Menu

S/o food that isn't what it pretends to be.

Ausmumof3

In the junk food thread, someone mentioned how hard it is to find healthy food.

Right now, I find it quite hard to read all the labels and buy healthy food that is still in the budget.

The latest thing I've noticed is hams etc. that are like 30pc soy protein. I really wish food was just what it says.

I've also noticed that some of those $3 a tiny jar seasoning mixes are about 80pc sugar. Who is paying $3 for around 50g of sugar and salt when they are $3 a kg normally.

What have you noticed?

I turn EVERYTHING over to read the ingredients list. My DH does not, and he's often surprised when I complain that he has brought home food full of soy, corn syrup, MSG, and other crap. "What! It says they're meatballs! See, on the label 'meatballs.' They're just meatballs!" Umm, no honey, they're not just meat rolled into a ball. "What? Why did they put sugar in my meatballs!!!"

Hidden soy in meat products is one I always watch for. I think soy is poison. At least, it does bad things to me, so I try to stay soy-free.

I've seen soy in bread. And nearly every "fruit n nut" or "breakfast" bar. And chips, especially if they're "multi-grain."

And sugar and the like is in everything. DH is teetering on diabetes, so we try to be sugar free, but it's hard. It's in meat, salsa, mayo, PB, bread, and lots of other non-sweet things.

MSG and trans-fats (including the hidden ones) are also no-goes. Those are in lots and lots of things too.

As a result we've cut way back on "convenience" food. I'm not even sure what is in "helper" or the Knorr sides packages now. I used to use them, but now I hardly even glance at them at the store. I mostly only buy the scratch ingredients now, and we snack on salted nuts or plain yogurt or fruit. It's inconvenient, yes, to mix up my own taco seasoning rather than tear open a package. And oh so very maddening that I have to do that just to not eat crap.

"Uncured" bacon and "Uncured" lunch meats that really are "cured."

The producers just (legally) lie by putting No Added Nitrates*

*except those from celery juice and lactic acid.

Like adding celery juice and lactic acid together don't produce the exactly same nitrates that come from a jar.

The deceit makes me angry.

Bll

Like adding celery juice and lactic acid together don't produce the exactly same nitrates that come from a jar.

Bll

I once read an article where lab tests were done and the "uncured" turned out to have more nitrates than "cured." It makes me crazy too.

I once had a good-price source for sliced pork belly. I liked that over bacon in the morning. It was also sugar-free.  :laugh:  But alas, we moved away.

Bll

Yep. And the premium on those "uncured" meats? I just shake my head.

I usually read ingredient lists, but sometimes fall for labels. Like I bought a jar of this stuff called "Simply Mayo." It's covered with promises of all the stuff that's not in it, all of which are things that don't need to be in mayo, so I figured great!

After we opened it, DH read the ingredient list. It does contain sugar (which doesn't need to be in mayo). It does NOT contain eggs. Which are a necessary ingredient. What the Heck?

There is no substitute for reading ingredient lists!

I've noticed that I've just about given myself ulcers trying to feed my family food that isn't chemically laden or GMO or some sort of frankenfood.

I want to eat organic, local, non GMO food, but it isn't feasible without taking out a second mortgage. Then I also have to deal with this food culture in our area and within our family that adores the junk, the more processed the better. And it is a must have at every single gathering. Not to mention the ostracizing because you choose to cook and eat healthy...which automatically implies that you don't think THIER food/hospitality is good enough for you and yours, and therefore you must think you are better then them.

yeah, I have issues..lol.

Adding in a nut allergy, gluten and dairy intolerances and a dh with pre diabetes....I hate food.

I usually read ingredient lists, but sometimes fall for labels. Like I bought a jar of this stuff called "Simply Mayo." It's covered with promises of all the stuff that's not in it, all of which are things that don't need to be in mayo, so I figured great!

After we opened it, DH read the ingredient list. It does contain sugar (which doesn't need to be in mayo). It does NOT contain eggs. Which are a necessary ingredient. What the Heck?

Well, in this house where eggs give half of our people GI upset, things like Simply Mayo are a good fit. I like that the eggs aren't necessary. There really is no substitute for reading labels, though.

Actually, I think Simply Mayo is being taken to court by someone from Hellman's/Best Foods for using the term "mayo" when their product simply isn't because of the lack of eggs.

Simply Mayo is arguing that they are using the term "mayo" instead of "mayonnaise" and say that makes a difference.

Simply Mayo is a vegan alternative to mayonnaise.  I find most vegan alternative products to be packed with bizarre ingredients. 

Well, in this house where eggs give half of our people GI upset, things like Simply Mayo are a good fit. I like that the eggs aren't necessary. There really is no substitute for reading labels, though.

But mayo IS an emulsification of egg and oil with a touch of acidic. Egg is essential to it being a mayo, it's ousia, so to speak.

It's nice to have an alternative if you need one, but then it's alternative, not simply mayo. JUST mayo needs egg in it. Because that's what mayo is,

But mayo IS an emulsification of egg and oil with a touch of acidic. Egg is essential to it being a mayo, it's ousia, so to speak.

It's nice to have an alternative if you need one, but then it's alternative, not simply mayo. JUST mayo needs egg in it. Because that's what mayo is,

Sorry, that sounds snarkier than it needs to. I'm just venting about the lack of food knowledge.

On the flip side of the title of this thread is the butter or ice cream that has the Contains milk warning on it. Same with mayo, it shouldn't need a Contains egg warning,  But no one knows what food is, or supposed to be, anymore. 

Where did Little Miss Muffet get her curds and whey? Isn't it crazy that until recently I had no idea?

I agree. While it may be singing with Goliath in the battle over food labeling, in this case Goliath is right.

Food labels should matter, and mayonaise is egg and oil based.

Bill

You might have accidentally picked up a vegan mayo which would by definition not contain eggs.

I'm not familiar with Simply Mayo but Just Mayo is a vegan product (recently embroiled in a lawsuit because some mayo company is suing them for using the word mayo for their product.... I don't know why because Earth Balance & Spectrum have been making vegan products called 'mayo' for years. My favourite is still Vegannaise though....)

Sorry, that sounds snarkier than it needs to. I'm just venting about the lack of food knowledge

You can get off your soapbox. I am aware that eggs are traditionally used in mayo, having made it a time or two on my own. Still, that doesn't mean that we can't call similar analogues by the same name nor does it reduce their utility for vegans and those with egg allergies. And it doesn't change the need to read labels on anything other than whole foods.

It seems stupid to see "contains: milk" on butter, but those same lables are immensely useful for folks with allergies and vegans.

I saw that on eth shelves and was like Yay! I don't have to make mayo! And then I turned over the jar and read the label...

I am sorry, that should be pulled off the shelves, that is NO WHERE NEAR MAYO. They should call it vegan sandwich spread. 

I saw that on eth shelves and was like Yay! I don't have to make mayo! And then I turned over the jar and read the label...

I am sorry, that should be pulled off the shelves, that is NO WHERE NEAR MAYO. They should call it vegan sandwich spread.

There are lots of products like this. Better than Cream Cheese. Better than Sour Cream. Meatless chicken breasts. I guess I don't see what the big deal is about reading the ingredients because I always do, looking for dairy or eggs. Or meat ... Like in candy now, the gummy candy here lists whether it has gelatin and whether it's pork or beef (or horse) because that matters to people. There are still lots of people who don't realize many candies aren't even vegetarian, never mind vegan because they never read the ingredients....

I do think we want some truth in labelling so as not to scam a consumer (esp with bogus health claims) but if the ingredients are on there, and the nutritional info (do you guys have that in the US?), I'm ok with what I think of as generic terms like gravy or mayo being used for vegan products...

Bll

Yes! I know so many people that shell out so much extra money and the end result is the same, just more expensive.

You can get off your soapbox. I am aware that eggs are traditionally used in mayo, having made it a time or two on my own. Still, that doesn't mean that we can't call similar analogues by the same name nor does it reduce their utility for vegans and those with egg allergies. And it doesn't change the need to read labels on anything other than whole foods.

It seems stupid to see "contains: milk" on butter, but those same lables are immensely useful for folks with allergies and vegans.

Yeah...I think I have to agree that it's dumb to call something mayo that is not mayo. Why not call it something else like "not quite mayo?" I don't understand why you would call it mayo when that's not what it is. Miracle Whip isn't called mayo because it doesn't fit the food rules as a mayo. I don't think people should have to have a close reading of an ingredient list to figure out if they are really buying mayo or something else. This is why we have food rules.

ETA: My sister is allergic to dairy. I get why food labels are important. But, Earth Balance doesn't say "butter" anywhere on the label. They have Earth Balance Spreads, Earth Balance Baking Sticks, Earth Balance "dressing" (mayo replacement). People manage to figure out what they are replacements for.

This happens to me all the time when I'm grocery shopping in another language, although I'm getting better. I grabbed a bag of milk once without reading the packaging and realized I ended up with something that was 73% milk when I got home. I don't want to know what the other 27% was. :)

We only drink 100% juice. It is absolutely all we by. My kids are trained to look closely at labels. Occasionally, they'll pick up something that is "juice" only to spit it out. Then they realize it's only 5% just and the rest is crap.

It REALLY frustrates me. My older Mom and dh's Grandpa assume that if it looks like juice, says it juice, on the juice isle that it's juice. they drink all this *stuff* believing it's healthy. I hate that companies can be so deceiving

You might have accidentally picked up a vegan mayo which would by definition not contain eggs.

I'm not familiar with Simply Mayo but Just Mayo is a vegan product (recently embroiled in a lawsuit because some mayo company is suing them for using the word mayo for their product.... I don't know why because Earth Balance & Spectrum have been making vegan products called 'mayo' for years. My favourite is still Vegannaise though....)

Whoops!  It is JUST MAYO being sued, not Simply Mayo.  

But mayo IS an emulsification of egg and oil with a touch of acidic. Egg is essential to it being a mayo, it's ousia[/], so to speak.

Thank you! Sarah. I learned a new word today.

Eta. Formatting not working. The word is ousia.

I dislike the wording "all natural" because it doesn't mean anything in particular.  They can slap that onto anything they want. 

I would not be surprised by seasoning mixes containing a lot of sugar.  If you make these things at home, you do often add sugar.  It might be far less if you make it yourself, but yes sugar is good for adding flavor and promoting browning. 

I'm not impressed with labels that state chickens were fed an all vegetarian diet (on eggs too..like 4 grain eggs).  Chickens aren't by nature strict vegetarians.  So there isn't anything natural about only feeding them grains. 

And why call soybean oil "vegetable oil" as if this is something super healthful.  Ohhh oil from vegetables...that's like eating vegetables right?!  Why not call it what it is? 

I dislike the wording "all natural" because it doesn't mean anything in particular. They can slap that onto anything they want.

I would not be surprised by seasoning mixes containing a lot of sugar. If you make these things at home, you do often add sugar. It might be far less if you make it yourself, but yes sugar is good for adding flavor and promoting browning.

I'm not impressed with labels that state chickens were fed an all vegetarian diet (on eggs too..like 4 grain eggs). Chickens aren't by nature strict vegetarians. So there isn't anything natural about only feeding them grains.

And why call soybean oil "vegetable oil" as if this is something super healthful. Ohhh oil from vegetables...that's like eating vegetables right?! Why not call it what it is?

Vegetarian chicken feed came about because the chick poo is resold as cattle feed and the risk of mad cow if some feed is mixed into the poo.

We do not buy commercial chicken because we do not eat Cornish X.

I love food.  We don't have any allergies, though; I see how that might kill the love. 

The other day I realized that the first ingredient in the cheap chili powder I was about to buy was salt.  What is that!!  I had to buy the dry ground chipotle instead, and it was wonderful, but I'm still a little ticked.

Okay, here's what I don't get. I read the ingredient list and there is, say, no wheat based ingredient - then below the ingredient list it says "may contain wheat". I understand cross contamination in factories that make multiple products, in this case, they should say "may have come in contact with wheat" not "may contain wheat". To me those are two different things. How may it contain wheat if wheat isn't a listed ingredient!?

dh also doesn't read ingredient labels.

we buy little 'processed' food.  I know it's going to be full of 'extras'.  the question is whether I will tolerate it or not.  generally, we make our own from scratch.  cheaper and without the fillers.

as for the flavored seasonings for popcorn etc containing vast amounts of sugar . . . they do that as filler to get the 'actual' seasoning more dispersed.

but the 'additives' in sour cream/whipping cream etc, I'm absolutely disgusted by the amount of 'extras' they contain.

oh - and the "low fat" stuff - the amount of SUGAR!!!!!! in them.  or the "sugar free" . . . but they contain fructose. . .  fructose is sugar.

Sorry, that sounds snarkier than it needs to. I'm just venting about the lack of food knowledge.

On the flip side of the title of this thread is the butter or ice cream that has the Contains milk warning on it. Same with mayo, it shouldn't need a Contains egg warning, But no one knows what food is, or supposed to be, anymore.

Where did Little Miss Muffet get her curds and whey? Isn't it crazy that until recently I had no idea?

Well, to be fair, in the process of investigation for FLCPA, they found that 25% of randomly sampled foods (from grocery store shelves) contained undisclosed "big 8" allergens.

My beef is with the "gluten-free" label that, due to no testing or record keeping requirements to substantiate the claim, is completely meaningless. But, you know, we wouldn't want anyone to be cut out of a premium market because of the undue burden of earning that label, would we?

Bll

when my son was younger - he didn't tolerate foods processed with nitrates/nitrites.  he reacted to them.  we knew if he'd been eating them!  (that was how I realized we needed to keep him away from them!)

he didn't react the same way to those labeled as "uncured".  

I've become a lot snobbier about chemical/molecular forms of the supposedly "same thing". e.g. vitamins.  tons of stuff are listed as containing vitamins, and have been for years.  some forms are very bioavailable, and many aren't.  (e.g. vitamin water is a total joke - though the labels can be funny).  we have a mutation in our family that doesn't tolerate folic acid.  do you know how many things folic acid is added to?  it's a cheap form of folate - but it's 100% synthetic.  the body can't use it until it's been converted to another form of folate.   except we can't convert it to the useable form of folate and it's mere presence reduces our bodies ability to use any actual folate we get.

certainly explains why when I did a diet years ago that as a byproduct avoided folic acid 'enriched' foods I felt so good.

I need to vent about something sort of related.  I know/believe people mean well, but why do they bother with gluten free, dairy free, and nut free items for a group snacky food type party?  I had to sign up to bring something for the party following the xmas choir show.  These are going to just be snack foods.  I wanted to make cookies.  We were told this will be mostly a baked good sort of thing.  But every category in the cookie section involved dietary restrictions.  So they wanted someone to make nut free.  Someone to make dairy free.  Someone to make gluten free.  There was no category for just cookies of whatever freaking kind you want to make.  Now again I think the intention is in the right place, but if I'm truly allergic to these things I'm not going to eat cookies that some stranger made in their home.  Most can probably not guarantee that they verified every ingredient they bought to be free from the allergens and that their home equipment didn't come into contact with an allergen.  I can't guarantee that and I'm not even going to dare to try.  If my kid had an allergy I would not let him eat those homemade cookies.  So now everyone only gets funky cookies in the funky categories because someone came up with this idea to appear to accommodate. 

This makes me so flipping mad.  Do they just not know how this really works?  It can't possibly be a person who has a kid with an allergy that come up with this idea. 

I have this book, Inside the Victorian Home, and it describes home life in Victorian England in the 1800s.  It talks about how grocers would add sand to sugar and other tricks they'd do to sell their products and turn a deceptive profit.  

It's the same today.  Nothing ever seems to change.  I hate food, too (as a PP said.)

My mother worked briefly in a bakery.  She said there were bags of flour labeled "unfit for human consumption" in the back room.  That sounds insane to me, but I can't imagine why my mother would make that up so I'm going with it as being true. 

What really annoys me are labels that are absurdly vague, such as "spices" or "flavoring".  I'm surprised at how common that is.

I was just informed (by a professional) that yeast extract is really some sort of natural form of MSG.  I'm not sure whether she meant in flavor or in terms of actual chemical properties, but, awesome.  Ds is starting an elimination diet and yeast is one of the many things being temporarily eliminated.  In certain food categories, it's everywhere.  I'm ticked because the dairy-free "cheese" has yeast extract in it - off to the natural grocery store in a few minutes to look for a different one, if it's even out there.  Pizza is a serious issue here.  Don't get me started on the crust issue, but I may have finally found one.

Okay, here's what I don't get. I read the ingredient list and there is, say, no wheat based ingredient - then below the ingredient list it says "may contain wheat". I understand cross contamination in factories that make multiple products, in this case, they should say "may have come in contact with wheat" not "may contain wheat". To me those are two different things. How may it contain wheat if wheat isn't a listed ingredient!?

Because companies don't necessarily have their own factories. Or even if they do, all the branded products they make share production lines. So this means that the facility may be contaminated (for lack of a better word) with the ingredient, even if the ingredient isn't supposed to be in the product.

The machines are not cleaned all that well in between batches or products.  If your products is the next one up, the mixing, cooking, baking, squirty, pressy, packing machines might still have the leftover stuff from the previous products.... so it might be a lot more than just may come in contact with. It might actually contain.

Strict vegans sometimes debate whether 'may contain milk & eggs' is ok to eat or not. Fwiw, for me, I'm ok with may contain.

Also, one thing that became apparent after the pet food recall was that

edited after I re-read your Q....  :) sorry, need more coffeee....

The machines are not cleaned all that well in between batches or products.  If your products is the next one up, the mixing, cooking, baking, squirty, pressy, packing machines might still have the leftover stuff from the previous products.... so it might be a lot more than just may come in contact with. It might actually contain.

That is actually not true. (At least here). There is specified approved cleaners that are used and a whole SOP that has to be followed for cleaning between each run. 

Air is a total cross contaminant, though (particles in the air) although there normally are air filtration systems in place from room to room.  

"Spices", "flavoring", etc can (and often do) all contain wheat. That is the shrug-off way of saying "we don't keep track of our proprietary ingredients".

I need to vent about something sort of related. I know/believe people mean well, but why do they bother with gluten free, dairy free, and nut free items for a group snacky food type party? I had to sign up to bring something for the party following the xmas choir show. These are going to just be snack foods. I wanted to make cookies. We were told this will be mostly a baked good sort of thing. But every category in the cookie section involved dietary restrictions. So they wanted someone to make nut free. Someone to make dairy free. Someone to make gluten free. There was no category for just cookies of whatever freaking kind you want to make. Now again I think the intention is in the right place, but if I'm truly allergic to these things I'm not going to eat cookies that some stranger made in their home. Most can probably not guarantee that they verified every ingredient they bought to be free from the allergens and that their home equipment didn't come into contact with an allergen. I can't guarantee that and I'm not even going to dare to try. If my kid had an allergy I would not let him eat those homemade cookies. So now everyone only gets funky cookies in the funky categories because someone came up with this idea to appear to accommodate.

This makes me so flipping mad. Do they just not know how this really works? It can't possibly be a person who has a kid with an allergy that come up with this idea.

I don't eat things made in other people's homes. Even if they mean well, there is probably gluten (or any other allergen/dietary contaminant) all over their kitchen and thus in the cookies.

That is actually not true. (At least here). There is specified approved cleaners that are used and a whole SOP that has to be followed for cleaning between each run.

Air is a total cross contaminant, though.

In the 10-year investigation into how to set standards for gluten, the fact of equipment being of uncertain cleaning ability came up numerous times from manufacturers. Things like "equipment made before allergen cleaning was a thing". (Also in FLCPA)

Also, there is co-mingling of raw materials in bulk transport and storage (e.g farm trucks, grain silos, etc) so it's not just the actual end product production line.