Menu

**GASP** I'm considering breaking up with my keurig

Mandylubug

I have a keurig. I love it but the price per cup just started to grate on my frugal nerves. 50 cents per serving is expensive still. I decided to buy the reusable filters to save money but sheesh, I'm lazy and hate banging the grounds out in the trash, when filling making sure I don't overfill and if I want a second cup I get to rinse and repeat. Now kids are getting to where they ask for coffee nearly daily. It calms and seems to soothe them like it does for DH. So, I typically brew some for them.

I think it is to the point that I find it too time consuming and expensive for our purposes. Anyone else come to same conclusion?

Everything you are saying is why I don't like Keurigs.  If I was the only coffee drinking in the house and drank 1 cup a day then I'd consider it.  But dh and I both drink at least 2 cups a day.  Using for k cups a day is too expensive and cleaning a filter 4 times is too much work.  might as well just brew 4 cups in a coffee maker with a carafe that is a thermos

Everything you are saying is why I don't like Keurigs. If I was the only coffee drinking in the house and drank 1 cup a day then I'd consider it. But dh and I both drink at least 2 cups a day. Using for k cups a day is too expensive and cleaning a filter 4 times is too much work. might as well just brew 4 cups in a coffee maker with a carafe that is a thermos

I'm considering a brew station that doesn't even have a carafe. Just a reservoir and you fill up your cup and it keeps the rest warm. Seems so much more freeing. I can afford expensive ground coffee and still be cheaper than cheap k cups

I'm considering a brew station that doesn't even have a carafe. Just a reservoir and you fill up your cup and it keeps the rest warm. Seems so much more freeing. I can afford expensive ground coffee and still be cheaper than cheap k cups

This is what I have and I love it.

I have both a Keurig and a Brewstation. Usually, dh and I only drink one cup each per day, but I still start to feel guilty buying the K-cups. So, usually, every few months, I bring the Brewstation back in an use it for awhile (until I want the convenience of the Keurig again.:-) ) That said, I do love the Brewstation for a regular coffee maker.

I hear you. Dh brings hiis own coffee to work so we started using our coffepot during the week and the keurig for weekends. If I want coffee during the day after coffee pot is empty I use the keurig,

that's a thought. Do you keep both on your counter. I have a larger keurig, the signature series with large reservoir so it takes up a good bit of space in a small kitchen. I paid good money for it though and don't want to get rid of it.

DH says stop allowing the kids coffee but I feel they should be allowed to drink it if they wish. We don't limit anything other than our alcohol currently. Equal opportunity household when legal lol

I use a french press every morning.  You do have to clean out the grounds daily, but I have a fresh mug full of coffee at the strength I like.  I love it!  I actually collect french presses (and handthrown pottery mugs). For me, using one is part of the "experience or art" of enjoying that simple pleasure of a great mug of coffee!

The other thing I use occasionally is a pour-through cone made by Melita.  It is under $5.  You have to use a paper filter every cup.  All you do is add amount of coffee you like and set cone on mug, then pour boiling water over it.  It makes a great cup of coffee!  That's what my dd21 uses when she comes home from college.  And there's no mess at all...just throw away the used filter w/grounds! 

The other thing I use occasionally is a pour-through cone made by Melita.  It is under $5.  You have to use a paper filter every cup.  All you do is add amount of coffee you like and set cone on mug, then pour boiling water over it.  It makes a great cup of coffee!  That's what my dd21 uses when she comes home from college.  And there's no mess at all...just throw away the used filter w/grounds! 

That's what I use.

We have a water boiler that keeps water hot for coffee/tea/hot chocolate all day. The coffee drinkers use a mug-sized French press. The tea drinkers use bags or a pot with a mesh liner, and the cocoa drinkers just open the package of Swiss Miss. I don't think we're all that frugal . . . we just put our savings into better coffee and tea :-/

We have a french press and also a coffee maker that has an insulated pot. The insulated pot has a reusable filter. In the summer we use the french press and in the winter we use the coffee maker. We seem to drink more hot coffee in the cold weather.  I should add that we use the french press to make a cold brew coffee that we served iced.

I considered a keurig for about 5 seconds, but the idea of generating that much waste for a single cup of coffee made me gag. If you really want single serving consider a melita single serving drip coffee maker. Or a small french press.

We got a Keurig a couple of months ago and we enjoy it. We use the regular coffee pot for morning coffee where we drink two cups each or for those times when we have company and want an 'after dinner coffee'. Usually, the Keurig gets used when one of us wants a late-night flavored coffee.

We don't brew 'regular' coffee in the Keurig. OP, would something similar work for you, or do you use your Keurig for regular coffee?

I hate the little plastic cups, though. I wish they were recyclable. :thumbdown:

If you have multiple reusable filters, it's not as bad. I found that with about 4, I can minimize how annoying they are to dump. If you let the grounds just sit in the filter about 24-36hrs, they will dry out and dump just like powder. It barely leaves any behind and you can just rinse it out quickly with no fuss. I hate dumping out hot and wet grounds! I'm the only one who drinks coffee, though. DS may have some once a week or less. My girls use it for hot water to make tea with tea bags. Could you switch your children to tea?

I have a keurig. I love it but the price per cup just started to grate on my frugal nerves. 50 cents per serving is expensive still. I decided to buy the reusable filters to save money but sheesh, I'm lazy and hate banging the grounds out in the trash, when filling making sure I don't overfill and if I want a second cup I get to rinse and repeat. Now kids are getting to where they ask for coffee nearly daily. It calms and seems to soothe them like it does for DH. So, I typically brew some for them.

I think it is to the point that I find it too time consuming and expensive for our purposes. Anyone else come to same conclusion?

I pay $0.38 per serving. I buy the San Francisco Bay pods from Costco - $30 for 80 pods. They are not k-cups; they are like a filter pod with a plastic/foil top.

It's probably cheaper at your Costco. AK often gets special marked-up pricing.

Even at 38 cents a cup I can still get superior coffee for MUCH less by buying quality whole beans and brewing a pot.  The most expensive coffee we like to buy in the most expensive sized small bag is less than 17 cents a cup.  I can buy less expensive, but still quite good whole beans on sale that gets the per cup cost down to about 10 cents a cup. 

K-cups are a rip off, more so for the quality of coffee delivered.  Cost wise k-cups only compare favorably to more expensive instants or buying coffee out.  My brother does the k-cups and honestly, the coffee just doesn't taste all that great. 

Our solution....We use Melitta Javajig Coffee System with disposable Filters.  The filters cost about 5 cents a piece.  I just use inexpensive Folgers Coffee that I ground finer using our coffee grinder.  I didn't like the cost or the taste of the K-cups.  Using regular ground coffee didn't seem to make a strong enough cup of coffee so I started grinding the coffee further and have been pleased with the results.  I think if we didn't already have the Keurig, I would just go with a french press.  We don't drink a whole lot of coffee.  Just one or two cups a day.  

Okay, I love my Keurig.  We have the reusable K-cups and use those instead of the "prefilled" ones.  I prefer to drink tea so that is not an issue for me.  Dh uses it for coffee.  Dd uses it for instant hot cocoa (when she doesn't feel like making from scratch).  Having more than one reuseable Kcup keeps the coffee line going quicker in the morning.  If I want the coffee stronger, I fill the Kcup to the very top and set the brew size to the smallest setting. 

I have never had a keurig, but I have several friends who purchased and then donated theirs for the same reasons.

Same with us.  My in-laws gave us one for Christmas one year and we returned it.  They were stunned but we drink a 10-cup pot each morning and often make a half pot later in the day. 

I've noticed more people getting rid of theirs and going back to a "regular" coffee pot.   Or they have both on their counter which is a good compromise though some (like my MIL) complain about the lack of counter space :lol: .   Even if we wanted to have both, my kitchen would not accommodate them.

I'm a person who refuses to meet anyone at Starbucks. Ever. The prices are ridiculous. I do have a coffeemaker. Still, I'd be more concerned about this:

<< It calms and seems to soothe>>

I mean no offense and of course, what you do is your business, not mine, but have you considered that this is probably not good for your children? It's a drug. Not a strong drug, but a drug, if they feel a calming affect.

I would seriously consider not allowing children to drink coffee until they are at least 16 or so - and then not often. 

Again, just my opinion. I don't mean to imply that you are a terrible mother for allowing it. Just asking if you've considered it.

Hear, hear for multiple options for coffee in your kitchen!  We have 3 choices that we use regularly--inexpensive espresso machine, French press, and an electric vacuum-extraction pot.  We also have a dripmaker and a percolator stored in the basement until occasionally needed.   

Keep your Keurig (stored handily away?) for when you want that one special cup, but try another method for your daily cuppas.  

Newest coffee gadget in our house:  a hand mill for grinding!  :)

I'm a person who refuses to meet anyone at Starbucks. Ever. The prices are ridiculous. I do have a coffeemaker. Still, I'd be more concerned about this:

<< It calms and seems to soothe>>[/size]

I mean no offense and of course, what you do is your business, not mine, but have you considered that this is probably not good for your children? It's a drug. Not a strong drug, but a drug, if they feel a calming affect.[/size]

I would seriously consider not allowing children to drink coffee until they are at least 16 or so - and then not often. 

Again, just my opinion. I don't mean to imply that you are a terrible mother for allowing it. Just asking if you've considered it.

Coffee/caffeine use is not uncommon in those with ADHD/ADD tendencies instead of rx drugs. It does not calm and soothe most people. I'm pretty sure the OP knows what she's doing.

If we had multiple people who drank more than one cup of coffee then we'd probably stick with the insulated pot, but it's just me and I just drink one cup a day. I have a reusable filter in my regular old coffee pot and have a fench press in addition to my Keurig. I hate cleaning those worse tha I hate cleaning the k-cup filter so I'm sticking with my Keurig, but I can totally see the frustration.

Even at 38 cents a cup I can still get superior coffee for MUCH less by buying quality whole beans and brewing a pot.  The most expensive coffee we like to buy in the most expensive sized small bag is less than 17 cents a cup.  I can buy less expensive, but still quite good whole beans on sale that gets the per cup cost down to about 10 cents a cup. 

K-cups are a rip off, more so for the quality of coffee delivered.  Cost wise k-cups only compare favorably to more expensive instants or buying coffee out.  My brother does the k-cups and honestly, the coffee just doesn't taste all that great. 

It's cheaper than brewing a pot of coffee and having most of it go to waste. Since I only drink one cup a day, $0.38 is a deal. Also, price isn't the only factor. I like that it's clean & easy. We use it to get hot water for tea or cocoa. I like that you can adjust the serving size (4, 6, 8, 10, or 12 oz).

We have an Aero Press, and it's messy, fiddly, and uses a lot of coffee grounds.

Coffee/caffeine use is not uncommon in those with ADHD/ADD tendencies instead of rx drugs. It does not calm and soothe most people. I'm pretty sure the OP knows what she's doing.

Yup.  My husband is a big coffee drinker.  Before he was diagnosed with ADD I swear he really was drinking enough that it would have been more efficient to just mainline black coffee all day.  Never really seemed to keep him awake, just make his head clearer.  He was diagnosed in his early 30s and found that when he started his medication coffee wasn't as urgent of a need anymore. 

I should probably edit my original post, but I'm going to add another.  My keurig gets used off and on all day.  Dh makes coffee first thing in the morning.  I make ginger or lemon tea.  Dd makes English breakfast tea.  Later in the day, I make a nice cup of Earl Grey or English afternoon tea.  Several evenings a week, I make a cup of chamoile.  Youngest dd makes a cup of cocoa.  Oldest might make a cup of blueberry.  The keurig stays full and gets used many times by all of us.  And yes, we do sometimes make coffee :)

thank you for this. We do medicate for one ADHD child. May medicate others. DH is ADHD and only "medicates" with coffee. Who knows where we'll be in a couple years but coffee is actually recommended by their pediatrician for our scenario.

Same with us. My in-laws gave us one for Christmas one year and we returned it. They were stunned but we drink a 10-cup pot each morning and often make a half pot later in the day.

I've noticed more people getting rid of theirs and going back to a "regular" coffee pot. Or they have both on their counter which is a good compromise though some (like my MIL) complain about the lack of counter space :lol: . Even if we wanted to have both, my kitchen would not accommodate them.

I don't have enough space either. One would have to relocate to our pantry while the other is in use.

We have a Keurig and I love it, but our rule of thumb is to only use it if ONE person wants coffee.  Or if my husband wants decaf and I want caf, we'll use it.

It's actually been a life-saver for my husband because his right arm/hand is paralyzed, and he can make himself a cup of coffee with the Keurig using just his left hand.

The biggest problem I have with it is imaging all of those little plastic cups in the landfill.

Here's another great option that's a fill your own version for coffee, if you think you'd prefer a single serving instead of brewing a batch.  For some reason that I haven't yet asked the mods, I can no longer link things, so look up Bunn MyCafe.  It keeps water hot in a reservoir, and then has interchangeable "drawers" to brew pods or teabags, brew k-cups, brew loose coffee (fill the little indention in the "drawer" with your own), or simply dispense hot water through a pass through drawer.   Because it's a Bunn, it brews a bit hotter than Keurigs, which a lot of hard-core coffee drinkers like.  The fill you own coffee drawer isn't fiddly at all.  (You can probably find a You Tube video if you want to see it work.)

Good luck, OP. 

ETA: 

1)   If you check You Tube and search using  "Bunn My Cafe MCU Ground Coffee Drawer" there is a very nice video demonstrating the brew our own coffee feature, and you can visualize how much effort it would be.  The biggest diff is that dd says she really, really likes the coffee made by her Bunn, but didn't care for the coffee made by her friend's fill-your-own Keurig.  probably has something to do with the brew temp since it's a Bunn.  :-)

2) Having used dd's drawer a lot, I really think average 10 and 11 year olds could use the fill-your-own drawer. Fill (it comes with a nicely rounded scoop), close, dump, rinse--easy, peasy.   You measure how much water to pour in the top with the stair step markings.  That's easy, too.  It dispenses what you pour in.

3) The one thing that we found was that it is splatters/spits a bit when pouring out the beverage.  We like to keep a towel under it and wipe it down occasionally.  Not a big deal, just dd and I are neat freaks about this one thing.

thank you for this. We do medicate for one ADHD child. May medicate others. DH is ADHD and only "medicates" with coffee. Who knows where we'll be in a couple years but coffee is actually recommended by their pediatrician for our scenario.

We are also using coffee or black tea to try to stall an increase in dosage around here. Pediatrician recommended. :)

We've switched back to our regular coffee maker because the new house liquid rock coming out of the pipes. The kuerig was constantly clogging from the minerals and is much harder to descale.