Menu

Dry skin, dry climate

sassenach

I need help. Since moving back to California, I have not been able to find a moisturizer that can keep up with my dry, dry skin. Correction, I found an AMAZING skin line (Benedetta), but dh cannot stand the smell. I tried to see if he'd get over it, but any of you who live with or are sensory sensitive probably know how futile that was. It's just not good for my marriage if dh is repelled by the smell of my face.

I've tried: oil of Olay regenerist, Mary Kay, Clinique, este Lauder, hope in a jar and straight coconut oil. None of them can overcome my sandpaper cheeks.

I am desperate.

When I lived in a cold climate, I used straight coconut oil. The oil itself didn't protect my cheeks, it's ability to hold in the moisture is what worked - but for that it needed moisture. So I had to dampen my face first.

I used to travel by air every week, and it was super drying. I had to stay hydrated (lots of water) and I didn't like the feel of coconut oil as an everyday thing so I started to use this essential oil blend from my health food store. It had neroli in it, which was for drier skin. I rubbed it in morning and night.

I always keep unpetroleum jelly in my purse because my daughter bites her lips and they're always dry. In a pinch, I've rubbed this on my cheeks, too - but again, always after dampening my face first.

We have African friends. They will NOT dry off after a shower without rubbing baby oil all over their body.

I couldn't work out why they were so adamant about this, until they finally explained that shed skin looks white and it's not a good look on very dark skin.

We've learned to keep a big container of it in the bathroom.

I don't use it, but my skin tone is closer to dead skin than their's. Sounds attractive eh?

My sister keeps giving me moisturisers for my dried, scaggy face.

Occasionally I use one.

I've seen studies where they've shown very little difference between no-name supermarket brands and the most expensive. So go with unscented plain and be generous with it.

hth

This is unscented and has worked wonders for me. It says hand cream, but I (and others) do use it on the face. The package even says use anywhere dry skin is a problem. It has also helped my husband when nothing else did. He really manages well all winter with this, and most winters have been pure misery with his skin before we found it. My son doesn't seem to get a lot of benefit from it compared to his Waxalene, but Waxalene has a smell.

When I get desperate I cover my face with aquaphor before going to bed.  No scent, but it's kinda gross cause it's sticky like petroleum jelly.  My skin is always improved the next morning.   My doctor recommended it after telling me that's the only thing that worked for one of her kids.

I've got some on my eyelids right now b/c they got hit with wind and very cold temperatures yesterday and are flaking and a little irritated.

When I get desperate I cover my face with aquaphor before going to bed.  No scent, but it's kinda gross cause it's sticky like petroleum jelly.  My skin is always improved the next morning.   My doctor recommended it after telling me that's the only thing that worked for one of her kids.

I've got some on my eyelids right now b/c they got hit with wind and very cold temperatures yesterday and are flaking and a little irritated.

I was just about to suggest Aquaphor. There are generic versions, too. :)

Exfoliate the dry skin

Try a glycerine wash/mask (google for recipes... I just mix a few drops with a palmful of water and use organic vegetable glycerine from amazon)

Put moisturizer on wet/damp skin. I like cheap Cerave PM. I add a separate face cream with SPF in the morning.

I moved from Western Washington to Montana.  It is so dry here, plus the heat going all the time.  My lips were horrible and my feet are cracking.  I have always had beautiful feet.  I have Rosacea that I keep pretty good control on.  If I don't it gets out of hand.  I cannot have my cheeks start to crack or I will become a mess.  

I got a humidifier for the house and that is huge.  I am sensitive to smells and fragrance.  I get migraines from a lot of things.  I like Kiss My Face, Aveeno, Alba, and Neutrogena products.  I am using up the last of my Trader Joes Moisturizer.  It has a black lid.  I have no idea who makes it.  Usually I can figure out who makes a product for Trader Joes.  

You can, also, try almond, sesame or extra virgin olive oil at night.  You can even massage it into your dry face, like you are washing your skin.  Then rinse lightly with a warm towel.  Then apply some more.  Just do it enough prior to bedtime so you don't mess up your pillow case.  Extra Virgin Olive Oil is so much better than coconut oil on my skin.  Coconut oil seems to make me drier and I think that is probably my rosacea.  

Eucerin Original healing soothing repair cream

It's pricey, thick, greasy, and takes a while to rub in, but it works. 

A cheaper alternative that works almost as well is Vaseline. 

Don't bother with anything that doesn't feel greasy. 

And no hot showers. Warm showers are fine, but hot ones dry the skin.

Eucerin and Aquaphor are my go to favorites. I've also used copious amounts of olive oil. It's seems to work the best...plus I smell like Italian food. :)

Just lately I've started using an almond oil on my skin. Seems lighter and fresher.

My daughter has severe ecxema and aquaphor is the only over the counter ointment we can put on her. I've never used it on my face, but I've used it on my hands and feet and it's great.
That being said, this past November my skin was so dry it was very noticeable. I went to the Lancome counter to ask about moisturizers and she looked at me with pity and said,"Your skin is really really dry." True. I got a new cleanser, toner and moisturizer. I use the High Resolution moisturizing cream (it's anti-aging, which I don't need yet, but I guess I can count as a bonus...) and no more flakes. I mean my face was so dry it hurt throughout the day. This stuff has been great.
What are you using to cleanse? It could be adding to the drying.

Good luck!

First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream. http://www.sephora.com/ultra-repair-cream-P248407?skuId=1217744

I got a sample of this last month and it's really, really moisturizing. I don't recall a scent, though it may have had one. 

I also liked L'Occitane Firming and Smoothing Amande and Milk Concentrate. http://www.sephora.com/amande-firming-smoothing-milk-concentrate-P66703?skuId=763680. I LOVE this. It does smell almondy, but I personally liked the scent. 

I live in a dry climate and I use this shea butter from Target on my face - think it's around 10 bucks at Target.  I apply morning and night and often once or twice during the middle of the day (I keep one by the computer in the kitchen).  It works well.  (I don't typically wear makeup unless I'm going out in the evening, though I would wear this under makeup also if necessary.)

Coconut oil is not thick enough for me.  Eucarin was my old cream but it didn't quite do the trick either - this seems better.

Seems to have helped my wrinkles too.

I'd attack on all fronts. Monitor your water intake and make sure you're drinking enough. If you have to set a goal (I'll empty THIS pitcher every day), do it. Keep moisture in the air. Does your furnace have a humidifier? Did you turn it on? A crockpot full off water or a vaporizer can help. I have some spray-on oil that I use after a shower. I just use cheap lotion (TJs Midsummer Night's Creme) on my hands and face. I also use tinted moisturizer instead of a powder foundation when I bother with make-up.

If I do ALL of those things, I don't get itchy in the winter. If I start skimping in any one area (fluid intake, household humidity, moisturizing skin) I start to suffer.

I like Grape Seed extract and Jojoba oil. I have sensitive skin but the oils work great and I have no break outs from them. I also take a Red Krill supplement (fish oil) and that helps a lot.  

Just want to second the recs for the humidifier (makes a huge difference for me!) and the idea of moisturizing from within with krill oil. My skin has never been as dry as it was since I started taking fish and then krill oil.  I believe evening primrose oil is also supposed to be good for those with eczema, so it would probably be helpful for dry skin, too.

First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream works well and has no strong scent.  I can't stand that, either.  

Lately, though, I've switched to this treatment oil by Nude that has been a lifesaver.  I actually add a couple drops to my moisturizer and my skin looks great.  I'm using their cleansing oil, too.   It's the best line of skincare I've tried in a long time, and I've tried all of them.  I swear I think sometimes that I personally support the beauty care industry by myself.

Oh, my skin is very dry, and also very breakout prone.