Menu

Robin Williams Favorites

Twigs

Not a role, but a story about him.  My track coach in a California school was Robin William's track coach 10-15 years earlier.  He told us about the times that Robin would run races and practice his ventriloquism skills.  He would come up behind other runners, throwing his voice to sound like one of their coaches.  He would tell them to slow down to keep their pace.  In those moments, he would pass them up and win races. 

I loved Robin Williams in Bicentennial Man, Hook, and Dead Poet's Society especially.  And August Rush, though he's not exactly likeable in that one.

I remember a few years before Hook came out, my dad commented that if anyone ever made a movie about Peter Pan growing up, Robin Williams would be the perfect actor for that role.  He got some major kid awe for calling that one. :w00t:

No one has mentioned Good Morning, Vietnam yet -- I watched that movie several times and recall liking it a lot.  I wouldn't enjoy the language as much anymore, but do recall that it was a movie where he was given the freedom to improvise the radio scenes, and his comedic skills were amazing. 

I also liked Awakenings and Dead Poet's Society, and like others, grew up on Mork and Mindy. (And I'm just a little bit bothered that my transcription software gives me Moorook when I type mork  .... "Mork" should come out first IMHO, then Moorok, whatever a Moorok is.)

I love lots of his movies but my favorite role hands down is the Genie.

Me, too! When later characterizations of Genie had a different voice actor, it just wasn't Genie anymore! Mrs. Doubtfire is one of my favorite movies of all time. "Carpe Dentum -seize the teeth." Patch Adams. Loved that! Professor Keating. My dd and I watched Dead Poets Society together a few months back. And he was riotously funny in The Birdcage! "I feel like I'm riding a psychotic horse into a burning barn."

I don't think I could pick just one. My kids would probably pick Peter Pan in Hook. We just watched RV with them a few weeks ago and they just laughed and laughed. My dh an I really liked his new show The Crazy Ones, but it was cancelled after one season. Now I'm wondering if his depression made him quit the show.

I don't think I could pick just one. My kids would probably pick Peter Pan in Hook. We just watched RV with them a few weeks ago and they just laughed and laughed. My dh an I really liked his new show The Crazy Ones, but it was cancelled after one season. Now I'm wondering if his depression made him quit the show.

I'd forgotten about RV.  That was a really great comedy for those of us who love to travel.  I'll definitely have to add it to Awakenings and Jumangi on my list of highest tier favorites of his.

The Birdcage and Death to Smoochy never fail to make me roll with laughter.

I loved his work in Dead Poets Society, Good Will Hunting, Night at the Museum, Good Morning Vietnam, Jacob the Liar, and Mrs. Doubtfire.

His voice work in Robots and Aladdin were excellent.

I love Birdcage, and crack up through the whole thing, every time.

Good Will Hunting, Good Morning Vietnam, and Dead Poets Society are epic films.

Me, too. I just stumbled on The Birdcage while channel-surfing and had to re-watch it, even though I was coming in somewhere in the middle. I love that type of comedy, anyway...very similar humor line as "Meet the Parents" and "Little Fockers," which are also some of my favorite comedies.

Good Will Hunting (best), Dead Poet's Society and Patch Adams.

I also like Mrs. Doubtfire (the only pure comedy of his I like) and the kids like the Night at the Museum movies. The kids are sad and are also bummed b/c they wanted him to be in NATM 3. Maybe he filmed it already?

Dh and I quote one of his Mork quotes all the time. Mindy had a mud mask on. She told Mork it was to make her look better. His response? "Bad news, Min." Dh just quoted this on Sunday night when I put a scarf on my head in a silly way to get a laugh. 

I preferred his dramatic roles to his comedic ones. Good Will Hunting was his best work IMO. It was funny to watch him be interviewed and get the reporter all flustered on live tv.

And let's not forget "Don't Worry, Be Happy." *Sad sigh*

No one has mentioned Good Morning, Vietnam yet -- I watched that movie several times and recall liking it a lot.  I wouldn't enjoy the language as much anymore, but do recall that it was a movie where he was given the freedom to improvise the radio scenes, and his comedic skills were amazing. 

I also liked Awakenings and Dead Poet's Society, and like others, grew up on Mork and Mindy. (And I'm just a little bit bothered that my transcription software gives me Moorook when I type mork  .... "Mork" should come out first IMHO, then Moorok, whatever a Moorok is.)

Yes! Having a son play baseball, Dh and I quote this one a lot (The kids haven't seen it):

Sergeant: "What does three up and three down mean to you?"

RW's character: "End of an inning?"

Brilliant comedic mind. So sad.