Menu

Gift Ideas for the Hard to Buy For Parents

justkeepswimming

'Tis the season - I love my parents dearly, but they are impossible to shop for.  Whatever they want - they have it already.  They have no hobbies that need supplemented by our gifts.  In the past, we've bought tickets to the movies, shows, concerts, dinner theaters, and murder mystery theater for them. This year, there are no good concerts or shows coming to town soon, and the dinner theater/murder mystery theater gifts were too recent to recycle them again.

So - any suggestions for cool, generic gifts that you've seen?  I keep browsing online, hoping I'll see "just" the right thing that grabs my attention, but I've spent hourrrrrs already and time is growing short! 

They're relatively easy to please, so they're not being demanding or anything - we just want to get them something they'll have not thought to buy for themselves already!  :ph34r:

(and to think... they think dh and I are tough to shop for!  Hahahahahaaaa! They have no idea!!!! lol :willy_nilly: )

Heavy, lovely windchimes. It seems to be a gift no one buys for themselves, but everyone enjoys.

I did this for my mom this year. There are some absolutely divine windchimes out there. I wouldn't mind getting some myself. Now I have to figure out what to get for her husband. I told dh that if worse comes to worse, I'll get him a Duck Dynasty chia pet. ;)

Last year I put together a gift basket with local and artisan food products

You could give them a subscription to Audible or netflix if they don't have them already. My parents are kind of tricky. My mom is easy, but her husband is impossible. My dad just gets whatever he wants/needs and doesn't really want things. 

A night away somewhere would be nice. We "gave" my dad a night away with us in NYC last year for his birthday. It's in quotes because we haven't actually gone there yet....I'm going to stop asking him when he would like to go and just book it for this spring at this point. 

We went in with my brother and his wife to get my mom and her husband a new smart TV for their joint bday present this year (their birthdays are 2 months apart).

We're giving my MIL and her husband two tickets to Imax and a gift certificate for a yummy restaurant near the imax theater for Christmas.

Wine tasting class? 

I bought my brother and his wife a subscription to seed savers (really neat gardening company) and a gift certificate there last year. I bought my seeds there last year too and had some of the yummiest veggies I've ever grown. 

One year I made soup and froze it in servings for two--that was liked. I've given kitchen gadgets (special scraper paddle for kitchen aid 5 years ago and rolling pin with a cooled core last year) because my dad cooks. This year I've learned to crochet and I'm making scarves. There's a professional photographer at my dd's Nutcracker shows, if there is a shot of dd I may get one for them. Several years ago, when my mom had lost a lot of weight my sister and I got her some cute leggings and a sweater and a few other fashionable clothing items. Mom was shocked and thought she'd look awful, but when she tried all the stuff on she looked great and she was soooo pleased--it was a real boost to her to wear something "fashionable."

My parents are well off. They buy most everything they want or need. I am not in a position with an unlimited budget. Although some years I feel I could spend as much as $100+ I won't do it unless I am sure the present will be The Thing. For special anniversaries my brother and sister and have combined to do trips. My parents know the stresses in my life, financial and otherwise. I think they wouldn't be upset if I got the nothing, but I want to give them something and I want it to seem thoughtful.

A digital picture frame, loaded with pics of the kids and stuff?

This.   :)

I did this for our parents and they *loved* it.  Of course, I still have to show my mother how to get the pictures we email onto the flash drive to add more, but that is ok.  ;)

Another idea, any local.  In our small town we have an Olive Oil company with the most heavenly flavored oils...... they are wonderful.  I shipped an assortment to my father (lives 12 hours away) and he really, really liked them.  The next time he was in town he visited the Olive Oil Company and shipped more to his house!

My inlaws are impossible, too.  I looked through this list hopeful I'd see something for them, but no.  I have tried nearly everything on this list, or know they won't like it.  

They do have a keurig so sometimes we give them a coffee pod assortment.  That seems to go over OK.   Some years we have given wild bird related stuff - a new feeder or something like that - as they do like to feed the wild birds.

This year my MIL is getting battery-operated candles and my FIL is getting an emergency lantern.  We're calling it the Christmas of Light.  They probably won't like the gifts - they are pretty lame and I'm the one who bought them! - but we've come to the conclusion that there's nothing we can do about that.

(They are not nasty people, but rather dull, and very set in their ways.  They don't enjoy food, don't read, don't watch movies, don't like to cook.  In the past a cookbook was considered offensive because it implied she needed help cooking.  I'm not kidding.) 

We just do restaurant gift certificates for the big gift (plus photos of kids, always books for little gifts). There's a very nice restaurant in my home town for which I get a gift certificate for my Dad and his wife. Any dinner there is a lovely occasion. My in-laws are getting Olive Garden which they love and is more their style. We once got them a digital photo frame loaded with pics of the kids. We visited a month later and it was unplugged! I think they think of it as wasting electricity to run all the time. Needless to say we haven't gone through the trouble of updating the pics.

I posted this in another thread about what I got my hard to buy for dad:

"I am extremely excited about the unique gift we have for my father!!! His token gifts each year are sugar free candies and books. Hard.to.shop.for. Has everything, needs or wants nothing.

A gal on fb mentioned her son was accepted to Kettering University in Michigan, which used to be General Motors Institute back in the day. My dad is a GMI alum so I got a great idea to hit ebay for some GMI memorabilia and hit the jackpot!!! I found an original, unused GMI application, application booklet and envelope (there is a name on the label) circa 1960. Not the same year my father would have applied but very close and I can't imagine the application and booklet changing much in a couple years time span. So I ordered it! And I'm also going to type on a label with my dad's name and address from where he lived when he was in high school. Sooo...when he opens the gift, it will look like the GMI application packet was addressed to him!! I'm hoping it will bring him a flood of fond memories. 

I'm really excited about this!!! :hurray:"

So...what about something sentimental?

I'm going to the local butcher shop and getting my parents a variety of meat.  I don't know if that is a 'grab you' kind of gift but it's what I'm doing this year :)

Consumables are great! My parents don't want 'stuff', so this is the sort of thing they would enjoy. I have done something similar for years. It's usually for something they like but wouldn't normally treat themselves to.

Four years ago we "gifted" my parents each a $25 gift card to Kiva- the microloan program.  My mom is still giving off of that $50 gift card.  She chooses a recipient, gets paid back, and then gifts to another one.   Everytime she gets paid back and gets to give it again she gets so excited.  It really was the best gift we ever gave.

Four years ago we "gifted" my parents each a $25 gift card to Kiva- the microloan program.  My mom is still giving off of that $50 gift card.  She chooses a recipient, gets paid back, and then gifts to another one.   Everytime she gets paid back and gets to give it again she gets so excited.  It really was the best gift we ever gave.

That is a neat idea.  Well, my in-laws wouldn't like it so I can't use the idea, but I like it.  I'd never heard of such a thing. 

I'm going to the local butcher shop and getting my parents a variety of meat.  I don't know if that is a 'grab you' kind of gift but it's what I'm doing this year :)

Consumables are great! My parents don't want 'stuff', so this is the sort of thing they would enjoy. I have done something similar for years. It's usually for something they like but wouldn't normally treat themselves to.

This is kinda what I am doing this year. My parents are in the process of downsizing (they plan on putting their very big house on the market in the next year or so) and so don't want more "stuff"

My mom is getting GloLite candles and my dad is getting Tassimo pods for his coffee maker.

Next year I think I will do something like Kiva or give to some charity in their name.

Oooh, great ideas so far, thanks!

We've used a ton of them in recent years (I'd forgotten til I saw them written down here, got excited for a minute, then remembered we already did that recently, lol) - but the meat idea is a new one! We definitely might do that this year.

I also just spent an hour looking for sentimental things - my dad has been decorating his "man cave" with memorabilia from days gone by - but I'm coming up empty.  Things from old places where he's worked (power plants, auto plants) - the place where they first met... but nothing yet. Going to google some more this evening.

So - still looking, but inspired!

That is a neat idea.  Well, my in-laws wouldn't like it so I can't use the idea, but I like it.  I'd never heard of such a thing. 

Yes, it's definitely not for all people.  We gave the same gift to my in-laws that year.  They did not appreciate it.  At all.  Now for the last several years we've been sending them a gift pack from Nueske's meats.  The meat they can appreciate, though they make sure to let us know which parts of the gift baskets they really like, and which parts they don't.   Nueske's really does make the best bacon in the world!

Y'all are so lucky to have parents who like food gifts.  I mean it.  My inlaws eat because they need to in order to live.  The only food gifts they ever seem to enjoy are things like jam and honey. But last time we visited them their fridge door was packed with partly-filled jars of jam and honey.  (No, they are not losing it and starting to hoard.  They just don't waste food.)  So, no more of that! 

My mom is in her mid 70's and lives in a small place.  I try to give her things that don't take up space.  This year, I'm giving 3 items that I use and like:

For planting flowers and pulling weeds, a hori hori knife.   My very favorite gardening tool--I've gotten rid of every trowel I owned.

For watering flowers outside her townhouse door:  Pocket Hose.  I don't actually own this, so I hope it's as good as the commercials claim!

My mom doesn't use her dishwasher, so I'm getting her this dish drying mat.  I love mine!

Do they have good kitchen knives?

My dad is hard to shop for also and I got him some Cutco. Yes, they are expensive but they do have smaller things. For instance, their scissors and vegetable peeler are the very best and are, in my opinion, priced in the average gift range. Plus the life time guarantee is nice as well. My brother and I went in together and got my dad the scissors, peeler, paring knife and a sharpener. Honestly, the peeler is so gosh darn amazing!!

(P.S. I don't work for Cutco, I swear! I truly love and believe in their products.)

My mom has everything she could ever want.  My dad died at 59 and left her comfortable, so it has always been hard to buy gifts for her.  However, when she was younger, she was an RN/surgical nurse and never did much cooking - especially homemade desserts.  So, one year she asked me if I would mind not buying her a gift, but to just send her some of my home baked cookies.  I was thrilled!  Finally, something she really liked and couldn't provide for herself.

So, now each year for Christmas, I bake about 7-8 different types of cookies and include some different types of quick breads, pack them in a decorative tin and mail them to her.  She is always so happy to get the box and calls me right away to say that she's brewing some tea to have with her first cookies. She ends up with 70-80 cookies in her tin.

The only downside is that she lives in a small apartment built onto my older brother's house.  He started going to her apartment to get cookies from her (neither he nor his wife cook either so now they, my younger brother, and my oldest daughter have now been added to the great cookie mailing.  It's quite funny because now everyone has their favorite cookie and want to make sure that kind is included.  I used to try to vary them each year; now I just include everyone's favorites.

In fact just today I finished all my baking, boxed up and addressed all the tins, and I'm ready to mail them off tomorrow.  The great part about it is that I make so many darn cookies that we always have plenty for us for Christmas too!  I bake two different kinds each weekend leading up to the last couple weeks before Christmas and store them in the freezer.

It was a gorgeous day to finish up because we had a snow storm with 12" of snow.  It was nice and cozy inside baking with the woodstove blazing and the Christmas tree lit up; drinking tea as I baked.  Hubby even helped by drizzling chocolate over some of them.  DD assisted as taste tester.

Do you think a tin of cookies might be appreciated by your parents?

My dad is pretty impossible.  Sometimes I give him a photo of my girls in a nice frame, and a gift card to an outdoorsman or hardware store.  Sometimes a nice Christmas tree ornament.  Sometimes a new wallet - they don't last forever.  He's already received enough multi-tools and flashlight gizmos to last until he's on his third life.  ;)

I would suggest something nice to eat unless, like my dad, he has diabetes and high blood pressure ....

Hey - what about a family photo turned into a painting, or something like that?  Or does he already have three of those?

The only downside is that she lives in a small apartment built onto my older brother's house.  He started going to her apartment to get cookies from her (neither he nor his wife cook either so now they, my younger brother, and my oldest daughter have now been added to the great cookie mailing.  It's quite funny because now everyone has their favorite cookie and want to make sure that kind is included.  I used to try to vary them each year; now I just include everyone's favorites.

Ok, this is funny!  So what are their favs and the cookies you're putting in your tin?  I haven't been much of a cookie maker for my family, so maybe I should reform!   :drool5: 

That's awesome!  Do you think teens would enjoy this?

Ok, this is funny!  So what are their favs and the cookies you're putting in your tin?  I haven't been much of a cookie maker for my family, so maybe I should reform!   :drool5: 

I made:

1. Russian tea cookies
  2. Peanut butter balls
  3. Oatmeal cookies (I put in raisins, craisins, coconut, & nuts)
  4. Shaped, decorated sugar cookies
  5. Peanut butter cookies w/chocolate drizzled on top
  6. Colonial cookies some dipped in chocolate; some plain (Mom likes plain)
  7. Mini banana breads w/streusel-nut topping (8 of those)

I guess I didn't make as many as I thought, but their tins were full and I couldn't fit anymore into their boxes.  They'll each get 60 cookies and 2 breads. That's still pretty good.

I made:

1. Russian tea cookies
  2. Peanut butter balls
  3. Oatmeal cookies (I put in raisins, craisins, coconut, & nuts)
  4. Shaped, decorated sugar cookies
  5. Peanut butter cookies w/chocolate drizzled on top
  6. Colonial cookies some dipped in chocolate; some plain (Mom likes plain)
  7. Mini banana breads w/streusel-nut topping (8 of those)

I guess I didn't make as many as I thought, but their tins were full and I couldn't fit anymore into their boxes.  They'll each get 60 cookies and 2 breads. That's still pretty good.

Ooo yum!  I woke up thinking about this and hoping to see your reply.  :D  What are colonial cookies?  So are your recipes super fab and special or just something I'll find an equivalent to when I google/allrecipes?  Clearly I don't make enough cookies, lol.  And putting the chocolate on the p-butter cookies is brilliant!  My dh isn't really a fan of them, but he would be with chocolate on top, hehe...

I don't know if they are active or would enjoy it but several people in our area are talking about giving their parents/in-laws a sligh ride or horse drawn carriage ride. You could combine that with a gift certificate for dinner to make a very nice evening/afternoon.

That's awesome!  Do you think teens would enjoy this?

I think it depends on the teen, but really, anyone could have fun with this one.  You get to take your time reading up on all the different projects looking for microloans and pick the one that most speaks to you.  Eventually you get paid back- and you also can follow their progress and see how they're doing.  Then when you get paid back you get to do it all over again- choose another project to fund and see where it goes.   You can really pick parts of the world and projects that speak to you.  It's amazing to see how just $25 can make such a difference for someone.

I think it depends on the teen, but really, anyone could have fun with this one.  You get to take your time reading up on all the different projects looking for microloans and pick the one that most speaks to you.  Eventually you get paid back- and you also can follow their progress and see how they're doing.  Then when you get paid back you get to do it all over again- choose another project to fund and see where it goes.   You can really pick parts of the world and projects that speak to you.  It's amazing to see how just $25 can make such a difference for someone.

This sounds really interesting to me.  It'll have to check it out.  We usually donate to VOM, World Vision, and Operation Christmas Child each year. This sounds like fun.

We always struggle with this for my in-laws. This year I made them a movie box...they love movies and anything relaxing but need nothing. So the box contains a gift card to our local movie theater, a gift card to a local older theater that shows older movies, a redbox gift card, a DVD set of a tv show they like but started after the first season (so i got them season 1), couple boxes of "movie candy", and some gourmet popcorn. Oh and some plastic popcorn holders from targets dollar spot. Hope they like it!

Ooo yum!  I woke up thinking about this and hoping to see your reply.   :D  What are colonial cookies?  So are your recipes super fab and special or just something I'll find an equivalent to when I google/allrecipes?  Clearly I don't make enough cookies, lol.  And putting the chocolate on the p-butter cookies is brilliant!  My dh isn't really a fan of them, but he would be with chocolate on top, hehe...

I don't think they're super fab, just recipes that I tweak a little - like the oatmeal cookies.  The recipe calls for 1/2 cup of raisins, and I change it to 1/4 c raisins, 1/4 c craisins, 1/4 c nuts and 1/4 c coconut.

The colonial cookies I got from Great American Recipes cards.  They are a variation of shortbread cookies (Mom's favorite).

For 3 doz. cookies: (according to them - I doubled the recipe)

• 1c butter, room temperature
  • 2/3c powdered sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 2c all purpose flour
  1. Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla until very light and fluffy. Add the flour gradually, mixing until well blended
  2. Chill dough in the freezer for 30 minutes
  3. Roll out a third of the dough at a time, keeping remaining dough chilled (I just left it all out because it was in my fridge for a day)
  4. Onto a lightly floured board, gently roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut with a 2 1/2" round cookie cutter (or smaller for more cookies)
  5. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Prick tops with a fork, making a pattern of 3 rows of 4 dots.
  6. Continue rolling out dough using scraps, mixing the warm scraps with the chilled dough.
  7. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes (because mine were smaller, they took less time - keep an eye on them) until just barely browned.
  8. Remove to rack to cool completely.

After they are cooled, you can dip them in chocolate or do chocolate swirls on them.  Enjoy!

I made my MIL and SIL fleece photo collage blankets. Walmart photo had them buy one get one free.

That will be great for MIL, she loves anything with pics of the kids. I need to get her something else but she's pretty easy to buy for and very appreciative.

FIL, I have no idea. He's boring and grouchy. He doesn't care about the kids, just his two dogs. He likes to fish but he NEVER actually goes fishing.

The only thing he does do (besides watching 24 hour news channels) is go to coffee every morning with other grouchy old men.

what do they like to do, do they have any hobbies?  How do they decorate their home?  do they like to rent movies (home movie gift basket - dvds, popcorn, candy, fun popcorn bowl, plus snuggies or a throw blanket)?  Are they fans of any sports teams - sports crap is so easy to find.

Things I have given to my dad & step-mom:

nice sherpa throw blanket

lobstergram

Harry & David gift basket (didn't go over well)

chocolate covered strawberries from berries.com

monogrammed barware

digital picture frame

digital scrapbook

This monogrammed cutting board is their main gift this year.

for my Mom -

warm pjs

scarf

hat & gloves to match her winter coat

gift card to her favorite coffee shop

gift card to her pottery studio

home manicure kit (didn't go over well)

silk thermal underwear

digital scrapbook

I get my parents/in-laws gift certificates to restaurants near them. I have also given them movie passes. That is always a big hit.

I have given a couple pounds of their favorite coffee, I have given Starbucks gift certificates.... Oh, I know, for my in-laws they have enjoyed tickets to their local theatre. They can see any play within the next calendar year. I could also do the local symphony, but they are members and can go whenever they want.

My mom doesn't live in a big city so no theatre (which she likes) or symphony (which she doesn't).

I just finished ordering restaurant certificates this morning and I went off, telling my boys that when I am old I don't want them to get my anything. Heck, I don't let them get me anything now. I really meant it when I say that I don't want a thing. I don't want them pulling out their hair and spending $$ they shouldn't to get me something just to have it done.

My mom likes getting gifts and she will never say not to get her a thing, lol. I am happy to do it because I know she likes it. With my ILs it is all about proper form and custom. They don't want anything and they certainly don't need a thing. They don't put a single thought into what they get for anyone else. It is all obligation and duty. DH and I spend the evening laughing about whatever crappy gift they give us. I try to get them something at least useful to model appropriate gift giving behaviour. A lost cause, I know, but I don't want to stoop to their level.

My grandmother used to ask us to pick out a Christmas Card just for her.  She didn't want gifts, but she sure did treasure those cards and "love notes" inside of them. She kept every single one and her boys just about had a fit when she moved and she wanted all those cards moved too!  Boxes upon boxes of them.  It was hilarious!