Menu

What would you expect?

Tranquility7

What would you expect?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Would you expect the sellers to take the firewood?

• Absolutely, without being asked.
    • Yes, but only if asked to take it.
    • Maybe, if asked, but might be contentious about it.
    • Probably not, even if asked.
    • No way, even if asked.

If you were buying a house and there was a pile of firewood (not huge, but definitely not negligible) in the backyard, but the house had only a gas fireplace and no firepit or any other way to burn wood, would you expect the sellers to take the firewood when they leave?  Or leave it in the yard?

ETA - Pls don't quote since I might delete :-)

I would expect them to take it if asked, but I wouldn't assume that they would remove it.  

The people we bought our house from left a ton of firewood on the property. But we have a wood burning stove, so it was assumed that they would leave it (and that we would appreciate them leaving it).  Different scenario. 

I don't think the buyer should assume either way.   Unless the firewood was listed in the description of the house, there is no legal obligation to leave it.  It sort of like furniture since it is not attached to the house or land.    But I can't really see moving firewood either.   

ETA: people should not move firewood too much because of the Emerald Ash Borer

People selling houses leave all sorts of crap.  I think it's very bad manners, but I'm no longer surprised by anything.  I would assume they had a tree they cut down and just left the wood behind because they didn't want to pay disposal costs?  You can put it at the curb, mark it "Free Firewood," and leave a "Free Firewood" curb alert on craigslist until it's gone.

To me at leastit would not be an issue---just put it on Craiglist for free and watch it go

Hmmm, what a great idea!

We asked the seller to get rid of it, but we don't want them to get frustrated about it.  We aren't trying to cause trouble, we just don't want it.  (My kids would totally want to play on it, and I'm terrified of snakes living in it.  Plus, it's just in the way.)

I bought my house under those circumstances. It's a pile about up to my chest and it's off to the side in the backyard. We didn't ask the owners to remove it. It didn't even occur to me. I voted 'probably not' because I don't want to touch it. I'm sure there are THINGS living in it. Now, if it was a deal breaker and my house might not get purchased, I'd hire a yard company to come out and clean it up. I'm really not going anywhere near it.

Oh, oh, we have wood in the front yard now too! I forgot! We had a tree fall down and our neighbors, on both sides, came over with chainsaws. We barely knew them so it was a funny thing for us. None of us had any use for it so it's stacked up out there too. It's under some trees as well.

We're not putting the house up for sale any time soon but when we do, we won't touch those woodpiles unless absolutely necessary.

Is this over and done with?  If not, why not put it in the contract that they have to remove it?  Our house had a shed in the back that was usable but a bit broken down. The seller planned to leave it but we put in the contract that it had to be removed, and it was.

I would put it in the offer/contract because things that seem simple often turn out to be complicated. (Emerald ash borer? Off to google!)

Our first house, the sellers left piles of garbage. And pooped in both toilets. Freaks. Our agent didn't warn us and we didn't think to have trash removal in the contract. The trash company wouldn't pick it up, and we had to rent a truck and pay to take it to the dump. Our second house, it was in the contract and they still left piles around where the trash can was stored. Piles! They were annoyed we made them come move it because we "could just take it to the curb on trash day." It took the guy and his teenaged son two trips with a huge pickup truck.

Anyway, now we put in removal of EVERYTHING!

I wouldn't have any expectations regarding the wood. I'm in a rural-ish neighborhood and most people have woodpiles. So if a seller left the wood, the buyer would most likely be happy that there was less to buy for the winter. If they didn't leave the wood, the buyer would assume that the seller's new house also had a woodstove or firepit and they wanted to use it there. 

We have a nice dry, neatly stacked woodpile next to the outdoor fire pit overlooking a stream. We're hoping to sell next year and will probably leave the wood for whoever buys the house. 

I've learned to expect little when it comes to previous owners.  If I wanted the wood gone I would have that in the contract.  Really, with the all of packing they probably didn't give it a second thought.  Either it's old wood from when the fireplace used to be wood burning, or they enjoyed outside fires (in a pit of some sort).  Either way, it probably won't occur to them to take it while they are packing.  You can ask them if they know anyone who wants it, or put out an ad for it and see if you can sell or unload it. 

Thanks for all the input. 

It is too late for it to be in the contract (though that would have been best!), since closing is in two days (and we wouldn't delay closing for it).

I did email the seller about it yesterday hoping that maybe she'd say they'd already gotten rid of it.  But alas, they didn't think of it, and are not sure they will get to it by closing (understandable, frankly).  I kind of assumed they would get rid of it, so that is why I posted the poll - to see what others would expect, since I'm really kind of out of my element here.  Anyway, we aren't wanting to play hardball about it.  It's just a hassle we would rather not deal with.  But we also don't want the sellers to be frustrated it about it (we have multiple mutual friends, plus that is just the kind of people we are).

I think we will go the Craigslist route if it is still there at closing.  Hopefully it will be picked up soon!

Unfortunately, that's the kind of thing you need to get in writing when you buy a house, but most of us never think of the small stuff when we're looking at a much bigger picture. Realistically, you could probably force the issue and refuse to close on the house until the wood is gone, but I'm sure everyone would agree that it would be a very bad idea to do that, so I guess all you can do is hope that they can find someone to take the wood, but if it's still there when you move in, just stick a sign on the street saying "free wood" and it will probably be gone within hours. You could also offer it to your new neighbors -- they would get a good first impression of you, and they might be thrilled to get all that free firewood.

I don't know if you're the seller or the buyer, but I don't see what the big deal is outside of hassle factor.

it's so easy to list the wood on craigslist because there are a lot of people who use woodstoves to supplement their heat source.  it could be sold for cheap or given away for free.