line with my life--$120K on the first episode of the new season.   Budgets do go up for the different episodes, but still C & J can do more on a $40K reno budget than the Property Brothers, and exceedingly more than Hillary. Joanna's style is a little too shabby chic for me, but I like that she finds bargains, and really the rapport between the two of them and their clients is why I watch the show.

Sorry for the detailed analysis. HGTV is where I go to relax :-)

Chip and Joanna are so lovely. I wish I knew them IRL.

I do think the furniture on Property Bros. IS included in the budget. There was one episode where the male homeowner was protesting buying new furniture. When Jonathan asked what was it about his current furniture that he liked, the man said, "It's *paid for*." Plus, J is a Designer, so designing is part (in their eyes) of the reno job. But yeah, I always think that on PB or Love It List It. I think, "You cannot do the laundry room, but you are still buying limes and a crystal bowl to make the kitchen island look awesome?"

I think on Love It or List It they vet the homes to make sure there ARE problems. And they find homeowners for whom a high end, $40K kitchen is a "must have" despite the fact that the aforementioned problems mean that the bathroom remodel gets booted to fix the foundation, roof, whatever. I'd be like, how about you give me a $20K kitchen instead, then you still have $20K to do the bathroom and whatever else got dropped off the must have list! But I obviously wouldn't be a good candidate for the show, what with my love for walls and doors and my decidedly not high end sensibilities. I also am blown away when they go into these massively cluttered homes with people living on top of all the stuff. After the reno, which usually includes only a few storage solutions, the house, of course, looks all pretty and new, but that's before all of the STUFF gets moved back in. So unless these people have done a massive declutter purge, pretty and new is going to look like a mess again quickly.

Property Brothers is better, and I like Jonathan and Drew. But the "oh my gosh how could you do this to us we had no idea this house was $200K over our budget" does get old. And last night's episode, the first of the new season, was just annoying control freak chick and her dads. But the most mind blowing thing was their budget--two 20 somethings who still live at home with their parents and their budget is $775K??? What do these people do? Where do they live? Here you could get an absolutely amazing home for that kind of money--I was amazed at the smallish homes they were looking at and the price tags that go along with them.

My new favorite is definitely Fixer Upper. First of all, because Chip and Jo seem real and fun. Second of all because the budgets are more in line with my life--$120K on the first episode of the new season. Budgets do go up for the different episodes, but still C & J can do more on a $40K reno budget than the Property Brothers, and exceedingly more than Hillary. Joanna's style is a little too shabby chic for me, but I like that she finds bargains, and really the rapport between the two of them and their clients is why I watch the show.

I like chip and Jo too. Did you see the episode where she bought him a new (used I believe) jeep and he almost ran over her? His absolute horror about how he almost hurt his wife seemed real to me. I like them.

Well, I have a new "concept" for these types of shows.  The buyers go look at the set up home...and HATE it.  They go look at the purchase/remo home and love it as is and want nothing done at all:)  

It is amazing to me how little can be done on these huge budgets.  In my area, $50,000 would get you a substantial addition to your home with quality materials.  

I think on Love It or List It they vet the homes to make sure there ARE problems.  And they find homeowners for whom a high end, $40K kitchen is a "must have" despite the fact that the aforementioned problems mean that the bathroom remodel gets booted to fix the foundation, roof, whatever. I'd be like, how about you give me a $20K kitchen instead, then you still have $20K to do the bathroom and whatever else got dropped off the must have list!  But I obviously wouldn't be a good candidate for the show, what with my love for walls and doors and my decidedly not high end sensibilities.  I also am blown away when they go into these massively cluttered homes with people living on top of all the stuff.  After the reno, which usually includes only a few storage solutions, the house, of course, looks all pretty and new, but that's before all of the STUFF gets moved back in. So unless these people have done a massive declutter purge, pretty and new is going to look like a mess again quickly.

Property Brothers is better, and I like Jonathan and Drew.  But the "oh my gosh how could you do this to us we had no idea this house was $200K over our budget" does get old. And last night's episode, the first of the new season, was just annoying control freak chick and her dads.  But the most mind blowing thing was their budget--two 20 somethings who still live at home with their parents and their budget is $775K???  What do these people do?  Where do they live? Here you could get an absolutely amazing home for that kind of money--I was amazed at the smallish homes they were looking at and the price tags that go along with them.

My new favorite is definitely Fixer Upper. First of all, because Chip and Jo seem real and fun.  Second of all because the budgets are more in line with my life--$120K on the first episode of the new season.   Budgets do go up for the different episodes, but still C & J can do more on a $40K reno budget than the Property Brothers, and exceedingly more than Hillary. Joanna's style is a little too shabby chic for me, but I like that she finds bargains, and really the rapport between the two of them and their clients is why I watch the show.

I think the earlier episodes of Love It or List It had much more realistic expectations and budgets.  There have been many with reno budgets between 20,000 and 45,000.  It's the more recent ones that are just crazy!  Watched one the other day with a reno budget of 160,000.  The whole house pretty much needed to be re-done, but of course there was drama and the kitchen project had to be dropped.

Where I live that $160,000 renovation budget would buy a decent 4 BR, 2 BA house.  

What amazes me on hgtv is how quickly they get jobs done. What takes 6 *whole* weeks to get done there would take 2 years in our area. And at that, it still might not get done right.

They have a TON of workers that you are not seeing during filming.  After being on site for filming of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition with Ty Pennington, I lost some interest for these reality shows.  The "stars" of the show appeared for filming and they had a tent to work on their "special" projects but the real work was done by tons of volunteers who worked round the clock.  One day of filming we waited all day hoping to meet Ty, he was at a local sporting event for the day.  He did show up day 2 to film but then he was gone again.  One out of the 4-5 "hosts" of that show was on site quite a bit but I can't recall his name.

Another show that I had loved was Trading Spaces.  Until, a family friend went on it and told us how the families really didn't do much of anything.  It was all hired contractors who again, worked round the clock.  All the families had to do was the stuff for filming.

I still enjoy a good HGTV show now and then.

I know. I like my walls. I'm rather a fan of rooms that can be distinguished from one another. And

I'm a fan of quiet and open concept is just too noisy for me. Every little noise can be heard throughout the main floor.

I wonder if the high end fixtures and furniture are given to the shows by sponsors.  And I wonder if the crystal bowls are loaners just to stage for the show.

I'm pretty cynical about these things ever since Hooked on Houses did a series of blogs about HGTV shows and how they are completely fake- rooms only finished on the side the camera shows, houses on house hunters bought in advance, etc.

They have a TON of workers that you are not seeing during filming.  After being on site for filming of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition with Ty Pennington, I lost some interest for these reality shows.  The "stars" of the show appeared for filming and they had a tent to work on their "special" projects but the real work was done by tons of volunteers who worked round the clock.  One day of filming we waited all day hoping to meet Ty, he was at a local sporting event for the day.  He did show up day 2 to film but then he was gone again.  One out of the 4-5 "hosts" of that show was on site quite a bit but I can't recall his name.

Another show that I had loved was Trading Spaces.  Until, a family friend went on it and told us how the families really didn't do much of anything.  It was all hired contractors who again, worked round the clock.  All the families had to do was the stuff for filming.

I still enjoy a good HGTV show now and then.

I think I live near you- our area had a house on Extreme Makeover a few years ago and the amount of volunteers that showed up to work was staggering.    And now the home is going to be an unwed mothers home. I didn't even know those were around anymore. 

I don't think most of the shows use volunteers like EM did, but I have heard that the shows do bring in tons of trades all at the same time, and that's not practical in most renovations.  My floor guy doesn't want the cabinet guy walking on his floor while the poly is drying, and the cabinet guy wants the paint done before he puts in his cabinets. 

The contracting shows drive me crazy most of the time. They set up unrealistic expectations for real homeowners. Ex was a carpenter and those shows definitely played havoc on what people thought should get done in what time frame. We used to yell at some of those shows and thankfully I don't have HGTV anymore. 

I always like Flip This House - think that was the name- when it was one person or couple with no experience claiming they'd get everything done in six weeks with a set budget. Then they'd go on vacation or take off a week during the reno. Yeah, good luck with that. 

Also, I am so tired of hearing the term "open concept."

Oh, gosh yes. The most common phrase here while I'm cooking? "Shut all the doors between here and there, or else SHUT UP." I like to not hear two different Netflix shows and two different kids talking at the same time, all the time.

I do think the furniture on Property Bros. IS included in the budget. There was one episode where the male homeowner was protesting buying new furniture. When Jonathan asked what was it about his current furniture that he liked, the man said, "It's *paid for*." Plus, J is a Designer, so designing is part (in their eyes) of the reno job. But yeah, I always think that on PB or Love It List It. I think, "You cannot do the laundry room, but you are still buying limes and a crystal bowl to make the kitchen island look awesome?"

This. I've seen episodes where they use/recondition furniture they own to save money.

I have PB "liked" on Facebook and they'll put up little facts about the show sometimes. One I thought was interesting was that they remodel the entire home, but for filming they just focus on a few areas. Apparently the budget shown is just for those areas too. I think there must be a lot of staging and scripting that happens behind the scenes.

I always wonder about the owners of the fixer-uppers. Do they ever see their house being verbally and then sometimes literally ripped to shreds? And what about all the price negotiations? Do they sit there and think "man we could have squeezed them for way more money!"?

What amazes me on hgtv is how quickly they get jobs done. What takes 6 *whole* weeks to get done there would take 2 years in our area. And at that, it still might not get done right.

Ha, yeah, THIS. My husband IS a contractor. The only job we could finish in six weeks would be a coat of paint and a new pair of curtains!

ETA: not to saying dh is a slow-poke (although...ummm...) but what I mean is that things happen, like inspections fail, permits won't go through promptly, the stone company drops the slab on the way in, putting the time frame back by weeks, the wrong appliances show up, the refrigerator cabinet is 1 1/2" too short, the surveying company mis-surveys the entire property so the variance is wrong, which is not discovered until AFTER the foundation is dug...all things that have happened in dh's business.

There are days when working with new to me buyers that I think they are thinking 'she's hiding all the good houses and just showing us junk...'   Because, you know, that's what I do for fun--draw out the buying process so I never get paid. Sigh.

Too many times people believe they can find EVERYTHING on their wishlist for XX amount of dollars. The truth is usually that they can have everything on their list, but it's gonna cost them XXXXX dollars to buy. Those are tough, hard lessons for buyers.

So, while I believe the stuff is scripted on PB, it can happen that the buyers simply do not know what their dollars can buy in their area.

I used to work in television a million years ago. The buyers aren't stupid -- they've been prepped. Someone has said, "here's how we do it: first we're going to show you a gorgeous home, totally above your budget, just play along, then we're going to show you. . ." etc. etc.

These shows are so fun to watch, but so rigged.

Notice prices aren't correct either because the show is getting huge discounts on counter install or hard costs at reduced prices or whatever. That's what really bugs me because younger people will be fooled. Because of that I often am really dismayed at the Property Brothers.

Yes, they're adorable and funny and awesome -- but they're also part of leading viewers down the garden path.

Alley

I'm trying to figure out a way to put up a wall between the kitchen & family room so I can hear the tv.

I used to watch a lot of HGTV but now just once in a while. My new favorite show is Rehab Addict.

I'm trying to figure out a way to put up a wall between the kitchen & family room so I can hear the tv.

I used to watch a lot of HGTV but now just once in a while. My new favorite show is Rehab Addict.

I usually like Rehab Addict, because I have a soft spot in my heart for old homes.

Uh yeah that's the hardest thing to believe about that show.  Some people don't want to renovate a house because it takes so long and they are always like...oh it only takes 6 weeks.  On what universe?!  We renovated a house.  We were able to accomplish quite a bit in 6 weeks, but this was working morning, noon, and night.  And there were still things we did not get to until literally years later. 

Love It or List It looks for homeowners who already planning to do renovations and just wraps the concepts of the show around those.  The producers film the homeowners saying both they are going to "love it" or "list it" and then pick an ending.  Some of these people have no intention of moving at all.   I would guess that the list of must haves is padded for drama, but I have no proof.

Uh yeah that's the hardest thing to believe about that show.  Some people don't want to renovate a house because it takes so long and they are always like...oh it only takes 6 weeks.  On what universe?!  We renovated a house.  We were able to accomplish quite a bit in 6 weeks, but this was working morning, noon, and night.  And there were still things we did not get to until literally years later. 

I'm pretty sure they actually take longer, in a way--the work doesn't take longer, but the permits and inspections are set up ahead of time, I think, so no waiting around for contractors/inspectors, etc.  Can't remember where I read that.

Lately I have been wondering if the budget includes the new furniture or if that is strictly staging for the episode and then the people move in their own furniture? Or is the furniture a perk given to the couple by the show?

If it was me, I would not want to buy all new furniture (seems like most/all is new by the end) especially if it meant crossing off something from my wish list.

I was curious about that too. I read somewhere that the people who are "guests" for lack of a better word, do have to,pay for the actual remodeling, but they are given a bonus of decorations/furniture for their payment to be on the show.