Menu

Which movie scenes do you cry at even though...

MissKNG

My dh refuses to watch this movie with me because of all the crying that goes on. When my first DVD wore out I asked for the Special Edition version for my birthday and he pretended not to hear me. Fortunately one of my girlfriends gave it to me. So I was watching all the features and they had an interview with Robert Harling about the making of the play and then the movie. And I basically cried my way through that. Dh came in and said, "Isn't that movie done, yet?!" and I had to tell him I hadn't even started the movie - this was just an interview with the writer.

The first movie I remember crying through [in a theater - watching "Lassie" and "Benji" at home doesn't count] was "ET". I saw a screening at Universal and pretty much everyone in the theater worked in "The Industry" so we're talking pretty jaded people. Many were crying through the death scene. But everyone around me was sobbing their way through "I'll. Be. Right. Here." There's something about the music in that particular that really gets to the heart of the matter and, for me, it's that way with many movies. Add in a wonderful, touching soundtrack to an already emotional scene, and I'm done. :crying:

Your DH pretended not to hear you. Lol. I didn't know it was based on a true story. I was holding my mother's hand when she died, and she had Diabetes and many of its complications, so, yeah, pretty much the entire movie would get me. I haven't watched it since Mom died, but enough scenes are etched in my brain that simply recalling them brings instant tears. Still, the special features intrigue me.

The first time I remember crying in a theater was when a lady who was older than my mother and who babysat me from time to time took me to see Charlotte's Web. I cried when Charlotte died, and this woman laughed at me. And she had children!

For the record, I am now probably the age that woman was then, and I would never laugh at a child like that. Also, I can't read that part of Charlotte's Web without crying even now. 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I confess, many of these movies I have not seen, some I haven't even heard of.

the opening scene in up is a classic, and so sweet.  

the scene in last episode of mash (so long, farewell, and goodbye) where hawkeye is talking with sydney after his nervous breakdown and finally recounts that is wasn't a clucking chicken the woman smothered on the bus (while they were hiding from the north koreans).  I had a one month old baby at the time . . .  I still can't watch that scene.

The scene in an earlier episode of MASH when Radar announces to everyone while in surgery that Col. Blake had died on his way home from the war.  Sob City.

At the ending of Places in the Heart where they are passing around communion and everyone is there, even people who have died *sob*

The ending of Ole Yellar ----- "He's my dog, Ma. I'll do it."

Not a movie, but I sobbed when Sybil died in Downton Abbey. Literally sobbed!

The ending of Ghost

Fiddler on the Roof - when he denies his youngest daughter and walks away from her

while she is calling "Papa!"

I think I've shared this story about the scene in Charlotte's Web in which she dies, but for anyone who hasn't read or heard it before:

Even White himself, when he recorded the audiobook in 1970, had trouble getting through that scene.
"He broke down — just as I did," recalled audiobook producer Joe Berk in a 1991 NPR interview. "We did 17 takes. ... We went on a short walk, and he turned to me, and he said, 'It's ridiculous: a grown man reading a book that he wrote, and being unable to read it aloud because of tears.'"

(Incidentally, I also cried while listening to this NPR story when I heard it several years ago.)

The scene in an earlier episode of MASH when Radar announces to everyone while in surgery that Col. Blake had died on his way home from the war.  Sob City.

Oh my gosh, YES!  That is one scene that is forever etched in my brain.

I think I've shared this story about the scene in Charlotte's Web in which she dies, but for anyone who hasn't read or heard it before:

Even White himself, when he recorded the audiobook in 1970, had trouble getting through that scene.

"He broke down — just as I did," recalled audiobook producer Joe Berk in a 1991 NPR interview. "We did 17 takes. ... We went on a short walk, and he turned to me, and he said, 'It's ridiculous: a grown man reading a book that he wrote, and being unable to read it aloud because of tears.'"

(Incidentally, I also cried while listening to this NPR story when I heard it several years ago.)

Thank you for this information. I had no idea that happened. It's a gift. :)

OMG, I remember that.  MASH comes on here every night at 7 and 7:30pm, and they recently started the series over, and I told James Bond that I'd have to leave the room when they air the episode where Henry dies.

The funeral scene, with the reading of 'Funeral Blues' in Four Weddings and a Funeral.

L

Oh, yes.   :crying:  :crying:  :crying:

Do we need a song spin off now? I CAN NOT listen to Sunrise Sunset without crying. I can't type the darn thing without getting choked up. 

James Bond has sung that at at least 4 weddings, and it always makes me cry.  Heck, I cry if he just sings it around the house.

Another big cryer for me is It's A Wonderful Life. My dh and I start in at the opening, when the stars are talking to each other about Clarence and George Bailey. It just goes on from there. When Mr. Gower hits him, when he sees the telegram, when Mary doesn't know him on the street and she screams, when I know Uncle Billy is about to lose the money...pretty much the whole movie. Funny-none of our kids has ever cried at that movie until after they were grown up-it's a particularly "adult" movie that way. Parenthood in particular deepened my feelings greatly for that movie.

A lot scenes in that movie make me tear up.  I especially feel for George when he's trying to hold it all together and not let anyone know what happened and he hugs his younger son (can't remember the name) so tight and his face is so full of emotion.  I've been there.  I can relate.

oh... ITs a wonderful life. Such a beautiful movie. I get started when all the prayers are going up for George at the beginning. I think it's because I wonder if all our prayers are actually like that in heaven..audible you know? What it would be like if everyone was praying for a hurting soul all at the same time?

Love the end when the whole town comes running in to help his friend. And when they open the book and the quote "No man is a failure who has friends/."  I just fall to pieces.

At the ending of Places in the Heart where they are passing around communion and everyone is there, even people who have died *sob*

I saw it again recently, same part got to me.  Funny, I don't remember it from when I saw the movie years ago.

It's too funny that you all are talking about Henry Blake. I own the first 3 seasons of M*A*S*H on dvd, the ones w/ the original cast. I started watching season 2 after I finished watching Broadchurch. Just needed something light and fun after that, kwim? So, I finished season 2 and went through 3, but stopped short of Abyssinia, Henry. I popped in season 1. 

Too sad! Radar about breaks my heart when he announces it. 

There are more, but the only other one that comes to mind, isn't a movie, but a Christmas cartoon, called Nester the Long-eared Donkey.  When themother freezes to death in the snow to keep Nester warm, I just lose it.  It got so bad that my mom quit letting me watch it when I was little.  We bought it on DVD a few years ago, and I *still* cry.

I was beginning to think I made this movie up. No one in my family ever knows what I am talking about when I mention Nestor.  Bawled my eyes out.

• 3 weeks later...

There are more, but the only other one that comes to mind, isn't a movie, but a Christmas cartoon, called Nester the Long-eared Donkey.  When themother freezes to death in the snow to keep Nester warm, I just lose it.  It got so bad that my mom quit letting me watch it when I was little.  We bought it on DVD a few years ago, and I *still* cry.

I was beginning to think I made this movie up. No one in my family ever knows what I am talking about when I mention Nestor.  Bawled my eyes out.

I just looked up one of my posts in this thread to link in another post, and I re-read this. I looked up that movie. Why, oh, why? Of course, I cried at that part too! I didn't watch the whole thing. I'm going to watch something funny now. 

*Kicking myself!*

I sob through the whole last part of Steel Magnolias, from the scene with Salky Fields walking down that hospital hallway until the very end . I love that movie.

Especially the part when the mom asks sil where's jack, then she drives there and he runs into her arms all smiling and toddling. Sniff

I was just thinking about this last night! I am not much of a crier, but these movies always make me cry.

1.When Matthew dies in Anne of Green Gables.

2.When the dad drives away and his little girl chases after the car crying in Hope Floats.

3. When the mom (played by Sally Fields) loses it after her daughter dies (Julie Roberts) in Steel Magnolias.

Field of Dreams- There is a scene where the guy who was a doctor and then gets to go back and become a ball player has to make a choice about stepping off the field and giving up this second chance at playing in the Major Leagues (ghost team or whatever that it is) or saving Kevin Costner's daughter who is choking on a hot dog. He steps off and saves her. Kevin Costner realizes that the guy has just given up his chance and can't "go back". 

Thinking about it, I cry at a lot of sports movies but I'm not that big of an actual sports fan.

I totally agree with both these posts!

I also cry at UP in multiple places.

In Cars the big race at the end always gets me choked up. So do scenes from Tears of the Sun, 28 Days, Because of Win-dixie, and Windtalkers.

High School Musical also makes me cry......just in a "please let this end" sort of way!

One that hasn't been mentioned: Apollo 13, at the end where they are all waiting to see if the astronauts survived re-entry - gosh, I am tearing up just thinking about it. Idk what it is, you *know* they are going to be ok, but every. single. time. I watch that movie I cry at that part.

"There are more, but the only other one that comes to mind, isn't a movie, but a Christmas cartoon, called Nester the Long-eared Donkey. When themother freezes to death in the snow to keep Nester warm, I just lose it. It got so bad that my mom quit letting me watch it when I was little. We bought it on DVD a few years ago, and I *still* cry."

Totally agree with this....Nester is the saddest show I have ever seen. I bought it last year, and dd and I watched it....both sobbing. Afterwards, she said, 'Mom, that was the worst thing I've ever seen. I can never watch that again.'

"There are more, but the only other one that comes to mind, isn't a movie, but a Christmas cartoon, called Nester the Long-eared Donkey. When themother freezes to death in the snow to keep Nester warm, I just lose it. It got so bad that my mom quit letting me watch it when I was little. We bought it on DVD a few years ago, and I *still* cry."

Totally agree with this....Nester is the saddest show I have ever seen. I bought it last year, and dd and I watched it....both sobbing. Afterwards, she said, 'Mom, that was the worst thing I've ever seen. I can never watch that again.'

Oh yes, that is awful.  Poor Nester crying "Mama?  Mama?"

Already mentioned:

Up hits my heart right away in the first eleven minutes.

There is a scene in Courageous that gets me where the father dances on the side of the road in memory of his daughter.

Finding Nemo is a very emotional movie for me. I am not kidding.

Many of the ones already listed but also:

Tous les matins du monde -- I start crying at the scene where M. St-Colombe goes into the little shack to play the song for his wife while Marin narrates.  By the end of that scene, I am ugly-crying and keep doing so through to the end.

Winnie-the-Pooh - when Christopher Robin leaves Pooh behind.  Bastard. I kept my Pooh.

I feel like a hard ass. Outside of Terms of Endearment, none of these make me cry. I do feel sad, but nope, no tears.

Braveheart, when William Wallace is tortured, made me tear up. I know since having my monkeys that I am more emotional, but can't tell you for the life of me what movie made me cry.

The last thing that really choked me up was the ending of Season 2 of Call the Midwife, but that's not a feature film...

I don't cry over and over at movies, but there are a few that got me the first time.

Evita, when they turn out the light in her window.

Up, in the beginning when the wife dies.

There was a bit in Inside Llewyn Davis where he is visiting his father in the nursing home, and his father just looks at him - the actor that played the father looked a bit like my dad, who died not too long ago.  That got me.

I don't know if it counts since it's not a movie, but the last few bits of Battlestar Galactica (I know, I know.)

The last thing that really choked me up was the ending of Season 2 of Call the Midwife, but that's not a feature film...

This is really weird, but I totally randomly saw that one episode of Call the Midwife while I was up late working one night (watching PBS), I think last August.  Never saw the show before or since (now I know why, as it was the end of the season), but it was excellent and indeed teary.

I don't even watch TV regularly, or own one, anymore!  That was one of probably 10 hours of TV I watched last year.

I agree. Almost anything can make me cry, and I cry both sad and happy tears depending on the scene. Also, I sometimes start before the scene because I know what's coming. Ds rolls his eyes. Mom's crying over a movie again. :)

lol, pretty much me too

but these in particular

PS I Love You, I pretty much sob through the whole thing even while laughing

Dobby's death in HP

Sam and Frodo's scene at Mount Doom, pretty much from when Sam carries him through til the Eagles save them.

The first time I remember crying in a theater was when a lady who was older than my mother and who babysat me from time to time took me to see Charlotte's Web. I cried when Charlotte died, and this woman laughed at me. And she had children!

For the record, I am now probably the age that woman was then, and I would never laugh at a child like that. Also, I can't read that part of Charlotte's Web without crying even now. 

Thank you for this information. I had no idea that happened. It's a gift. :)

I wrote to E.B. White's granddaughter about this. She graciously wrote me back. I feel vindicated. :) BTW, it takes great courage for a bumbling fool like me to write to an author!

Schindler's List, the whole ending.

The first time I saw it was in the theater.  The entire row ahead of us were Jewish and they recited the prayers with the movie and they were all crying at the end when they were laying the stones on the graves.  It was very moving.

Dawn

The first time I saw it was in the theater.  The entire row ahead of us were Jewish and they recited the prayers with the movie and they were all crying at the end when they were laying the stones on the graves.  It was very moving.

Dawn

Oh, my. I would have been a mess in that situation!

Dawn

I got choked up reading this.