Menu

Words that Irrationally Irritate You?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though I've lived in the frozen north for 19 years, it bugs me when kids, especially, don't say "yes, Ma'am/Sir" or "no, Ma'am/Sir". To a Southerner, it is rude not to say that.

Ma'am is a contraction for Madame. It has nothing to do with slavery and even if I'm wrong, who cares? Slavery has not been present in the U.S. for over one hundred years.

Well, I'm fluent in French, & I can guarantee you you will never hear "ma'am" from a French person. & I do care if it came from the time of slavery, whether it was 10 years ago or 100 years ago, it doesn't make it any less horrible! Just like I care about what the confederate flag represents, although teenagers today seem to not have a clue or care! I know that now they try to say it is a shortened version of madame, but madame was never a word in normal usage in the south, and ma'am was, by slaves. I find it repulsive to hear people using it, and it makes me angry--that was the question, what do you not like to hear? I hate to hear the word ma'am!

Another cop-speak thing that irrationally irritates me:

Referring to a criminal as "the gentleman"! It seems like cops do this in radio and tv interviews around here. They could be talking about a murderer or rapist but they call him a gentleman! arggghhhh...

I've never heard that one. We always called them "the accused."

Add "liberry" and that's my list too. Oh, and so far I haven't seen this one that bugs me:

"Not for nothin'"

Umm...excuse me?

Mine are actually how things are pronounced. Here's mine (and I'm sorry in advance for people who might actually do this, but since the question was asked ;) )

1. When the word nuclear is prounounced "nuke-u-lar" instead of "nuke-klee-ar" (sorry I don't know how to phonetically write that!) - Like the current president. ;)
  2. When the word "realtor" is pronounced real-uh-tor instead of real-tor.
  3. When someone says orientated, instead of oriented. That bothers me, although I know that it's not grammatically incorrect.
  4. When the word birthday is pronounced without the "th" sound.
  5. I could probably go on and on, but those are at the top of my list...

Well, I'm fluent in French, & I can guarantee you you will never hear "ma'am" from a French person. & I do care if it came from the time of slavery, whether it was 10 years ago or 100 years ago, it doesn't make it any less horrible! Just like I care about what the confederate flag represents, although teenagers today seem to not have a clue or care! I know that now they try to say it is a shortened version of madame, but madame was never a word in normal usage in the south, and ma'am was, by slaves. I find it repulsive to hear people using it, and it makes me angry--that was the question, what do you not like to hear? I hate to hear the word ma'am!

Mom to Aly, would you explain what is offensive about the term? I know nothing of the French language or culture, so I am completely in the dark about Ma'am being repulsive.

Mom to Aly, would you explain what is offensive about the term? I know nothing of the French language or culture, so I am completely in the dark about Ma'am being repulsive.

:iagree: I'm interested. It's considered very polite here. Except that it makes me feel old. :glare:

hubby (or worse hubbie) to refer to husband. It is just too cutesy and familiar.

Also, any words that allow someone to refer to themselves in conversation in the third person. My MIL is terrible about this when discussing things with my girls. I hear her say stuff like "Grandma loves to sew" and I always think she's referring to my own mother. I think it comes across as very narsacisstic and self-important. Or maybe it is just my own hang-up with my MIL.

I think she just is repulsed by ma'am. Somebody else mentioned that it as a contracted form of "madame", which is French for Mrs. (or, ironically, "ma'am" as it is used), but it is actually a contracted form of "madam", not madame.

Meanwhile, on my hit list: definately. As far as I can tell, this is the single most misspelled word in the English language. It is so common, I actually looked it up, wondering if it was an alternate spelling. Tip of the day: it's not.

Do the wavy red lines mean nothing to people?

Oh good grief, of course "Ma'am" and "Sir" were used in the Antebellum South. They were used by slaves, certainly, just as they were used by whites. The words are a sign of respect due to age since the middle ages.

See the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma%27am

In the South today, you will hear adult women calling each other ma'am if they are performing a service job to another individual, whether they are white or black. In my experience, a white woman is just as likely to call a black woman of greater age "ma'am" as the other way round.

You know what annoys me is when people criticize a particular dialect when they don't understand the nuances involved.

No, not repulsive from the French point of view. I was responding to the person who said ma'am was a contraction of madame in the south, and that even if it was from slave times, which she thought it wasn't, that was over 100 years ago, so who cares. I was saying that the French have never, and would never say "ma'am" (probably die first!), "madame" was never used in the south, unless you want to include Louisiana, and I don't think that is the south, and I don't care when slavery existed, I think the fact that it originated then makes it a term I cannot tolerate. And, although everything you read nowadays does try to make it sound like it didn't, everything in history and literature plainly shows it does (I studied this in college, and there is a very plain progression, at least in the US. The only other place this term was ever commonly used for in England, and only for the Queen, in certain situations).

As for the misplaced northerner/southerner thing--I am a northerner in the south, and I agree with the others who have spoken on this, somewhat. While I do find some of the pleasantries are false, I found that in the north as well. I don't think people are as shocked by your kindnesses as some in the north would be (depending on where you are, I lived in Manhattan for my last several years there), but I do find that a lot of people go beyond simple pleasantries and don't really mean it, which is not true in the north (neighbors, etc.).

And, for the record, I will always be a northerner, or yankee, proud of it, my dd, who was born, and has lived her whole life, in the south, is a yankee, and she always will be :D.

My list, in no particular order:

• Weren't, as in "it weren't me" For some reason, I know a couple of folks that say this, and it drives me nuts!
  • rural - but only because I can't pronounce it.
  • Boil, cyst, and turd - ok...just yuck!
  • when someone says "I've got to..." - You either have to _______ or you got something. Not both together!
  • And honestly? I just don't like hearing a word mispronounced. My mother says "em-plaw-ee" instead of employee, and I cringe. Unfortunately, here in the south, LOTS of words are mispronounced!

Oh good grief, of course "Ma'am" and "Sir" were used in the Antebellum South. They were used by slaves, certainly, just as they were used by whites. The words are a sign of respect due to age since the middle ages.

See the following:

In the South today, you will hear adult women calling each other ma'am if they are performing a service job to another individual, whether they are white or black. In my experience, a white woman is just as likely to call a black woman of greater age "ma'am" as the other way round.

You know what annoys me is when people criticize a particular dialect when they don't understand the nuances involved.

:iagree: I am almost 40 years old, and answer all the ladies at my church who are older than me with "yes ma'am" or "no ma'am".

When I am out shopping, I will answer any woman older than me with "yes ma'am" or "no ma'am", no matter their ethnicity.

My daddy (who is from Illinois) would have my hide, otherwise!! ;)

If I hear one more preacher, Bible class teacher or conference teacher) say 'unpack' the verse, Bible story or concept, I'm going to pack and leave.

I don't have many wordy pet peeves, but I've been delighted to read all of yours. ;)

I don't want to "unpack" them or see how they are "fleshed out" in my life. Aack! :glare:

What words get on your nerves for no good reason?

Purposely misspelled words to make a store name cute. Like Krispy Kreme. It's Crispy, and it's Creme, with a C!

The reel-a-ter told us the house was built on a nook-you-ler waste site.

Mixing up site, sight and cite. Site is a place. Sight is what you see. Cite is to quote. Get it straight.

The following words are irrationally difficult for me to say without stammering in conversation: mucus, labia, scrotum, saliva.

Bad words in our home: pee, shut up, stupid (as an insult). My kids say butt and fart but only because Mom and Dad are so immature that those words make us giggle. :D

People often use the phrase "I could care less" when they really mean "I couldn't care less!"

It just makes no sense at all when used incorrectly. Don't people realize that they're really saying the opposite of what they mean?!

That's the one I was going to say!

I also really dislike phrases that are casually insulting to women. An example is "ragging on" as in, "She was raggin on him all day."

And I don't like the use of the word sympathetic to refer to a character in a book or play for whom you would be expected to have sympathy.

Purposely misspelled words to make a store name cute. Like Krispy Kreme. It's Crispy, and it's Creme, with a C!

[snip]

Mixing up site, sight and cite. Site is a place. Sight is what you see. Cite is to quote. Get it straight.

I agree with you on the purposely misspelled words.

On the mixing up, I have another example. How about when someone's curiosity is "peaked?" It's PIQUED! From the French! Sigh.

You guys are absolutely hilarious! Almost ALL of those things annoy me, and seeing them typed out in your posts is just really, really funny! I wonder what I do that people say these things about? O.k., please don't find something in this post!

My grandmother invited people over for dinner on a Sunday and had the meal on the table ready to eat around noon. They didn't show up. Come to find out, their "dinner" was at suppertime, and hers was at lunch!

Oh, yeah, anywayS really bugs me, too!

Chelle

I don't like the word "disrespect" used as in "Don't disrespect me".

I so agree.

It also bugs me to hear people put "the" in front of the name of a specific store. Such as, "I'm going to the K-Mart." or, "I'm headed to the Kohl's."

"Anyways" is another one that irritates me. OH, and when someone puts "and" when saying a year. It's nineteen ninety, not nineteen and ninety.

"felt needs".

That just bugs me. What is a "felt need"? It makes me think of a craft supply (ie as in felt hats or something). How is a felt need compared to an "unfelt need"? I mean, to me, a need is a need is a need. And if you dont feel the need - maybe it isnt a need. :)

Ma'am, a VaJJ is also called a "vagina" or a "private" or a "coochie" or a "down under." It is located in the "crotch" area. Isn't that the gayest thing that you have ever heard? It's so retarted.

Supposably, one can put dungarees over their VaJJ. I could care less. Irregardless.

:lol::lol::lol:

You are something else. Next time I get stressed out, I'm just doing an Elaine search on the boards! Oh, how I needed a laugh right now. Thank you! :D

(BTW, you're also nutters. But that's okay. The funniest people usually are).

Ma'am, a VaJJ is also called a "vagina" or a "private" or a "coochie" or a "down under." It is located in the "crotch" area. Isn't that the gayest thing that you have ever heard? It's so retarted.

Supposably, one can put dungarees over their VaJJ. I could care less. Irregardless.

:lol::lol::lol:

How did I miss this post all day?!

You are hilarious!!

You are something else. Next time I get stressed out, I'm just doing an Elaine search on the boards! Oh, how I needed a laugh right now. Thank you! :D

(BTW, you're also nutters. But that's okay. The funniest people usually are).

:lol: Thanks!

I can't help it, I truly am crazy!

It's true, I can vouch for it. She is nuts I tell ya, nuts!!! And she's making me eat tortilla chips after midnight! I will turn into a pumpkin. Youse guys know I'm never online this late at night! :lol::lol::lol:

[oh yeah, the blue part is from anj]

:lol:

It's true, I can vouch for it. She is nuts I tell ya, nuts!!! And she's making me eat tortilla chips after midnight! I will turn into a pumpkin. Youse guys know I'm never online this late at night! :lol::lol::lol:

[oh yeah, the blue part is from anj]

You two better get to sleep, you have church in the morning. rolleyes005.gif

See the following:

This was asking what really annoyed us, and I answered honestly, without expecting to be jumped on. And "we" weren't here in the middle ages, saying "ma'am". From the class I took, it started with slaves in the south. As I said before, now, places like wikipedia.org, etc, are trying to say it comes from "madame", as in a French derivative, which was not used in the south, nor was "ma'am" ever used in France.

OK, this will be super-unpopular :D

I'm not keen on dc=children, dh=husband, ds=son, or dh=daughter.

There, I said it :001_smile:

Bill (dear Bill)

Nah, Elaine already said the same thing here. And she hasn't gotten any heat for it, so stop getting your knickers all in a knot, dB!!

:lol::lol:

I haven't read the thread yet, but I'll probably be alone in my answer. The word "pee" really makes me cringe. It probably isn't rational but I can't help having a physical reaction when I hear it. I'm sure people feel the same way if they hear me say "tinkle".

dungarees, crotch

I know these are perfectly legitimate words..but ewww

Dungarees is one that bothers me too! Oh and rubbish instead of garbage (or trash). Strange that it bothers me, but it does. Guess that is why we're talking about IRRATIONAL issues.

I have so many of the same that are already listed. My stepmom says Wal-marts all the time. She also uses the "seen" one like Heather mentioned.:glare:

I'm also with the poster who mentioned scrotum. I can't even say it. I don't know what it is with that word. So, for me, that one is a truly irrational irritation.:)

Here's one that is not irrational but drives me nuts: when Christians refer to the book of Revelation as Revelations. It is one Revelation-the Revelation of Jesus Christ.;)

Oh...and I've actually caught myself saying dh, dd, ds, etc. in real life conversation.:tongue_smilie:

:iagree: I'm interested. It's considered very polite here. Except that it makes me feel old. :glare:

I googled the origin because as a Southerner I have always used "Ma'am". I didn't find any evidence that the word was derived from the days of slavery.