Menu

If my children spent would just do what it is I asked them to do (JAWM)

DawnM

I agree with you ...

but ...

I must confess.  There are plenty of times when I spend more time/energy dreading a task and procrastinating and whining in my head about it than it would take to just do it.

:blushing:

Sometimes I will try to make that a Teaching Moment, by admitting my shortcomings and making sure DS doesn't think I'm infallible.  ;)

There has been many the task here that could have been finished in 10 minutes if we didn't need a 20 minute gripe/whine/argue/curl up in bed and moan about it session first.

Those are the days I long for a big bag of dark chocolate, a new bottle of wine, and a sensory deprivation tank.

(Those are also the days I catch myself fantasizing about enrolling the lot in the school down the street. Hmm....)

This our very first week since Christmas that hasn't been all-consuming arguing all day, every day.

Have the same issue here.  I remind them repeatedly that they should save their arguments for the most important times.  Maybe I should institute a daily argument limit.  Once those are up, you can't argue the rest of the day.  

Nah, they'd probably argue about what's an argument.  

My kids are so bad in the grocery store about arguing with me (or just plain talking non-stop about what I should buy, etc.) that we did institute a limit on interacting there. We've only tried it once (so far, so good). They get ten pennies when we go into the store. They have to surrender a penny to talk to me unless I speak to them first. If they misbehave, they surrender a penny. They keep the pennies that they don't use, and they can save them up over a few trips for those big gumballs they beg for--but they cannot use pennies from one trip to talk during another trip.

After the college acceptances are received.

:lol:

No really, at about 16 things turned around for both my older kids. They stopped petty arguing with their siblings. They interacted well with adults. They took full control of their educations---no more nagging about getting work done (with the exception of college essays...). They still played with their younger cousins. They cooked for the family. They cleaned up their crap in common spaces without a problem (I didn't care about their rooms as long as no food went upstairs). They did their own wash. They were fun to spend time with :)

And it has continued thus at now almost 21 and 19 :)

You are so right! Oh my word, it drives me insane. And, to carry this a bit further.... If you would just sit down and do your grammar, instead of agonizing and complaining about how you hate grammar and how you don't want to do it, you would get it (and all your other work) done in no time and then be done and out to play.

After the college acceptances are received.

:lol:

No really, at about 16 things turned around for both my older kids. They stopped petty arguing with their siblings. They interacted well with adults. They took full control of their educations---no more nagging about getting work done (with the exception of college essays...). They still played with their younger cousins. They cooked for the family. They cleaned up their crap in common spaces without a problem (I didn't care about their rooms as long as no food went upstairs). They did their own wash. They were fun to spend time with :)

And it has continued thus at now almost 21 and 19 :)

So, um, I'm in a rather dark tunnel right now with my 12 yo ds. Is the very faint light I see ahead the end of the tunnel or an oncoming train?

Yes, the struggle for power and "a voice" (one that is effective) is often much more important to children than the simple balance of time and effort around a particular task.

That's often the case when people are having less power or a smaller voice than they would like. I think it might be an instinct.

An annoying instinct.

My daughter just told me to "Just shut your mouth and listen!" so it can go either way.  And no, I don't have a problem with her telling me that because I wasn't listening to her when I should have been. And it wasn't said disrespectfully but with exasperated humor.   Other times, she needs to shut her mouth and listen to me first - then I let her have her say.  But I make sure she knows that the "listen" part is just as important if not more so than the "shut your mouth" part.  

That is funny.

Just the other day I was telling my kids how the parenting advice I get is to "let them go without, they will learn!"  But that that advice is lost on my kids……they still do it again!  and again!  and again!

(not saying I am not sometimes a softy and don't give in, because I do, but sheesh!)

Plus the loss of privileges that go along with arguing and disrespecting me, really one would think the kid would figure things out, but no.... :ack2:

My dd seems to love to gripe and complain, sometimes she even manages to work herself into tears.

Oh! You have one of those, too? Mine is almost 11; yours?

Silly me once thought that dealing with colicky babies and toddlers was near impossible. Ah, blissful ignorance. Dealing with hormonally challenged young people is much, MUCH more difficult. At least for me.

Silly me once thought that dealing with colicky babies and toddlers was near impossible. Ah, blissful ignorance. Dealing with hormonally challenged young people is much, MUCH more difficult. At least for me.

/gasp!/ Mine is almost 11!  I swear, the amount of time and energy she expends on complaining and/or crying about school is simply amazing.  I realized that I can handle fussing babies.  I cannot handle fussing 10 year olds...

/gasp!/ Mine is almost 11! I swear, the amount of time and energy she expends on complaining and/or crying about school is simply amazing. I realized that I can handle fussing babies. I cannot handle fussing 10 year olds...

I'm blown away that your dd is almost 11, too. ;)

I'd "Like" this; however, I'm apparently fresh out of likes for right now.

/gasp!/ Mine is almost 11!  I swear, the amount of time and energy she expends on complaining and/or crying about school is simply amazing.  I realized that I can handle fussing babies.  I cannot handle fussing 10 year olds...

Oh, how true!   

I'm relieved to hear that I'm not the only one dealing with this.   My kids act like 2 year olds sometimes, rather than the 11 and 9 year olds that they are.   I am worn out from the arguing and complaining.

Sigh....DH is leaving tomorrow morning to help his parents move out of state, so we were planning to do Valentine's Day tonight (which will be a surprise to the kids).  But with the amount of arguing and disrespect I've received today, the LAST thing I want to do is give them Valentine's gifts.  

I think both of mine like it, the arguing I mean.  It is satisfying on some very deep level.  It isn't just about talking their way out of something.  I think they just really couldn't respect themselves if they fell into line with every directive lol.  It is about self determination and independence, or the pursuit of it maybe.

My younger kids are on February vacation starting today, and through next week.  I'm trying to be realistic, and do a pared-down schedule with DD1... but there's still some stuff that I need her to do.  I swear it was less than 30 minutes worth of work, that she dragged to over 2 hours whining about how she wanted to go play... well, she could have been playing an hour and a half earlier if she'd just done the very short pile of work I had laid out for her.

Another almost 11 year old griper here. It's gotta be the age. Wow!

I think both of mine like it, the arguing I mean. It is satisfying on some very deep level. It isn't just about talking their way out of something. I think they just really couldn't respect themselves if they fell into line with every directive lol. It is about self determination and independence, or the pursuit of it maybe.

Mine does. He loves conflict. He thrives on it. He does anything he can to bug people, get a rise out of people, argue, mind everyone else's business, and then he just gets this grin on his face.

On Tuesday, we were on snow watch for the NEXT day here in South Carolina. My 9 year old ds took 5 hours to do his typical school. 2.5 hours to do TWO math problems. I thought I was gonna lose my marbles. He eats dinner and decides he wants to do his school for the next day right then so he could play in the snow. He sits down and finishes roughly the SAME amount of work in an hour!

She is only nine and showing no indications of hormonal changes. She has always been this way, if anything it has gotten a little better but not much.