Menu

What is "non-optional" for you?

I see so many of us posting in curriculum/grade threads... "Following his/her interest..."'is there anything (I'm not talking reading/math/writing and even religion if it applies to your family) that you are insistent that your children learn? Topic areas not considered standard that are nonnegotiable to you? I never learned much about US history, so, while I'm not shoving it down their throats, it's on my radar been opinion the elementary years. Scientific inquiry is also only list as a science chic, but their isn't a specific content area here, just curiosity and common sense.

I see so many of us posting in curriculum/grade threads... "Following his/her interest..."'is there anything (I'm not talking reading/math/writing and even religion if it applies to your family) that you are insistent that your children learn? Topic areas not considered standard that are nonnegotiable to you? I never learned much about US history, so, while I'm not shoving it down their throats, it's on my radar been opinion the elementary years. Scientific inquiry is also only list as a science chic, but their isn't a specific content area here, just curiosity and common sense.

When I had dc at home:

Children will learn to read.

They will learn cursive and use it for everything.

While following my dc's interests, I will be sure that history will be involved. Ditto science, although with no specific plan, only that the dc *like* science, so that when they get to where it is mandatory, they will think, "Oh, yay--science!" instead of "Bummer...science."

Academic skills are not negotiable for us.  So learning to read, advancing your reading skills through practice, learning to write, learning to write longer and more complex things over time, and learning math up through at least algebra II eventually.

Learning critical thinking is also non-negotiable to me.  But...  there's not something specific associated with it.

Life skills are non-negotiable.  You must eventually learn to do your laundry and cook.  You need to know how to take public transit, fix things, etc.

Academic content is pretty negotiable.  I have a vision, we follow as long as the kids are happy (or happyish) with it.  Continuing to learn some content is non-negotiable, but what the content is within that...  meh.  I'm open.  Not very classical of me, I know.

ETA: Yeah, and doing something active pretty much every day.

In addition to 3 Rs:

Critical Thinking; an appreciation for and understanding of the environment; physical exercise; something in some arts area, widely understood (visual, theater, dance, etc.) doing, or appreciation, or both; history and related fields--I hate the word social studies, but maybe it is apt; science, including health and nutrition, which tend to get dissed, but they are more important to understand than what an allegory is, or what noteworthy events happened in 1066.

ETA: Life Skills.

1. Formal Logic

We used the Martin Cothran series from Memoria Press.

2. US History and Government

This includes The Federalist Papers, the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, and writings of The Founders.

Can you tell me what logic looks like for you? When did you start? I keep thinking we "do" logic every day, but maybe I am missing something.

math

I said not math!

When I had dc at home:

Children will learn to read.

They will learn cursive and use it for everything.

While following my dc's interests, I will be sure that history will be involved. Ditto science, although with no specific plan, only that the dc *like* science, so that when they get to where it is mandatory, they will think, "Oh, yay--science!" instead of "Bummer...science."

I love the science intent. Tell me more about cursive. I "force" it on my oldest (9)'right now, but hd and I go back and forth about it.

Logic and critical thinking is a must for us.

Can you,elaborate? What dies this look/act/feel like for your family?

Spanish

and nature study ---> ecology

Is Spanish the next most common language in Your area? When did you start? Do you mean "real" ecology? Or more observation/processes? Again, when did you start and what did this look like for you?

our non-negotiable is some sort of physical activity...swimming, ballet...even just laps around the block ...physical activity must happen every day... I would even skip a "3R" to get it in...

Yes, if we don't get our wiggles out, everything,else is usually pointless.

Academic skills are not negotiable for us. So learning to read, advancing your reading skills through practice, learning to write, learning to write longer and more complex things over time, and learning math up through at least algebra II eventually.

Learning critical thinking is also non-negotiable to me. But... there's not something specific associated with it.

Life skills are non-negotiable. You must eventually learn to do your laundry and cook. You need to know how to take public transit, fix things, etc.

Academic content is pretty negotiable. I have a vision, we follow as long as the kids are happy (or happyish) with it. Continuing to learn some content is non-negotiable, but what the content is within that... meh. I'm open. Not very classical of me, I know.

ETA: Yeah, and doing something active pretty much every day.

Yes, the life skills. People are always shocked to hear my kids "do" their own laundry. Even the 4 year old.

In addition to 3 Rs:

Critical Thinking; an appreciation for and understanding of the environment; physical exercise; something in some arts area, widely understood (visual, theater, dance, etc.) doing, or appreciation, or both; history and related fields--I hate the word social studies, but maybe it is apt; science, including health and nutrition, which tend to get dissed, but they are more important to understand than what an allegory is, or what noteworthy events happened in 1066.

Critical thinking comes up again! Tell me more what it looks like for you.

American history, Spanish

Same question, why Spanish and when?

Oh darn..you said you aren't talking math.

Ok...how about "difficult math".

Haha you caught yourself! What is difficult to you? Algebra? Calculus?

Foreign language, foreign travel, math, reading.

Foreign travel? In the elementary years it is nonnegotiable that your children travel abroad?

Chinese because it is my family's culture heritage

Play at least one musical instrument for enjoyment because it is a useful de-stressor.

Music theory, Art and PE are standards

And if you have a child that has a great disdain for music, or is musically "challenged?"

Good posture and ergonomics, and not just at the computer (though especially there).

I have learned the hard way the painful results of a poor ergonomic set-up, careless (meant to be "carefree") posture, long hours at a computer (7.5 hours per - hour work day), lack of range of visual focus, or combinations of the above.

Interaction with computers and electronics pervades our daily lives, and has become a major necessity in college and most work places (even if we limit our kids' exposure while they are minors). Good ergonomics and awareness of repetitive motion problems (and knowledge of problems like deep vein thrombosis -- yes, you can get it from sitting too long at home, too) is just as vital, IMO, as knowing about basic hygiene, a decent diet, and how to cross the street safely.

In addition to the 3 R's and history, music (starting with piano, they may move on to other instruments) and foreign language at the elementary level. FL will continue through High School, but music is negotiable once they've had a few years if they really insist on giving it up.

Foreign travel is also important to us, but I don't really consider it a school non-negotiable. One of the reasons we choose to homeschool is to make travel possible, and I believe it is an enriching experience for the kids as well, so of course we bring them along.

Computer skills like typing, internet queries, etc? Or something more?

Our kids have already taken keyboarding courses (and rock the number pad!) and  will be taking a formal Microsoft Word and Excel tutorial this summer, as well.  We'll be using the Techno Kids software for Excel.  It's cool because they create fun kid projects like a game, word search puzzle, and mad libs.  I'm excited about the mad libs thing and am going to have them put more grammar categories than the typical nouns, verbs, and adjectives for parts of speech practice.   :closedeyes:   DH is in the tech field and they also dabble in Auto-Cad and similar programs.

Our non-negotiable is an Outdoor Hour focused on exercise and nature study.  We do this almost every day, and it usually involves some sort of sport, rollerblading, bicycling, skateboarding, scooting, hunting (or shooting a bow or rifle for practice) or fishing.  We also like to hike and mountain climb.  Well, my husband does the mountain climbing with the children.  I watch the baby. :p

Fluency in a foreign language is our also non-optional.  My husband speaks Spanish very well (he's not native though) and lived in Mexico before we met in order to fine tune his skills.  He wants to take our family to Mexico to live  for a year or so (his job is something that he can do anywhere with internet availability) that our children can have the cultural experience and further language studies.  It hasn't been the right time before, but it is something we have started talking seriously about recently.  It may happen next spring.  

Well, I've been around the block of my special needs kid enough times to know that I can't control as much as I'd like. So I don't think of things as non-optional exactly. But, outside of competent written and spoken communication, ability to read for information, and math:

I really want both my kids to keyboard well.

I want them to be able to think critically. How do you do this? I don't know yet!

I want them to find a passion and life, and all the better if they can make a decent living related to that passion. Part of my goal now is that they retain their enjoyment in life and ability to be enthusiastic. But, larger and particularly as they get older, I hope to guide them to find a career that fits.

And if you have a child that has a great disdain for music, or is musically "challenged?"

It is for enjoyment so even a musically challenged person could enjoy music even if others may not enjoy the music he/she produce.

The odds of a child in my extended family with a disdain for music is really low probability speaking :lol: If I have a future grand niece or grand nephew that has a disdain for music, then my extended family would just accept it as it is. (My dad is the youngest and some nephews are older than me.)

ETA:

I have a fail grade for PE due to motor skills deficiency but I still have fun during PE in B&M schools.

Can you tell me what logic looks like for you? When did you start? I keep thinking we "do" logic every day, but maybe I am missing something.

I said not math!

I love the science intent. Tell me more about cursive. I "force" it on my oldest (9)'right now, but hd and I go back and forth about it.

Can you,elaborate? What dies this look/act/feel like for your family?

Is Spanish the next most common language in Your area? When did you start? Do you mean "real" ecology? Or more observation/processes? Again, when did you start and what did this look like for you?

Yes, if we don't get our wiggles out, everything,else is usually pointless.

Yes, the life skills. People are always shocked to hear my kids "do" their own laundry. Even the 4 year old.

Critical thinking comes up again! Tell me more what it looks like for you.

Same question, why Spanish and when?

Haha you caught yourself! What is difficult to you? Algebra? Calculus?

Foreign travel? In the elementary years it is nonnegotiable that your children travel abroad?

I can't speak for the OP, but it is for our family.  Well,  for my husband at least!   I totally on board because I know that fluency in a language (especially Spanish)  will be a huge asset to our children in the job market.

Literature.

When I was in public school there was very little real literature.  In elementary I assume the school library owned The Wind in the Willows and Peter Pan and other "real" books, but they were certainly never read to us or mentioned.  Not one of my elementary or middle school teachers ever suggested that maybe we should try Number the Stars or Little House in the Big Woods instead of a steady diet of Goosebumps and Babysitters' Club.  In high school we were lucky if we read one novel in class each semester, and since 95% of the students did not actually read those books, class discussions were pretty dismal.

I don't particularly care what literature my children read, but reading real, classic books is non-negotiable.

Wendy

Our major non-negotiable beyond the three-R's is science. We will raise scientifically literate adults. Critical thinking and logic skills are a natural spin-off from truly studying the sciences.

The second non-negotiable is a foreign language. They get to pick the language, but they have to learn one. Eldest is learning Chinese and excelling at it, youngest picked Latin because it's the "language of science," but we're going to encourage him to choose a living language in the next couple of years.At one point he wanted Russian because of his space goals and the ISS partnership, but with the way politics are going he might change his mind in a few years.

Everything else is pretty much tailored to the child and their strengths/desires.

Logic, critical thinking, speech/elocution, debate (defending a position), and personal advocacy. Basically this could all be rolled up into one subject titled How to Not Take Crap from People. LOL

Also, yes to life skills and reading outside of school. I prefer for them to read widely, but ultimately I just want them to identify as readers.

Literature.

When I was in public school there was very little real literature. In elementary I assume the school library owned The Wind in the Willows and Peter Pan and other "real" books, but they were certainly never read to us or mentioned. Not one of my elementary or middle school teachers ever suggested that maybe we should try Number the Stars or Little House in the Big Woods instead of a steady diet of Goosebumps and Babysitters' Club. In high school we were lucky if we read one novel in class each semester, and since 95% of the students did not actually read those books, class discussions were pretty dismal.

I don't particularly care what literature my children read, but reading real, classic books is non-negotiable.

Wendy

In junior high I had an English teacher who started every class reading aloud one chapter from a book. She chose the first book of the school year, but took suggestions from the kids for the remaining books. The one rule: you weren't allowed to ask for something you had already read. That was the year I was introduced to Jack London's books.

Survival skills.  We aren't hardcore peppers and we aren't building a bunker, but since we live in a hurricane zone and also believe that another viral outbreak along the lines of the Spanish flu are likely we prepare.  For our kids that begins with scouts, but we expand it to include other things and more in depth.  We don't live in fear or paranoia but we teach the kids about potable water and purification.  Canning and curing food stores.  Cooking in primitive conditions.  Gardening, fishing and hunting.  Hopefully we will never have an emergency, but the skills are still useful.  

Reading (this would include comprehension practice and continued development of their reading abilities)

computer skills (typing, basic coding, and using the computer for studying)

Language studies (right now we are focusing on Hebrew. I push language because language of any sort is a struggle for my oldest and it's really stretched him to study. We do it slow though)

Life skills (All my kids will know how to do some basic cooking, cleaning, their own laundry, and keep a garden and some animals. They will all also have first aid and know basic wilderness survival)

Music (They will learn to play an instrement. I firmly believe that all kids can develop some musical ability and it has been shown to have awesome affects on the brain. They all play piano right now.     Music theory is part of this as well)

Sports and PE (They NEED movement. I don't push organized sports but I encourage it and I do require it at home. I use it to teach them to work together and to help them develop coordination. Riding also falls into this category here too. My youngest two like to ride. My youngest ds HAS to move lots in the day otherwise he won't focus on anything else)

I require some steady science and history/geography, but it's not a focus, just something that is not allowed to be pushed off the plate completely. I will cut it back substantially to make room for others in the other groups though.

In junior high I had an English teacher who started every class reading aloud one chapter from a book. She chose the first book of the school year, but took suggestions from the kids for the remaining books. The one rule: you weren't allowed to ask for something you had already read. That was the year I was introduced to Jack London's books.

We do this in our home!  I pick the first read aloud and each of my children pick one for the year from a huge list of literature I've compiled. 

We've done different things over the years as the kids get older.

Deductive Thinking Skills/ Mind Benders from Critical Thinking Co.

Analogies from Critical Thinking Co.

the logic series by Bonnie Risby

Zendo (Inductive Logic game-google it.)

Traditional Logic 1&2, Material Logic and Rhetoric (with Aristotle) by Cothran

I mentioned Spanish because it is the first (and in some cases, only) language of many, many people in our community.  

I forgot to mention in my other post: performing arts - at least some exposure to dance, music, and/or acting.  We've actually already covered this in spades.  Older DD likes to dance for fun but not perform.  Younger DD has never met an audience she didn't love, so if the activity will get her onto a stage she's in like flint.  Also,  formal study of visual art is mandatory - how to do art, not just art appreciation. 

Creativity is a powerful tool to have in one's toolbox.  Both performing and visual arts foster this in spades.   I'm genuinely sad that in many b&m schools these are the areas that are the first to go when they have to cut cost.  

Read Alouds....kids must sit and listen to me read whether they like it or not LOL.... luckily most of the time they like it.

I'm either pretty slack or totally carefree because the only other non- negotiable is you must learn to read and have writing skills. Other then that ...I care not.

We only do math consistently because other people say it's important ...however beyond basics I also care not. I do it it because I'm supposed to ...not because I think it has more value over any other subject.

Any child who does not have a specific disability can learn to play the recorder and read music.  When I was a child, our whole class learned to play the recorder together.  

And if it's non-negotiable for your family, then 'disdain' doesn't come into the calculation.  One of my children disdains maths....

L

Music - all my kids will play piano. Branching out to other instruments later would be optional, but piano is not. 

(FWIW, I believe that any person can learn to play an instrument and enjoy it at some level, just like any person can learn to read and write. Music is not just for prodigies)

Poetry - absolutely essential

Foreign language(s) 

Cursive is how English has been written for hundreds of years (and is still written in other English-speaking countries). I see no reason to toss it out the window because public schools, which have become our models, are doing such a bad job at educating our children and in their wisdom have decided not to give children as many tools as possible for literacy.

Piano

Orchestra/band instrument

Latin

French

Hebrew (and Hebrew school)

Cursive (the beautiful loopy kind)

Ballet (DDs)

Tennis

Poetry (with memorization)

Attending Classical performances 2-3/yr. (opera, ballet, etc)

Cooking / cleaning   :D

Besides the obvious things-math and reading, reading, reading-I would say Latin and music. We're also cursive people. My favorite reason for cursive is that it's beautiful. Our public education system has lost the cultivation of beauty in favor of the seemingly practical. If they don't think it will get you a job, it's dropped.

Life and social skills

Music-be able to sing, play an instrument, and have an understanding of where it comes from. Can sight sing/read and play well enough to participate in social groups, such as church choirs/community band/orchestra as an adult and have it be an enjoyable experience both for DC and for everyone around them.

Logic, although we consider this part of math

A strong understanding of human behavior, ascertained through study of history, philosophy and religion.

Scientific understanding and inquiry

The ability to think critically and to judge the quality of sources

Good research skills

Handwriting-I have motor skills issues and really struggled to learn to write, but the ability to write short, clear, legible notes, to fill out forms and sign my own name, and so on is something that I don't take for granted. I see so many parents not encouraging children to learn to write efficiently and well, and it scares me. For me, that means cursive, not because it's pretty or part of the American tradition, but because it's simply physically easier to meet the writing goals I feel are important (like being able to take notes real-time in a lecture and read them later) in cursive.

The ability to present your ideas, verbally, in a variety of settings and levels of formality, in a way that is effective and appropriate.

Mine would be: Latin, Greek , and Spanish. A musical instrument, logic, and world history. I feel that I lack a lot of world history and geography knowledge which makes me feel uneducated and insecure. I don't want that for them. I also want them to read The Greats Books list even if it's not the originals.

The ability to read music.

Reading/writing clearly and fluently.

Scientific literacy.

Critical thinking skills

Canadian history and politics will be absolutely non-negotiable as they get older. Particularly as pertains to First Nations peoples. This is something that is sorely lacking in our ps system and one of many reasons I pulled my kids from school.

Literature

History

Science/Scientific Thinking

Foreign Language

Critical Thinking/Logic

Public-speaking

Independence - which for us would include basic life skills as well as the capacity to go away to camp for 3 wks by 12-ish and to live completely independently by 18 (not just living on their own but managing their own money, budget, decisions, etc.)

Latin roots. I won't make learning the full language a hill to die on, but all my children must at minimum learn the roots (yes, I'm looking at YOU, oldest DD!)

The ability to read music. Being able to play an instrument is a "nice-to-have" skill IMHO, but reading music is a "must-have".

Cursive. Doesn't have to be a pretty font, but it does have to be legible.

Basic knowledge of U.S. and world history, geography, and U.S. civics.

Basic understanding of personal finance.

Ability to swim.