Menu

Why I can never live in Australia

Mom in High Heels

In my personal experience they overstated snakes and crocs and understated spiders.

(although I still shudder to think of all the swimming I've done there and give prayers of thanks that I was never eaten, not even partially)

Honestly, as an aussie I am more concerned about the mammals than the crocs and spiders! The koalas that live in my in-laws BACKYARD will rip your face off if you were ever stupid enough to try touch one. I cracked up at the picture of the cassowary though. And they didn't even mention platypus? Ok, the chances of actually happening upon a platypus is rare, but my god, those things are the scariest critters we have! Unending nerve pain which painkillers can't touch?! for WEEKS?! I'd rather be bit by the funnel web and die quickly. Also, flying foxes were totally understated considering the Hendra Virus drama (or maybe I am just overly paranoid because it happened, like, in my local area and my sister was 'at risk' because of her work in the horse industry. Hendra virus is scary)

This video, I love it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNEeq5qGh8I

Seriously though. The aussies in the city don't have to worry about most of these things, except for maybe a few snake breeds and a few spider breeds, and even those aren't in the really built up areas. As for us 'country folk', when you grow up around all these things you learn how to be safe. I remember once telling some american friends how my friends and I, from about age 10 onwards, would go 'out bush' exploring and stuff. We learnt to stomp in high grass, and watch where we sat. The americans thought we were INSANE. And most of the animals aren't nearly as aggressive as people think. Oh, some definitely are. But among the 12 combined siblings in my family and DH family, all of whom grew up in rural queensland, none of us have ever been bitten by a spider (though one did almost get bit by a snake, that was a big deal because it was a brown :S But even then, brown snakes don't usually go for a killing bite first up)

You'd survive :) It's not that scary. And anyway, at least we don't have rabies! (my husband has an irrational, severe, fear of rabies)

ABBA12, I don't care. I'm not living there. I've always wanted to visit, but now I'm rethinking that.

I guarantee if you came for a visit ,it is very unlikely you'll see a single one of those things. Even Steve Irwin had to go out bush looking for them to find them.

Deaths from those sort of things are rather uncommon.

Canada has bears...I'm terrified of them and would rather camp out in Australia with the snakes then with the bears. A snake won't rip your tent apart while you sleep.

Most of those snakes were pythons, pretty harmless.

The animals on that list that I personally have on my property are red belly black snakes and tiger snakes ( in the top 15 most venomous snakes in the world), red back spiders, and fruit bats. I am more afraid of Huntsman spiders than red backs, and I like snakes. there re sharks in the water just down the cliff , but nobody has been bitten in this location

Yep, most of us live in cities and hang out with birds, dogs, cats. Pretty standard.

My niece attended an Australian university, married an Australian and became a permanent resident. They are in the city.
Hubby's aunts and uncles-in-law migrated to Perth and Melbourne. They are city folks too.

I've only been to Sdyney for work and my ex-colleagues always joke about sharks. They did complain about flooding and frozen pipes.
Some of my friends went to QUT and RMIT.

My friends kids take the UNSW test for elementary school kids. It is the ICAS

http://www.eaa.unsw.edu.au/icas/about

I think Australia's loveliness far outweighs the risks of a few creepy crawlies. Of course, I grew up in Oklahoma, land of poisonous snakes, spiders, scorpions, and massive, long-track tornadoes. :ack2:

Any tornadoes Down Under? Probably at least a few, since you have typhoons.

Canada has bears...I'm terrified of them and would rather camp out in Australia with the snakes then with the bears. A snake won't rip your tent apart while you sleep.

No, snakes just quietly slither into your tent and/or sleeping bag and bite. Then, depending on the type of snake, you may die within seconds or minutes.

I am betting if the United States created a video showing all the various creepy crawlies and potentially dangerous animals living in the U.S. and showed the worst of what they can do, it would scare a lot of people into not wanting to come to the U.S. either... :)  But as others have posted, watching a video like this isn't the whole picture and the chance of actually running into and having contact with any would be slim.  I agree with PPs, Australia is so beautiful and unique that the risks, to me, would far outweigh the potential dangers.  (But I admit that if Dad hadn't always adored Australia, and talked about Australia when I was growing up, then that video might have had me doubting any trips there :) ).

I have a lot of ranchers in our family.  They run into rattlesnakes, black widows, brown recluse, rabid dogs, etc.  But not very often, even on a ranch.  And they know how to deal with them.  Seems to me it would be about the same thing?  Just learn the land, understand how to avoid dangers, etc.

Interesting thread.  The responses have been educational.  I had no idea koalas could be violent.  When we lived on Guam I had tons of stuffed koala animals to play with and always loved koalas.  Glad I didn't get near one.  I probably would have hugged it enthusiastically.   :)

Well, I went hiking in Australia (NT, when my ship visited port at Darwin). The flies were the only unpleasant thing I saw. Our tour guide promised he'd marry you if you were bitten by a snake on his tour. (Then went on to tell us how the one person who had been bitten in the quite a few years he'd been leading tours did, in fact, go on to be his wife.)

The flies were the only really annoying thing.

There were warning signs to stay clear of the beach, because of crocs, but after living in Florida (with gator invested lakes), that didn't phase me.

I bow down to you Aussies, for your bravery. I am not woman enough to live there.

Things that would scare the beejeebers out of me.

Oh, shoot, I couldn't even get through the slides. I started fast forwarding when I got to the insects, and then som slimy thing popped up and I closed. I just crossed Australia off my list. But I do like the Aussie people who are here!

Ok. So you can live in the south here where we don't have pythons. The flies, I'm afraid, are everywhere and I have a millipede plague in my house at the moment, though not as bad as that photo. Actually, one just crawled down the front of my shirt while I was sitting here in bed and I think that's a bit familiar. According to one of my favourite hippy books, millipedes represent the Labyrinth, which I think means one must soldier on through life because that's how things are done. This is not the stupidest advice I've read in a hippy book.

Happily the flies and millipedes should die of cold in a month or two.

Giant earthworms are way cool. I mean, I'd freak out if I found one in my bed, but earthworms have better manners than snakes and don't do that. The one in the picture is a little one.

Uhm, just no. I die from fright of snakes. There was a 3 ft. something or other that would not have been poisonous out in the yard last summer and I made the boys dispose of it with a vengeance. I'd use a flamethrower and hand grenades on the lawn if it kept them away.

Can't do it. Too big of a wimp, and I'm willing to admit that openly! LOL

I think Australia's loveliness far outweighs the risks of a few creepy crawlies. Of course, I grew up in Oklahoma, land of poisonous snakes, spiders, scorpions, and massive, long-track tornadoes. :ack2:

Yep, we deal with all those lovely things here in Arkansas. :D

Ok. So you can live in the south here where we don't have pythons. The flies, I'm afraid, are everywhere and I have a millipede plague in my house at the moment, though not as bad as that photo. Actually, one just crawled down the front of my shirt while I was sitting here in bed and I think that's a bit familiar. According to one of my favourite hippy books, millipedes represent the Labyrinth, which I think means one must soldier on through life because that's how things are done. This is not the stupidest advice I've read in a hippy book.

Giant earthworms are way cool. I mean, I'd freak out if I found one in my bed, but earthworms have better manners than snakes and don't do that. The one in the picture is a little one.

Please tell me you are joking. :scared: and the giant earthworms make my skin crawl. Clearly, you are made of much sterner stuff than I.

SHUT UP!  How do you not lose your mind.  I'm all freaked out just thinking about it, and swear I can feel things crawling all over me.

I have to say all the tv show as Australia has the most deadly make the place seem dangerous. My sons grew up watching the shows and think living in Australia makes you a bada$$  I live in the southeast USA and my son just took a picture of a black widow spider on our house.   I've been bitten by a brown recluse  spider.   I've had water moccasin in my laundry pile.  I've shot a rabid coyote ( they tend to stay away from humans unless their sick)     I'm guessing that I could make Alabama a scary place LOL   We also have huge flying roaches and fire ants.   We also have tornadoes and hurricanes.

Well, thanks to idiots releasing them where they don't belong there are pythons and boa constrictors in the Everglades. They did find a dead python that tried to eat an alligator too. There are plenty of alligators all along the Gulf Coast and in Florida. There are multiple types of poisonous snakes native to my area and we had to have our neighbor shoot a rattlesnake less than 100 feet from our back steps so I really can't talk too much about other areas.

I am chuckling through this thread and gaining new insight into Australia (and other places), but in hindsight I'm not certain this is actually helping HighHeels feel better.  :)  May just be making her want to move to the moon... :lol:

How about it, Mom in High Heels?  Are you o.k.?  I don't get creeped out much, but that video really is a bit on the drastic side.  I hope you can sleep tonight.  :confused1:

One thing that my DD loves about Australia-the national attitude to their dangerous animals is very "live and let live". In the US, it's almost like any animal is assumed to be a threat until proven otherwise. In the Australian press, even articles on venomous species found near humans (in a house, having eaten a family pet, on a school playground...) always end with "The snake was released into an uninhabited area". In the US press, usually the snake ends up dead. 

You probably don't ever want to live in Florida either. Pretty much everything they said about crocodiles could be said about alligators here. They've been found in people's swimming pools, flooded streets, even knocking on the front door. And Walmart. There are giant pythons on the loose in parts of South Florida (though sadly that's because of irresponsible owners who let them go) and they eat alligators. Well, they try to eat them. Black bears roam suburban neighborhoods just north of Orlando. Barely a month goes by without hearing about a bear wandering around Longwood.

What else? We have those killer amoeba in our fresh water too. I'd never swim in a lake in summer, nor would I allow my son to do so. Also, encephalitis outbreaks are not uncommon during mosquito season. Shark attacks? Yeah, we have them. We live in the shark attack capital of the world. 

You can make any place sound terrifying if you try.

A friend of mine moved to the Center of Australia for a job.  He was having a hard time finding work, and had been happy when the job opened up.  After he accepted, he casually asked why it was open.  Previous had been camping and one of those three deadliest snakes bit him, he ran and it chased him down and continued to bite him.  The employee benefits for people at that site included a 24/7 critter removal service.  

Wait, platys are poisonous?  What about Perry the Platypus?  Say it ain't so!  BTW, that's the only phrase you will ever catch me using with the word 'ain't' in it.  Ack.

Seriously, there are reasons I don't go camping, and all of these are right up near the top.  That, and I like luxuries.  Indy will tell you flat out "My mom does not sleep outside."

Bears near Orlando?  No thanks.  I would never live in Florida anyway, because it's too freaking hot.  I do not like the heat.  We're going to WDW in JUNE.  It's going to be soooooo hot, but that's when my parents wanted to go, and they're flipping the bill, so June it is.  Blech.

Do you eat it as a very, very thin scraping on toast slathered with butter  ?

As a rule, I don't eat it if I can help it. When I had it at an International Food Fair an Aussie served it to me, on a piece of hard toast. There was no butter left by the time I tried some.

Seriously, I have seen people try to eat the stuff like it's Nutella.

Wow, I can't imagine taking it like that! Waaaaay to much for me!

A little goes a very long way :)

I hear you there! I had a little a few years ago and its still carrying me through (or warding me off) my desire for Australian food!

Please tell me you are joking. :scared: and the giant earthworms make my skin crawl. Clearly, you are made of much sterner stuff than I.

The millipedes are little and don't bite. Or if they do, I haven't noticed. I mean, I'd vastly rather a little millipede crawling down my shirt than a red back in my dunny.

And those giant earthworms are absolutely awesome, but I think they are limited to a fairly small area. I think they've found one outlier who was up to 8 metres long! But they live under ground of course so people rarely see them.

Only the male platypus have poison, but it doesn't matter because you're not going to try and grab him for a kiss.

I have a lot of reasons for not wanting to live in Australia at the moment, but board rules prevent me from mentioning them  :)

Pretty sure that rule only applies to the US. ;)

Only really gross people like my son eat Vegemite out of the jar. Thin scraping with lots of butter is the right and true path.

Honestly, as an aussie I am more concerned about the mammals than the crocs and spiders! The koalas that live in my in-laws BACKYARD will rip your face off if you were ever stupid enough to try touch one. I cracked up at the picture of the cassowary though. And they didn't even mention platypus? Ok, the chances of actually happening upon a platypus is rare, but my god, those things are the scariest critters we have! Unending nerve pain which painkillers can't touch?! for WEEKS?! I'd rather be bit by the funnel web and die quickly. Also, flying foxes were totally understated considering the Hendra Virus drama (or maybe I am just overly paranoid because it happened, like, in my local area and my sister was 'at risk' because of her work in the horse industry. Hendra virus is scary)

This video, I love it -

Seriously though. The aussies in the city don't have to worry about most of these things, except for maybe a few snake breeds and a few spider breeds, and even those aren't in the really built up areas. As for us 'country folk', when you grow up around all these things you learn how to be safe. I remember once telling some american friends how my friends and I, from about age 10 onwards, would go 'out bush' exploring and stuff. We learnt to stomp in high grass, and watch where we sat. The americans thought we were INSANE. And most of the animals aren't nearly as aggressive as people think. Oh, some definitely are. But among the 12 combined siblings in my family and DH family, all of whom grew up in rural queensland, none of us have ever been bitten by a spider (though one did almost get bit by a snake, that was a big deal because it was a brown :S But even then, brown snakes don't usually go for a killing bite first up)

You'd survive :) It's not that scary. And anyway, at least we don't have rabies! (my husband has an irrational, severe, fear of rabies)

And yet somehow, after this post I don't actually feel any better.

We only ever see a platypus at the zoo.

I have a lot of reasons for not wanting to live in Australia at the moment, but board rules prevent me from mentioning them :)

I have seen only 1 in in a very small creek about 60 km from where I live. My sons have seen quiet a few, but they(my sons) roam around in the bush all the time. Platypus are very hard to see, and extremely shy.

I have seen only 1 in in a very small creek about 60 km from where I live. My sons have seen quiet a few, but they(my sons) roam around in the bush all the time. Platypus are very hard to see, and extremely shy.

Lol! Until I reached the end of your post I thought you were talking about politicians.

UGH, the forums ate my post AGAIN

We have the giant earthworms on tambourine mountain, which is where my sister and grandparents live (I'm about 20 mins from the base myself). They are SO COOL. Only saw it once, crawling across the road, so we stopped and helped the poor thing to the other side.

Vegemite. Yes, generally you use it sparingly, though we do have cracker and dip packs for lunchboxes which have vegemite, I love those. I personally could eat it from the jar (after it's been opened a few days, I can't stand the taste of newly opened vegemite, it needs to 'air out' or something.). Here's an awesome diagram at the bottom of this page - http://blogs.acu.edu.au/international/13138/what-on-earth-is-vegemite/

As for the platypus, I'll just quote wikipedia

While both male and female platypuses are born with ankle spurs, only the male's spurs produce venom,[23][24][25] composed largely of defensin-like proteins (DLPs), three of which are unique to the platypus.[26] The DLPs are produced by the immune system of the platypus. Although powerful enough to kill smaller animals such as dogs, the venom is not lethal to humans, but the pain is so excruciating that the victim may be incapacitated.[26][27] Oedemarapidly develops around the wound and gradually spreads throughout the affected limb. Information obtained from case histories and anecdotal evidence indicates the pain develops into a long-lastinghyperalgesia (a heightened sensitivity to pain) that persists for days or even months.[28][29] Venom is produced in the crural glands of the male, which are kidney-shaped alveolar glands connected by a thin-walled duct to a calcaneus spur on each hind limb. The female platypus, in common with echidnas, has rudimentary spur buds which do not develop (dropping off before the end of their first year) and lack functional crural glands.[11]

The venom appears to have a different function from those produced by nonmammalian species; its effects are not life-threatening to humans, but nevertheless powerful enough to seriously impair the victim. Since only males produce venom and production rises during the breeding season, it may be used as an offensive weapon to assert dominance during this period.[26]

The millipedes are little and don't bite. Or if they do, I haven't noticed. I mean, I'd vastly rather a little millipede crawling down my shirt than a red back in my dunny.  Seriously, you're going to have give me an Aussie dictionary, because I don't know what those words mean!  Translation, please?

Only the male platypus have poison, but it doesn't matter because you're not going to try and grab him for a kiss. So Perry really is poisonous????  I've seen many members of the Flynn-Fletcher family kiss him.  I feel like my whole cartoon life is a lie.  

For the first time in my life I'm grateful to be living where I am. We have NO poisonous spiders. No poisonous snakes, nothing really like that. We have bears that really want nothing to do with us and avoid us as much as they can (no polar bears in our area, those things are grumpy). Even grizzlies would rather stay away. The only things that are a problem around here are things that are big enough for me to see coming. I've had to take out a few wolves in my time and we had to have someone come in for a cougar when I was a kid, but we were on the edge of crown land so we saw a little more of that.

It's easy to co-exist with moose, elk, and deer. Even the odd caribou, fox, and coyote wasn't a problem.

We don't even have rats up here.