Menu

Food that really needs to be eaten fresh

Jean in Newcastle

Almost any salad that has been dressed.

Agreed. The only dressed leafy salad I've seen stand up to overnight was either cabbage or raw kale.

Jean, I've also eaten day-old sushi...once.

Adding homemade soup with pasta. I would actually set aside the leftover extra soup ahead of time without the pasta and add pasta to the current soup. Then I would make fresh pasta to add when it was leftover time. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but the noodles would become mushy and bloated otherwise.

I'm pretty sure when I was in college I learned that anything can work for breakfast - but I don't like sushi at all, so perhaps that's a valid exception.

Otherwise, I can't think of much I wouldn't eat the next day.  Fried eggs (over easy) would be on the fence.  Scrambled would be ok.

Perhaps potato chips left on a humid day?  That would qualify as gross!

I saw the title and immediately thought of sushi. But I see it tops your list, too!

I don't care for fish reheated. I do love fish, but I want to eat it freshly cooked (grilled preferred). Boiled seafood is best hot, IMO, though I'll eat it chilled and still enjoy it.

So, hmm, I am having trouble thinking if anything other than sushi that I really dislike as leftovers.

Oh, grits. Grits aren't the best leftover. I'd put risotto in that category, too.

Cereal in milk. 😜

I gotta vote for this one as the winner.  There's no way I'd eat this the next day.  That's what we have chickens for, and if we didn't have chickens, we do have a compost pile.  If youngest objected to the milk being on the compost pile, there's always the hedgerow.  Wild critters (even ants) have to eat too!

I can tell you're not from the south - cold fried chicken is yummy!

Absolutely! Sometimes I fry it just to put away for a picnic lunch the next day. I will admit that it is pretty gross warmed over, though.

And I can add gluten-free pasta...it doesn't make good leftovers!

Oh, grits. Grits aren't the best leftover. I'd put risotto in that category, too.

Oh, if you take leftover grits and slice them and fry them in butter or bacon grease, they are AWESOME.   But you have to start with good grits- creamy, properly seasoned, and NOT instant. 

Oh, if you take leftover grits and slice them and fry them in butter or bacon grease, they are AWESOME. But you have to start with good grits- creamy, properly seasoned, and NOT instant.

Instant grits! Perish the thought!

Maybe I will try this some time, but I don't usually make enough for leftovers. Other than just enough for breakfast, once in a blue moon I make grits to serve with grillades, and there are leftovers. It might be time for a batch of that.