Menu

Stupidest thing I've done so far in 2014. How about you?

Tiramisu

Yesterday evening, I finished a sandwich that was half-eaten by a dd who wound up being up all night in agony. We are going in for a strep test this morning because she was sick with a sore throat last week and never completely recovered. Now it's throat, stomach and head. The last time I had strep, I got it by eating a kid's leftovers. I think I'll take some probies and vitamin C and hope for the best. But I should really learn my lesson.

What stupid thing have you done this year?

I keep trying to get out of bed and get this house cleaned up and my bronchitis just keeps getting worse and worse.  I need to just rest, but with a farm and kids.  That's not gonna happen unless I'm in the hospital.  Hubby thinks we need to keep moving otherwise it will settle worse in my lungs.  Yeah, buddy it's already there.

I realized yesterday that I had not assigned my teen ANY science yet this year!  ok, that was only 6 school days, but still . . doh!  

Now that made me laugh!  :laugh:

Maybe you can tell yourself you're doing a block schedule and doing science in the spring semester.

Update: Dd does indeed have strep. The swab came out bloody (sorry, TMI). I am gargling with Listerine. And watching two other kids who aren't feeling too well. Both have stomachaches and are dizzy but no sore throat. What to do when my co-pay has gone up to $30?!!

On Monday, I decided to drive somewhere unfamiliar and a bit ill-designed, thinking the bus would be too much trouble... and got into a wreck. Yeah, doing without my car most of next week while it gets fixed is what's going to be too much trouble.

Yesterday I pulled two oatmeal packets out of the cabinet, shook them a little to settle the stuff, ripped off the tops and poured them both into the garbage can instead of my bowl.

Then last night, I put tea bags into my mug, filled it up with water and walked over to put it in the fridge instead of the microwave.

I'm sure I've done plenty of other stupid things but those are the two that are fresh in my mind.

I placed my foot slightly under a flatbed shopping cart at Costco that was holding at least 150lbs of shelving on it.  DH came around a corner after looking for something we forgot and pushed the cart before I could move my toe.  Now I have a broken little piggy toe.

I fell down the stairs on Dec 29th and tore my bicep, a week before I had to do a ton of printing and office work at a national-level debate tournament.  Fun times. And then I got a cold just before the tournament, another on the heels of that one at the end of the tournament, and started my cycle as the tournament ended. All on very little sleep. Obviously I have not felt very well for a while!

I let myself get into a power struggle with my son over wearing enough layers on a cool, but not cold, day. Waste of freaking time.

My car wouldn't start one morning. It took me an embarrassingly long amount of time checking stuff under the hood before I realized the battery was disconnected. What's more, I HAD PERSONALLY disconnected it to test my theory it was draining too much when it is parked. Duh. After that I left the wrench on the drivers seat to remind me to reconnect the battery when I took it out. On the upside, my hunch was correct and we saved money by figuring it out on our own.

Yesterday I pulled two oatmeal packets out of the cabinet, shook them a little to settle the stuff, ripped off the tops and poured them both into the garbage can instead of my bowl.

Then last night, I put tea bags into my mug, filled it up with water and walked over to put it in the fridge instead of the microwave.

I'm sure I've done plenty of other stupid things but those are the two that are fresh in my mind.

In the last few weeks most of our spoons have disappeared and it could be because I threw them in the trash instead of the dishwasher.

Update: Dd does indeed have strep. The swab came out bloody (sorry, TMI). I am gargling with Listerine. And watching two other kids who aren't feeling too well. Both have stomachaches and are dizzy but no sore throat. What to do when my co-pay has gone up to $30?!!

Call and let them know you have one child that has already been diagnosed with strep and 2 more with the same symptoms.  They might call in the script with out seeing the other 2.

Well, this is totally uncharacteristic of me, just so you know!  I'm usually careful about not wasting money.

So I decided my kids need some more school clothes since the big one keeps growing.  I went on eBay and ordered some used jumpers.  Then I ordered some polo shirts.  New ones, French Toast brand, which is what I intended.  Only I didn't consider that each one was going to have separate shipping charges, since they were coming from different places.  (Nobody had more than one or two colors I wanted.)  I didn't realize until I started getting order confirms along with the shipping charges.  Duh.  Would have been much cheaper (and easier) to order directly from French Toast.

That's the only one I remember, but shoot, there have been 14.5 days in 2014 already, so I'm sure there have been many other stupid moments....

Call and let them know you have one child that has already been diagnosed with strep and 2 more with the same symptoms.  They might call in the script with out seeing the other 2.

I tried that and the NP said I may want to bring them in. I even thought I might get a script to hold onto for myself since I told her about eating the strep contaminated sandwich, but no luck. This NP is relatively new to the practice. In the past the docs there that know me well have given me scripts just in case. They have also done a strep test for me on the sly to spare me having to visit my own doctor.

My question is if my other kids are having symptoms other than the sore throat, will the throat swab always be accurate? I had one dd years ago who was cultured without a sore throat but had the strep rash and the test was positive.

We're making rounds with the flu here. It is not pretty. 

In the last few weeks most of our spoons have disappeared and it could be because it threw them in the trash instead of the dishwasher.

My husband has a habit of putting greasy frying pans on top of the garbage to drain off the worst of the grease before washing them.  At least twice, said frying pan made it to the outside trash bin before we realized.

My husband has a habit of putting greasy frying pans on top of the garbage to drain off the worst of the grease before washing them.  At least twice, said frying pan made it to the outside trash bin before we realized.

Your dh sounds practical like mine. If the bathroom drains get slow, he drains the pasta in the offending sinks. :(

Today my 8th grader made fortune cookies.  She gave me the first one and I dutifully began munching. Nine times out of ten her baking turns out great but every once in awhile she puts way too much baking powder in or something so eating her food can be an exercise in faith / stupidity. So I wasn't surprised as much as puzzled as to what she had done now when my jaws could not chew the cookie. I spit it out discreetly and could not figure out why in the world there was paper in her cookie but I put it in my pocket so she wouldn't be embarrassed.  A few minutes later someone was snickering over a fortune she had written.  Then it dawned on me that I had just eaten the fortune in my fortune cookie. :)

I decided that the week I start back to school, the second week back for us, when I'm not feeling well or rested, well that's the perfect time to start ripping up the kitchen floor. My house has this gorgeous original hardwood everywhere but the kitchen. The previous owner put down this cheesy fake looking blond laminate - so doesn't match the house. He did a poor job too. So I wanted to see what was under it.

After reading, I realized the glue under the vinyl, which was under the laminate, could have asbestos. So I'm going to do a DIY farmhouse painted pine floor with regular pine boards instead of ripping up everything. I won't have money to buy that until next month. In the meantime I have to search in the cold garage to see if we have any 1 x 6 pine boards or buy one and cover up the bright blue underlayment that is now showing. My cat will probably try to eat it at some point. 

I started listening to something online and then ds told me the headphones weren't plugged in...

I kept meaning to donate a bunch of stuff to a local charity, keeping it in the back of my car. New Year rolled around and I finally took it over. I will pay about $50 more in taxes for 2013 because I was lazy. 

Uggh--I also kept putting off returning library books to the tune of a $50 fine. 

$50 seems to be a theme this year...

I squirreled away some holiday money and now cannot find it. :)

I started listening to something online and then ds told me the headphones weren't plugged in...

I kept meaning to donate a bunch of stuff to a local charity, keeping it in the back of my car. New Year rolled around and I finally took it over. I will pay about $50 more in taxes for 2013 because I was lazy. 

Uggh--I also kept putting off returning library books to the tune of a $50 fine. 

$50 seems to be a theme this year...

Well Chris, if you want to get rid of another $50 you could send it to trulycrabby since she can't find her money. :001_tt2:

Ok, I'll confess to my ill thought out lunch plans today and it's all the Hives fault!

I've been sick so I made some taco soup which the kids love to eat but I also call it "Sticky Soup". 

(6 cloves of garlic, 2 onions, 1/3 cabbage, bay leaves, 1 pound ground beef, salsa, taco seasoning, 1 box of beef broth, some water and red pepper flakes.)

Then because of being to sick to actually teach, and hearing about a great history show we could watch online from others on the Hive,

I turned on Horrible Histories.

DD just about lost her lunch, I was heaving at one point and my son, well, he absolutely loved it!

I thought I was coming down with something. Later I realized that I'd forgotten to make my morning cup of tea and my addicted body was complaining. Here's the truly brilliant part. I made my son HIS cup of tea as usual, but not my own. Yep . . . to stupid to make tea and too stupid to count. I wish nothing was required of me before noon. It's mornings when I wish I had it in me to unschool.

I misjudged how deep of a puddle the trusty ol' Camry could drive through and killed it in the middle of an intersection. Thankfully, two awesome young men were right behind me in a delivery truck and pushed me off the road quickly. It started back up after 5 minutes. My ds said to dd, "See? This is why homeschooling is better than public school. You don't miss the adult adventures."

I foolishly allowed dds boyfriend to stay past 9pm during the week over Christmas break. They both go to bed around 10pm and he only lives a mile away so was so easy to allow 9:15 and then 9:30 to creep in and then it was quickly shifting to 10.  It is amazing how fast a one time bent rule quickly becomes the norm .  And the process to reset and put rules back into place....OY!  The angst! .  :0(

I foolishly allowed dds boyfriend to stay past 9pm during the week over Christmas break. They both go to bed around 10pm and he only lives a mile away so was so easy to allow 9:15 and then 9:30 to creep in and then it was quickly shifting to 10.  It is amazing how fast a one time bent rule quickly becomes the norm .  And the process to reset and put rules back into place....OY!  The angst! .  :0(

Give her a choice.  9pm willing or it now becomes 8pm.  :)  Stick to your guns Momma

DH always complains that I look down when I walk, so I have been trying hard to look up and around while walking. Today I was walking up the main street in the small town close to where I live and I was looking up and around everywhere. I walked straight into a post. I hit it with the side of my head hard enough that it made a big thump and people sitting outside a café all stopped their conversations and looked at me . If I had been looking down I am sure I would have seen the post

So uh...

I don't usually use boxed foods because I try to avoid MSG. I have been trying to organze the house quite a bit to get ready for dd's birthday extravaganza and so when Rice a roni was on sale for buy 1 get 1 free I thought I would pick some up to make meals a bit easier.

I tried to throw some in the crockpot with some chicken but it turned into a mushy mess.  :willy_nilly: 

I had to rinse off the chicken and find something else to do with it. :lol:

DH always complains that I look down when I walk, so I have been trying hard to look up and around while walking.

I once read that back and neck ache is associated with the modern tendency to look up, rather than down when walking - we're designed to be looking down at rough ground, rather than into the distance as we stride along sidewalks.

I've twice seen a (presumably poisonous) snake on the paved path while taking a walk around a nearby lake - I'm sticking to looking down, a few metres in front of me, it's working out well for me so far!

I once read that back and neck ache is associated with the modern tendency to look up, rather than down when walking - we're designed to be looking down at rough ground, rather than into the distance as we stride along sidewalks.

I've twice seen a (presumably poisonous) snake on the paved path while taking a walk around a nearby lake - I'm sticking to looking down, a few metres in front of me, it's working out well for me so far!

Love that. next time Dh complains about me looing down I will tell him I am saving my neck and back :lol:

I have to respectfully disagree with that.  I think our necks and backs are less stressed when our heads are looking forward.  Looking down places more stress on the muscles of the neck and upper back as they support the head in a non-neutral position.

Ideally, I think we should have our heads facing forward while we use our eyes to scan the ground in front of us.