Menu

What Am I Getting Into (Kitten-related)

Gil

The Fate of the Kittens  

87 members have voted

1. 1. What Should I Do?

• let the boys keep one kitten in the house while the others stay under the stairs
    • let the boys keep one kitten and but the others get taken to the shelter
    • leave the cats be
    • take the whole pack of them to the shelter ASAP
    • other

My boys want a pet and have for years, especially Buddy. I have staunchly refused every step of the way. Enter: a stray cat. This feline bastard appeared right around New Years. The boys noticed her immediately and I expressly forbade them from interacting with this cat.  They weren't allowed to feed, play with or even look affectionately at this animal.

Despite all of that, Buddy has fawned after this cat. Now after months of seduction on his part, this stray cat feels comfortable coming up on our front stoop, letting the boys get close to her or occasionally touch her and has wandered inside the house a few times. Each time I catch her hanging around, I have run her off. I have hosed this cat, chased this cat, shooed this cat away. I have told the boys to stay away from her. When she was pregnant, I did my best to make her extra  unwelcome so that she wouldn't have her kittens here.

In spite of everything, the cat comes closer when Buddy calls her and now she has moved her five kittens beneath our back-steps. I am so livid. I don't want a pet. I don't want to pay for or be responsible for 1 cat, let alone 6. I don't care how adorable her fuzzy little spawn are.

I am planning to round them all up and take them to the shelter ASAP. The boys are begging me not to. IF I don't take this thing and her offspring to the shelter, what are the odds that they'll stick around as they grow up? IF I let them live beneath the steps now, will they ever go away? What am I getting myself into if I don't get rid of them now?

If you round them up and take them to the shelter, they can be neutered and find good homes.  Kittens are popular.  Otherwise they will continue to use your porch as home base and expand their family. 

ETA:  I would not try to find homes for them on my own...you can't guarantee that people you give them to will have them neutered.

They will stay. And if you take no action, they will have more kittens. Sooner than you think.

(I would let the kids have one as a pet and try to find homes for the rest, but I'm an animal lover.)

See thats the thing, I am not an animal-lover.

I don't even watch the Animal Channel on television.

Even if we could afford a pet, I would never get one.

I don't have anything against cats but in general, when it comes to taking care of some living thing my position is "if its not from my sperm, it is not my responsibility" and I have no interest in it. Even a single pet is two too many in my opinion, because one will always attract a mate or have offspring.

The boys are in their room crying because I'm planning to get rid of the lot of them.

Where's the poll where we get to vote in an overwhelming majority for the boys getting to keep a kitten?

I can never design a poll to the community satisfaction. If you write it and the options then I'll add it and I'll even let it have some bearing in the decision.

ETA: I had to strike part of it out because I just noticed that you said "overwhelming majority for the boys getting to keep a kitten."

You are still welcome to write the poll and I'll add it though.

I would take them to the shelter and allow them to be fostered while the kittens are small.  At that time, if you're ready to adopt, in 8 to 10 weeks you can do so.   ETA - kittens that are fostered will generally do better and will be socialized better.  If they stay under the stairs, they will probably not be adoptable.  If you bottle feed one, they may not learn good behavoir if they're not wrestling with siblings who will punish them immediately if they're too rough.

I will say my 9 and 13 year old have been doing the kitty litter for a few years.  ;)

I got my kitten as a teen by sobbing after finding a feral litter.  Muhahaha!  I gave away his 2 siblings.  That baby lived to be 16 and I still miss him. 

Poll:

What should I do?

- let the boys keep one kitten in the house while the others remain under the stairs

- let the boys keep one kitten but the others get taken to a shelter

- leave the cats be

- take all of them to the shelter ASAP

- other

I'm sorry, I added 2 options that I think that make the poll a little more fair. I don't want any of these animals in the house so in the hypothetical world where the boys get a cat, it would be an outdoor pet.

I'm sorry, I added 2 options that I think that make the poll a little more fair. I don't want any of these animals in the house so in the hypothetical world where the boys get a cat, it would be an outdoor pet.

Definitely the shelter. I would not take in any of the kittens, as they will find new homes easily especially if a foster home raises them. I *would* consider asking the shelter if you can adopt the mother after the kittens are weaned and she's been altered. She'll be street wise and familiar with your neighborhood, and you'll be extending her lifespan relative to being put down in the shelter (the fate of a huge majority of adult cats, especially possibly-feral former strays); plus Buddy already likes her. The kittens, on the other hand, will have their own personalities that you don't yet know and they will be off the wall biting/scratching idiots for most of a year, and raising them as outdoor cats will greatly reduce their lifespan relative to being adopted by a family who will keep them inside.

(I was a bright, verbal and persuasive little girl myself and my parents got me a kitten when I was six. Despite my good intentions I ignored her, she pissed all over the first floor of our split-level, and I don't think I noticed her missing for days after she got returned to the shelter.)

This is a feral cat.  There are pros and cons to bringing a feral cat inside to live as a domestic pet.  You might want to look at Alley Cat Allies - they have a lot of good videos with info about feral cats.  Their position is that feral cats do just fine outdoors, especially if they are neutered.  Instead of taking this cat and her kittens into your home and trying to domesticate them (which may or may not go well), or bringing her to a shelter (where, as a feral cat, she is unlikely to find a forever family), you may want to care for them as feral cats.  There's a lot you can do to make your yard a more hospitable place, especially in extreme cold or other bad weather.  Something to consider.

This page may be particularly useful.http://www.alleycat.org/page.aspx?pid=890

If you do nothing, your neighbours will call you "that crazy cat man" within a year and, if you are a renter, you will be served with an eviction notice.

Cats can become very sick very quickly, especially if you do not get preventative care for them. There are some threads here about unexpected vet bills in the thousands.

Cheap catfood can make them sicker quicker and good catfood (which isn't very good, compared to what we feed our kids) is seriously expensive. I rehomed both of my cats, including the purebred abyssinian, when I realized that i was going to the co-op for catfood and gross out for cheap top ramen for my son.

I'd have a lot more grinchy grumpy things to say about pet ownership if ds1's kitty hadn't recently captured my heart. He is a rescue kitty who was fostered, bottlefed, and has known nothing but love. He knows when one of us is upset and comforts them instead of telling them to STFU or that they're making a big deal over nothing. He's very playful and entertaining. Besides, he's soft and he vibrates when he's happy.

So I'm part of the overwhelming majority and hope that you are in a position to let the boys keep ONE kitten (and neutered boy cats really are sweeter; I used to only have females, but the veterinary care has really improved and they time their operations better to prevent urinary tract problems and unpleasant "Tom cat" behaviours, like spraying and wandering) and since your kids are readers, let them do at least some of the necessary research on how to take care of him while he is being fostered.

Well, it is possible (I don't know if its likely, but it is possible) that the cat is just passing through. Sometimes momma cats relocate their kittens from the birthing nest to another place as they get older. If its only been a day then they could have just been passing through and sought shelter beneath your porch. If that is the case, they'll be gone by tomorrow and you wont have to worry about it.

It is probably more likely that your going to wind up with 6 pet-cats by the end of June and 20 or more by November. I love cats so *I* wouldn't get rid of them all, but I would get rid of some of them. I'd try and have them all fixed, hand-tame the kittens and would probably keep mom and one kitten around after rehoming the rest.

In your shoes, I say take them to the shelter if you aren't interested in being responsible for them. Its a bad sign that the cat will come into your home and come when your boys are out--she's probably someones abandoned/lost pet as that isn't what I know feral cats to do.

If you round them up and take them to the shelter, they can be neutered and find good homes.  Kittens are popular.   

I would not take in any of the kittens, as they will find new homes easily especially if a foster home raises them. 

I do believe you guys are being insanely optimistic. Kittens are popular, sure. There are also eleventy billion of them at every shelter in every town. Taking them to the shelter may be the right decision, and they may find homes, but they aren't going to find homes easily. 

Cats can certainly become sick, but I've had cats all of my life and never had any huge issues with sickness. I'm also not one who thinks you have to be able to afford high quality cat food and so on in order to adopt a pet that would otherwise be on the streets or killed in the shelter. However, there definitely is a certain amount of expense involved, and many people don't have pets. It's strictly up to you. 

If you have a no-kill shelter, I would bring them there ASAP. Call and ask about the best way to round them up - I wouldn't plan on just grabbing the kittens, mama won't be happy and you may have an ER bill instead of a vet bill. 

You can also ask about TNR (trap, neuter, release). This is what we did when a stray had 3 kittens under our deck. They lent us the trap, and we bought low-cost (like $10) vouchers to get them neutered at a local vet. Then you release where you originally trapped them. 

I doubt they would all stick around forever. Cats like a certain amount of territory. In our case, they all stuck around for one to two years, and then gradually mama cat and 2 of the kittens went off on their own (even though we did feed them). Kitten 3, now grown of course, has stuck around and is kind of an indoor/outdoor cat. She's pretty tame, but no way can you keep her inside all of the time, and no way could you ever trap her again, lol, or get her into a carrier. 

Side story: one of the kittens showed up about a year after he left. He walked right into the house, let us pet him, and even hopped onto my bed and took a nap! He stayed for the afternoon, but we never saw him again after that. He had obviously been tamed much more in the missing year, and I thought it was so sweet that he came to visit  :001_wub:

It's okay to not be a pet owner, but I would certainly act quicker in the future. I know hindsight is 20/20, but you should have taken the single cat to the shelter long ago, rather than try to run her off while your kids tried to run her in, kwim? It would have been much less traumatic. 

I would take them to a vet, have mom spayed, and have kittens adopted out. Keep spayed mom in your yard, she'll defend her territory and prevent other strays from planting kittens under your steps.

We agreed to get our boys a pet when my oldest turned 10. That was a couple years ago, and we honestly can't picture how we lived our lives without cats!

Our kittens were rescue kittens that came from a litter of 5. We took two. The vet says two is a great number because they are companions for each other and that has proven to be the case.

So I vote, pick two to keep, and send the rest to the ASPCA because I doubt they'll leave. 

Cats are pretty low maintenance as far as pets go, that's one of the reasons why I like them!

I would round up all of them including the mom.  Take the kittens into the shelter to be spayed/neutered and placed in homes that want indoor cats.  Take the mom to a clinic for shots and to be spayed then let her back out under your steps.  Give her a nice box for a home (a rubbermaid bin with a blanket in it and a hole cut out of the side works well) and allow the kids to feed her and make friends with her.

That way they have a pet that you have very little responsibility for and you don't have to worry about getting conned into a house pet that you will be stuck with for 12-18 years.

I would take them to a vet, have mom spayed, and have kittens adopted out. Keep spayed mom in your yard, she'll defend her territory and prevent other strays from planting kittens under your steps.

This. Your local animal shelter may have a program for spaying feral cats too.

The only positive I see to the shelter (besides getting them off your property) is that they could spay/neuter them.  

A standard shelter will not spay/neuter until someone has chosen that pet for adoption and paid the adoption fee, because most shelter animals will wind up being put to sleep. They, or another local group, might sell vouchers at reduced cost; you can use these vouchers at a local vet to get a stray fixed (trap, neuter, release). 

It's very obvious you don't want a pet....I think you should take the whole lot of them to the animal shelter and be done with it. The parents always end up caring for the pet no matter what the kid says and you shouldn't do it if you resent it and don't like animals.

I have not allowed my kids to have a pet either. Mostly though because we rent and move around too much. A couple of weeks ago a cat walked up our driveway and moved right in LOL. We live in the country with few houses around but I assume it was someones pet once as it is tame and adores the kids. It's also house trained.

We have tried to find the owner but no luck.

We fed him while trying to find the owner and of course the kids fell in love. So despite my no pet rule we now have a cat. I do like cats though and didn't want to take him to a shelter where he would most likely be put down. The bonus is that I never had to housetrain him and he doesn't wreck anything or pee in the house and is just as happy outside as in.

If you do decide to keep a cat I recommend keeping the adult. Far less trouble and bonus if it's an outside cat...you won't need to do much except feed it and spay it.

But really...if you are not an animal lover and really don't want a cat then don't keep it out of kid guilt LOL. They can have as many pets as they want when they leave home.

I haven't read any of the other replies yet.

I volunteer in pet rescue.

I think you should round them up and take them to a shelter.

In all probability mama cat will be euthanized.  Almost certainly.  If you get the kittens into a shelter/rescue group early enough they may have a chance.  Maybe.  A lot will depend on the current population of unwanted kittens in your area, of course.  Some areas are a LOT more over-populated than others.

They will not leave voluntarily.  They will eventually starve or be killed by wild animal predators or cars or disease or poison some neighbor sets out.  A much more inhumane death than euthanization.  Before they die, though, they may reproduce a LOT.  Unless you round them all up and take them somewhere to be spayed/neutered ASAP.

I would NOT assume mama cat is feral.  She sounds like a stray/abandoned cat to me.  There's a huge difference between a feral cat and one who has at some time been used to human interaction.  A feral cat is a wild animal.  A stray/abandoned cat that's been on its own for awhile may be shy of humans but will eventually warm up.  Which is exactly what it sounds like mama cat has done.  If the kittens live under your house and don't get lots of human interaction and handling by humans, they can become feral.

As I said, I don't believe mama cat is feral and so that's not why I say she would almost certainly be euthanized at a shelter.  It's because there just aren't nearly enough homes willing to adopt an adult cat over a kitten.  And the evidence for that is right in this thread--how many people have urged you to keep a kitten (or two) and take the others to a shelter versus how many have urged you to keep mama cat?  You didn't even include a voting choice for keeping mama cat!  If I were going to keep one it would be mama cat.  Kittens can be a trial even for diehard animal lovers.  Adult cats are usually very easy.  But the general public wants the (temporary) cuteness and playfulness of a kitten over the easiness of an adult cat.  Not me.  I've worked with way too many kittens.  I have no desire at all to bring one into my home (other than as a foster).

Don't put any hope into getting them into a no-kill shelter.  I'm not saying you can't, but most people seem to think it's as easy as calling up the shelter and dropping them off.  It's not.  Far from it.  Most no-kills are absolutely overflowing with animals already.  Especially now.  Late spring/early summer are prime kitten season.  And not all no-kill shelters are preferable to a humane euthanization.  Some of them are horrendous.

I remember some of your other posts about not liking animals.  And I say this gently and kindly and not in a particularly condemning way (I do understand some people simply don't like animals) -- A pet deserves better than a home where it's barely tolerated.  And yes, I tend to think that humane euthanization is probably a better choice than just being barely tolerated.

I remember some of your other posts about not liking animals.  And I say this gently and kindly and not in a particularly condemning way (I do understand some people simply don't like animals) -- A pet deserves better than a home where it's barely tolerated.  And yes, I tend to think that humane euthanization is probably a better choice than just being barely tolerated.

I sort of agree.  I don't think an animal hater should have pets.

However, in this situation, I'd have mama cat spayed and let her live out her days in your back yard as this would keep the peace in your family, let you show some compassion to your kids (who are different than you are - just as all of our kids are), and let the mama cat enjoy her life as she knows it (outdoors).

I'd work at finding homes for the kittens if possible.  Have the boys tamed any of them?  If not, now is the time to do so or they'll remain wild.  Kittens can go to new homes at 8 weeks of age, so there's time to get them tamed and give them a chance at life.

I NEVER think it's better to euthanize a perfectly healthy animal who is enjoying their life.

You sound vehemently against owning a pet. I think that is your answer right there. A pet is a huge responsibility, or should be at least. Animals need vet care even preventative like annual checkups for people. They need vaccinations. They need to be spayed/neutered. They need attention and love. For me, having a pet is like having another child. If you can't give that to the cat, then don't keep one around, especially a kitten. The first time the cat scratches a piece of your furniture or fabric, or climbs a drape, you will likely become even more resentful.

If you think you can live with it, phone a vet and ask rates for spaying the mom. I personally prefer rescuing adult pets as I don't like to deal with babies who need to be trained. Call a rescue group and ask their opinion. Tell them these are unwanted animals and you don't know what to do with them. They may offer to come and get them, or recommend a shelter. I support a no-kill shelter in my area but I'm not sure they take in every pet that comes their way. There are only so many volunteers and so much space in the building.

I'm sorry you have been put into this position, but I do think you need to act soon. I wouldn't advise leaving them there as is. They may decide you're their home base, go out and get pregnant, and bring them back to your house. I wouldn't risk it.

The kill policy of shelters can vary widely on area. Even the humane society in our area has very low kill stats, and very high successful foster to adoption rates. There are also several no kill rescues and a feral cat spay/nueter program. If you are not invested in having a pet, do not adopt. Regardless, given the OPs attitude, I would take the entire family to a shelter or rescue and decide to adopt an animal independant of this minor crises playing out in your yard. You are creating more problems for yourself if you just leave them.

I voted for keep one, take the rest to the shelter, because I'm a sucker and I love animals.  For your own situation I would actually say take them all to the shelter.  Cats are a bit expensive if kept indoors (Litter), smelly and time consuming too (again litter).  It can't be an outside cat at this age without its Momma. I think your boys are still young?  Would they be able to care for a kitten?  If you wait a couple years and they still want a cat (that they care for) would that be doable?  Could you find a grown cat that is inside/outside thus cutting down on the time YOU have to spend with it and the amount of litter? (Not on a busy street or neighborhood with big dogs).  Good luck and know that most of us have BTDT.

Given that you don't want a pet at all, it is best to find another place for them; the shelter should be the option you exercise if you cannot re-home them.  They will camp there for life and continue to have more kittens, so you must take some action.

When we moved into our last house it came with a feral kitten living in the garage. We did not want a cat but my daughter did and got this cat to accept her. We got her neutered right away and she was a outside cat. She is just my daughter's cat, she shows no signs of even recognizing any of us. When we moved into the condo she came with us and is now after 4 years acting more like  a pet cat then a stray. If I were you I would take all of them to a shelter. I do no cat care at all, so my daughter has proven herself responsible.But, every time we go somewhere we have to find a pet sitter and of course we pay the vet bills. 

Find a rescue that will take the whole lot, now. Free-roaming cats do a lot of damage to native wildlife, so I don't suggest keeping ANY outdoor cats, even if well cared for, and it's obvious you don't want a pet.

When the kittens are old enough to leave the mom, take them to the shelter, they have a fair chance of adoption, especially if you and the kids handle them a little.

Get momma cat fixed, this is often free or super cheap at the humane society or rescue operations.

Keep momma cat as an outdoor pet, she already knows your kids. She will keep down the pest population and her living there will keep other cats away.

If the boys want pets an outdoor cat is a fairly easy, low maintenance animal.

yeah I re-read your original post, it doesn't sound like a good environment for cats if you'll be living there.

Sorry!

Our two have greatly enriched our lives, but you have to like animals a little bit to allow that to happen.

Good luck.

Yes, this!!

It will be the overall easiest way for your kids to have a pet and for you to not have to deal with an animal in the house, and for the kittens and mama to be taken care of. Everyone wins.

See thats the thing, I am not an animal-lover.

I don't even watch the Animal Channel on television.

Even if we could afford a pet, I would never get one.

I don't have anything against cats but in general, when it comes to taking care of some living thing my position is "if its not from my sperm, it is not my responsibility" and I have no interest in it. Even a single pet is two too many in my opinion, because one will always attract a mate or have offspring.

The boys are in their room crying because I'm planning to get rid of the lot of them.

I think this post makes it abundantly clear that you should not have a pet.

It has been a very, very long day so I have a new question, what is the absolute bare minimum that I can do for a pet cat so that it is responsibly maintained?

Feed it

Fix it

Get it Shots

Anything else?

It has been a very, very long day so I have a new question, what is the absolute bare minimum that I can do for a pet cat so that it is responsibly maintained?

Feed it

Fix it

Get it Shots

Anything else?

Flea treatments. Depending on where you live that can be as simple as a flea collar, or if your area is anything like Florida then monthly flea drops.  They are not difficult to do and it is easier to stay on top of fleas than it is to fight an infestation. Again, it depends on where you live.  We never had problems in New Mexico, Florida is harder.

As far as food goes, dry kibble is fine you do not need to do the canned unless you want to.

The humane society often does low cost rabies shots as well as neutering.

Rabies shots are the only ones I really worry about. 

If it is outside at night and you live in a cold area you might set up a box (think small dog house) in the winter.

We are in Florida...How soon can we start flea treatments on kittens? Based on web research I think they are between 3 and 5 weeks old.

The boys have told Grandma all about their not-pets and she thinks that I should just fix the pack of them and let them continue to live in the yard until they wander off on their own. Is this feasible? This cat has lived in the neighborhood for months and survived without us feeding her.

I haven't said anything to the boys at all about keeping them because I really could live and die without ever owning a pet, but Buddy is so very, very, very attached. My parental guilt is dangerously high. I honestly don't care much about the cats one way or another. I wish she hadn't brought them here, but if it were just me I'd happily ignore their existence and let sleeping cats lie so to speak.

Unfortunately, I'm all tied up in this mess because the boys love the cats and I love the boys.

Honestly, kids are such cumbersome little buggers...

This morning the boys wanted to go out and look for/play with the kittens and I told them no. I told the boys to LEAVE the KITTENS alone, because I don't want the mom to hurt the boys. I told them that if they get attacked by the mom then I'm going to do away with the cat and her kittens for good, period. The boys were subdued and didn't approach the kittens.

That lasted a couple of hours, then the kittens wandered away from mom over to the boys and I got panicked. I told the boys to stay away from them, but the mom did not seem to mind the fact that her kittens were going near the boys at all. The boys petted and played them and handled them off and on all afternoon. The mom didn't seem to mind at all. I don't think that the kittens could eat solids anyway, but we did NOT feed them at all. NOT one crumb, but just from being played with the kittens were following Buddy around the yard like the pied-piper and mom-cat seemed content with it. What does that mean?

I am going to look into having the mom cat trapped, fixed and released because I have to admit that I like the idea of her keeping snakes and other less desirable populations down. If I do, will she still be able to care for/clean/nurse her current litter? I'm worried because the mom-cat seemed okay with the boys playing with and handling her kittens. I can't imagine a mother cat thinking this is okay.

I've been on the web today and I am worried that mom might be going back into heat and that is why she is okay with the kittens venturing off with the boys. I mean seriously, that behavior freaked me out. What is up with that? Her kittens are only 3-5 weeks old (I think) and they are still nursing. Could she be going back into heat? Does that sound plausible?

If the kittens continue to play with the boys, I'm getting them started on flea treatments ASAP, because I don't want fleas in my house. Or on my kids, but definitely not in my house. Or ticks, I hate ticks, I wont have them on my kids either and I mean it.  And I don't care how hateful or aggressive that sounds, I won't have diseased vermin or insects in my house. The roaches are bad enough...

WHICH shots do cats need? We are in FL.

I'm going to sleep on this and call a vet tomorrow but I'd also like to know what it is I'm even supposed to be sleeping on.

i think you are going to go crazy not wanting pets and taking care of, how many, five?  :D Have you considered how much it will cost to have them all fixed? And what if one of them gets hurt or sick? Good luck on this one. 

If she is used to people it would not be unusual for her to be okay with the boys handling the kittens.

I doubt the kittens would wander off on their own.

It depends what treatments you use for kittens, but I think most can't be used before 6 weeks old, some 8 weeks. I also live in FL and I have found that with proper treatment fleas and ticks can be managed, but you do have to stay on top of it.

I don't remember what shots cats need. It has been a while since I had a cat.

Feed it

Fix it

Get it Shots

Anything else?

Among other things? Affection. Security. Commitment. A willingness to provide for its needs, as they arise throughout the animal's natural life, whatever those needs may be. A cat is not a car.

I get that you feel sorry for your boys. I feel sorry for them too. But based on your own words and attitude, you really should not be a pet owner. (Honestly, if you said the same things to a shelter worker that you have said in this thread, they wouldn't let you take a kitty home anyway.) I would feel so much sorrier for your boys if they get attached and you flip out and check out of pet ownership the first time something beyond regular "maintenance" is necessary. A UTI causes kitty to pee outside the litter box (inside cat), kitty digs up a neighbor's flower bed and uses it as a litter box (outside cat), kitty eats something it shouldn't and becomes lethargic and refuses food for days, kitty takes a fall and has a broken leg, kitty gets an eye infection and needs a vet trip, meds, and a follow-up...

Pets need care and commitment, just as kids do, your sperm or not.

You can't flea treat until 12 weeks.  The only thing you can use is diatomaceous earth and a flea comb.  Seriously, I would take them to a cat rescue or even the pound and either 1. do as PP said and take the Mama cat back later (snakes and rodents, lizards too!) she can be fixed, given shots, wormed flea treated every so often, fed and spend lots of time outside. Or 2. tell the boys that the cats are going to wonderful homes but you will seriously consider a young adult cat from the pound next.... year.

Our pound cat is named Mabel, she is sweet, loving, playful and has bonded with my DD to the point that DD can't leave the house without the cat searching/crying for her.  The litter box is in DD's room, as is the food and water.  The cat lives or dies because of my DD's responsibility.  It is working wonderfully(cat is fat and house doesn't stink).  The 2 dogs and bird we've gotten her in the past are MY responsibility. I think there is an age/attitude that a child needs to be before they can care for another living thing.  I will say that the cat is easier then the dogs, bird, rabbit, and hamster to care for (heck, I think the fish required more time cleaning their tank and scooping out dead bodies).  Good Luck.

Mama cat's behavior is not odd or unusual.  I said before that I don't think she's feral, just a stray cat.  She doesn't view your boys as a risk to her kittens, so it's perfectly normal that she lets them play.  I suspect at this point she's very glad the kittens have something to get them away from her. ;)

But you're right that she can come into heat again very soon.

Advantage (a topical flea treatment) can be used at 8 weeks old.  Capstar (a pill) can be given at four weeks old.  I doubt you want to go that route.  Pilling a cat can be an extremely daunting task for the inexperienced.  There are other products that can't be used until 12 weeks.  See this chart as a reference.  I recommend avoiding Frontline and Frontline Plus.  There are many, many anecdotal reports that it no longer works in some areas of the country, and Florida is definitely one of those areas.  Also avoid any flea preventative made by Hartz or Sergeant's.  There have been many, many deaths reported from the use of those products.

Flea/tick treatments for that many animals is going to be quite expensive.  As will spaying/neutering and getting just the basic shots at a low cost clinic.

In addition to basic medical care and food, pets need love and attention.  Contrary to the stereotype of cats as aloof, independent animals, most are not.  Most of them enjoy and crave human attention and affection.

The boys have told Grandma all about their not-pets and she thinks that I should just fix the pack of them and let them continue to live in the yard until they wander off on their own. Is this feasible? This cat has lived in the neighborhood for months and survived without us feeding her.

I haven't said anything to the boys at all about keeping them because I really could live and die without ever owning a pet, but Buddy is so very, very, very attached. My parental guilt is dangerously high. I honestly don't care much about the cats one way or another. I wish she hadn't brought them here, but if it were just me I'd happily ignore their existence and let sleeping cats lie so to speak.

Unfortunately, I'm all tied up in this mess because the boys love the cats and I love the boys.

I am going to look into having the mom cat trapped, fixed and released because I have to admit that I like the idea of her keeping snakes and other less desirable populations down. If I do, will she still be able to care for/clean/nurse her current litter? I'm worried because the mom-cat seemed okay with the boys playing with and handling her kittens. I can't imagine a mother cat thinking this is okay.

I'm going to sleep on this and call a vet tomorrow but I'd also like to know what it is I'm even supposed to be sleeping on.

I'm glad you're having a change of heart.  ;)  Pets are so good for kids and having outdoor cats seems ideal for your situation.

That said, trapping and keeping mama sounds terrific.  Yes, get her fixed NOW or she will get pregnant again.  Her kittens are old enough to live without her for a little bit if they are walking well, etc.  You might need to feed them a little while she's gone (ask when you're getting her fixed).

I don't suggest keeping all the kittens.  Pick two.  I always suggest keeping kittens in pairs as they're loads of fun watching them play together and they seem to enjoy each others company.  Find homes for the others if you can.  Cats are territorial, so having 3 cats (mama + two kittens) outside ought to keep other cats off your property - and yes - they are GREAT for pest control.  There's a reason farms have cats...  Having just three will also keep your costs more manageable.

Cats do not need to come indoors - many won't want to anyway.

Our vet suggests buying cheap food to offer them in case the hunting isn't good.  Cheap food doesn't taste as good and encourages them to hunt, but they will eat it rather than starve.  I would not leave the food outside or you'll attract other critters.  Just let the boys offer it a couple times a day.  Since mama's been doing well with nothing, you can even hold off on this until/unless you see a need.  In FL she could easily be getting enough from other sources.

I would keep shots up.  I don't like "sickness" around.  Ask the vet or low cost shots folks as to what is recommended for your area.

We keep ours on flea drops - currently Advantage 2 - but we rotate for best flea riddance.  Frontline Plus doesn't work here anymore, so skip that one if you hear the same about your area.

It sounds like mama cat's been doing well with "nothing," so if you get her fixed (and shots/flea treatment) and let the boys tame the kittens, then find 3 of the kittens other homes, you're pretty much all set. I'd get the kittens fixed around 4 months if your vet will do it then.

ps  My hubby hated cats, but I made getting two of them a condition of saying yes to getting married.  Naturally, he relented.  Now he loves cats.  Ours go indoors and outdoors and have an ideal cat's life.  It didn't take long at all for our first two to "convert" hubby.  Cats can do that... ;)

If it was me, I would contact my local shelter and have all the cats taken in to be evaluated; if I wanted to keep one it would be the mom, but be prepared that if you say you want any of them they will likely ask you to pay for whatever medical treatment is done.  Here they will spay/neuter and evaluate the cat for free, but only if you sign the cat over to them and they may or may not release him/her back to your  outdoor area -- it is their call to make.

We have a lot of feral cats in our neighborhood; they pretty much never warm up to people.  I have a hard time thinking of your cat as feral, and she lets your kids be around her kittens; every feral cat I have seen -- which is a lot -- the females will run almost as soon as they see you notice them, and they train their kittens to be the same.  The toms will stand and stare you down, lol, but the female cats will almost always run and hide, or just hide if they can get out of your line of sight.

We have a feral kitty outside that we've been feeding now for many months, and she will just now allow you to get about six feet away from her, and even with that she is crouched and ready to run.  My local animal shelter conducts a trap-neuter-release program, I have already contacted them about coming out to catch her (although I think she's already had a batch of kittens).  They will trap the cat and take her in to be evaluated -- here you have to sign a release form basically signing the cat over to them and they will do whatever they deem fit.  Ideally they want to fix them and then place them back where they were, but if the cat is ill at all (and you can't always tell just by looking at them) it will be euthanized; and feral kittens that are older kittens I believe are also euthanized, as it is a lot of work and not even always possible to tame them -- there are a lot of tame kittens already, the shelters here are full.  I assume it isn't completely different in the US in that regard.

Last summer we had a feral cat and her two kittens take up residence in our ceiling -- there is an opening up on our roof and they climbed in and got into the central ac system, we had mewling and little paws poking down from the ceiling vents (we don't use the central AC).  I called the shelter and they came out and set traps, caught all three, and after evaluating determined that the cat was not a good candidate for the TNR program, and the kittens were too old to be easily domesticated, so unfortunately they all had to be euthanized.  I am telling you that because once you involve a shelter -- and I completely am of the opinion you should -- the decision as to what happens to the cat and kittens will be out of your hands unless you say you want them and pay for whatever treatment is needed.  My kids were old enough to understand, but obviously we were all saddened by the necessity of it.

Is there a spay/neuter and release program in your area for feral cats? That's who I'd contact before the SPCA, if so. Call the vets in your area to see if they know of anyone doing this. they usually trap, spay the mom and release her when the kittens are old enough and find good homes for the kittens and spay/neuter them when they are old enough, for a modest donation. At leat that's how our local one is run.