Menu

What Grade Did you Teach Pre-Algebra / Algebra?

When the child is ready for it, but my hope is to be in algebra 1 by 7th to match the norm in my area for honors track kids and no later than 8th to match the standard college prep track. My state had algebra 1 in 8th as the standard and even with the transition to Common Core, I don't see my district changing their standard sequence. Maybe they won't have 75% of the kids taking algebra 1 before 9th like they currently do, but I don't expect that percentage to drop all that much.

DD has been using Singapore Discovering Math and that's an integrated program so some of the easier algebra 1 topics are in the 7th grade books and others in the 8th grade books. But because DD might need to enroll in a B&M school next fall (keeping our fingers crossed that won't be necessary), I'm currently in the process of switching her from DM 8A to EPGY Beginning Algebra (uses the Lial book). If she can finish that course by August, we should be able to enroll her in geometry. If not, she'll probably have to enroll in algebra 1 and the first part of that course will be a review.

Dd---a schooly prealgebra textbook during the second half of 5th grade (we both hated it)

AoPS PreAlgebra 6th grade (when the book was brand new)

AoPS Intro to Algebra ch 1-4 6th grade

AoPS Intro to Algebra ch 5-14 7th grade (concurrently with AoPS Intro to Counting and Probability)

(interrupted with AoPS online geometry class March-Sept ending 7th/beginning 8th grade)

AoPS Intro to Algebra ch 15-22 8th grade (considered to be part of algebra 2)

AoPS Intermediate Algebra currently in 8th grade (algebra 2/algebra 3)

My older kids took prealgebra in 7th and algebra 1 in 8th grade in private school.

#1 did pre-algebra in 7th and 8th, algebra 1 in 9th, then accelerated her math sequence by taking math at the community college in 11th and 12th and graduated with Calc 1.

#2 did pre-algebra in 7th, algebra 1 in 8th, geometry in 9th and algebra 2 in 10th. She'll take math at the community college next year.

#3 did AoPS pre-algebra in 5th (with the online classes), then AoPS Intro to Algebra in 6th.

Dd is doing pre-a in 6th/7th and will do algebra in 7th/8th.

Ds probably won't be ready until 8th or 9th grade.

I really dislike the emphasis on algebra in younger and younger grades because it makes average kids look behind, when IMO algebra in 9th is just fine.

I really dislike the emphasis on algebra in younger and younger grades because it makes average kids look behind, when IMO algebra in 9th is just fine.

I don't disagree but unless most districts start shifting back to 9th standard college prep/8th honors (which may happen with the transition to Common Core), students who wait until 9th are going to be at a competitive disadvantage when it comes to college admissions. In my district, currently only the bottom 25% of students wait until 9th to take algebra 1. I have to be wary of the "signaling" effect of when my kids take the course.

My oldest did pre-algebra in 6th and algebra in 7th.

My next will do pre-algebra in 7th and algebra in 8th.

It's too early to tell with the next 2, but, at this point, they will do pre-alg in 7th, algebra in 8th. I have mixed feelings about whether my oldest should have done the earlier track. He was a strong math student, but didn't like math. We hoped that "moving on" would help him enjoy math more, but it didn't really. It just makes me get nervous when he has struggles, that we should have waited.

If I had one that was flying through math and loving it, I would just match their pace. If I had one that was struggling, I would not push.

We have 'just' integrated math during grade 7-12 :)

Some of the 'standard' pre-algebra topics are definetly grade 5/6 here, while other are grade 7/8.

Integrated math makes a lot more sense. And I think it is exactly this weird compartmentalization of packaging all of "algebra" in one year that puts US students behind in math compared to other developed countries. Elsewhere, the easier algebra concepts are introduced in 7th (in my home country, linear equations with one variable are taught in 7th) and more complicated in 9th (quadratic equations). Much of what is taught in 10th grade geometry can be (and is) taught in 6th (triangle similarities and congruency). It is the waiting until students are ready for all of what has been packaged as "algebra"  or "geometry" that causes the delay. Three or four years of arithmetic with fractions all.over.again.and.again (5th-7th or 8th ) are enough to turn most students off math before they get to the interesting stuff.

Avg age has a generic reference (typically 8th-9th grade). Some kids are ready as early as 9 or 10 with some outlier kids even earlier. I would suspect that the outliers in the older age range are equally likely.

We have outliers on both ends here.

#1 prealgebra - 8th, algebra  - 9th

#2 prealgebra - partial , algebra  - not attempted

#3 prealgebra  - we didn't do anything with that label, algebra - 3rd grade

#4 looks like prealgebra - 7th, algebra - 8th

When it is right for the individual student, and with the materials that best fit. Our individuals:

DS#1

6th (age 12) = Singapore 6A/6B, supplement: Saxon 76

7th (age 13) = Singapore NEM1 (half), skim-review of Saxon 87

8th (age 14) = Jacobs Algebra 1

DS#2

8th (age 13/14) = MUS Pre-Algebra (spine) / supplement: Singapore 5A/B, 6A/B, several Keys To... workbooks

9th (age 14/15) = Jacobs Algebra 1

10th, 1st semester (age15) = MUS Algebra 1 (a re-do to get completely solid with Algebra)

Side Note: personally, I think age more than grade has a lot to do with a student's algebra-readiness, as the AVERAGE student BEGINS development of the portions of the brain dealing with abstract and logical concepts about age 13. Some will be sooner, some later. I've also seen a lot of student FLY with ease through math and be well ahead of their peers (as in, pre-algebra in 4th/5th grades) -- and hit the wall when they reach Algebra, as they just don't have the brain development for the abstract topic and math becomes a terrible struggle and frustration to them.

JMO: If you have a 6th grader who has done a math progression where Algebra 1 would be the math for that year, you might want to consider taking 6th grade to "play" with math, explore different math topics, and use materials that really help develop math connections and problem-solving skills to give your student the tools for success with Algebra in 7th grade. Think of it as taking a year to go WIDE to develop a strong root-system  (plant analogy) for strength, stability, and ability to draw from many math experiences and connections. A single fast-growing tap root is not the most stable foundation for a plant, nor helpful if the plant gets cut off from that one way of drawing up water (or in this case, one way of understanding math).

For those who have an extremely gifted student, of course, this would not apply...

Well, my older boy used SM through 6b. Some people consider 6a/6b to be a pre-Algebra course. There are people who stop SM in 5th grade and start Algebra in 6th because their student is ready and they feel like they can skip pre-A.

So, my son did 6a/b in 6th grade and then took AoPS pre-Algebra as a 7th grader and is now talking Algebra as an 8th grader.

I don't disagree but unless most districts start shifting back to 9th standard college prep/8th honors (which may happen with the transition to Common Core), students who wait until 9th are going to be at a competitive disadvantage when it comes to college admissions.

Only if you are trying to get into a CA college, or entrance at a competitive college (which makes up only a small percent of all colleges). Or you are planning on going into a STEM field.

Just to keep people from panicking: The reality about math credits and when to take Algebra, and ability to be admitted to college is that the majority of students are admitted every year to good state universities and smaller Liberal Arts Colleges with 4 years of math (Alg. 1, Geom, Alg. 2, Pre-Calc). And a number of schools admit students who only have math credits up through Algebra 2!

Which means a student taking Algebra 1 in 9th can easily get in all 4 credits of math required for admission to a majority of colleges. (Maybe just not a CA college... ;)  :tongue_smilie: )

Warmest regards, Lori D.

I'm a little surprised how early algebra is happening. 

Sagg will be doing pre algebra in 6th. I expect him to move on to algebra in 7th, but I have developmental concerns as Lori mentioned. 

I took algebra in 9th, 10,and college. I didn't really grasp it until the third pass. I think I just wasn't ready. I'm not a mathy person, but I am capable. I do wonder about the quality of instruction that I received. My math education was pretty shoddy all the way through.

Anyway, I hope that my kids continue to glide right through, but I don't think it will be a catastrophe if they need to slow down a bit.

Only if you are trying to get into a CA college, or entrance at a competitive college (which makes up only a small percent of all colleges). Or you are planning on going into a STEM field.

Just to keep people from panicking: The reality about math credits and when to take Algebra, and ability to be admitted to college is that the majority of students are admitted every year to good state universities and smaller Liberal Arts Colleges with 4 years of math (Alg. 1, Geom, Alg. 2, Pre-Calc). And a number of schools admit students who only have math credits up through Algebra 2!

Which means a student taking Algebra 1 in 9th can easily get in all 4 credits of math required for admission to a majority of colleges. (Maybe just not a CA college... ;)  :tongue_smilie: )

Warmest regards, Lori D.

Ftr, I graduated from a small university 5 years ago with a perfectly good baccalaureate and have never taken algebra 2. It did help that I left California. :)

I think I just wasn't ready. I'm not a mathy person, but I am capable. I do wonder about the quality of instruction that I received. My math education was pretty shoddy all the way through.

I tend to think that the quality of math instruction is the crucial factor, more than the elusive "maturity" . Otherwise it would be difficult to explain why students elsewhere in the world are deemed capable of grasping algebra and geometry concepts at a younger age than students in the US. I see no mechanism through which American students should be developmentally delayed compared to same age peers from other countries, but I see a definite difference in the quality of teacher education and the requirements for math teachers. And, of course, in the expectations towards the students. Elevating "algebra" on a pedestal as something difficult you have to be "ready" for creates psychological barriers and anxieties that do not exist if the student simply takes "math" every year.

I should have mentioned in my previous post that we started homeschooling in 5th grade because of the lack of math acceleration for dd in her former school.

We also started homeschooling because of math. At the beginning of 6th grade, schools here were a full year behind 6th graders from my home country in math (after having been slightly ahead at the end of 4th grade) and we planned a sabbatical abroad. The math teachers flat out told me that none of the 6th grade curriculum I had translated for them would be covered here until Junior High school and that I should get a tutor to get DD up to speed. No thanks, I can do this on my own.

As I'm teaching my own children I know that my HS math instruction was terrible at best. ( I had one teacher in 2nd Semester Alg II who was awesome.)

I just assumed they moved alg I down one grade because in our area students are usually a year older than we were in school, because of all the holding back a year before entering schools. 

JMO: If you have a 6th grader who has done a math progression where Algebra 1 would be the math for that year, you might want to consider taking 6th grade to "play" with math, explore different math topics, and use materials that really help develop math connections and problem-solving skills to give your student the tools for success with Algebra in 7th grade. Think of it as taking a year to go WIDE to develop a strong root-system  (plant analogy) for strength, stability, and ability to draw from many math experiences and connections. A single fast-growing tap root is not the most stable foundation for a plant, nor helpful if the plant gets cut off from that one way of drawing up water (or in this case, one way of understanding math).

For those who have an extremely gifted student, of course, this would not apply...

edited to add: somehow my quote didn't work. I was quoting Lori.

This had exactly been my original plan with ds 1. I did not follow it, but I wish I had. I think I got nervous when I saw other gifted students beginning algebra in 7th grade (in NC and NY, not CA). I really think ds would have benefited more from a year of problem solving and feel as though I am trying to shore him up along the way. We are doing geometry this year, but adding a lot of algebra even though he finished algebra with an A-. He is just not confident with problem solving the way I wish he were.

DS is gifted, but not profoundly so. I just wish I'd stuck with my intuition and not worried about the signally effect that Crimson mentions a lot. Her student may just sail through the super early sequence, but for my student and me, it would have been better to wait.

For Older: Pre-A in 5th and into 6th. We will finish Algebra1 by the end of 6th. There have been no "developmental" concerns with my son, in terms of his ability to math. He gets it very quickly and well, and he would have felt stymied had he stayed with the regular progression. 

For Younger: he is working on Zaccaro's Real World Algebra, but I wouldn't say he's ready for all algebra entails. He is doing mutliple streams: LOF Fractions, Zaccaro, MM, Singapore word problems). I imagine he will be ready for a formal Pre-A course in 5th. 

What's going on in CA that renders the average math student unable to get into college with algebra-pre-calc credits?

The state about a decade ago decided to make algebra 1 in 8th the standard. So many districts decided to shift their honors track students ahead a year as well, and start algebra 1 in 7th for them. In my district, 20% of the students take geometry before 9th and 75% take algebra 1 before 9th. The UC's have become extremely competitive, and even my local Cal State has gone from accepting 2/3 of applicants to rejecting 2/3 of them. So a student who didn't take calculus in high school could very well wind up finding himself/herself passed over in favor of those who did.

Ds will be doing prealgebra (AoPs) in 8th grade.

Dd will probably hit it in 8th grade as well, with Saxon (still debating 8/7 vs Algebra 1/2, but I have a while!)

Many of the schools around here do Algebra 1 in 9th (yes, in CA), so I am not worried. Plus my kids will both be going the CC-first route to college, yet another reason to not panic.

Oldest is doing Pre-A this year (7th) w/Abeka. She'll do Algebra next year in 8th (also Abeka).

Too early to tell when DD#2 will get to it - but it probably won't be 7th and it might not be until 9th unless she undergoes a huge leap in her desire to spend time on math.

We move at the pace of the child's understanding, whatever that is.

My two boys are doing AoPS pre-A this year - one is a 5th grader, and one is a 7th grader.  The 5th grader is an outlier in all areas.  My 7th grader is on a more typical academic progression "schedule".

My own experience (in the dark ages of the early 80's) had me in Algebra in 8th grade, Geometry in 9th grade, Algebra 2 in 10th grade, and Trig/pre-calc in 11th grade. I took 12th grade off from math, but I did take a computer science class.  :) 

My oldest is doing Prealgebra in 4th grade, but he's an outlier. We'll likely spend half of 5th grade on it as well, so we'd be starting Algebra 1 either halfway through 5th or in 6th. We're using AoPS, so I'm not worried about his foundation. It's much deeper/wider than your typical Prealgebra course.

My DH took Algebra 1 in 6th grade in public school (apparently using Dolciani Algebra Structure and Method - he recognized it when my friend gave me a copy). So I'm pretty sure my oldest will be fine with it by that point also.

My DD is a good math student, although it's not her favorite subject, and I don't really see her going into a STEM field. I actually slowed her down this year because otherwise, she was on track to hit Algebra in 7th grade, and I just think that's not going to be necessary for her. She will still be able to get Calculus in high school if she chooses. She's doing Saxon Algebra 1/2 this year (6th grade), but at a slower pace (we do two lessons over three days, 20 problems per day, plus we intersperse supplemental word problems and the Your Business Math series from SimplyCharlotteMason.com). She'll continue that next year as well, and then she'll move to Algebra 1 in late 7th or earlly 8th grade.

My DS1, otoh, is a math-oriented student. I could see Algebra 1 in 7th working for him.

Because we sped along at a brisk pace earlier (not because my daughter has huge math talents or love of math), we ended up finishing SM 6 at the end of 4th. So we have spent 5th and 6th grade floating around pre-algebra type topics with Galore Park SYRWTL Maths 2&3, Keys to Algebra, CWP 4-6, and Zacarro. We'll start Algebra 1 officially in 7th which feels right. In truth, much of the Algebra I book I have for her is review, but I think that's a-ok.

Our local schools teach pre-algebra in 7th and 8th and Algebra in 9th as their standard college prep track and Algebra I in 8th for the honors track. I think it's totally reasonable.

My DS is doing Alg as a 4th grader (did k12's Fundamentals of Geometry and Algebra in 3rd and PreAlgebra at the start of 4th) but he is definitely an outlier.

I imagine my DD will do prealgebra in 6th or 7th depending on how she continues to do in math. She is a year ahead but that is through hard work not through just naturally 'getting it' like her brother.

I don't think there needs to be a push to get to Alg early but I also think it's unfair to hold someone like my DS back when even in Alg he just gets it with little to no true learning happening.

We are another outlier. We try and do two full years of math study right now to make sure his foundations are solid. I stretch it as far as I can till I am worried he will mutiny.

[last year] 3rd grade: Standard PreAlgebra (Scott Foresman?)

[this year] 4th grade: AoPS PreAlgebra and Intro to Counting and Probability (continued into the first two months of fifth)

5th grade: Standard Geometry (Holt?) and AoPS Intro to Number Theory

6th grade: AoPS Geometry

7th grade: AoPS Intro to Algebra

8th grade: AoPS Intermediate Algebra

9th grade: AoPS PreCalculus

10th grade: AoPS Calculus

Dual Enrollment to finish out 11th and 12th

At least that is the plan. Who knows what might happen in there since we are still early. His geometry sequence is out of normal order because he is highly visual. Algebra is not his thing. This is also the reason for adding the Counting/Probability book with this year's PreAlgebra. He hated doing math before, but will pound the PreAlgebra chapters to do the Counting/Prob chapters.

Dd did pre-algebra in 8th and algebra in 9th. She can do mathbut she doesn't like math. Our state has 4 math credits required, and business math isn't accepted by colleges here.

I took algebra in 9th, scored a perfect score in math on the ACT in my junior year, and have a math degree.

Ds is my mathy kid, but I will make sure he's ready instead of going by a timetable. He loves science as well, so I do see a STEM career in his future.

We are another outlier. We try and do two full years of math study right now to make sure his foundations are solid. I stretch it as far as I can till I am worried he will mutiny.

[last year] 3rd grade: Standard PreAlgebra (Scott Foresman?)

[this year] 4th grade: AoPS PreAlgebra and Intro to Counting and Probability (continued into the first two months of fifth)

5th grade: Standard Geometry (Holt?) and AoPS Intro to Number Theory

8th grade: AoPS Intermediate Algebra

9th grade: AoPS PreCalculus

10th grade: AoPS Calculus

Dual Enrollment to finish out 11th and 12th

At least that is the plan. Who knows what might happen in there since we are still early. His geometry sequence is out of normal order because he is highly visual. Algebra is not his thing. This is also the reason for adding the Counting/Probability book with this year's PreAlgebra. He hated doing math before, but will pound the PreAlgebra chapters to do the Counting/Prob chapters.

I'm sure you will figure this out on your own as you work through the books, but AoPS geometry is supposed to be the most difficult of all of the introductory level books.   You are probably going to want to swap around your 6th and 7th grade plans.

I've been wrapping in (Pre/Intro) Algebra into math from the very beginning. Both boys can use the axioms (most of the time) to solve/justify their work. We've worked on graphing a good bit, they can solve equations of one variable and re-arrange algebraic expressions using axioms (properties of real numbers). They're in "first grade."

I really don't like "prealgebra" (whatever the heck that is) as a separate course so we, probably, won't be doing a separate prealgebra course when they finish MM6. Instead we'll continue on using some of Math Mammoths more advanced topics/modules from Gold and Green and the rest of Keys to Algebra. After they finish that I'm pretty sure we're doing a "Survey of Mathematics" using some of the old college texts I have on hand, but my plans keep on changing/wavering.

Algebra 1 in 9th grade still seems to be pretty standard in our area. 

Ds19 and Ds15 both used an integrated math program (Singapore NEM). Ds19 was in public school through 6th grade, so he didn't start NEM 1 until 8th and ended up taking AP Calc AB in 12th. Ds15 started NEM in 6th grade and will take AP Calc BC next year in 10th. 

Ds16 has some LD's and is repeating Algebra 1 this year in 10th, with Jacobs. He used MUS for Pre-algebra in 8th and Algebra 1 in 9th. 

Ds11 is on track to take Pre-algebra in 7th and Algebra 1 in 8th. 

His geometry sequence is out of normal order because he is highly visual.

My younger cleared the geometry section of the PreAlgebra book before starting on chapter one. I intent to let him alternate between the intro to algebra book and intro to geometry book as long as both books get completed somehow. Besides I'm used to integrated math.

I'm in CA and remembered almost every kid taking algebra in 9th grade, and only some in 8th grade, 20+ years ago, but that's no longer the case. In fact, there is this one private Christian school that requires algebra in 6th grade (to stay one year ahead of PS) and the only reason why I know this is that the kid from there was busy with math tutoring and couldn't take Chinese class with DD. I'm really not joking when I hear almost everyone around me with math tutors from China; they have tutors helping them stay 1-2 years ahead of the school's schedule. That's pressure, and I'm tempted.

11-13 years old. After a child has been introduced to advance concepts of multiplication/division/fractions/decimals/percents. I just can't see doing 3 years of middle school math. I have always been of the mine, keep advancing in Math no matter what until we up to Cal.

So I combined 5/6 grade concepts and then started pre-algebra. It took a few months to pick a pre-alg program that my kids wanted to stick with and worked for everyone. We tried saxon, BJU, and Keys to..., & TT. They choose Teaching Textbooks. I do plan on supplementing if they stick with it through high school especially in Geometry & Algbra 2. 

I'm sure you will figure this out on your own as you work through the books, but AoPS geometry is supposed to be the most difficult of all of the introductory level books.   You are probably going to want to swap around your 6th and 7th grade plans.

AoPS Geometry requires algebra. You might want to swap the two courses.

Thanks guys. I know. I have tried and tried and tried again to explain this. Stinkin' boy is as stubborn as I am :). The compromise we have made is to do a traditional geometry book first. He has already been introduced to many of the topics and worked though them - he can do basic linear equations and quadratics, though not complex ones. After that, then the AoPS book. I'm letting him discover the giant wall he will most likely smack into. I have AoPS geometry on order because I found it for less than 20 dollars on eBay. I'm hoping that looking through it might be a bit of a hint as well. In the end he will either rise to the challenge and prove me wrong, or agree with me and switch.

My father used to constantly tell me that I had to do everything the hard way. As I am now schooling my son, I am beginning to understand what he meant.

My younger cleared the geometry section of the PreAlgebra book before starting on chapter one. I intent to let him alternate between the intro to algebra book and intro to geometry book as long as both books get completed somehow. Besides I'm used to integrated math.

I have purchased both as I think this might be the direction we head as well. My son is highly spacial. He most always intuitively gets the geometry and does it first with out the algebra. Either that or his impious for learning the algebra is to be able to explain/understand the geometry. I hadn't considered aligning the texts to create an integrated approach, but I might just take this on this summer in case he decides to do them both concurrently. Thanks for the great idea!

Yes, it varies.  My daughter was in public school and took algebra 1 in 8th grade.  

My teen son took pre-algebra 1 in public school in 7th and we tried and failed and tried and failed to do algebra 1 in 8th.  We started over with the singapore  upper level books and re-did prealgebra in 9th, plus some algebra.  

My youngest is currently reviewing 6th grade math and will start LOF pre-algebra and bio probably by the end of next week, which is 5th grade.  He's my mathiest kid. 

Reading this thread with interest. How would one teach integrated math? I got integrated math as well when I was growing up. I wonder if this can be done using MM, jumping around in chapters perhaps? 

I haven't done it yet, but the way ds10 is going (he's in 5th now), he'll hit Pre-A in the second half of 7th grade. We can start Algebra in 8th when he's ready. I don't want him to rush over concepts. I feel like I have missed a lot because of lack of maturity and attention and failed college algebra in college as a result (three times!). I'm going to be learning right alongside him. I find Maria Miller's explanations clear and understandable. We are at MM 5A now.

Reading this thread with interest. How would one teach integrated math? I got integrated math as well. I wonder if this can be done using MM, jumping around in chapters perhaps?

If the program wasn't already integrated like Singapore DM or NEM, MEP, etc. then what I would do is do M/W algebra, T/TH geometry, and Fridays assorted topics like probability & statistics, number theory, etc. Or you could alternate chapter-by-chapter if you prefer.