Menu

A man had to invent Thanksgiving

Moxie

Football is the best part of Thanksgiving!!!  :D

He invented white tile and grout in the kitchen, too.

And he designed bathrooms.  No female would ever put the toilet that close to a wall, where you couldn't easily clean around it.  Dirtiest spot in the house, and the hardest to clean. 

Both of these, though... a man was definitely responsible!  :toetap05:  <_<

No woman would have ever said, "Hey, here's a great idea. A holiday that entails that you have to spend a week planning, at least a day cooking, and then half a day washing dishes, all for only one meal. Oh, and it should have football."

I'm tired.

My husband was telling me last night that no woman complains about cooking Thanksgiving dinner (he was attempting to insult me after an argument about his not helping when I asked). I laughed in his face and thanked him for telling me what women think.

Next year, I am putting my kids in charge of Thanksgiving.  Just to be on the safe side, if they don't make a feast, I am going to make reservations for DH and me.

This, along with being in charge of Christmas this year, will teach my sons what it is like to be in charge of preparing a holiday for a family.    If they don't do something, nothing will happen.  If they do nothing, they get another opportunity the following year.  I hope they rise to the occasion, so to speak.

Whatever happens, I am going to make sure that DD does not do all the work; just 25% of it.  I don't see it as work when others in the family participate.  Maybe they won't either.

Next year, I am putting my kids in charge of Thanksgiving.  Just to be on the safe side, if they don't make a feast, I am going to make reservations for DH and me.

This, along with being in charge of Christmas this year, will teach my sons what it is like to be in charge of preparing a holiday for a family.    If they don't do something, nothing will happen.  If they do nothing, they get another opportunity the following year.  I hope they rise to the occasion, so to speak.

Whatever happens, I am going to make sure that DD does not do all the work; just 25% of it.  I don't see it as work when others in the family participate.  Maybe they won't either.

Two years ago, I told the kids (late teens all) that they were each responsible for cooking one dish, and that they would take turns in the kitchen preparing it, and that I would be there all day to consult and work on other things.  Since then I've trimmed that back to everyone prepares a dish, myself included. Yesterday my resident putz wrangled it so he didn't lift a finger.  He'll be fixing and cleaning up our Sunday evening meal.  (Normally we tag team so someone cooks and another cleans up.)

No woman would have ever said, "Hey, here's a great idea. A holiday that entails that you have to spend a week planning, at least a day cooking, and then half a day washing dishes, all for only one meal. Oh, and it should have football."

I'm tired.

I've often thought that about camping - a "vacation" without my regular stove, sink, dishwasher and washing machine, where I'm still expected to cook and clean.

Next year, I am putting my kids in charge of Thanksgiving. Just to be on the safe side, if they don't make a feast, I am going to make reservations for DH and me.

This year each of my girls made a pie. They are still young so I had to supervise closely but I'm learning I need to train them to help if I want real help later on!

I don't mind the cooking. Because I cook all the time anyway, Thanksgiving doesn't feel like that much work. I make mashed potatoes frequently so that isn't a big deal, the turkey is easy to slap in the oven. The other stuff is thrown together and put into the oven towards the end--roasted vegetables, sweet potatoes. I try to keep the recipes simple. Cleaning up, however. Ugh! Although I suppose I have myself to blame for that this year. For whatever reason I didn't have the kids do it. I was almost done with the dishes and thought, "gee, that was stupid!" Lol

Camping? Yes, I've definitely though that about camping!! I'm doing all the work while everyone else is fishing and exploring. And then everyone whines when dinner takes so long. Grrrrr.....

Well, the result of our little argument was that he's doing the entire thing, so I'm good! We went to our friends' house yesterday and DH was upset he wouldn't have leftovers so wanted his own meal today. Since I "complained," he decided to do it himself and ban me from the kitchen. He is teaching me a lesson about how easy it is. He spent four hours in there last night and is in there again this morning. I'm in bed. I'm learning.

I had the easiest Thanksgiving ever! The hubby and his out-of-town brother wanted to surprise their mother by getting everyone togeather. The hubby bought a slow-roasted mesquite grilled Turkey from a friend with a smoker, brother-in-law brought the sides and pies, and nieces and nephews. I am thankful for this great Thanksgiving. I made some last minute brown gravy at MIL's request. I like cooking, but this was even better.

Luckily that was not my experience.  Nobody here likes football.  DH helped with dishes, prep, and serving.  I made the same meal I make every year so no planning of anything was involved.  It was another day with extra good food and I bothered to set the table.

I have to admit to being a bit perplexed what everyone is spending up to a week planning.  :confused1:   Our menu never varies.  I just have to remember it's Thanksgiving week when I go shopping.  Every year I make the same three pies for my mom's, and dh makes cranberry orange relish.  Mom does the turkey, gravy, stuffing and a couple of veggies; brother brings the mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and SIL sometimes brings a pecan pie because I don't make one.  Everyone knows what they're doing; rinse and repeat.  Are you all planning some kind of shi-shi Thanksgiving dinner where you make gourmet sides that change every year???

We do it all again for his family tomorrow, and I'm doing the main course, since I'm hosting.  I'm doing turkey, gravy, stuffing, potatoes and roasted squash.  I haven't even bought the turkey yet - I'll get it this afternoon.  I will probably peel and cube the squash tonight, but the rest I'm not starting till tomorrow morning.  Just have to clean this pit (but I'm viewing that as a good thing, since it needs cleaning, and I do better with deadlines).

We usually have group clean-up.  Yesterday at mom's my brother, SIL and I took turns washing, drying, and putting away dishes.  Dh usually does most of the clean-up for his family's dinner (since I do most of the cooking).  He usually doesn't get to the counter and stove, but the dishes are done without me.

And thanks be to heaven, no one on either side of the family cares about football.  We just hang out and talk and eat. Sometimes a game is played - but usually just conversation.  No TV.  And no Black Friday.... shudder.

A man designed the toilet to have all those nooks and crannys at the base.   Really?     What's wrong with smooth sides?   It would be SO MUCH EASIER to clean. 

We just got a new toilet with smooth sides! They make them now. I've been waiting for years for someone to get that bright idea. Woot!

My husband was telling me last night that no woman complains about cooking Thanksgiving dinner (he was attempting to insult me after an argument about his not helping when I asked). I laughed in his face and thanked him for telling me what women think.

When I was a child, I noticed that this was true at all holidays: the men were in the living room watching TV and the women were working their butts off in the kitchen, before and after dinner .  I was pre-complaining!

Now, though, I do usually assign my younger boys (who like to cook) to do that cranberry sauce and pies. Dh usually does the mashed potatoes, which I really hate to do. Now that I've learned that one doesn't have to, indeed should NOT wash the turkey for sanitary reasons, that chore is much easier. So it's all pretty reasonable at this point.

And he designed bathrooms.  No female would ever put the toilet that close to a wall, where you couldn't easily clean around it.  Dirtiest spot in the house, and the hardest to clean. 

You don't enjoy that intimate embrace and near kiss of your porcelain love to get to the part behind it?

I've often thought that about camping - a "vacation" without my regular stove, sink, dishwasher and washing machine, where I'm still expected to cook and clean.

DH and I had this conversation a few years ago. Now, he tries to make sure I have one full day (or a good block of time) where I'm duty free. I enjoy my "vacations" so much more.

We did invent it, but I don't remember giving any of you permission to step out of the kitchen, so what's with all the posting?

LOL!   Feeling fortified by your meal, eh?  All stuffed???   :lol:

We had our usual Thanksgiving meal and then went like fools to evening pre Black Friday deals.    My hubby had never been and was shocked!!!!  The kids and I had a great time laughing at him and the crazy. Then we came home and feasted again on Thanksgiving.   Two Dinners for the price of one!!!

Camping is not a vacation.  It's an anti-vacation.

I'm not picky, I don't need expensive, but vacation = I don't cook, I don't clean.

I have to admit to being a bit perplexed what everyone is spending up to a week planning.  :confused1:  

Well I can't speak for everyone, but I'm just assuming that most people spend a little time making a shopping list (because who eats turkey, stuffing, pies, etc. on a regular basis), figuring out when to shop (keeping in mind that you can't do same-day shopping if you forget something), tidying the house, packing if you have go somewhere, and that kind of stuff. It doesn't take up every moment of the week, but starting a week in advance can cut down on the stress.

Going back to that man thing. If men prepared the Thanksgiving meal they probably wouldn't plan a week in advance, and when they discovered that the stores are closed Thursday, the meal would be take-out. :tongue_smilie:

*snicker* Dh doesn't trust me with food while camping. Before we started dating, I showed up at a group camping trip with only an apple and a bagel to eat for dinner. He was horrified. 20 years later and he still takes over the cooking while camping. :rofl:

Hmm. Yeah. Tell him to talk to my husband - who did all the cooking (because I wanted to just order from Honey Baked Ham again, lol).

Well, the result of our little argument was that he's doing the entire thing, so I'm good! We went to our friends' house yesterday and DH was upset he wouldn't have leftovers so wanted his own meal today. Since I "complained," he decided to do it himself and ban me from the kitchen. He is teaching me a lesson about how easy it is. He spent four hours in there last night and is in there again this morning. I'm in bed. I'm learning.

Let us know the result of his lesson! :D

You don't enjoy that intimate embrace and near kiss of your porcelain love to get to the part behind it?

No, we didn't invent toilet placement. If we did, the whole thing would hinge off the wall and every bathroom would have a floor drain to work with the Mr. Pressure Washer in the hall closet. Families with at least two sons would get trough urinals. Stainless steel.

This year each of my girls made a pie. They are still young so I had to supervise closely but I'm learning I need to train them to help if I want real help later on!

I don't mind the cooking. Because I cook all the time anyway, Thanksgiving doesn't feel like that much work. I make mashed potatoes frequently so that isn't a big deal, the turkey is easy to slap in the oven. The other stuff is thrown together and put into the oven towards the end--roasted vegetables, sweet potatoes. I try to keep the recipes simple. Cleaning up, however. Ugh! Although I suppose I have myself to blame for that this year. For whatever reason I didn't have the kids do it. I was almost done with the dishes and thought, "gee, that was stupid!" Lol

Camping? Yes, I've definitely though that about camping!! I'm doing all the work while everyone else is fishing and exploring. And then everyone whines when dinner takes so long. Grrrrr.....

Aluminum pans, baby!  This year I decided I'd been stupid most of my adult life.  I bought aluminum foil pans from the grocery story and cooked in those.  Even the green beans went into a foil pan and into the oven.

In the end I had to wash the roasting pan, one cast iron skillet (for the stuffing onions and celery) and one large pot (for boiling potatoes).  Easy-peasy. 

Even if we have guests next year I'm still baking in the foil pans.  I can put the food into pretty serving dishes and still throw away (or recycle if you have nearby facilities) instead of scrubbing pots and pans.

Well I can't speak for everyone, but I'm just assuming that most people spend a little time making a shopping list (because who eats turkey, stuffing, pies, etc. on a regular basis), figuring out when to shop (keeping in mind that you can't do same-day shopping if you forget something), tidying the house, packing if you have go somewhere, and that kind of stuff. It doesn't take up every moment of the week, but starting a week in advance can cut down on the stress.

Going back to that man thing. If men prepared the Thanksgiving meal they probably wouldn't plan a week in advance, and when they discovered that the stores are closed Thursday, the meal would be take-out. :tongue_smilie:

My neighbor had an emergency c-section a few days go.  The new dad forgot to go to the market.  New mom came home the day before yesterday evening to an empty kitchen.  Luckily I thought to call and ask her about thanksgiving. (I shared half our stuff with them) Seems he thought he could just run to the market yesterday and pick up a pre-cooked turkey meal.   Silly new dad.

No, we didn't invent toilet placement. If we did, the whole thing would hinge off the wall and every bathroom would have a floor drain to work with the Mr. Pressure Washer in the hall closet. Families with at least two sons would get trough urinals. Stainless steel.

My DS wants a urinal (or kernel as he used to call them) at home. When he first started going to the men's room by himself he would come out and give me a full description of the urinals.

My dad does most of the cooking. My mom makes the mashed potatoes because she doesn't like the way my dad mashes them. My sister and I contribute to he desserts. Anyone who shows up early runs the risk of being conscripted to peel potatoes and make the salad (this year it ended up being my dads collegue with girlfriend, they don't know about the Thanksgiving tactics yet :D)

One small bathroom I used in Denmark was floor the ceiling tile. It had a toilet, sink, and shower head. Since the bathroom was small everything in the bathroom was waterproof and the shower head was just on the wall. It could have been cleaned with a presure washer. 

I have a small bathroom with a shower sink and toilet and all tiled. When I clean it I simply spray bathroom cleaner on it and hose it down :D

My DH cooks thanksgiving dinner. He started years ago because I usually had to work that day at the hospital. I'm a sahm now, but he still cooks all the holiday dinners. I think he likes it. He is into disposable pans, and paper plates, so no clean up. If he plans, I don't notice it and he doesn't mention it. He also doesn't watch football. I think he's a keeper.  :laugh:

I don't camp. A few years on active duty in the Army cured me of any desire to commune with the outdoors. DH is welcome to go, and take all the kids with him. So far he hasn't gone.

I spend less time with a shopping list Thanksgiving week than I usually do.  Normally I have to plan out way more meals, look at recipes and make sure I have everything for them.  Or one more spontaneous weeks, looking for what's on sale, then figuring out what to do with it, and making sure I have the side ingredients for that (but if I wing it I invariably miss something, which is why I do much better meal planning).

For Thanksgiving, it's completely obvious what I have to buy, it's the same every year, and the store has very helpfully put it all right in big piles in the front.

We don't have to travel far, so there's no packing.  I am hosting tomorrow, but I don't have to clean the house more thoroughly than I would if other guests were coming.

Since I make the same thing every year, I don't have to plan out what to do at what time.  I just do what I've done every year before.

I think we can agree here. :D

Luckily that was not my experience. Nobody here likes football. DH helped with dishes, prep, and serving. I made the same meal I make every year so no planning of anything was involved. It was another day with extra good food and I bothered to set the table.

Same here, though my husband is a football fanatic. Well, any sport, really. (Maybe not tennis...)

Anyway, I do not visit or entertain visitors on holidays. Full stop.

Yesterday was easy. The turkey took longer to cook than a chicken, but I don't have to actively cook it so I don't give a rat's arse how long it takes. My husband did part of the sides, I did part, the 12 yo did part. All at a leisurely pace. (The 9 yos didn't because they're still less helpful and more "helping" which I did not wish to entertain) Then we ate on regular dishes, in the living room, watching Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (because hello, Thanksgiving!). There were naps.

If you'd ever tried to fix a leaking toilet intake, you would know the placement of a toilet right up against a wall is less convenient for the plumber than the cleaner. Given that most plumbers are men, I suspect they get the frustration.

I would suggest that, in either case, if it's so troublesome that you need to find someone to blame, you're doing it wrong.

Which is why I made the pecan pie, and Mom grilled steaks. I had leftover potatoes that we healed in the oven and we zapped some cauliflower for a side. We ate on the best paper-ware. Thanksgiving: Done.

Maybe a man invented Thanksgiving. Ain't nothing a woman can't FIX.

I spend less time with a shopping list Thanksgiving week than I usually do.  Normally I have to plan out way more meals, look at recipes and make sure I have everything for them.  Or one more spontaneous weeks, looking for what's on sale, then figuring out what to do with it, and making sure I have the side ingredients for that (but if I wing it I invariably miss something, which is why I do much better meal planning).

For Thanksgiving, it's completely obvious what I have to buy, it's the same every year, and the store has very helpfully put it all right in big piles in the front.

We don't have to travel far, so there's no packing.  I am hosting tomorrow, but I don't have to clean the house more thoroughly than I would if other guests were coming.

Since I make the same thing every year, I don't have to plan out what to do at what time.  I just do what I've done every year before.

Actually, I'm more like you than the people who plan more and have to do more. I like it that way! I don't make the same item every year, but I only have bring one thing and no long travel. I don't even have to host. 

I feel for those ladies who have a lot more on their plates! They are free to take as many weeks as they like - both before AND after the event - if it makes easier for them.

Absolutely! I'm tired too. My mom always wants to put on a big Thanksgiving at her house despite her very small kitchen with limited counterspace and back/arthritis that can't take it. So she makes the turkey and dressing, my MIL brings pies, and I cook the rest. But, since mom and MIL then need to get off their feet after dinner, and SIL and nieces consider it their vacation day and loudly announce every year that they have no intention of helping with the clean up work, dad was raised a little too traditionally so he thinks of it as women's work and rarely helps out at all except if mom is helping because he worries about her,  dh and I clean the whole thing. I wanted to use disposables this year including the serving dishes so silverware and pots was all that had to be washed. But, mom couldn't give up her dream of beautiful tables set with her china and glassware. She just turned 70 and it's been a really rough year with dad's surgeries practically back to back, a grandson that went into the military and won't be home for a long time, her own health getting A LOT worse, and her sister dying slowly of colon cancer. She's pretty emotional, and so dh and I didn't have the heart to say no. We've tried to have a quiet day at home today with the boys who were also a big help moving furniture around for their grandparents, washing table linens so mom wouldn't have it for later, chasing around a couple of great grands whose parents refused to watch their own children, and took care of grandma and grandpa's sick dog. I can't complain about how much they pitched in.

But, I did have a quiet talk with mom and explained that I wanted a simpler Christmas and especially because I would be at work at the quilt store on the 26th for the inventory clearance sale by 6:00 a.m. and did not want to be on my feet all afternoon cleaning. So, we agreed to Seventh Generation paper plates (recycled material so I feel a little better about how many will end up being put in our fireplace), cups, and napkins, and brunch food. We also announced that EVERYONE would have to bring a main dish and a side, and take home their own dirty bowls/pots/pans because we wouldn't be washing that day.

It's so hard with aging parents and especially when they feel so strongly about these big feasts, and the child that ends up with all of the responsibility does not (my sister couldn't come home from Kentucky and my brother is USELESS and has been allowed to be this way for years in order to not rock the boat with his narcissistic wife). Dh is such a peach. But, he works a lot of hours, and I'd LOVE for him to have a holiday where he puts his feet up in the recliner, sips coffee, and eats a simple sub sandwich and salad then naps instead of cleaning.

Now that I've got her to back off on Christmas, I'm going to work on her about Easter. She has to have foot surgery in February and will still be walking with a cane in April. I think I might tell my brother and his family that they will need to find something else to do that day, and then order chicken dinner and trimmings from the Bavarian Inn on the Saturday before (I really don't mind the mileage to go get it and they make wonderful food) , and just reheat for mom and dad and my family that Easter Sunday. My sister will be in Paris doing a semester of her M.A., dd and hubby won't be home, and well, this way mom won't even try to do anything she shouldn't be doing.

Hmmm...next year I might get lucky and get everyone to agree to a Pizza Thanksgiving or something crazy like that!

Faith