Menu

Homeschooling is getting too popular *snark alert*

musicianmom

I was about 30 when I started with Rebecca... you guys can do the math.   :glare:   I was also skinnier.   :glare:   Anyway, the denim jumper stereotype confused me at first too.  I had to realize that I could homeschool my kids and they could still wear Gymboree.

No chickens though.  Can I keep my membership card?

I'm looking for an uptick in NJ HS a few years after NJ rolls out PARCC in it's entirety.

:iagree:

I love Common Core, but not the sound of PARCC.

I'm in NJ and I've had 4 different acquaintances tell me they were going to homeschool in the past few months.  I'm not sure what's driving it but it definitely seems to be picking up.

I've already run into the thin, young and somewhat trendy homeschoolers.   NJ seems to have a lot of homeschoolers for academic or learning issues reasons, rather than religious reasons, so maybe that makes a difference.  I'm none of the above. :thumbup1:

That would be me.

I've been doing this homeschool gig for a long time. I'm now old, fat, and frumpy. Don't worry. life will wear them down soon enough! :crying:

(Tongue in cheek humor, y'all. I'm kidding. I'm not serious. Really!)

I had the same thought. That doesn't mean that we aren't doing what we can, but age and spending all we can squeeze out on educating our children does have an impact.  I know a few "cool," older homeschool moms, but most of us do indeed have a little wear around the edges.  It's OK, we EARNED it.   

:lol:

That, or their children enter 5th grade.

Around here 5th grade seems to be the kiss of death for most homeschoolers. >sarcasm font on< As I look across the room at my super surly 5th grader I cannot imagine why anyone would throw in the towel. >sarcasm font off<

Ahhhh, now it's all starting to make sense. It's 5th grade. I was literally looking at a local Christian School's website last night for my 5th grader. Combine that with PMS -it's a lethal combination.

DW has a former middle school student who just started his oncology residency, another who keeps inviting us to his restaurant on Cape Cod, and another who has been DD's dance teacher for 10 years.   The wackiest however, has to be the HS mom we've known for a few years -- daughter similar in age to ours, etc.  It turns out she was a student at DW's first high school job 26 years ago (shout out to Rising Sun ,MD).  Now that's wierd.  Granted at 21, we were just 4 years older than the seniors we taught, but that doesn't make it any less freaky.

That's my quibble -- I don't care about your faith, and suspect it won't come up that often in conversation, but can we please find some local friends who actually DO school?   :confused:

I know, I know, I know, I know :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  Aside from the group that exiled me because we let our kids read Harry Potter and didn't outlaw the yoga exercises on the WII, there was another group that also got feisty because apparently, it's okay to learn to read, and it's okay to learn some math, but one shouldn't be tooooooo persistent with this because it teaches children to love intellectualism more than God and people.

No thanks, not something I care to get into....I don't give two hoots what you do or do not worship, but I sure would hang out with people who value education.

I think the homeschooling moms are getting younger. That's got to be it because I'm certainly not getting older. I don't even know where these teenagers came from!

I'm much more annoyed with my homeschooling friend who is my age, has 5 children to my two, and always looks stunningly put together. I mean, WHY is she all cute at co-op??? That's just too early (9:30 a.m.) for color coordination and awesome shoes. Smug little twerp.

It's the pending testing and teacher eval changes.  Even DW's vice principal is yanking his kids out, and another teacher desperately wants me to HS her kids.

Where are you that you see academic less-religious HSers???   I'm surrounded by the academic evangelical and the radical unschoolers.  Maybe it's a weird vortexy thing where I am.

Tom, it is totally a weird vortexy thing by you. You know I talk to you and am happy to be shunned by the nutters when we talk.  I should add in the past year I have had 3 moms contact me about homeschooling their kids here.  Granted-2 out of the 3 have enrolled their older kids in school because of the lack of support but that is another thread all together. 

Tom, it is totally a weird vortexy thing by you. You know I talk to you and am happy to be shunned by the nutters when we talk.  I should add in the past year I have had 3 moms contact me about homeschooling their kids here.  Granted-2 out of the 3 have enrolled their older kids in school because of the lack of support but that is another thread all together. 

OMG, Kathy!  It's you!

:hurray:

Chickens were cool last year, but are on the way out.  GF is still trending.  I'm not sure about bees. Head scarves hide the requisite tousled hair.

I think bees are up and coming. I'm ahead of the curve.

The head scarves are essentials--keep the sweat out of my eyes under my veil. And hide my copious gray hair which I don't dye because it's too much trouble.

You know what makes me feel old....when I see a weatherman on TV who is way younger than me.  That's just wrong.  Weathermen are supposed to be older than me. 

Oh no, that's not the worst of it; it's when your professionals like your internist, your dentist, and your vet are younger than you. It shakes a person to the core.

I have to ask you, Roy. Is that you under a different name? That kind of stuff kind of throws me for a loop too. :D

Oh my goodness! I totally agree with the weird vortex thing around here.  It's either the super conservative religious homeschoolers that sew their own clothes, live off the grid, and make everything from scratch or the unschoolers that look like they are prepared for the zombie apocalypse.  Me, I just took my kids out of school because they were always behind, had 4 hours of homework every night, and were generally miserable.  Our family is Christian.  (I'm a pastor.)  But for real, in this house, it's all about education, teaching our kids to love learning and figuring out what they want to be when they group up.  Why can't I find a group of mostly normal people who don't have it all together everyday?  (I'm sure there are some in the groups I've been to.  They are just far and few between...or maybe they are stressed out like me and just can't get to the meetings.)

I think, just in general, cute and young moms are on the rise. :) Women seem to be back to having babies before they are in their late 30's, early 40's. I think they were scared by all the infertility stories. I love seeing them around town. I love the Dads wearing their babies in Ergos etc. It's delightful.

This is dead on for me. I decided to have kids in my 20's versus waiting because of seeing my mom and older cousins struggle with fertility and drain the nest egg for treatments.

I have met more moms in their 20's recently and it nice to not be the only one.

When I lived in Berkeley it seemed like all the moms with a new baby were at least 35.

No offense to moms who waited.

Just saying it's nice to have other moms about my age to bond with and that I enjoy having a young family.

I was young and thin and fashionable when I started homeschooling.....then I got older and fat and frumpy.....now I an old and thin and stylish again......it's the circle of life mom style. ;-)

It totally is. I told DH I fully expect to have a hotness resurgence in my late 30s.

Too many homeschoolers in my area. It's getting trendy. Know how I know? The moms. More and more of them are young and skinny and fashionable. It's giving me a complex.

On the flip side, I almost never hear negative comments about hs because it's fairly well-accepted.

Edited to change title because apparently my sense of humor does not translate well online.

Now that you mention it, ditto.  At our local hs convention a large proportion of the mothers attending the talks I did were the young, idealistic kind who take themselves WAY too seriously.  Some of them got tearful when testifying their own dreams of the perfect hs'ing for their preschoolers, and wondered why the older set simply looked amused.  Or irked -- there were a couple who wanted the Q&A sessions all for themselves. 

It's also telling here that the few teacher supply/home school stores I can find (meaning I know where they are, not that there aren't many) seem to cater to those teaching the very young.  It's almost an hour's drive away to get to a store I heard about that carries books and stuff for 5th grade and up.  Then again, this also might be due to a younger, more idealistic parent's propensity to impulse buy attractive and promising materials.

And nope, haven't run into any negative comments about hs'ing while we are out and about.  Not even a second glance or "why aren't your kids in school" from anyone.  Customers seem to be taking their cue from store employees (grocery, Target, wherever), and store employees seem to like to see us.  I rather like this!

Another up-side:  I can tell my niece that yes, I AM trendy!  (while doing "snap my fingers in a Z formation", saying "yo, DAWWWG!" and "I'm down with that" and anything else embarrassing I can think of.  She's almost 14, and lording it around now that she's in high school.  Maybe I'll add a "yo, frosh!" to my repertoire....)

I don't understand why the relative youth of the parents is a bad thing. I only just turned 30, and we're in our fourth year homeschooling, or sixth if you count the homeschool co-op we did for preschool. I've known that I'd be homeschooling my kids since I was 15. I'm not ''skinny'', but I'm not overweight, either, and fairly fashionable (but not especially trendy). 

It's not a bad thing at all.   Many of us are just older and feeling frumpy.  We are a little jealous since we aren't quite so energetic anymore and our metabolisms shifted when we weren't looking.

In reality we are quite happy to see the younger Moms and Dads interested in home schooling.  It's not only validation of our own choice (which we don't need but it's still nice to get), but it's fresh faces and new victims for the wise advice we've gathered over the years and are SURE you need to hear!

And we like the company.  Even when a few get a little overly zealous at the conventions.

Go out there and get it! Pinterest tells me all women need is a cute pair of boots.

But I have a pair of boots.  Good hiking boots, with reinforced toes.  And MIL will gladly lend me her wellies if I need a different pair.

Or should I borrow FIL's cowboy boots?  They are nicely western, complete with corral residue.

I really don't see why Pinterest thinks boots will work, but I guess it's worth a try.  Now, which negligee to wear with 'em?

:P

When I lived in Berkeley it seemed like all the moms with a new baby were at least 35.

No offense to moms who waited.

Just saying it's nice to have other moms about my age to bond with and that I enjoy having a young family.

Jealous! This is me (I started in my 20s but all the moms around here wait til mid-30s). They look at me with my high-schooler and seem to think I must have been a child bride. I am younger than EVERYONE at my older kids' activities. It's kind of lonely sometimes.

:lol:

That, or their children enter 5th grade.

Around here 5th grade seems to be the kiss of death for most homeschoolers. >sarcasm font on< As I look across the room at my super surly 5th grader I cannot imagine why anyone would throw in the towel. >sarcasm font off<

Hmm, maybe 5th grade is just when the parents feel they simply MUST make a change!  It was in DD12's 5th grade year that we decided we had to start homeschooling (made the switch officially at the end of that year, but our hearts were already switched over before then).

I know, I know, I know, I know :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  Aside from the group that exiled me because we let our kids read Harry Potter and didn't outlaw the yoga exercises on the WII, there was another group that also got feisty because apparently, it's okay to learn to read, and it's okay to learn some math, but one shouldn't be tooooooo persistent with this because it teaches children to love intellectualism more than God and people.

No thanks, not something I care to get into....I don't give two hoots what you do or do not worship, but I sure would hang out with people who value education.

That was YOU with the Wii yoga story?  I was so stunned at the time I said something to my kids about it, and they still bring it up from time to time when discussing general whacko-ness along religious lines.  But I never could remember who it was.  (We have a friend who is often points out to us that the road to hell is paved with yoga poses, btw.)

Jealous! This is me (I started in my 20s but all the moms around here wait til mid-30s). They look at me with my high-schooler and seem to think I must have been a child bride. I am younger than EVERYONE at my older kids' activities. It's kind of lonely sometimes.

You can come hang out with me, and when my younger SIL gets off work we'll go hang out with her.  She's early 30's and her oldest is a teen.  Not home schoolers at this time, but good people and fun to be around.

Since age is part of the discussion, get this -- I have 2 sisters-in-law, and between the 3 of us we represent 3 different generations as defined by the U.S. Census.  I'm a baby boomer (tail end of it), and I have a Gen X SIL and a Gen Y/Millenium/what-are-they-calling-them SIL as well.  And the youngest of us three was the one who got married first!

Some of us are late bloomers.  I didn't think I was all that late getting started, until someone once took me for my niece's grandmother (my niece was flower toddler at my wedding).  My eldest was 4 at the time.  Humph.

I am thin and wear headscarves because my doc changed my ADD meds and I dropped a bunch of weight and lost a bunch of hair. My kids have major alldrgies and SPD so I have to do a lot of from scratch-ed-ness. We hs for academic, religious AND medical reasons. I really want chickens and bees....and a farmhouse stocked with hardcore science books and our Bibles. We allow Harry Potter...LOTR...zthe Golden Compass... ;)

Me, I just took my kids out of school because they were always behind, had 4 hours of homework every night, and were generally miserable.  Our family is Christian.  (I'm a pastor.)  But for real, in this house, it's all about education, teaching our kids to love learning and figuring out what they want to be when they group up.

Sounds like my reasoning. The kids were at a great Catholic school but the hustle and bustle of getting them there and forcing the endless homework wasn't working for us.

I feel all cool and trendy now, being a new-ish homeschooler :) Even if our suburban chickens are becoming passe.

I am thin and wear headscarves because my doc changed my ADD meds and I dropped a bunch of weight and lost a bunch of hair. My kids have major alldrgies and SPD so I have to do a lot of from scratch-ed-ness. We hs for academic, religious AND medical reasons. I really want chickens and bees....and a farmhouse stocked with hardcore science books and our Bibles. We allow Harry Potter...LOTR...zthe Golden Compass... ;)

Can we be BFFs ???

Hmm, maybe 5th grade is just when the parents feel they simply MUST make a change! It was in DD12's 5th grade year that we decided we had to start homeschooling (made the switch officially at the end of that year, but our hearts were already switched over before then).

We started homeschooling in fifth grade, having made the decision to switch in fourth grade.

I was young and thin and fashionable when I started homeschooling.....then I got older and fat and frumpy.....now I an old and thin and stylish again......it's the circle of life mom style. ;-)

I'm traveling in a straight line along the fashionable axis. Young fat and unfashionable to old, fat and increasingly better dressed. There's some slight increases in the wrinkle variable but that's about it. :D

I went to a homeschooling thing a week ago where I was a little startled at all the young thin moms but now I'm thinking some of those moms probably looked at those of us who were older, wrinkled and fat and were a little intimidated since we represented the veterans of the group and our fat and grey hairs were earned in battle.

That was YOU with the Wii yoga story?  I was so stunned at the time I said something to my kids about it, and they still bring it up from time to time when discussing general whacko-ness along religious lines.  But I never could remember who it was.  (We have a friend who is often points out to us that the road to hell is paved with yoga poses, btw.)

Yes, that's me!

Oh, but after disinviting me because I might be an instrument of the devil in their children's lives, they had the nerve to ask if they could borrow my dissection equipment so someone else could teach the kids.

You can't cure stupid, rudeness, or paranoia. So, I've come to the place I just laugh about it.

Aside from the group that exiled me because we let our kids read Harry Potter and didn't outlaw the yoga exercises on the WII

Well, as the blood rushed to my head during the the few times I've tried downward facing dog, I have contemplated what Hell would be like, so there is a line of reasoning there.

People, you need to get sheep and make me some sheep milk ice cream!!

I have written the major sheep milk product makers to no avail. (Sheep milk ice, so naturally low fat we are not allowed to call it ice cream. They either weren't buying it or think the market is low.)

My MIL is a huge fan of homeschooling and owns a denim jumper. I can be fashionable why I try but prefer to focus on other things, like sleep or school or reading here or watching cats and gymnastics on YouTube LOL.

Nope, nope, nope.  Public Schools have goats now, real homeschoolers should have something that is both more exotic and more practical.  Maybe water buffalo or yaks.

This is true. The tech center has horses, chickens, cows, goats, and pregnant ewes for the ag-science and vet-tech course. The horses, chickens, and goats are loaners from area farms, but the cows and ewes are owned. They'll all be sold at auction at the end of the year including the lambs.