Menu

How important was your college degree?

Hunter's Moon

Did Your Degree Matter?   

169 members have voted

1. 1. Did Your Degree Matter?

• Yes, I got a job in the field.
    • No, I got a job in another field - they just wanted the piece of paper.
    • Other.

My degree was absolutely necessary for my job.

Without it, I would not have the knowledge and expertise to do my work. Needless to say, nobody would have hired me without it, because I would clearly not be qualified.

The same is true for all my colleagues.

I have not heard of any self-taught physicist without a degree.

I could have gotten a job subbing with any degree.  However, to actually DO what I like to do (teach math/science) having the degree in my field is pretty essential - and would be essential if I were to ever opt to go full time.  Plus, the first job I had after graduation - working in industry - required my degree and the knowledge gained from it.  "Any" degree would not have worked, though some other science degrees would have.

Physics/Psych majors

Math minor

ETA  The Physics and Math are the academic content I use at school + classes required to get the degree like Chem (except when subbing for Psych!), but the Psych has been invaluable at understanding how people think and motivating kids.  I consider ALL of them useful.  Only the science degree and lab experiences were needed for my first job.

My college degree got me my first very short job, but I could have had a degree in any field to get into the graduate program I went through.  The next degree was career specific. 

Same here, except my first job wasn't that short (5 years).

It also was helpful for what I did, but not completely necessary.

I have been a professional pianist, musc therapist, band and choir director, handbell conductor, music arranger, elementary music teacher, French club leader, and logic teacher. That triple major in piano performanc, music ed, and philosophy with a minor in French. I missed a minor in science by one course and those courses have come in handy homeschooling my high schoolers along with fulfilling my math gen ed with Calc 1. No regrets.

Dh triple majored in compsci, math, and business. He has nearly always worked in IT, butalso served for three years as the assistant vice president of finances for a large seminary. His only regret was not completing a minor in music...he kind of lives vicariously through me! :) But, his paycheck has always been better than mine. So tradeoffs....

Even if I had not made my way in music, I would have no regrets because music is an extension of my soul, and the piano is practically an appendage!

I did get a job in my field but only worked for a short while ( and later occasionally) in my field as I let to be a stay at home mother to my first child - which eventually became 2nd-6th children - and later a home-school mom.

While I don't know that my degree itself was valuable, what was immensely valuable to me was the opportunity to move away from home and attend a university. I did a lot of growing up during that time and for me  it was a perfect balance of freedom and security.

My degree is required for my job (mechanical engineering ) however, I works a different area than what I had my master degree... Same major, different concentration. My thesis was optimization theory (very math basis) but I am now a heat transfer engineer. (Very physics based) It is not a easy switch even within same degree.

I have three degrees. I have had jobs that combined them in different ways. Never a job that uses all three

BS Chem

MEd spec ed

JD

Past Jobs:

public school Learning Disabilities teacher. The MEd was required, but I was hired because I had the degree in Chem. For part of my time in public schools I was assigned to a nationally known science and tech magnet high school.

Disability rights advocate. Used both my law degree and special ed background. Again, would not have gotten that job without both those degrees.

Patent attorney. Degrees in chemistry and law required as well as passing state bar exam and patent bar exam. Used both degrees in the work

Current work:

I have 2 part times jobs

Teacher at a private alternative school. I use my science and math studies everyday teacher. MEd required for this job. The law degree is great background for when I help students with civics and government.

Swim instructor. No degree required, but they very much like my background in education. They know I can handle a variety of kids. I use my knowledge of physics from college regularly when working with adult students--most of my adults are foreign born engineers. Thinking about swimming in terms of physics really helps them keep fear in check because they can think logically about the movements and know if they apply what I'm saying correctly it will work (and they won't sink). I also regularly have children with special needs in my classes. 

Even when I am not working a field related to my education, I often draw on analogies from my various studies to solve problems. 

My undergrad is in International Finance. I never worked in international finance, but did use my general BBA to get a job in marketingĂ¢â‚¬Â¦and then go to grad school (business) and that was very necessary for jobs following graduation.

Could I have majored in something else in undergrad? Sure, but when I graduated, it was a tough job marketĂ¢â‚¬Â¦and would have probably been much harder to get the entry level jobs I did without the business degree.  I later went from global marketing to competitive intelligenceĂ¢â‚¬Â¦and there are people w/a bunch of different backgrounds in that field.  MBAs are the norm, but you'll also find PhDs in various disciplines, market research folks, and stat folks as well.

I got a job in my field for approximately one year before I became a stay-at-home mom. Does that even count? I know I'll never pursue a job in that field ever again, but I do use it to educate my children, so I suppose that's something.

I could have written your post.

I got a job in my field for approximately one year before I became a stay-at-home mom. Does that even count? I know I'll never pursue a job in that field ever again, but I do use it to educate my children, so I suppose that's something.

It gave you the knowledge and confident. It certainly counts

Finish your degree. You won't regret it.

Yes. I was wondering if the OP was feeling discouraged. 

A bit, I suppose. 

I would like to have a degree/career that allows me to homeschool, so either working from home, or working outside of the home only part-time. 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Accounting. The further in I go, though, the more I think it might not be for me. 

As of now, I am a freelance writer who writes for a great company, and will soon be kicking off my own website to get personal clients. 

My degree is absolutely necessary to practice in my original field. I have a bachelor's degree in physical therapy, but a clinical doctorate (DPT) is now required to enter the field. I practiced full-time for almost 5 years before having children; I did on-call work and also worked as a childbirth educator for a few more years before we got transferred overseas. Since then, I have not worked in my field, but have used my knowledge every day in one way or another: 20+ years of homeschooling, teaching co-op students, and managing the healthcare needs of my family.

At this time, I am back in school pursuing a master's level certificate in educational therapy. My bachelor's degree in a "related field" was required to enter the program.

Yes, my degrees (and my undergraduate minor, actually) were/are necessary for my career. DH on the other hand, and bucking the trends in this thread, did not finish either of his degrees and neither of those unfinished degrees have anything to do with his current employment. He does, however, occasionally wish he'd finished one. That's not necessarily for employment reasons though, more about personal goals. But we aren't the sort of people that only place value on college education based on what kind of job it scores you after graduation...All those other intangibles about education and learning and life skills have meaning to us too. All things being equal, best finish what you start if you can. :)

I don't have a degree.

dh couldn't work in the field he was in for 30 years without it.

1dd is a classics major - and that focuses on how language works and translates more to computers than you think.  she's a computer nerd.

2dd couldn't work in her field without her degree (that she's getting in another year.  seven down, one to go).

2ds couldn't work in his field without his degree.

I have never used my degree, but I would not be able to get a job in my field without going on to a masters degree, however I could get other jobs that just require a degree.

Dh needed his degree to get his job. He could not have gotten his job without it, and he would not be able to make near what he makes in another field.

I had to go with "Other," because neither of the more definite choices felt right.

My degree is in English, and I spent most of my pre-kids career as an editor and technical writer. So, yeah, English degree = editor/writer. That kind of makes sense.

However, the majority of my work was in training and technical writing. I edited and wrote reference manuals for accounting and tax professionals and training manuals for computer software. I eventually did some programming when we needed to revise a computer-based training program my employer had outsourced and no one else in the documentation department wanted to learn the programming language. 

My first jobs were primarily editorial, but when I wanted to make the leap to technical writing (because it pays so much better), I ran into a lot of hiring managers and potential bosses who were put off by the fact that my degree wasn't in a technical field. I overcame that by spending a couple of years as a consultant/temp worker doing gigs that allowed me to move into techie-er projects one short-term job at a time. Employers were willing to take a chance because they knew they could get rid of me at any time. (Most tried to keep me around, instead.)

Now that I'm getting back to paying work, I'm trying to transition into teaching or tutoring, rather than editing/writing. Since I don't have a degree in education or teaching certification, I'm looking for ways to do sneak into something related to education through a side door. For the last year, I've been tutoring English, essay writing and social studies online part-time. It's a job that doesn't technically require a degree at all, although the company I work for is starting to push for everyone to have some kind of degree.

So, over all, yes, it has been important that I have a degree of some kind, and my college studies did give me skills and knowledge I've used in many of my jobs, but most of the work I've done hasn't been directly related to the degree I actually have.

My undergraduate degree was a BA in Russian and PPE (Politics, Philosophy, & Economics). My first job out of college was in management consulting -- a very competitive field. My degree did not matter; the reputation of the school that conferred my degree and my class standing did.

I also have a JD. I worked in investment banking and securities litigation after law school. Where I went to school absolutely made all the difference in getting hired. 

I agree that you should stick out getting your degree.

Other. I needed my degree to get my military commission but I didn't actually get assigned to a career field that was related to my degree.

Interesting that you mention accounting. I was going to tell about my BIL whose degree is in accounting but after a few years of work he decided it wasn't for him. He now works on a road construction crew and loves it.

Yes. My specific degree, Biomedical Engineering, was required *almost* exclusively.  There were quite a few Mechanical Engineers in my department as well, but having my specific degree allowed me to circumvent the experience-required requirements.

ETA:  Finish your degree.  Accounting would be more flexible for working-from-home than others.  In my humble opinion, sometimes it is worth working in a field that can help pay the bills but may not be your "passion" to allow to pursue your true "passion" outside of a vocation.  It's not the most popular position to take, but it has been my experience that this holds true.  DH does not have a degree.  He has been working in his field for 30 years.  We own our business in this field.  He does not "like" his job, but it affords us a VERY nice lifestyle and financial security.  I loved my degree, career field, and it paid great.  But DH's allowed me to come home with our children, homeschool, etc.  I now handle the accounting :) for our company.  I was also able to help my parents launch their company this last year by handling the accounting for them.  For the last 12 months, I have taking care of the accounting for 2 companies while working from home and occasionally in an office.  I have a great lifestyle (insofar as it works for us).   :)

ETA again:  One more tidbit.  DH would most likely not be able to get a new position at his level without that degree.  It would take serious networking, which would happen having 30 years worth of contacts, but still............finish your degree.  You won't regret it.  

My degree got me my first job.  But it couldn't get me a second job.  I got a master's degree and THAT got me my GOOD job.  

Finish. Your. Degree.  

The thing is, even if you NEVER EVER work in the field you study, you will have a lot of doors kept open by having any degree at all.  People can complain about "it's just a piece of paper" but it is more than that.  It is evidence to a hiring manager that you completed *something* in your life, that you have a certain level of ability, and that you are more than likely able to learn.  That LAST quality is probably the most valuable over time.  

There *are* exceptions to this.  But if one more person tells me "Bill GATES didn't finish HIS degree and look at HIM," I will scream.  There are always outliers.  But by definition, most of us are NOT outliers.  

Other:

I went to college but didn't finish my degree. I work in pharmacy, which can be a college degree/certificate program, but I learned on the job. If I worked full time, I would make about $45,000 per year, so it isn't too bad for not having a degree. But....I am stuck.  Pharmacy doesn't really translate in to other jobs, so I will pretty much have to start over looking for something at entry level and work up, or count pills until I am 60.

Dh dropped out as a sophomore, and finished high school in his 20's. He is Key Account Manager for an international company (he manages business accounts, not people).  When he was looking for a job a few years back, it was hard to even find a company that he could submit a resume to. Due to online resume submissions, his resume gets red flagged and never seen by most HR departments due to the missing degree. His position generally requires a marketing/business degree. He misses working as a District Manager, which he did for 6 years on his old job (managing people) so he may decide to switch back, but the lack of degree could still hold him back from leaving his current company. He has always been promoted based on aptitude and ability. The way he got his current job, was that he applied for a different, entry level position, and the told him he was way too overqualified for the position he interviewed for and offered him his current job instead. It is pretty clear that they made an exception for him this time, but he won't be able to go higher in the company without a degree. He works too many hours to go back to school, so he will always be frozen at middle management.    

Not sure which category this fits into, but since I decided to go to law school, I needed an undergrad degree.  I had gone for 3 years toward an education degree when I made that decision, so I was advised to change my major to "General Studies" (yes, there is a degree called Bachelor of General Studies) which had a bunch of English, Political Science, and Psychology along with a variety of other stuff.  I don't know how much the law school cared about the details of my undergrad degree, but I certainly had to have one.

I finished school with an MBA and law degree, and did my CPA a couple years later.  Being a lawyer (having a law degree + passing the bar exam) was important to my first job since I was in charge of intellectual property protection/disputes among other things.  The MBA was helpful since I was also the controller of that company.

The more long-term job I took a few years out of grad school was in international tax consulting at a CPA firm, for which the law degree, MBA and CPA were all important.  I could have done OK with less than all 3, but the combination definitely gave me a ton more clout.  And I did use the skills from all 3 as well.

My current job is in another area of tax consulting, which uses my law and MBA background especially.

My first job and my current job also came to be because of a connection I made in MBA school.  She considers my educational background to be important for marketing purposes as well as practical purposes.

I was just thinking this morning that I kind of wish I'd finished my education degree even though I ended up going to law school.  When I was in my 30s I was looking into ways to become a teacher in a disadvantaged school, since I had never really outgrown my desire to help kids with learning challenges / improve troubled schools.  For a person with an undergrad in something other than education, I found the paths to becoming a licensed school teacher were very time-consuming and expensive.  So much so that it would never pay for itself, even ignoring the opportunity cost of quitting a lucrative professional services job.  I found that all the education credits I'd earned didn't count once they were 6 years old.  Dang.  But at the time, everyone was insisting that an education degree was a waste.

My degree was very useful. I worked in my selectedc field for 10 years, and could return if I had to. I would also say my college years and my early to mid 20's as a time living on my own, managing my own money and time, gave me skills and confidence I otherwise would not have had.

I have a BS in Industrial Engineering, but decided I wanted to be a high school math teacher. There was enough math in my degree (and I took a couple of other classes for fun) that I was able to get into a Masters of Ed/teaching credential program for math and easily passed the necessary CLEP test that non-majors have to take. So, degree was necessary, math was necessary, thankfully degree in math not necessary to be a math teacher!

After teaching for 4 years we moved to Oregon where they were laying off teachers. I was able to get an engineering job thanks to my degree, so I did eventually use it.

I know several people (moms, FIL) who do accounting part time. One friend is also a former math teacher and she now subs and does taxes in tax season. It can be a useful degree. I would strongly encourage you to finish some degree, even if you are going to just "stay at home". I now just "stay at home", perhaps I always will since I have a severely disabled child, but I'm very thankful to have a great education. I enjoy my life more, I am a better teacher for my kids, I model for them how to be a life-long learner, and I have a reasonable chance of finding a job where I could support my family if the need ever comes up. And it's so much easier to do now when you are young. I don't have the energy I once had; getting or completing a degree now would be much more difficult.

I went to high school with someone who got her law degree and passed the bar in 2 states. She did some pro bono work while mostly staying home with her dc. I'm not sure whether she ever did paid work. Some years later she decided to go to Bible college to become a pastor. I'm sure she'd say her law degree was important since at that time that's the direction she'd laid out for herself. And she did use her degree doing legal representation. How did it help her in becoming a pastor? I don't know. I can only guess that maybe that experience contributed to her new path in intangible ways.