Menu

Tell me about good places to live

PeacefulChaos

I don't love where we live.

We wouldn't be averse to moving elsewhere, except that we honestly have no idea the best way to go about it.

About a year ago I asked about Texas (maybe not even that long? Idk). Now I'm curious about places in general, especially Colorado Springs...

So tell me. COL and all that, for wherever you think is a great place to live. What do you like about it? What makes it great?

FYI, I don't like the Midwest (Missouri is where I lived for 9 years and there's so nothing there!!) or anything very north because I hate cold weather. (Yes, I know CO gets cold. There are redeeming things about CO that would, I think, balance that out.). So I guess if you are thinking of a place that gets cold but has redeeming qualities that make the coldness bearable, that's fine, too. :P

Supposedly I have a hard time just being content where I am. While that may be true, don't bother saying anything about it here. :D

Oh, and how does one orchestrate a big move? Like I know a lot of people move for their job (that's what was behind my family's moves as a kid) but that's not an option for us. When we moved here from MO it was only doable bc dh had a guaranteed job and we knew a lot of ppl here (dh's hometown). He doesn't work in a high demand field or anything - he's head of maintenance at a nursing home. Used to have a construction business til the economy tanked, and I swore we'd never rely on income like that again. As for me, I'm a sahm/receptionist so nothing real exciting here, either.

I'd definitely want good schools. Here the schools are crap - that's why we homeschool.

Idk. I just feel like here is a dead end. There's nothing in this little town and I think a lot of ppl end up just feeling like they're stuck here. I'd love to get out.

Check into Heather's "Florida" thread unless you are dead set against Florida. What are your preferences in terms of climate, proximity to cities, affinity to rural living, shopping opportunities, universities, etc?

As far as your weather prefs go, Seattle gets cold and a little snowy but not like the midwest. Portland, Oregon is similar. Both places have a lot to offer.

Check into Heather's "Florida" thread unless you are dead set against Florida. What are your preferences in terms of climate, proximity to cities, affinity to rural living, shopping opportunities, universities, etc?

As far as your weather prefs go, Seattle gets cold and a little snowy but not like the midwest. Portland, Oregon is similar. Both places have a lot to offer.

Seattle rarely gets more than a dusting of snow and some years we don't even get that. The last time there was a major snowstorm was the Christmas season my younger son was born. He will turn 6 this December and there's not been enough snow for a snowman his whole life except for one single solitary day and let's just say it took a lot to scrape that much together.

We live about 45 minutes outside of Richmond, VA.  I love it here.  The summers are a bit hot but not terrible and we have 4 real seasons with one or two decent snowstorms a winter for the kids.  I can be at a nice beach (Chesapeake bay, Virginia Beach or Outer Banks) in under 3 hours or in the Shenandoah mountains in the same amount of time.  I can also be in either Raleigh or Washington, DC in under 3 hours with all those cities have to offer.  Richmond has everything you could really want in terms of shopping and some great museums/cultural activities (traveling broadway shows, major concerts, etc).  The cost of living is fairly low, the job market is decent and there are good in state college options.  

I looked through it. I don't love or hate Florida, but I'd kind of rather be somewhere else. We have family in Jacksonville and ft Walton beach.

I don't want to be in the country again. I'm not a country girl. That said, it doesn't have to be city, necessarily, either. Suburbs are fine, or something at least convenient to the city.

As far as climate, I'm not picky- Other than not loving the cold. :)

Shopping, universities, I don't really care. I want more available than what we have now. We live in a town of like 7000, rural, with a walmart, fast food, and Applebee's, if you get the idea. :) that's why something more convenient to a larger city sounds really appealing to me.

We live about 45 minutes outside of Richmond, VA. I love it here. The summers are a bit hot but not terrible and we have 4 real seasons with one or two decent snowstorms a winter for the kids. I can be at a nice beach (Chesapeake bay, Virginia Beach or Outer Banks) in under 3 hours or in the Shenandoah mountains in the same amount of time. I can also be in either Raleigh or Washington, DC in under 3 hours with all those cities have to offer. Richmond has everything you could really want in terms of shopping and some great museums/cultural activities (traveling broadway shows, major concerts, etc). The cost of living is fairly low, the job market is decent and there are good in state college options.

Haha, that sounds like where I live. Literally. :)

I love the Pacific Northwest!  We are military so we are all over the place but if I could just choose a place to live it would be Portland, mild winters and summers, lots of rain, beautiful scenery, close to beaches and mountains.  I love the "hippy" feel, the local coffee shops, a zillion breweries in close proximity.  Cost of living is reasonable, especially to me after coming from the Bay Area and now Hawaii.  :)

western Washington is a great area.  temperate and mild.   lots of gray in the winter, but the rain is in the form of "drizzle" and few natives bother with umbrellas.

Lots of natural.  lakes, mts, three (or less) hours to the ocean.  skiing to sailing.

I love it here - but depending upon where, it can be expensive.

I looked through it. I don't love or hate Florida, but I'd kind of rather be somewhere else. We have family in Jacksonville and ft Walton beach.

I don't want to be in the country again. I'm not a country girl. That said, it doesn't have to be city, necessarily, either. Suburbs are fine, or something at least convenient to the city.

As far as climate, I'm not picky- Other than not loving the cold. :)

Shopping, universities, I don't really care. I want more available than what we have now. We live in a town of like 7000, rural, with a walmart, fast food, and Applebee's, if you get the idea. :) that's why something more convenient to a larger city sounds really appealing to me.

Lucy Stoner mentioned that Seattle rarely gets more than a dusting - this may be what you are looking for in terms of climate and not too cold. Lots to do in Seattle and surroundings. Portland, Oregon is supposedly offering good jobs and the area is nice and fairly close to the coast. Rain and clouds, however, will be your companion.

In California, you have a choice of weather and varying job markets. LA is huge, freeways to everywhere and probably a lot to do. San Francisco is cool and windy and expensive but perhaps good job opportunities. The central valley is generally hot in the summer but no snow in winter and temps that dip down to F27 during the night are considered almost extreme.

Around Sacramento there are suburban areas; to the east are the mountains with plenty of opportunity for skiing, sledding and winter fun without having to live in it. :) Generally the coastal areas are more liberal / crunchy and the inland areas more conservative if this is a consideration.

Northcoast is a little slow on the job market unless you are an independent business owner. Eureka is one of the "bigger" cities. Inland is Redding - very hot in the summer (F110 not unusual), more conservative than coastal area.

These are the only areas I can speak about. There is obviously a lot of country left to consider. :)

I vote Colorado Springs!

Realistically winters here are not that bad.  Most days are sunny and snow melts usually by afternoon.  It may be cold and snow one day and a day or two later be in the 40s/50s.  It is pretty dry here so the cold does not feel near as cold as it does in places where there is moisture in the air.  It is our norm to carry our coats in the car but generally leave them there when just running into the grocery store, with the exception of very cold days obviously.  This was never possible where I grew up, in the NE, where you need to bundle up in layers every time you step outside.

Besides the nice weather -

- this city is beautiful

- the sun shines most of the time

- the library system is beyond awesome

- it is a large city with a small town/neighborhood feel

- people are friendly

- there are many, many places all over the city to enjoy outdoor activities (parks, hiking, mtn biking, picnicking)

- there are a lot of homeschoolers

- there are numerous homeschool groups and programs you can join

- did I mention it is usually sunny?

Lucy Stoner mentioned that Seattle rarely gets more than a dusting - this may be what you are looking for in terms of climate and not too cold. Lots to do in Seattle and surroundings. Portland, Oregon is supposedly offering good jobs and the area is nice and fairly close to the coast. Rain and clouds, however, will be your companion.

Rain and clouds, yes...and don't forget the traffic jams! 

Personally, I'd think twice about moving to WA or CO because of all the dopes who voted to legalize marijuana.  I understand that Denver has had an increase in the young men in the homeless shelters who moved to CO for the pot.  It doesn't suprise me, and I'll bet some of them will move north to WA (where I live) when the weather gets too cold in CO.

The Seattle area used to be much nicer.  For instance,  now there are a lot more bums on the streets and outside grocery stores, etc. with their cardboard sign "requests".  Just last week my dh told me about a guy holding a sign with "Special Needs" as the title.   The first item the guy listed was "weed".  To me, "Special Needs" means something different...I wasn't expecting to hear that he was looking for pot.  The bum signs that I've seen usually reference beer or a mountain bike.  :glare:

Rain and clouds, yes...and don't forget the traffic jams! 

Personally, I'd think twice about moving to WA or CO because of all the dopes who voted to legalize marijuana.  I understand that Denver has had an increase in the young men in the homeless shelters who moved to CO for the pot.  It doesn't suprise me, and I'll bet some of them will move north to WA (where I live) when the weather gets too cold in CO.

The Seattle area used to be much nicer.  For instance,  now there are a lot more bums on the streets and outside grocery stores, etc. with their cardboard sign "requests".  Just last week my dh told me about a guy holding a sign with "Special Needs" as the title.   The first item the guy listed was "weed".  To me, "Special Needs" means something different...I wasn't expecting to hear that he was looking for pot.  The bum signs that I've seen usually reference beer or a mountain bike.  :glare:

Not a valid fear:

study released yesterday by Colorado’s Marijuana Enforcement Division supports Hickenlooper’s impression that legalization has not had much of an effect on the prevalence of cannabis consumption. 

And:

FBI data indicate that the overall crime rate in Denver, the center of Colorado’s marijuana industry, was 10 percent lower in the first five months of this year than in the same period of 2013.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsullum/2014/07/10/how-is-marijuana-legalization-going-so-far-the-price-of-pot-peace-looks-like-a-bargain/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/17/marijuana-crime-denver_n_5595742.html

Do consider the cost of living wherever you consider your future home.  I live in SE TX, and while it's not the climate or locale I like (I miss snow and horizons!), I wouldn't leave because family has established here.  There are more jobs, better pay, and a lower cost of living than the Front Range of CO (where DH's family and I all came from).  Because of this we could afford living on just one income while taking trips each year to see far-flung family and friends.  DH's grandmothers are both still alive (though one may not be for much longer), and it means the world to them and us for us to be able to go see them each year.

As for CO, unless one or both of you have a much-in-demand-job and can require a very healthy salary I would look very carefully at the finances of living there.  I lived in Greeley and Ft. Collins for 13 years, and towards the end of my time there the COL skyrocketed.  Jobs pay far less than comparable positions do here, and an out-of-the-way fixer-upper house there with no yard to speak of costs more than our sizable house and yard here do.  People love the climate in CO, especially along the Front Range.  There's the ability to enjoy snow and skiing, while seldom having to shovel your driveway on the flat land ("solar snow removal" -- it warms up most winter days enough to melt the snow).  Because of the demand to live in and near the Front Range and mountains the COL is quite high.  Elsewhere in the state, especially in SW CO, making a living is a lot harder, due to lack of jobs.  I know people in both of these regions of CO, so this is not just memories of several years ago.  These conditions still prevail.  I still love the climate there and love visiting there on our trips, but I'm glad to live somewhere more affordable.

Idk. I just feel like here is a dead end. There's nothing in this little town and I think a lot of ppl end up just feeling like they're stuck here. I'd love to get out.

I guess a better question is what wouldn't feel like a dead end to you?  Where I live is very, very rural.  A lot of people do think it's a dead end.  But I like the peace and quiet.  I like land and birds and a world where there is enough serenity that I can focus on the things that matter to me: my family and my faith.  To ME cities always feel like dead ends.  I wander around going, "how on earth do people stand to live on top of each other like this?  and how can they even hear themselves think?"

So, it's all subjective.  Instead of asking others what they think are good areas, you need to ask yourself what a good area (to You) would look like.  Post that list and see what people come back with.

I love wyoming. No state income tax, high wages, low unemployment, awesome seasons (it is windy, though), mountains, tons of outdoorsy things to do.... It's the best. ;)

Wyoming looks soooo good to me!  I love watching Longmire and fantasizing about moving.  My 15 year old has Wyoming Catholic on his short list of schools.

You didn't like Missouri?! We live in a very rural area of the state and have 2 awesome state parks near us plus lots of caves and hiking. There are a bunch of lakes, blueberry picking, apple picking, pumpkin patches, corn mazes, hayrides, etc. There is a bigger town 45 min from us with a few museums, a zoo, a kids discovery center, a rock climbing gym and lots more.

There is the Katy Trail, tons of free things to do in St. Louis. Great museums, shopping, dining, events, St. Louis Zoo, Science Center, Magic House, everything else in Forrest Park, The Hill, The Museum of Westward Expansion, Chain of Rocks Bridge, the list goes on. KC has a lot to offer as well.

There's the Missouri Wine Trail, Mizzou games, Laura Ingalls Wilder's home and museum, great foodstands in Amish country, I could go on and on. We do a fair amount of driving to explore but its worth it. I get sick of the winters too but power through. Sorry you didn't enjoy your time here. I just didn't want others to have a poor impression of Missouri.

There are no jobs here. There's one small hospital, the nursing home we work at, and that's it unless you want to/are able to find something at one of the colleges.

There isn't anything here for the kids. A couple über religious coops (not that I even want a coop), a crappy community soccer league and a decent kids baseball league. A dance school that isn't all that great.

No culture except the kind at tractor supply. :) no museums unless you drive an hour. 3 hours to the beach, 3-4 to DC. Mountains an hour the other direction.

Horrible public schools. Like really, really bad. Only other options are overpriced - and still not very good! - private schools.

Family is here. Don't mind getting away from that, either.

Overall I think I'm just sick of it. Sick of the same 4 stop lights and the same hour drive to the doctor. Sick of the same scenery, even though lots of people think it's beautiful here. Sick of the same old thing.

I just want to be somewhere totally different. I hate feeling like I could end up living my entire life in this crappy little middle of nowhere town in VA.

I happen to think south central PA is a pretty darn fantastic place to raise a family, and I hope never to leave. The people are nice and welcoming. Schools vary; my county's are in the middle, but it seems like there is high parental involvement. Rural living but a small town feel, and while I'm 20 minutes from a grocery store (by choice -- DH wanted a couple of acres, but we could move 15-20 minutes down the road and be in a small town), I'm also only 20-30 minutes from shopping, restaurants, etc. There is tons to do here -- historic stuff, cultural stuff, outdoorsy stuff, universities, sports, theme parks, you name it. Lots of homeschool co-ops and groups, and tons of stuff for homeschoolers to do. We have more options for extracurriculars than we can afford time or money wise, and nobody bats an eye at homeschoolers. Weather -- we get enough winter to appreciate summer and enough summer to appreciate winter, but not generally the extremes of either. Spring and fall (and this summer, apparently) are simply amazing.

I've lived all over the US, and was surprised to find that I am a city person. Who knew? We just moved from a "paradise" in CA that totally did not suit us at all! Blech! We could see the Pacific Ocean and all from our condo association. I had no friends.

Now, we live in a big city. I never wanted to live in a big city.

All our friends live within walking distance of us (well, all the ones we see much). I can take public transit anywhere I want to go. I went to the park today and ran into a friend. I saw two other people I knew while walking around near my kids' karate lesson. I rarely go to the store without seeing people I know. Who knew I had to move to an "anonymous" city to have the community I wanted?

It is cheaper here than anywhere else we lived (we lived on the coasts). I have access to tons of cultural activities. I am half a mile from a beach (on a lake). We ride our bikes for fun and transportation. My kids go to German School on Saturdays. I have taken free ballet classes for adults in the evenings. My kids spent the evenings playing with neighbors in the street.

I *never* would have thought I would have liked it here. I cried while visiting this place after hubby got a job and was being recruited, but I really can't imagine leaving (at least happily!).

All our friends live within walking distance of us (well, all the ones we see much). I can take public transit anywhere I want to go. I went to the park today and ran into a friend. I saw two other people I knew while walking around near my kids' karate lesson. I rarely go to the store without seeing people I know.

That's why I want to move badly. I miss this kind of city life a lot.

When we tour new homes and there are no one walking around, we strike out that choice.

I really liked the Augusta, GA area. It's city, but not big city. It's close to mountains and beaches for vacations but probably not day trips, has lots of really nice activities, isn't too expensive, and isn't cold. The first year we were there we didn't even take our coats out of the closet. I did see a hard frost once that they called snow, but it wasn't worth more than a jacket. It gets hot, but not like FL. It's on a river so I think that moderates the heat somewhat. It has great medical facilities and lots of old golfers like to retire there so I bet there's plenty of nursing homes!  ;) There are several little cities and suburbs around it and you'd want to carefully consider what part you'd prefer- there's a wide range of choices. 

What's your housing budget?

How important is it to be in a low COL area? Are amenities more important than COL?

Are you looking for low property taxes, or would you not blink an eye at paying $20,000 or more per year in real estate taxes?

Will you or your dh need to find work there?

Colorado can be at least as isolated as Missouri. Colorado has the large population centers along I-25 but after that you would need to travel really far to get to another large town. Kansas City is the next large town to the east.

Maybe it's not the Midwest you hate as much as small towns. Or small towns far away from big towns. I've lived in a small town in Missouri 80 miles from the nearest mall. Ironically, I grew up in a small town in Colorado 80 miles from the nearest mall.

To find the right fit you need to think about what is important to you. Do you like neighborhoods with larger lots and privacy or smallern lots so you can walk to things? How do you feel about humidity or the lack of it? How crowded can you handle stores and events? How do you feel about driving distances to everyday things and congestion? How much sunlight do you need? Do you prefer lots of trees or wide open spaces? There are lots of great areas of the country but somebody who likes overcast days strolling along the beach isn't going to be happy in Colorado. If your idea of a dream town includes walking to the grocery store and library I think a lot of Texas is out.

Wyoming is not for you. It's a nice state with a lot going for it. I used to live there (I've moved a lot). It's not what you are looking for. The towns are too small and too spread out. Winters are also worse than Colorado.

What's your housing budget?

How important is it to be in a low COL area? Are amenities more important than COL?

Are you looking for low property taxes, or would you not blink an eye at paying $20,000 or more per year in real estate taxes?

Will you or your dh need to find work there?

1. I have no idea.  We don't have a house now lol - we rent from the place we work.  :P  On one hand, we have a great deal on our house - on the other hand, we're stuck.

2. Since neither of us have a job that requires much of anything, I guess COL matters.  It's not like he has a job that moves people around the country or that is in demand, kwim?  

3. Again, no idea.  Hell, I don't even know what property taxes are here.  We only pay on our car lol.

4. Yes, both of us, probably.  If there are good schools I'm cool sending the kids.  It was never part of my plan to be a homeschooler.  That's not to say I don't like it - I do.  I just have kind of complicated feelings about it all.  But that's a whole other thread lol.  :)

Colorado can be at least as isolated as Missouri. Colorado has the large population centers along I-25 but after that you would need to travel really far to get to another large town. Kansas City is the next large town to the east.

Maybe it's not the Midwest you hate as much as small towns. Or small towns far away from big towns. I've lived in a small town in Missouri 80 miles from the nearest mall. Ironically, I grew up in a small town in Colorado 80 miles from the nearest mall.

My town in MO actually wasn't horrible.  I actually liked it better than here, as far as the town itself goes.  It was twice this size, and about an hour from STL.  I also lived in Springfield.  

I didn't like being really far from everything.  Like, MO doesn't have much history OR scenery.  I think I'd want at least one of those - here it's history, kwim?  And it was SO far to anything - no mountains unless you drove hours one way or the other, no beaches unless you drove hours one way or the other, that sort of thing.  While I liked STL, it didn't make it worth it for the lack of everything else there.  

And I said I could never live in the middle of the US again, because Korean bands only come to LA or NYC to do concerts lol... :lol: :lol:

To find the right fit you need to think about what is important to you. Do you like neighborhoods with larger lots and privacy or smallern lots so you can walk to things? How do you feel about humidity or the lack of it? How crowded can you handle stores and events? How do you feel about driving distances to everyday things and congestion? How much sunlight do you need? Do you prefer lots of trees or wide open spaces? There are lots of great areas of the country but somebody who likes overcast days strolling along the beach isn't going to be happy in Colorado. If your idea of a dream town includes walking to the grocery store and library I think a lot of Texas is out.

DH likes space, but he likes being in town.  We don't currently live anywhere walkable, though.  It's just not walking-friendly if that makes sense.  I wouldn't mind being able to walk more, but at the same time I'm not sure if I would if I could.  I will say I like the idea, at least, of being able to walk or take public transportation a lot.  It's one of the things I love about NYC.

I don't love humidity but if I can be in water it doesn't matter.  I send my kids out more than I go out myself.  I love being around a lot of people.  Right now, I have to drive everywhere anyway so it doesn't really bother me.  I like time in the car, especially if it's by myself.  

I love the sun.  I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I have SADD, not even kidding.  I hate dreariness.  Hate it.  

Idk about the trees or wide open spaces.  I don't think I'd like barrenness, like just grass.  I love deserts but I don't like scorpions (lol!) or sand storms.  I think VA looks boring.

Wyoming is not for you. It's a nice state with a lot going for it. I used to live there (I've moved a lot). It's not what you are looking for. The towns are too small and too spread out. Winters are also worse than Colorado.

I thought of you when I heard about this survey of the friendliest/least friendliest cities on the evening news.  Here's a link if you're interested:  http://www.usatoday.com/story/dispatches/2014/08/04/conde-nast-traveler-friendliest-unfriendliest-cities/13577157/

Funny.  San Antonio and Fort Worth have both been on my short list lol.  :)

It's not low COL, but I cannot complain at all about life in San Diego. It beats the pants off of both LA and SF.

If only I could find a low COL area with 300+ days of sunshine, no humidity, and no bugs. Apparently, this is a pipe dream.

West Michigan can be very nice.  We have Grand Rapids which is a bigger city with everything you need from top notch medical care to several colleges, museums, zoo, sports arenas/concert venues, shopping, etc.  Go out about 30 minutes though and you can head closer to the lakeshore with some of the best beaches around, nice quieter towns, some rural areas, etc.

We live 30 minutes from the bigger city and about 20 from the beach.  We have lots of county and state parks and recreational areas.  Cost of living is very reasonable (our taxes on 5 acres with a 5+ bedroom home and 2 barns are about $2600/year).  Smaller family homes can be found for about $100,000 or a bit more in decent areas.

The 2 big downsides are WINTER.  Last year we had a record cold and snowy winter with snow on the ground from Thanksgiving to mid March.  Many schools cancelled classes 10 days last winter due to storms and snow.  That said the cross country skiing was AWESOME.....and they have free lighted groomed trails just 4 miles from my house :-)

The other downside is the economy in this area is still very sluggish.  There ARE jobs out there but they pay $10-12/hour and require 50-70 hours a week mandatory.  These are the same jobs that 15 years ago were paying MORE with better benefits.

It's not low COL, but I cannot complain at all about life in San Diego. It beats the pants off of both LA and SF.

If only I could find a low COL area with 300+ days of sunshine, no humidity, and no bugs. Apparently, this is a pipe dream.

This is what I'd love to find too. I'm about done with humidity, I don't mind rain or grey, but humidity when it's 100 degrees is for the birds. 

Don't come to California. The weather is nice most of the year, and it is a beautiful state but the politics are insane, the drought is killing us.... if we didn't have deep roots in this state, strong family ties and a strong support system, we'd be out of here in a heart beat!

I don't love where we live.

We wouldn't be averse to moving elsewhere, except that we honestly have no idea the best way to go about it.

About a year ago I asked about Texas (maybe not even that long? Idk). Now I'm curious about places in general, especially Colorado Springs...

So tell me. COL and all that, for wherever you think is a great place to live. What do you like about it? What makes it great?

FYI, I don't like the Midwest (Missouri is where I lived for 9 years and there's so nothing there!!) or anything very north because I hate cold weather. (Yes, I know CO gets cold. There are redeeming things about CO that would, I think, balance that out.). So I guess if you are thinking of a place that gets cold but has redeeming qualities that make the coldness bearable, that's fine, too. :p

Supposedly I have a hard time just being content where I am. While that may be true, don't bother saying anything about it here. :D

Oh, and how does one orchestrate a big move? Like I know a lot of people move for their job (that's what was behind my family's moves as a kid) but that's not an option for us. When we moved here from MO it was only doable bc dh had a guaranteed job and we knew a lot of ppl here (dh's hometown). He doesn't work in a high demand field or anything - he's head of maintenance at a nursing home. Used to have a construction business til the economy tanked, and I swore we'd never rely on income like that again. As for me, I'm a sahm/receptionist so nothing real exciting here, either.

I'd definitely want good schools. Here the schools are crap - that's why we homeschool.

I could have written this exact post!  A kindred spirit.  We are looking into moving to Colorado Springs, my dh has a job in a low demand field, and we live in MN which makes winter even more miserable.  We also live in a small town but my dh commutes almost an hour each day.  We also would LOVE LOVE LOVE to get out of here.

Beth