Menu

Should I do jury duty?

Elisabet1

I got a jury duty notice...which I always thought it would be neat! I have never done jury duty before!

But, I am called for February. I am due in March. I qualify for en exemption. It says if you are full-time caretaker of a child under 12 yrs old. I am. (you can also check that you are not morally sound, LOL...but nah!)

As it stands, I potty every hour, and sneeze and cough. And my toosh hurts still. 

Should I just check exempt and send the form back in?

I'll be the lone dissenter. At our courthouse, they're fine letting jurors take breaks as needed to use the restroom or stretch. When I was pregnant and had little kids at home, I was called for jury duty and went. It was a vacation for me. I got to sit and do nothing but read my book most of the morning, they brought us a delicious lunch, and then when the trial started, it was interesting and took less than two days.  I went home refreshed. Yeah, I was sore, but I was sore at home, too. 

I had someone willing to watch my kids for me, so that helped. But yeah, it was easier than a day at home. 

But yeah, you definitely have a valid excuse if you don't want to do it. 

I'd probably show up, because I'd like the experience. I am on the teacher's list with our county, because my Co-op boss wrote a letter a few years ago when they wanted me to serve in the middle of a semester. They will only send notices for me during Summer Break. The only week I ever had to actually report to the courthouse, about 75% of the other potential jurors I talked with were teachers. 

They will probably notice your condition, appreciate your willingness to serve, and excuse you. 

Years ago, my dh was called to serve. The judge asked if anyone had a good reason he couldn't serve all the week. Dh raised his hand and told the judge that he could serve all but one day, because we were scheduled to sign the papers to close on our house that week. The judge excused dh on the spot. As dh got up to leave, the guy next to him raised his hand, and tried to tell the judge he was dh's real estate agent and had to be there. Everyone laughed, including the judge, but he wasn't excused. 

I was about 6 months pregnant with my oldest when I served for jury duty. I think it would've been a lot harder at the end.  It was all day long listening to the trial and then all day for the deliberations. If you're not sleeping well you're going to have a very hard time listening to hours of fascinating things like when the breathalizer machine was last checked, what the manufacturer's recommendations are about checking it, what the documentation says about when the breathlaizer was checked, blah blah blah.  We had a juror fall asleep during testimony and nobody noticed until she started snoring.

I'm due in the beginning of Feb and I wish I could sit in jury duty for the day!! I'd even enjoy the 2 day trial. I absolutely love being able to sit and read for hours waiting for my name to be called. I actually had jury duty early in pregnancy.

But I have a huge support system in the area so having a relative watch the kids and feed them dinner that day was a huge plus. If I didn't have that I would not want to do it in the third trimester and would ask for the exemption. I'm also not very uncomfortable in my pregnancy anymore since I figured out what was causing my back aches. So if sitting for long times was an issue I'd get the exemption.

They will probably notice your condition, appreciate your willingness to serve, and excuse you.

:iagree:

Also, just because you are called doesn't mean you'll actually get selected to serve on a jury anyway. Show up the first day, see how it goes. They'll probably excuse you (or not select you for a jury) once they see how far along you are & it will 'count' that you showed up. That may be more helpful in the long run rather than getting called in a year when you have a 1yo....

If you don't get called that often, it implies they have a large pool. Thus, I wouldn't worry much about trying to avoid it for what is a set of very good reasons. Everyone I know here gets called every two years, though since the population has risen a bit, it seems to be getting a little better. I haven't ended up serving, but I know living here, I'll always have several more chances.

I'll be the lone dissenter. At our courthouse, they're fine letting jurors take breaks as needed to use the restroom or stretch. When I was pregnant and had little kids at home, I was called for jury duty and went. It was a vacation for me. I got to sit and do nothing but read my book most of the morning, they brought us a delicious lunch, and then when the trial started, it was interesting and took less than two days.  I went home refreshed. Yeah, I was sore, but I was sore at home, too. 

I had someone willing to watch my kids for me, so that helped. But yeah, it was easier than a day at home. 

But yeah, you definitely have a valid excuse if you don't want to do it. 

This is hilarious to me. You know you're a homeschooling mom when... two days at jury duty feel like a vacation. :lol:

I have never done jury duty, and I don't have any desire to try it.

I would recommend against it, not for any of the reasons stated above, but because I think the chances are likely you won't be seated on a jury.  The attorneys on each side, and also the judge, might think it's not a good idea to put a VERY pregnant lady on their jury.  If you should go into labor during the trial, or deliberations, it could really mess it up.  They usually don't seat alternates on smaller, shorter cases, so it could create havoc if you went into labor early. As an attorney, and a mom (who remembers pregnancy) I would not want a very pregnant lady on the jury. In addition to the potential labor issue, pregnant moms could be distracted by physical discomfort or other pregnancy issues, which could keep them from being fully attentive to the trial at hand.  

Just my 2 cents,

Mary

Have you read all of her threads?????  She has a bipolar 19 year old daughter who just left their household but that situation is not resolved.  She has a 20 year old  autism spectrum son who has flunked many classes and might be moving home ( still like to hear an update)  She has a 10 or 11 year old boy who dances...    Then I think she has the 5yo autism kid and a toddler....  She has been feeling overly tired in her pregnancy and struggling with depression.

I'm sorry, but she has WAY WAY WAY too much on her plate.   PLEASE Elizabeth, you don't need this.  The idea of doing this with everything else you have going on....   DONT DO IT.

Right? It's silly to even consider such a thing. Jury duty is serious business. Someone's future is in the hands of people who can sit for long hours and pay attention to minute details. I would be appalled if someone so stressed as the OP were contributing to the fate of a legal outcome important to me or someone I love or care about.

DOn't do it- take the exemption.

Also- how is your jury duty?  For me, I have to travel to the major city, and pay $20+ for parking, which would mean Diamond would have no car to get to school.  OR I could pay $10+ for 2 buses each way, taking a total of 5 hours transit time. And I might have to do it for 2 or 3 days or more, dependng on the length of the trial.  So for me, I wou;dn't do it on a good day with all of my kids aged 13+. No way would I attempt it 8mos pg with younger kids.

DOn't do it- take the exemption.

Also- how is your jury duty?  For me, I have to travel to the major city, and pay $20+ for parking, which would mean Diamond would have no car to get to school.  OR I could pay $10+ for 2 buses each way, taking a total of 5 hours transit time. And I might have to do it for 2 or 3 days or more, dependng on the length of the trial.  So for me, I wou;dn't do it on a good day with all of my kids aged 13+. No way would I attempt it 8mos pg with younger kids.

That's a lot of work just to get TO the courthouse!  I'm within walking distance- about a half mile- from our courthouse. (Though right now it's -1 outside so I wouldn't walk today). I have jury duty at the end of the month and they reimburse folks who drive and pay for parking.     Your scenario sounds downright daunting!

I'm not one to encourage people to get out of jury duty if they're able to go (civic duty and all that), but in your case I'd say your excuse is valid. One month out from your due date anything can happen. Also, if you don't check the box and show up, they might send you home as soon as they get a look at you. :)

Um...who would take care of your toddler and is it a 5 year old?  And doesn't one of them have autism....   I remember a thread where they were causing mayhem and broke stuff in the bathroom....

I would say NO.  You have way too much on your plate.

LOL..they broke stuff in the bathroom..once! And they did not actually break..they turned on the water and left the room while with a babysitter. Now, when I have sitters, I lock them out of the bedroom completely. You have to go through the bedroom to get to the bathroom. The only thing that got broken was the child safety lock I later ordered for the handle to the closet. I also very sternly repeat....do NOT ignore them for even a minute! I pay $10 an hour, I would think I could have a good sitter. I tell each sitter about what happened to the bathroom that one time. Oh, and I have only been hiring this one sitter now and she is older. I have another to hire, but I have not needed her as a back up yet. Both are/were home schooled so available during the day. 

But on that note, my husband can take care of them. I will check exempt though. It would drive them nuts when I have to potty at least every hour.

I'm glad you're getting the exemption too, but I'm curious.  I've never been called for jury duty.  Mostly we live in small-medium sized cities or suburbs of larger cities, and we do tend to move every few years.  I think I'd find it fascinating and enjoy it (if I wasn't excused immediately for having too many cops in the family).  Where do the lists of people to serve come from?

I think being in the last trimester is good reason to get an exemption! Especially with two other fairly young children at home.

I will say, though, I've been only called once in 23 years of being a registered voter, and for that month, I called in every single night to see if I was needed to appear the next day-and never was. So supposedly, I'm good for 10 years for making a month of nightly phone calls to a computer and punching in my number. (I was kind of disappointed in a way, just because it would have been a new experience). I only know of two people who have been called and actually had to serve on a jury. I guess almost no cases actually go to trial anymore?

Although I suppose this way you could get it over with and be good for awhile.  I can't get child care so that would be a problem for me.  So if I had the chance to get it over with I'd probably do that.

If she can get an exemption as the caretaker of a child under twelve, she will be able to mark exempt for many years yet.

There are different seasons in life, and this season does not look like a good one for jury duty for the OP; taking a legally available exemption is entirely reasonable and honorable. I have been called for jury duty a number of times since having children and have always taken the exemption available to caregivers of young children. My husband has served as called on, some day I will be in a position to serve jury duty--but not now.

If she can get an exemption as the caretaker of a child under twelve, she will be able to mark exempt for many years yet.

There are different seasons in life, and this season does not look like a good one for jury duty for the OP; taking a legally available exemption is entirely reasonable and honorable. I have been called for jury duty a number of times since having children and have always taken the exemption available to caregivers of young children. My husband has served as called on, some day I will be in a position to serve jury duty--but not now.

I actually got that, but until my kid is 16. 

I'm glad you're getting the exemption too, but I'm curious.  I've never been called for jury duty.  Mostly we live in small-medium sized cities or suburbs of larger cities, and we do tend to move every few years.  I think I'd find it fascinating and enjoy it (if I wasn't excused immediately for having too many cops in the family).  Where do the lists of people to serve come from?

I believe voter registration roles are often used.

I received jury notices several times in the last state I lived in, never yet in my current state.

I believe voter registration roles are often used.

I received jury notices several times in the last state I lived in, never yet in my current state.

I would assume they use a variety of sources.  My husband has been called and he can't vote so he isn't on any voter registration role. 

I get called about 2 times per year.  This past time the lady claimed she will take me off the list until 2019. 

I would assume they use a variety of sources.  My husband has been called and he can't vote so he isn't on any voter registration role. 

I get called about 2 times per year.  This past time the lady claimed she will take me off the list until 2019. 

Wikipedia (  :)  ) says drivers licence/state ID information is also used (may vary by state) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_selection

Bet that's how your husband made the lists.

Wikipedia (   :)  ) says drivers licence/state ID information is also used (may vary by state) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_selection

Bet that's how your husband made the lists.

They even send out surveys to feel around for who is qualified.  They aren't a summons.  Despite that, he still gets called. 

I once got called to grand jury duty.  That's three times a week for three months.  Who in heck can manage that? Not me...

Dh just did his yesterday. He actually was impressed by how it was run. They parked for free and caught a shuttle bus to the courthouse. Greeters were waiting for them to show them the way and show them where the bathrooms are. There were two large rooms with somewhat comfortable chairs, one where electronics and activity were allowed and a big screen tv was showing crime dramas all day, the other was a quiet room for reading, etc. They had coffee, tea and hot chocolate available. Lunch was 1 1/2 hours but not provided. He was brought in to be a possible juror on one trial and was asked if it would be difficult for him to be available for a 2 - 3 week trial. He honestly stated that with a 3-person company his business would be seriously impacted by his absence and they released him. He expected to go back into the pool, but was surprised when they told him he was finished with his obligation. He's good for 3 years now. The only negative part of the experience was not enough shuttle buses at the end of the day, so he walked a few blocks to the parking area and froze his butt off, lol. He hates being cold. If you are comfortable and can easily be away from the house for the day, it might be worth getting it over with. I don't know if I would have during pregnancy. I was so uncomfortable the last two months of my pregnancy and I was being monitored for high bp and having the amniotic fluid levels constantly, so my doctor wouldn't have let me do it.

The first time I got called, I was VERY pregnant with my first child.  I went.  The jury waiting room was in a large basement room with a low ceiling.  I immediately got claustrophobic (not normal for me), and had a bit of a panic attack.  I went to the window to ask the lady if I could sit in the upstairs lobby, or outside, or something.  She looked at my condition, and my emotional state (crying), and compassionately sent me home.  

The second time I went, I had three kids at home, two that I was homeschooling (plus a 2yo).  We don't have a caretaker exemption, so I got it delayed until summer, but then I had to go.  It was one of the best experiences I've ever had.  It was so interesting: the selection, the process, the case itself, working through the verdict.  My case took about 4 days.  

I would do it again if given the opportunity, but probably not if I were pregnant.  I get a bit crazy when I'm pregnant.

It varies. Some places used to use voter registration information, until it was learned that some people were claiming they didn't register to vote simply because they didn't want to be called for jury duty. I think some places use property tax records, or drivers license records.

As far as being excused for something like having too many cops in the family, that could actually happen. I had one jury summons that required me to fill out a multipage questionnaire (about 8 pages, if I remember correctly) with all kinds of information, including where my spouse, siblings, children, parents and grandparents had worked, gone to school, branches of military served, religion, crimes committed or victimized by, illnesses, etc. It went on and on. It had to be submitted by mail several weeks before the court session was to start. That was for some sort of district or circuit court.

For the local jury pool I sat on, as each case's jury was being selected, the judge would ask us questions submitted by the two sides' attorneys. So, for example, in an assault case, he would ask if anyone had ever been assaulted or had a family member who had been assaulted. Those potential jurors who would say yes had to stand, and the judge might ask more questions to see whether we thought that would impact our ability to decided fairly in the case. On only one case that week, I made it past the questioning and my number was called. I had to walk forward and stand before the defendant and the attorneys, to answer more questions. I was later told that as soon as I started walking down that aisle, the defendant leaned over and whispered something to her attorney. When I got up front, that attorney simply said that they were using one of their challenges on me and that I was dismissed. Some people were actually seated on two or more juries that week. 

It varies. Some places used to use voter registration information, until it was learned that some people were claiming they didn't register to vote simply because they didn't want to be called for jury duty. I think some places use property tax records, or drivers license records.

As far as being excused for something like having too many cops in the family, that could actually happen. I had one jury summons that required me to fill out a multipage questionnaire (about 8 pages, if I remember correctly) with all kinds of information, including where my spouse, siblings, children, parents and grandparents had worked, gone to school, branches of military served, religion, crimes committed or victimized by, illnesses, etc. It went on and on. It had to be submitted by mail several weeks before the court session was to start. That was for some sort of district or circuit court.

For the local jury pool I sat on, as each case's jury was being selected, the judge would ask us questions submitted by the two sides' attorneys. So, for example, in an assault case, he would ask if anyone had ever been assaulted or had a family member who had been assaulted. Those potential jurors who would say yes had to stand, and the judge might ask more questions to see whether we thought that would impact our ability to decided fairly in the case. On only one case that week, I made it past the questioning and my number was called. I had to walk forward and stand before the defendant and the attorneys, to answer more questions. I was later told that as soon as I started walking down that aisle, the defendant leaned over and whispered something to her attorney. When I got up front, that attorney simply said that they were using one of their challenges on me and that I was dismissed. Some people were actually seated on two or more juries that week. 

Yes, my mother was called for jury duty once.  It was a drunk driving case and there were a lot of questions about the potential jury's views on police.  My mother doesn't have super positive views on police (she heard too many horror stories when my dad was in management), but they objected to her due to the number of law enforcement workers in the family. 

The first time I got called, I was VERY pregnant with my first child.  I went.  The jury waiting room was in a large basement room with a low ceiling.  I immediately got claustrophobic (not normal for me), and had a bit of a panic attack.  I went to the window to ask the lady if I could sit in the upstairs lobby, or outside, or something.  She looked at my condition, and my emotional state (crying), and compassionately sent me home.  

The second time I went, I had three kids at home, two that I was homeschooling (plus a 2yo).  We don't have a caretaker exemption, so I got it delayed until summer, but then I had to go.  It was one of the best experiences I've ever had.  It was so interesting: the selection, the process, the case itself, working through the verdict.  My case took about 4 days.  

I would do it again if given the opportunity, but probably not if I were pregnant.  I get a bit crazy when I'm pregnant.

I sooo wanted to be 'picked' for the jury last Jury Duty I was called in for!

While, in the waiting room, I spoke to others who were also wondering if they will be picked, or not. I casually mentioned that I would most likely be sent home if it was a pedophile case, as I'm a mom of 4 kids etc...

And it ended up being one, and I was sent home! Grrrrr........ :sneaky2:

I have been called about 5 times in the last 10 years and asked for exemption each time. The first 2 were an uncooperative boss but the rest were child related. I don't have anyone else to care for them and I can't very well say 'sorry have to leave now as the daycare closes in 15 mins'. We do get a childcare allowance but it has so many limitations you couldn't actually use it. There is a daily allowance as well. Retired people like it as it is a change of scenery and some extra money.

But at 8 months you could go into labor any time and possibly stuff up the trial. And you have too much other stuff on your plate to cope with a nasty or prolonged case.