Menu

How important was your college degree?

Hunter's Moon

Did Your Degree Matter?   

169 members have voted

1. 1. Did Your Degree Matter?

• Yes, I got a job in the field.
    • No, I got a job in another field - they just wanted the piece of paper.
    • Other.

I'm almost finished with my BA in education. I have no intention of entering the workforce any time soon. I think it is just a good idea to have a degree these days, plus I have access to my husband's military benefits to pay for it.

My husband is also finishing his degree, which has nothing to do with his career, so that he can be promoted.

I just needed a degree of some sort, although having teaching experience (part of my degree was a year teaching English in France) was probably good.  My first job was teaching English in China - they didn't care what degree I had so long as I had a degree.  Most of my other work flowed on after that, moving into technical writing, etc.

For my current job, any degree would have been fine, although my boss was looking for someone who could write business correspondence competently.

L

Unless you have the passion to go into a field that requires a very specific skill set, I think many (if not most) employers are looking for the paper. Yes, you need a specific degree to be an engineer, nurse, scientist, etc.

I got my degree in Public Relations and never went into that field specifically, but used those transferable skills (communicating, writing, speaking) in both careers I've held in my adult life.

In this day and age, a degree matters, imo, but whatever you get it in, make sure it has "transferable skills."

I'm a teacher and I use both of my degrees and they are both necessary (I got a business degree first and worked in retail management where it was needed and then went back and got my MEd in secondary teaching and English, and I teach Business Studies and English).

Both.  For my pre-kid days, I had to have the exact degrees specified for the job I took. One of the people who applied for my first post-college job actually tried to sue the university because he felt he was more qualified (he called me up to tell me that). He had more work experience, but not the right degree for what they wanted. They wanted the degree.

Now some of the work I do is still that specific, and some is not.  They want the degrees, but are not specific about what they're in.

No regrets, although it was a long haul getting them.  I put myself through undergraduate school, and worked as a full-time professional while going to graduate school.

My degrees were in Chemistry and Chemical Engineering. They were critical to my career as an engineer (duh), which I had for 17 years pre-DC and dabbled in for a few years when they were young. These degrees still seem to mean something - the DC will likely go to private school this fall, and the director has approached me out of the blue and asked if I would be interested in teaching, or at least subbing. When I pointed out that I haven't any teaching credentials at all, she said that those degrees, combined with experience as a homeschooler, made her very interested in me.

The thing is, even if you NEVER EVER work in the field you study, you will have a lot of doors kept open by having any degree at all. People can complain about "it's just a piece of paper" but it is more than that. It is evidence to a hiring manager that you completed *something* in your life, that you have a certain level of ability, and that you are more than likely able to learn. That LAST quality is probably the most valuable over time.

There *are* exceptions to this. But if one more person tells me "Bill GATES didn't finish HIS degree and look at HIM," I will scream. There are always outliers. But by definition, most of us are NOT outliers.

I cannot "like" this enough! As an older mama, working Tortoise-like towards a degree, I have had to make this case for myself a dozen times. It is emphatically NOT just a piece of paper. It proves commitment and intention. It connects you with people who can change your future. It exercises your mind and gives you new perspectives and skills.

No, have never used it. I have a BA in music, then worked as a 911 dispatcher and in a different police desk-type job. Neither required a degree, and I was always one of the few who had one, even among new hires.

I taught private lessons for a while, but that was before graduating.

College was good for a lot of reasons, but for me, the completed degree itself was not one of them. Actually, I think it would have been easier to not graduate, because I'll need to basically redo the whole thing someday.

Why?

If you have the degree, getting another degree just means going for that particular degree and if you want something in the same field, it doesn't mean starting over, it just means getting more classes in whatever it is you need.  

Dawn

No, have never used it. I have a BA in music, then worked as a 911 dispatcher and in a different police desk-type job. Neither required a degree, and I was always one of the few who had one, even among new hires.

I taught private lessons for a while, but that was before graduating.

College was good for a lot of reasons, but for me, the completed degree itself was not one of them. Actually, I think it would have been easier to not graduate, because I'll need to basically redo the whole thing someday.

I studied psychology and human biology in college but worked in procurement/contract admin afterwards. For that field, any degree was acceptable, though I did need to take some business classes to get promoted (paid for by my employer).

I am looking to apply to grad school in something related to psychology. Right now I am leaning towards a program that is a M.Ed. with a concentration in educational therapy and then working part-time doing that while I pursue a PhD. in Educational Psychology or Child Neuropsychology. I was looking at the costs of the various therapies my little one will likely need and figured I might as well get the training to do them myself. That way I will also have a marketable skill that will make a real difference in the lives of other families.

I think that perhaps some have misunderstood my intentions in asking this question. 

I DO plan on finishing a Bachelor's Degree. At the moment, I am at a Community College where I am working on a Business Transfer degree with an Accounting focus, with plans to go into Accounting once I transfer. I have just been wondering if it was really the right degree choice for me, or whether I should change before I transfer to a 4-year. 

I think that perhaps some have misunderstood my intentions in asking this question. 

I DO plan on finishing a Bachelor's Degree. At the moment, I am at a Community College where I am working on a Business Transfer degree with an Accounting focus, with plans to go into Accounting once I transfer. I have just been wondering if it was really the right degree choice for me, or whether I should change before I transfer to a 4-year. 

Ah, that's a different question!

Accounting is so job-specific that I'd try job-shadowing an accountant, if you can, or something like that.

I worked closely with the accounting department at my last employer. The department supervisor position came open and I was encouraged to apply for it but I did not meet the minimum qualifications. Senior management wanted someone with either a CPA, a Master's in accounting, or a MBA with a concentration in accounting. What they did was promote one of the ladies in the department to acting supervisor while she got her CPA. So if you do decide to go into the field, I would recommend earning the CPA credential.

There are also other credentials and tests that are not the CPA.   If you don't wish to go in to public accounting (DH hates public accounting), look at the other tests and requirements.  He has an MA in Business Taxation and has the EA certification.

Dawn

I worked closely with the accounting department at my last employer. The department supervisor position came open and I was encouraged to apply for it but I did not meet the minimum qualifications. Senior management wanted someone with either a CPA, a Master's in accounting, or a MBA with a concentration in accounting. What they did was promote one of the ladies in the department to acting supervisor while she got her CPA. So if you do decide to go into the field, I would recommend earning the CPA credential.

I voted other. I finished my degree late, after a career change. I haven't used it yet. 

From what I understand, having a degree isn't necessary for the kind of work I would be doing, but it will make me more saleable and increase my earning potential.

I won't know until my baby is older and I start looking for specialized work.

Ah....

Only you can answer that.  My husband is an accountant and loves it.  It would be mind numbingly boring to me.  

Have you taken any career aptitude tests?  Have you read any books, like What Color is Your Parachute?  Those might give you some helpful insights into what career field you would enjoy.

Dawn

There are also other credentials and tests that are not the CPA.   If you don't wish to go in to public accounting (DH hates public accounting), look at the other tests and requirements.  He has an MA in Business Taxation and has the EA certification.

Dawn

I am pretty sure that Tax Accounting is not for me. 

I wouldn't mind general bookkeeping for small - medium business.

Many times students can get a heavily discounted rate on membership in a professional organization. I would recommend joining one for accountants and attending some networking events. That way you can talk to people in the field about what their job is like. I personally think cost accounting is fairly interesting but reconciling AP and AR with invoices is tedious work.

Could you switch to Business Administration?

My first undergrad degree (and related languages studied) got me my first 2 dream jobs - one in Norway and the other at the National sporting association. My other degrees (BEd and Masters) opened up even more doors to spread into other fields.

Now as a homeschool mom, all the education I achieved is used every single day in all kinds of ways that I can't even list - it's a part of who I am and what I can share with my family.

Definitely, continue to get the highest possible education you can as early in life as you can.

Actually, I think it would have been easier to not graduate, because I'll need to basically redo the whole thing someday.

Why?

If you have the degree, getting another degree just means going for that particular degree and if you want something in the same field, it doesn't mean starting over, it just means getting more classes in whatever it is you need. 

:iagree:  Agreeing with Dawn. You may need to take more classes to fulfill prerequisites for your chosen major but you likely won't have to start at the beginning. MIL went back to college as an older adult to get a Bible studies degree; her first degree was in psychology. Even though it had been over 40 years since she graduated with her BA the college didn't make her retake those basic classes--they gave her credit for already having taken them. She ended up only needing to take those classes pertinent to her major.

You'll want to check with the school you're interested in to be sure.

:iagree:  Agreeing with Dawn. You may need to take more classes to fulfill prerequisites for your chosen major but you likely won't have to start at the beginning. MIL went back to college as an older adult to get a Bible studies degree; her first degree was in psychology. Even though it had been over 40 years since she graduated with her BA the college didn't make her retake those basic classes--they gave her credit for already having taken them. She ended up only needing to take those classes pertinent to her major.

You'll want to check with the school you're interested in to be sure.

In the Cal State system, science courses (and others I suppose) expire after a certain number of years. It's not uncommon for part time students to have to repeat a few freshman courses before applying for graduation if they take too long.

I'm not sure if that applies anywhere else.

As an older college freshman, I'm at that deciding stage too. I even started a thread in the college board about double majors because the two fields I want are vastly different. 

Really no words of wisdom, just commiseration. I'm really trying to think through what opportunities each direction will give me, what doors will close when I make that choice, and what can skills can I learn on my own and what skills would be better learned in a group environment with the possibility of networking. 

In the Cal State system, science courses (and others I suppose) expire after a certain number of years. It's not uncommon for part time students to have to repeat a few freshman courses before applying for graduation if they take too long.

Good point. I was going to add in my earlier post that I wasn't sure if all schools were so generous but didn't as I thought I'd gone on long enough. So I just added that part about checking with the school.

Credits here expire after 7 years if one has not earned the degree yet. Once the degree is earned, they are permanent. Occasionally, a degreed person who has ben out of school a long time will be required to take a refresher course and colleg writing again to get him or her back in the swing of things, but not always. My friend who has a bachelr's with double majors in chemistry and biology, went back for her BSRN. They made her take college writing and microbiology again. She had been out of school for 15 years working for DOW Chem and said it was a good idea because much had changed in microb b. and formatting for papers was very different from her previous college experience. But, all of her other credits counted and she went into the nursing department on a fast track - 15 months to graduation because of her science degree.

Definitely be aware of these types of issues.

I have never met anyone IRL who regretted having a degree. Some regret debt; some wish they had gone to a less expensive school. Some students I have known regretted listening to heavy handed parents or counselors who pushed them to study something they did not want to do.

As one who is intellectually curious, I loved both my undergraduate and graduate experiences. More relevant to the question though is that my Mathematics degrees have been directly used and required for employment.

My degree got me my first job.  But it couldn't get me a second job.  I got a master's degree and THAT got me my GOOD job.  

Finish. Your. Degree.  

The thing is, even if you NEVER EVER work in the field you study, you will have a lot of doors kept open by having any degree at all.  People can complain about "it's just a piece of paper" but it is more than that.  It is evidence to a hiring manager that you completed *something* in your life, that you have a certain level of ability, and that you are more than likely able to learn.  That LAST quality is probably the most valuable over time.  

There *are* exceptions to this.  But if one more person tells me "Bill GATES didn't finish HIS degree and look at HIM," I will scream.  There are always outliers.  But by definition, most of us are NOT outliers.  

I agree with this post.

The one difference for me was that my Master's degree, although in the field in which I now work, really doesn't help me much in my career.  I know that sounds odd, but what matters at this point is the experience, not the graduate degree.

There are, however, certifications that I could pursue that would make a difference, both in my current job and any new one I should choose to pursue in my field.  That's really the route I should go now.

I got a B.S. in chemistry, w/ an almost double-major concentration in engineering and math.  A degree like that is not worth much at that level, so I went to grad school for polymer science and engineering.  I had to stop at a master's due to financial concerns, and went to work in my field.  I was so glad I did what I did, as the grad degree allowed me to work as a research scientist instead of as a technician.  I did find the M.S. to be somewhat limiting though so went back to finish my PhD in Materials Engineering, but had to go on leave before I finished due to having my high needs baby.  Since then, I have been home with her, but my degree and industry experience have enabled me to do consulting and technical writing and earn really good wages for the hours I spend working from home.

A bit, I suppose. 

I would like to have a degree/career that allows me to homeschool, so either working from home, or working outside of the home only part-time. 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Accounting. The further in I go, though, the more I think it might not be for me. 

As of now, I am a freelance writer who writes for a great company, and will soon be kicking off my own website to get personal clients. 

Can you still switch to a Writing major or go for a graduate degree that points in that direction?

This next degree I am working on is necessary to get registered / licensed in my state.

Even if you get a degree now and then have kids, stay home or do something else, employers view various degrees as proof of academic ability and the potential ability to learn more or learn in other areas.

Out of curiosity, what types of jobs do you see yourself holding with an accounting degree?

Since I want to SAH, or at least, only work part-time outside of the home when we have children, Bookkeeping (possibly as a self-employed individual and not with a company), Consultant for small businesses, etc.

Could you switch to Business Administration?

I could, though many Business Administration degrees require specializations, such as Accounting. Might as well just continue on with Accounting in that case. 

As an older college freshman, I'm at that deciding stage too. I even started a thread in the college board about double majors because the two fields I want are vastly different. 

Really no words of wisdom, just commiseration. I'm really trying to think through what opportunities each direction will give me, what doors will close when I make that choice, and what can skills can I learn on my own and what skills would be better learned in a group environment with the possibility of networking. 

Your thread is what made me think further about this, actually. 

Can you still switch to a Writing major or go for a graduate degree that points in that direction?

This next degree I am working on is necessary to get registered / licensed in my state.

Even if you get a degree now and then have kids, stay home or do something else, employers view various degrees as proof of academic ability and the potential ability to learn more or learn in other areas.

I could, and I have considered it. 

Part of me wanted to get a Science degree so I could do Technical Writing, as well, but I don't know. 

I put I got a job in the field, but it's more complicated than that. I have a history degree, but I completed the requirements to be an elementary school teacher. My school did not have an education degree. So, I could not have gotten a job without both my degree and the courses I took to be certified.

My dh, on the other hand, could have graduated in almost anything and followed the path he did (up until he went to seminary and became a pastor).

Lawyer brother's undergrad could have been in anything. Programmer brother graduated in mechanical engineering. Most of my cousins did grad work in the profession they chose--OT cousin graduated with an Aisian studies degree. PT cousin did a business degree. Accupunturist cousin did Archeology (then worked in business for a while).

I could go on and on. But I graduated in the late 80s when jobs were plenty. My friends all got good jobs no matter what they had studied.

I could, though many Business Administration degrees require specializations, such as Accounting. Might as well just continue on with Accounting in that case. 

I could, and I have considered it. 

Part of me wanted to get a Science degree so I could do Technical Writing, as well, but I don't know. 

My undergraduate school had a degree in technical writing with basic level classes in the sciences and then writing classes.  The college mine will likely attend has an English degree with a concentration in what they call "professional writing" which includes technical writing.

A friend of mine got an English degree with accounting minor, and she does bookkeeping on the side.  Getting bookkeeping jobs requires a level of trust though, and she got started doing the books for a small business that she was familiar with and then added two more businesses.

Just some ideas...

It seems as though I have two options at this point:

1) Finish my Business Transfer degree, and transfer to a 4-year in Fall of 2015.

2) Change major to General Studies, and transfer to a 4-year in Spring of 2015.

I will see about shadowing different positions this Fall. If I do switch to a General Studies major, I would keep Acct 2 and Finance on my schedule, add a Literature (req), and a Gen Elec.

Finish a degree, but one you like. Not liking a field is different from it being difficult to educate for. Explore employment opportunities in your current major, if you don't want to do any of them, then there is nothing wrong with changing your major. Would a journalism/ communication/English degree better suit you? Both of my dc changed their degrees during their college stays and I am glad they did. It is not uncommon to sign up for a degree, then discover that you don't like the field. Better to change midstream, than to have to start over.

FYI I worked several years in accounting/banking (no degree), and worked my way up to supervisor level.  It was decades ago, and I figured out that part time accounting jobs were low pay clerk jobs (because mid/upper level accounting jobs were full time)Ă¢â‚¬Â¦. so employment options once the kids were born were so low pay it wasn't worth considering. I don't know if its the same now, but its worth checking what the part time options are for whatever field you study for. And degreeless me with grown kids, if I want to work, it will be starting over. I also don't have enough earning potential to support myself, and I don't like that. If something happens to dh, we are sunk. So I was/am insistent that my dc have degrees.

But she already has the degree.....she isn't going back to finish something she already started.

AND, my point wasn't a specific sub-set of classes, it was the whole, "I need to start everything over again." 

Great, my indecision is contagious.  :lol:  :lol:  :coolgleamA:

Technical writing is another option for me too. It's an concentration within the English degree at my university. 

I did ask about technical writing a few months ago on the chat board. If you didn't read it, you might do a search, was pretty encouraging. 

Well, my overall point was that there are other accounting fields one can go in to and other tests/certifications, etc....besides the CPA route.

I'm not familiar with the CSU system but I found when I was looking into grad school that some programs were willing to accept high current GRE subject test scores as validation of old science courses.

My mom has done this with an associates degree, but she got started many years ago and has a pretty good network of people who know her reputation.  I don't know how hard it would be to do just now starting.

I have a Biology degree.  When first out of college we had moved to a new town for dh to find work and after a few weeks they said they needed help in the accounting department and since I was a college graduate they said I could surely learn the job.  I actually enjoyed the work and was moving my way up in the office. I made more money than the others working there with no degree.  This place valued college regardless of degree.

After we moved I worked in accounting again, but eventually worked my way into a medical career.  

However, having a degree allowed me to get jobs even if I wasn't qualified for them.  

I did a combined 5 year bachelor's and master's degree in physical therapy.  A master's is necessary to sit for boards, so very necessary, and very targeted in terms of degree leading to a job.  Part of my program included 4 internships in various settings, which was great for networking and finding a job.  Several of my clinical sites offered me positions, and I eventually took a position at one of the spots where I had interned.

My degree was required for my job. I did get a job in the field of my degree. I only worked for a few years before kids. I probably never made back the money my parents paid for my degree. I did meet dh during college...Guess that degree was worth it!

Why?

Dawn

Well, there was about two years between "I'm never going to teach music" until graduation, so two years of financial aid and loans toward just getting it done (when I've never had a job requiring a degree) when I could have been working and saving money.

I don't necessarily mean starting over credit wise, more like paying for college AGAIN when I spent two years treading water just to get the paper.