Menu

Please pray...my 11 yo is missing on hike

joannqn

UPDATE:  They finally made contact.  They were just moving slowly and the road up there (dirt road) was bad which further slowed them down.

He went on his first hike with boy scouts today.  They were do back 2 hours ago.  No one has heard from them.  It is two adults and two boys.  One adult is an experienced hiker; I don't know about the other. 

I'm waiting for my husband to get the car info on the other adult (still at the drop off point).  We are hoping that will help us figure out who the other adult is and maybe try calling a cell.  If that doesn't pan out in the next 15 minutes or so, we're reporting them missing.

They went to Alpine Lakes, wherever that is.

the alpine lakes wilderness area is between cle ellum, leavenworth and gold bar/off hw 2 depending what part they go to.  you're in Olympia aren't you?  that's quite a drive each way.  how long did they estimate to be gone total?  one map estimated nearly 3 hrs each way just for driving.

highway 2 - stevens pass is open to play in the snow this past week.  yeah - in September/October.  (the road itself should be clear of snow).

at least the weather has been nice today - it even hit 70 at our house.

They finally made contact.  They were just moving slowly and the road up there (dirt road) was bad which further slowed them down.  By the time they get home, they'll be 3 to 3 1/2 hours late.

That seems to be the norm for Scouts and hiking.  It ALWAYS takes longer than they say it will.  I mentally add 3 hours to whatever time they say they're going to get home.  Actually, nobody around here even gives "arriving home" times anymore...when they get here, they get here.

Glad your son is safe and sound.

Praise the Lord!  I'm glad they made contact with you!  Everyone is ok?

We need to talk to my son in detail when he gets home.  The story is that they were just slow moving and the road up there (a dirt forest service road) was really bad.

However, when my son called he sounded shaken.  The first thing I said was "Where are you?"  Then I heard his voice and switched gears and asked, "Are you okay?"

I was hyped from everything I had blocked that out until my daughter mentioned that he sounded shaken when he first called.  She's sitting about three feet away from me and heard it and mentioned it (even though she wasn't on the phone and the phone wasn't on speaker...you know how you can sometimes here the caller).

the alpine lakes wilderness area is between cle ellum, leavenworth and gold bar/off hw 2 depending what part they go to.  you're in Olympia aren't you?  that's quite a drive each way.  how long did they estimate to be gone total?  one map estimated nearly 3 hrs each way just for driving.

highway 2 - stevens pass is open to play in the snow this past week.  yeah - in September/October.  (the road itself should be clear of snow).

at least the weather has been nice today - it even hit 70 at our house.

They left around 7:30am and said they would be back between 5:30 and 6pm.  Even the leader's wife was worried because he's usually back on time.

the alpine lakes are at elevation.  Many at above 4000'.  stevens pass had two feet of snow last weekend (*very* unseasonal). they were open today (I think they set a record for earliest season open).  

the important thing is they are on the road coming home.

He's home.

He says he was scared because I had told him that we had called the police.  Apparently, he had no clue that they were late, let alone late enough to call out search and rescue.  He also feels a little guilty because he was the slow one, and he had been asked if he wanted to turn back half way and do just five miles.  He opted to do the whole ten.

We explained that the leader, knowing that they were behind schedule, should have made that call himself.

I am very glad your son is home safe! That's a scary feeling, waiting for the overdue child on a field trip.

That said, I have to ask - was this an official scout trip, or just a couple of friends who happen to belong to the same troop. Because it seems to me that that is an unusually small group for an official outing. BSA requires a minimum two deep leadership team, and the Youth Protection policy states that no leader may be alone with a boy out of sight of other adult leaders. In the event that someone were injured on the trail, and someone needed to go for help with the injured while another went for help, there goes the ability to follow both of these very basic BSA operating tenets.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I'm wondering how some of the other BSA trained boardies think about this. Do your guys usually go on such small outings as official field trips, especially to somewhat remote areas?

One thing that added to everyone's worry is that sunset was at 6:40pm today.  So not only were they two hours late before they called, but it was dark and cold out.  The high today was only 56 with an overnight low of 38.

It was an official hike for the troop.  The troop is the oldest and largest in the area, but hikes seem to be handled pretty casually.  They are announced and information about where, when, and what to bring is provided.  Then whoever shows up goes; there was no sign up.  Had another adult not shown up, the trip would have been canceled.  My husband had to wait around this morning, which is why we knew it was nearly canceled.

As far as attendance on other hikes, I have no idea since my son has never gone on a hike.  We had been waiting for a 5-mile hike to come up for his first one, but they kept scheduling 10 milers (and the annual 50 miler).  His last two requirements for rank advancement required a hike.  He really wanted to go so he could get his next rank.  He knew if he didn't go, it would be a month or longer before he could get rank.  So I let him go even though I didn't think he was ready for a 10 mile hike.  

As far as attendance on other hikes, I have no idea since my son has never gone on a hike.  We had been waiting for a 5-mile hike to come up for his first one, but they kept scheduling 10 milers (and the annual 50 miler).  His last two requirements for rank advancement required a hike.  He really wanted to go so he could get his next rank.  He knew if he didn't go, it would be a month or longer before he could get rank.  So I let him go even though I didn't think he was ready for a 10 mile hike.  

I'm not sure if this is how Boy Scouts works, but would it be appropriate for a member to ask leadership to arrange for the kind of hike/support that he needs to complete his project/rank?  It could be a good lesson in speaking up to ask for what you need...

I'm not sure if this is how Boy Scouts works, but would it be appropriate for a member to ask leadership to arrange for the kind of hike/support that he needs to complete his project/rank? It could be a good lesson in speaking up to ask for what you need...

It would absolutely be appropriate. The boy interested in a shorter hike could easily research area trails of that length and should feel confident that making a proposal about a shorter hike would be met with support and enthusiasm by the leaders. Of course they would have input and final say over the actual activity chosen, but scouts is supposed to emphasize a scout (youth) led group, with leaders there for guidance, support and safety.

Joann, your son is a trooper. Way to achieve rank! But personally I feel that the leaders did not do their due diligence with ensuring the activity was on par with the participants' level of experience (impossible without a sign up list). Not sure this "old and established" troop would change its ways but at least now your son knows that he might need to ask questions/speak up when he needs more info about activities.

Even the scout master and the leader's wife were worried when they were two hours overdue with no contact.  Apparently, this guy is normally good about knowing how long a hike will take and getting back on time or close to it.