Menu

what "reality" shows do you watch??

ProudGrandma

My  whole family is hooked on Pawn Stars.  Not the best viewing for my 6yo dd with all the bleeping out and somewhat rude behavior.  However, it is hilarious when she plays Pawn Stars with her older brothers.  She tries to sell them random items and they negotiate a price. After calling in an expert of course.  Funny thing about the show is that it is one show that all 6 of us will watch. 

My husband likes Kitchen Nightmares but I find that irritating.  He was watching a show called Mystery Diners last night that seemed just too fake for me. 

It isn't on right now but we watch Deadliest Catch.

Project Runway.

I have at times also enjoyed Top Chef, The Amazing Race, The Voice, and a bunch of others. I sort of like all the various HGTV ones. I used to be completely into Trading Spaces ages ago.

When I happen to have cable for a few days for some reason, I like to flip by the really horrible ones like Here Comes Honey Boo Boo. I did that once at my grandmother's and she was just appalled. Like so appalled. It was awesome.

I used to watch a lot of HGTV--Design Star, 

it was not the same after clive left - and then the year the producers chose the winner . . . it was rigged.  you could tell they wanted that one guy to win.  they wanted a guy who would do a man-cave show.  (and he was obnoxious.)

Hoarders, when I was preparing to move.  It really helped me purge!  But other than that, no reality shows for me because we do everything online.  It is easy to just turn on a tv and watch, but I'm not willing to go through the trouble of getting a reality tv show otherwise.

Hoarders, when I was preparing to move. It really helped me purge! But other than that, no reality shows for me because we do everything online. It is easy to just turn on a tv and watch, but I'm not willing to go through the trouble of getting a reality tv show otherwise.

Oh yeah, I found that to be true too. Whenever I think- I can't let it go.... I watch those hoarding shows and it motivates me big time!

When it was on we watched the Last Comic Standing as I love comedy.

We still watch House Hunters, House Hunters International, Caribbean Life, Hawaii Life, and Island Hunters - when they are at a coastal location or interesting country for the first two - all for the latter three.  Those are staged, so I almost don't consider them reality TV, but we like them anyway.

That's it for us.

We no longer have cable, so I don't get the House Hunters type shows, although I know a few episodes are online.  I don't care about them enough to seek them out, but the House Hunting shows I have watched some in the past.

I have seen episodes of Hoarders, and some of the cooking shows, but I don't watch on a regular basis.

I do watch Last Comic Standing and have seen all of those episodes.

Biggest Loser used to be interesting in the first few seasons, but I am no longer interested.

I can't think of any others, unless 48 hours and Cold Case Files counts.  Crime shows, real and fiction, interest me.

Dawn

Project Runway

Top Chef (and all the spin-offs)

So You Think You Can Dance

Masterchef

We also watch a lot of HGTV, but I'm not sure I consider those shows reality TV.  I watch Project Runway and Top Chef on my own, but we watch SYTYCD and MC with the kids- they really enjoy them both. 

Pawn Stars and American Pickers show up occasionally when there's nothing else on and we're in the mood to veg.

I used to watch Survivor and Amazing Race religiously.  But one year (season 10, maybe) there was a guy on Survivor who really was a bad egg- every time he was on the screen I found he was making me so mad and I decided that no TV show should affect me that way and I stopped watching cold turkey.   I don't recall why we stopped watching Amazing Race.

I think of Project Runway when ds watches Sofia the First because Tim Gunn is one of the voice actors lol.

Never heard of Couples Therapy. Where do you watch that? I mean is it on Netflix or anything?

Yeah, VH1.  It's in it's 4th or so season.  Last year Farrah from Teen Mom was on there. 

it was not the same after clive left - and then the year the producers chose the winner . . . it was rigged.  you could tell they wanted that one guy to win.  they wanted a guy who would do a man-cave show.  (and he was obnoxious.)

That's too bad. We dropped cable for a few years so I stopped watching before Clive left. But I've had the same reaction to Food Network Star--rigged. Not every season, but a couple of them, they made it seem like they wanted a certain host. I think that's part of why they flip-flop between the bosses choosing the winner and saying the audience will choose the winner.

I still watch (when I can--we recently got cable again) because I just like the cooking competitions more than the design competitions. I keep hoping it will inspire me. But so far my own cooking remains woefully uninspired. :laugh:

My husband loves just about everything on the Discovery, History, and Velocity channels.I think A&E, too. Especially the car shows. And the gun shows. And the ones in Alaska. :D Some of them I like, some of them I have to be in the mood for, and some of them I can't stand. To be honest, I'm generally reading while he watches and if it is something that piques my interest, I'll tune in. I like Airplane Repo right now.

I really want to like Utopia but of course they have to cast the most outrageous folks.  I would even like my kids to watch it, for the concept, but again, I don't feel it is appropriate for their age  :(

Amazing Race is one I stick with.  Wish I had the nerve to do the adventures.  Love the travel.

Survivor, depends on the season.  

I may watch some others in passing but they don't tend to hold my interest for too long as I just can't see living like that.

I wish I could get more seasons of "next best baker" on Netflix or Hulu or amazon...I have seen 1 maybe 2 seasons and that is it.

I forgot, I also watch Survivor (with my husband) and have been watching some of the past seasons of Amazing race...but that one sort of bores me sometimes.

Where do I find Next Great British Baker?  I haven't heard of that one.

American shows that I like:

Gold Rush--mainly for the industrious kid

Pawn Stars

Project Runway--but I've missed the last two seasons

Korean shows I like:

Roommate--my new favorite, like big brother only no one gets kicked out and everyone tries to build each other up and be better people.  I love it when the older cast members take care of the younger cast members and feed them good food and help them with life skill stuff.

Running Man--it's like killer hide and go seek meets tag meets treasure hunt.  And they always have fun guest stars.

Dad, Where are we going?--cute one about celebrity dads and their kids going on trips together.  But the twist is they usually have to camp or live rough and do various tasks to be able to eat.  The kids are adorable.

Return of Superman--I've only seen the first episode but I am going to make time for it.  It's about celebrity dads who stay home and take care of the kids for a couple of days while mom gets time away from the family.  Again, really cute especially since most of the kids are preschool/toddler ages.  

I'd list more Korean ones but it's addictive and I really don't want to be considered an enabler.  Especially since they have some really good and positive shows and you can often find them subtitled on youtube.  Lol.

More than I want to admit to:

Big Brother US

Big Brother UK

Big Brother Australia

(we love watching the differences between the countries)

Survivor

The Little Couple

19 Kids and Counting

Top Gear (but only because dh is watching it)

Deadliest Catch (started watching it with dh but now I like it for myself as well)

Pit Bulls and Parolees

American Pickers

Amazing Race 

There might be more but I coming up blank right now.

ETA: I'm thankful these don't come on all at the same time of year, that would be way too much reality for me.  :lol:

It's funny, but I rarely ever read fiction, unless assigned for a book discussion group, etc. I prefer educational, self-help and biographies.

I just realized my TV viewing habits mirror my reading habits. I will very rarely watch part of a drama if dh is watching and I'm in the room, but personally I choose documentaries, real-life dramas and personal growth shows. I primarily watch TLC and HGTV, sometimes OWN.

Hoarders

Cake Boss

Sister Wives

Honey Boo Boo (yeah, I know)

Pawn Stars

American Pickers (and Canadian Pickers)

Holmes Inspection, etc.

Income Property

Leave it to Bryan

Extreme Makeover: both the Home Edition re-runs and the Weight Loss Edition

Oprah's Master Class

Our America with Lisa Ling

Super Size vs. Super Skinny (UK)

random documentaries

I absolutely cannot stand any sort of competition shows, so I don't watch any of those.

I only watch maybe 4 shows per week, so I'm selective :)

So You Think You Can Dance :wub:   - sorry, just love that show

Dancing with the Stars

American Idol - which I actually like better lately.  I don't like shows that rip apart contestants - so hated Simon.  Didn't start watching till he left, actually.  Also don't like "everyone's fabulous" judges.   I do like Harry Connick Jr. :)

America's Got Talent (which I can only stomach since I TiVo it and can fast forward past all the judges mugging at the camera... :rolleyes: )

are the Korean shows on Netflix, Hulu  or amazon?

Roommate is on Hulu.  You can also find We Got Married on there I think.

Running Man is on the Dramafever website.  

The others you can find on youtube or there are other sites that have them but I'd have to look up links and stuff.  

Now the celebrities are Korean ones.  And Roommate is not your "average" person but is also famous people including Idols.