Menu

I rather CC a movie so I can catch every bit of dialogue even if I miss some visuals.

unsinkable

Movies  

110 members have voted

1. 1. I rather CC a movie so I can catch every bit of dialogue even if I miss some visuals.

• True
    • False
    • The Commitments
    • Inception
    • Other

True. We have a small house and if the volume is up on the tv that sound travels straight into dd's bedroom. (We usually watch at night after she goes to bed.) And it seems these days that shows have really loud parts with quiet dialog. So if you want to catch the dialog you have to turn the volume up, which then makes the loud parts too loud. We always use the captions if they're available. My ds's can't seem to hear the dialog without them. And I guess I'm used to them. I grew up watching Japanese tv shows that were captioned in English.

I find CC annoying.  I would rather watch a movie than read a movie, even if I miss some of the words.  

Besides, sometimes the cinematography is a whole 'nother movie in and of it self!  I would miss too much of that if I watched with CC on.

Generally speaking, I can't stand CC.  I find it distracting and annoying.  I've used it on rare occasions where the dialogue was just impossible to follow, but I have to really be straining to understand in order to get to the point where I'll turn it on.

I don't mind sub-titles on foreign films though. 

I enjoy British shows (on Netflix) and without CC I would probably miss 25% of the dialogue.  My American ears just can't pick it all up.

Some show content is not G-rated anyway, so if I watch during the day when the kids are awake I can mute the volume and still "watch" the show.  Although with the sound down and reading the spoken words, it's more like silent movies.  Really silent movies :001_huh:

We used to watch with CC on all the time because the kids were noisy.  I still do it occasionally when I watch shows on my computer (with headphones) if there is too much background noise.  I don't find it distracts too much from the visuals on a small screen like that.  We did end up seeing a CC'd movie in a theater once.  On that big screen, I did find the CC very distracting.  I can't see words and NOT read them and I did feel like I missed things (I don't even remember what movie it was).

I got in the habit of this when my DD was a baby and I didn't want the extra noise.   

It can be funny to do it a show like Jimmy Kimmel or Jimmy Fallon (I watch on Hulu), because with dialog they must do it in a hurry and I've seen some funny mistakes.   Kimmel has a Aunt Chippy, who was identified as a Chip Pea.  

True. (We get Netflix, and hover around my laptop--until the Roku gets here.  Then, we probably won't have to use CC, but the sound on my laptop is horrible)

And Inception.

The only bad thing about CC to me is I can read the captions almost immediately. I've read what the characters will say long before they say it, so I lose some of the delivery and the amusement. :(

I see we've covered the spouse aspect. My DH is not hard of hearing, but he can't stand to miss a word even if he gets the gist and context. I can't stand to rewind everything a million times. He also can't stand for people to talk during a movie or show, but it's okay if he talks. Lol! I've mostly gotten used to it.

We always watch with subtitles. Its actually annoying that netflix doesn't have them. We pick up so much more, especially if any persons have an accent!

Netflix has them.  I use them all the time when the kids are being too noisy.  While a movie/show is playing, one of the buttons on the bar that pops up along the bottom has a button to turn it on.