Menu

The catch-all Ask A __ thread (for fun)

SKL

I ain't worth a whole thread but I am feeling so left out.  Surely I can't be alone.  So here are some that come to mind for me.  What are yours?

Ask a Walmart Shopper.

Ask a single adoptive mom.

Ask a family that doesn't match.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ain't worth a whole thread but I am feeling so left out.  Surely I can't be alone.  So here are some that come to mind for me.  What are yours?

Ask a Walmart Shopper.

okay, I'll bite.

How hard was it to go through the approval process to become a single adoptive mom.   What aspect of being a SAM surprised you the most.

Okay, so what exactly is a family that doesn't match??  I'm still scratching my head over that one.

Ask a person whose parents died when she was still a child

Ask a person who's married to an American

oh my goodness.. .both your parents??!!  How awful.

Who did you go to live with afterwards and how was it decided? Did you get a say in who it would be (or could you change your mind as you grew older?)

I've toyed with the idea of doing an Ask a Single Mom by Choice thread, but don't know if there is any interest.

Ask a Mom who uses a Wheelchair {there are a couple of us here I know}

Ask a Low-Income Mom

Ask a Work at Home Mom

Ask a neat freak.

Ask a thin woman who gave birth four times and is over 40.

Ask a women who is secretary for dh's business.

Ask someone writing a book.

Ask an early riser.

Ask a 47-year old college freshman

Ask a 47 year old college freshman who is in the midst of a divorce

Ask a 47 year old college freshman who is in the midst of a divorce while trying to homeschool a high school student

Ask a 47 year old college freshman who is in the midst of a divorce while trying to homeschool a high school student and live on student loans and a summer job. 

Ask an insomniac

Ask a cancer survivor

me either...I live a very boring life.

Oh, my life's not boring - far from it.  I just don't fit into "average for any question" slots well.  We travel, but not "typically."  I work at our local public high school, but not in a "normal" way.  We live on a farm, but are not "normal" farmers.  We've been married for over 25 years, but people tell us all the time that our marriage isn't "normal" either.  My kids are terrific (according to all who know them), but they've inherited our "not so normal" genes and ways of doing things.

I could probably answer all sorts of questions, but anyone else doing similar things would look at the answers, scratch their heads, and say "That's not what usually happens..."

We blaze our own path and I kind of like it that way.

Ask a bee-keeper, ask an aspiring fantasy writer, ask a mom of average kids...

Bee-keeper: i fantasize about keeping bees. I am afraid of them, though. I think it would be great to help avert the bee-death crisis. I have a garden and bees would make so much sense. I pay my friend $10 for nice honey. I'm afraid of bees, though!

Fantasy writer: do it! It's such an amazing time to be a writer! If you are not part of a writer's circle, try to find one or start one. My writer peeps are a source of so much info!

oh my goodness.. .both your parents??!! How awful.

Who did you go to live with afterwards and how was it decided? Did you get a say in who it would be (or could you change your mind as you grew older?)

I chose to live with my sister. I had three brothers older than we two. She was 8 years older than I. My siblings raised me because my mother lost work ability a few years before she died due to chronicle lung disease which eventually caused her death.

I have a questions for people whose mom died when they were in their late 20's to late 40's. How did it feel? I believe the grief is very different for a child from an adult who lost a parent.

Fellow writer: I'm not sure I'd fit in very well in a writer's circle, but I might try it sometime. I've been writing since I was about 14, and have a novel in progress right now that I've been playing with for several years.

About the bees-I would put not being afraid of bees as pretty high up on the list of qualities necessary to enjoy bee-keeping. I really thought I would be afraid, until we had a swarm on my front porch and I spent hours out there, feeding them, letting them crawl on me, under my glasses even and thought that is was simply the most amazing feeling ever to be in the middle of them. Time simply slows down in the middle of flying insects. You wouldn't think it, but it seems to.

Ask a Walmart Shopper.

I'd like to know what is "a family that doesn't match?"

okay, I'll bite.

How hard was it to go through the approval process to become a single adoptive mom.   What aspect of being a SAM surprised you the most.

Okay, so what exactly is a family that doesn't match??  I'm still scratching my head over that one.

I adopted internationally.  One of the reasons was because I did not want to have to compete with married couples to be chosen by a birth mother.  In the process I went through, I was treated just like a married couple - I had to go through a lot to meet the requirements, but so does everyone else.  And then I was placed on the waiting list and when my turn came, it was my turn.  :)  Of course the birth moms could have looked at my info and said no, but it's not the same as having to court birth moms as is done in the US.

What surprised me most?  Well, the fact that I was capable of being thoroughly exhausted without even leaving the house all day.  :P  It took a while to find my rhythm.  I was also surprised by how quickly one of my kids bonded to me, and how few of the "expected" issues my kids actually had.

What I meant by "doesn't match" is that my kids are a different race from me.

I adopted internationally.  One of the reasons was because I did not want to have to compete with married couples to be chosen by a birth mother.  In the process I went through, I was treated just like a married couple - I had to go through a lot to meet the requirements, but so does everyone else.  And then I was placed on the waiting list and when my turn came, it was my turn.  :)  Of course the birth moms could have looked at my info and said no, but it's not the same as having to court birth moms as is done in the US.

What surprised me most?  Well, the fact that I was capable of being thoroughly exhausted without even leaving the house all day.  :p  It took a while to find my rhythm.  I was also surprised by how quickly one of my kids bonded to me, and how few of the "expected" issues my kids actually had.

What I meant by "doesn't match" is that my kids are a different race from me.

Do you ever wish you had another adult coparenting with you? There were a few times when I was only too happy to have Dad step in and take kiddo for a while or play games with him while I could catch my breath. Were your girls newborns when they came to live with you?

What was that like, being a gestational surrogate?

How did you decide to do it?

What was it like...? It was rewarding, difficult, time consuming, different. It was many things! :)

I first thought of the idea when a friend from my Bible study group was having fertility issues. I researched it, and decided to offer to be a surrogate for her. The second time, it was another friend, who I had met through the first friend.

I actually thought about doing being a surrogate for, well, really my only friend who was having issues with getting and maintaining a pregnancy. I carried my twins to term, but it was a really rough delivery for me, and my DH and I pretty much decided that I wasn't going to have any more children. I never did offer, and she just had her baby! Very rough delivery for her, though.

Never did talk to the DH about it, but...it was really different, just thinking about doing that for somebody I really cared about.

Ask a person with a messy house who just doesn't notice dirt until she's frantically cleaning for company and then gets overwhelmed and becomes bitchy.

That was so sweet of you to start a topic I could answer with complete authority. :D

Let's see...

Ask a wife of a public school teacher (social studies, special ed literature this year)

Ask a middle of 3 girls

Ask an aunt of a special needs nephew (epilepsy due to immunization shot)

Ask a Christian college graduate

Ask a mom of 2 kids, 6 years apart

Ask a wife of a participant in a Ray Vanderlaan trip to Israel

Ask an Awana Commander (not a ton of experience, though!)

You know I have thoroughly enjoyed all the ask a threads, including this one yet still can't think of any that pertain to me lol But it is fun to learn so much about others.

Maybe you could just make something up. It might be hard to top a few of the current threads, but it might be fun to try.

You know I have thoroughly enjoyed all the ask a threads, including this one yet still can't think of any that pertain to me lol But it is fun to learn so much about others.

I was thinking about putting up a thread about that. The "Ask a..." Threads are absolutely fascinating to me! I have always enjoyed trying to understand people who have lives very different from mine. Reading those threads, and sometimes asking questions, really scratches that itch for me!

Do you ever wish you had another adult coparenting with you? There were a few times when I was only too happy to have Dad step in and take kiddo for a while or play games with him while I could catch my breath. Were your girls newborns when they came to live with you?

Only on rare occasions I thought, it would be nice to have someone backing me up here!  Like when I was almost too sick to get out of bed, but needed to go shopping for milk (with 2 non-walking babies in tow, on a rainy night) because kids gotta eat.  But I learned some tricks so that those moments were few and far between.  And I remind myself that I save a lot of trouble by not having to negotiate with another adult about parenting decisions.

There are times when I wish I didn't have to constantly balance being the "fun parent" and the "strict parent."  But on the other hand, it's probably more fun than being the "strict parent" all the time.

My girls' ages were 9mos and 12mos when they came home.  (They both came into my custody at the same time.)

I chose to live with my sister. I had three brothers older than we two. She was 8 years older than I. My siblings raised me because my mother lost work ability a few years before she died due to chronicle lung disease which eventually caused her death.

I have a questions for people whose mom died when they were in their late 20's to late 40's. How did it feel? I believe the grief is very different for a child from an adult who lost a parent.

My mom just died in February. It has been very, very difficult. I'm fine most of the time, but it can hit me hard. I cried in the car today because of a song on the radio. I watched Call the Midwife with dd, and a mom was dying on it. I broke down. There are so many events coming with the kids growing up, and I know they are going to be bittersweet because she won't be there. I'm afraid I'll never be quite the same again. 

I have a friend whose parents died when she was 28 and 29, and she thinks it would actually be harder now than it was then. 

My mom just died in February. It has been very, very difficult. I'm fine most of the time, but it can hit me hard. I cried in the car today because of a song on the radio. I watched Call the Midwife with dd, and a mom was dying on it. I broke down. There are so many events coming with the kids growing up, and I know they are going to be bittersweet because she won't be there. I'm afraid I'll never be quite the same again.

I have a friend whose parents died when she was 28 and 29, and she thinks it would actually be harder now than it was then.

I cried for months and years. But it has been 31 years. I didn't share a long life with my mother anyway. My sister died 14 years ago. I miss her very very much because I shared life with her much longer. It is such a pity that she didn't get to see my boys.

I believe that the longer you share life with your mom, the more you would miss her when she's gone. You have more memory built in those years. I was a child when my mother died, so my memory of her is one of a child of a very sick, immobile mother. In fact, I took care of her in the last few years by cooking meals, shopping, and washing clothes for her. I even put her to bed before I could sleep by giving her back massage to help her relax and relieve pain.

Ask a 47-year old college freshman

Ask a 47 year old college freshman who is in the midst of a divorce

Ask a 47 year old college freshman who is in the midst of a divorce while trying to homeschool a high school student

Ask a 47 year old college freshman who is in the midst of a divorce while trying to homeschool a high school student and live on student loans and a summer job. 

Ask an insomniac

Ask a cancer survivor

Gosh, sorry. You've been thru a lot, Dear One.