Menu

A few of my favorite things about Xmas season

Murphy101

Mass

Joy to the World

Hand bell choirs

Snow days where everyone is justified and guilt free to not show up for school/work or do any errands and can just sit at home taking turns playing in the snow and roasting s'mores in the fireplace and falling asleep while watching a family movie.

That when my kids hit the road, shovels in hand, to make some extra money shoveling snow, a new neighbor paid double plus tip and told them to do the old man's next door too.

A Christmas Story

Tacky Christmas outdoor decor (I'm proud to say I have a 5ft naked Santa bath-brushing his back in a bathtub while Rudolf looks on blown up on my front lawn. We look forward to adding outhouse Santa next year. Oh and I want the light up pink flying pigs too.)

Your turn!

This is our first real year celebrating Christmas within the Catholic church and right now I love Advent!!

I also love...

That I get two weeks with my dds and no school.

Making Christmas cookies

Christmas Eve dinner with leftovers that last through Christmas Day (and beyond)

Cool thread idea, Martha! :hurray: I'll see your list and raise you:

Shopping.

More shopping.

Wrapping presents.

Giving presents.

Decorating the house and the tree.

Special foods, desserts, and candies.

Christmas songs (except for the ones I don't like!)

Christmas classics on TV (and yes, I mean the Grinch...)

I'll play.

This is the 8th year in which I have done a baking workshop with 4-Hers, sharing one of our family traditions with others.  This is absolutely one of my favorite things of the holiday season.  During some of the down time as we are waiting for dough to rise or ovens to preheat, we talk about our family Christmas traditions. I love hearing what is special to these kids and hope that they grow up continuing to feel surrounded by love and wonder.

I love Christmas music. Not the schlocky radio stuff but choral music like Britten's Ceremony of Carols or the operetta Amahl and the Night Visitors.  In fact, it annoys me that every weekend of December seems to bring a conflict of music programs.  I wish that churches and choruses would continue to perform holiday music in January so I could enjoy more of it.

Sadie--seafood is part of our coastal Christmas   For decades we had cheese fondue on Christmas Eve until two years ago when my son confessed that he really doesn't like cheese fondue.  Now on Christmas Eve we have shrimp cooked in a spicy beer broth in the fondue pot. 

P.S. to Heather:  eggnog with rum!  This reminds me of my mother who died six years ago.  Just be sure to top your eggnog with some nutmeg.  Yum!

Making toffee.

Appetizers for dinner.

Reading The Story of Holly and Ivy with my teen daughter - her request.

Rediscovering favorite ornaments.

Christmas music.  Well, some of it.  

Christmas Eve service at church.

The Nutcracker.   I'd seen it done professionally many times but after having kids was limited to small dance school productions. This year, finally, I'm taking my daughter to the PA ballet for her first professional performance. So excited! 

the high-waisted pants dance in White Christmas, a movie I watch every year

Christmas trees

remembering my grandparents who are no longer here and the Christmases spent with cousins when I was a kid

desserts

potlucks and parties

my ModCloth dress I'll be wearing to the company Christmas party

carols

Advent - specifically Jotham's Journey series

St. Nicholas Day

Christmas Around the World with Friends

Matching Christmas PJs

Christmas Carols at church each week

Lights

Family Traditions (make an ornament with Nana, have Japanese soda on Christmas Eve, etc.)

Elf - love that movie!

Looking at our decorated trees

Watching Christmas Vacation repeatedly

Having an excuse to drink White Russians in the middle of the week, because you know, it's the holiday season :)

Looking at Christmas lights in our pj's while eating cookies and drinking hot chocolate

Hot chocolate, frequently

Seeing my kids really enjoy the Jesse tree and their advent calendars (Lego and Playmobil)

Cookies!  All kinds, but especially fudge puddles, yummy!

Spending time with cousins

Shopping for presents.
Watching people open presents.
Decorating our house on the day after Thanksgiving.
Cookies.

Dressing up and going to extra parties.
Christmas movies and music.
Christmas Eve service.

Visit from my parents or visiting family.

Dh having off from Christmas to New Years.

Writing Christmas Cards.

Reading the letters & seeing the photos that come in Christmas cards.

Christmas eve service

the kids eyes when they see the presents under the tree xmas morning

going out to see the lights

most christmas carols

all the yummy treats. 

How kind and caring everyone is.  I wish it carried on all year, but I love seeing how people want to take care of their fellow man this time of year.

Having time off of work, the daycare is closed for the 2 weeks of xmas break, and the diner is closed for 5 nights of that time, so that means more time home.

Chinese food xmas eve (the only time I get it, too expensive otherwise)

THe big meal on xmas day with a glass of wine (one of only 3 I drink in the year)

Without a gallbladder you cannot have rum anymore. Sooo sorry...:) :leaving:

Um. Yes I can. Not for a few weeks of course bc my body is recovering from surgery, but otherwise I can eat and drink anything I want like normal?

I even asked (bc I was thinking if all the food and wine that is often serves with the upcoming holidays ) dr very specificly if I needed to make any diet changes or if wine or beer were verboten and he said no. Said I could drink in moderation same as always. Dh says he said something like "A beer or 1-2 glasses of wine with dinners kind of drinking shouldn't be a problem."

Um. Yes I can. Not for a few weeks of course bc my body is recovering from surgery, but otherwise I can eat and drink anything I want like normal?

I even asked (bc I was thinking if all the food and wine that is often serves with the upcoming holidays ) dr very specificly if I needed to make any diet changes or if wine or beer were verboten and he said no. Said I could drink in moderation same as always. Dh says he said something like "A beer or 1-2 glasses of wine with dinners kind of drinking shouldn't be a problem."

I was just pulling your leg Martha. Didn't want you to get too rummy while you are recovering from surgery...just looking out for you. :)

Tacky Christmas outdoor decor (I'm proud to say I have a 5ft naked Santa bath-brushing his back in a bathtub while Rudolf looks on blown up on my front lawn. We look forward to adding outhouse Santa next year. Oh and I want the light up pink flying pigs too.)

Your turn!

I'm stunned. This is Pretty Flowers Avatar Martha? :D

I love Christmas lights, Advent Sundays with the wreath and candles, and Lessons and Carols services, Once In Royal David's City.

Oh, and watching my kids "play" with the Christmas tree, just like I did as a child.

Oh for crying...

I was all, "well crap what am I going to do with this case of Chardonnay?!"

Totally fell for it.

I won't get too rummy. I don't much care for that stuff excepting the rare time I use it in a recipe. I prefer a nice glass of Chardonnay at the end of the day a few times a week.

I'm stunned. This is Pretty Flowers Avatar Martha? :D

I love Christmas lights, Advent Sundays with the wreath and candles, and Lessons and Carols services, Once In Royal David's City.

Oh, and watching my kids "play" with the Christmas tree, just like I did as a child.

Well I'll change that for the season....

My children's excitement about all of it. 

My dh always takes the week off between Christmas and New Year's where we all do nothing but be together.  This year it works out to about two weeks off.  Can't wait.  

The song "O, Holy Night".  When done well, it brings me to tears every time.  

Our choir at church that is so incredible it makes you feel like you are in the presence of angels

Family time.  

A Muppet Christmas Carol

The Wildlights event at the zoo

Bell Ringers.  I have wonderful memories of activities at the Salvation Army from when I was a child.  I always carry extra cash at Christmas time and will put money in every kettle I see.