Menu

I'm Catholic but thinking of attending a protestant church. I feel like this is wrong...

runbikeswim

The title says it all. I am Catholic and lately I haven't been getting much from Mass. I have been Catholic my entire life and I doubt I would ever convert. That said, there are things that have bothered me about my local church. I have some good friends who go to a non dem. Protestant church that has a wonderful youth group, lots of families and a very intense and motivational preacher. My current church lacks all of the above. I guess I'd like to see how it is to go this church and experience something different.

Is this terrible? Is this okay? I am feeling like I'm betraying my current religion? Thoughts?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried looking for a different Catholic parish? It could be worth driving a little for a group you have more in common with. Also, have you spoken with your priest about some of the issues you brought up, like the lack of opportunities for youth? That is important for a lot of families, and could be the reason the number of families is dwindling. Maybe he's looking for some volunteers. I'm not sure what to do about the un inspirational preaching... does your parish have a Bible study group for adults? Ask if he'll lead one, and then you could use the time to let the priest get to know you all better, get a better feel for what you might be looking for.

I do understand what you mean, though. After eleven years away from the church (spent in a Lutheran church instead) I finally came back "home." Still, though, we go to three different parishes, having not yet decided on a permenant home. I am lucky to have so many options. I hope you do, too.

Hmm...cradle Catholic here who's parents opted to move to a charismatic church when I was in late grade school. I lean toward the Protestant tradition now. (Felt I had to get that out so you could weight my words as you will.)

I personally find both traditions filled with meaning and beauty, and I don't find the thought terrible or a betrayal of your faith. I don't think you need to convert to visit or even attend a Protestant church. 

I think there's more to fear in a place where you're not allowed to see the options. Other faith communities don't have to be threatening. It may even be good for your Catholic faith to compare it and see what's really important to you. 

Look for another parish!  Think outside the box, too- look at the Byzantine and Latin-rite parishes- they tend to have THRIVING communities. 

I was raised Protestant, and there is no doubt that with the full scale electric bands and choirs, a "motivational speaker" style preacher, and large youth groups, Protestant services are more "entertaining".  I've come to realize though, the point of my attendance at mass is not "entertainment" but holy, reverent, and yes, solemn worship.  That's not meant to be offensive to Protestants, but this is my experience and preference having tried both sides plus atheism for a bit.  :confused1:

You can find a lot of fun in a Protestant service, but Jesus isn't in the Tabernacle. 

I really hope you can find a parish that meets your needs, or that you speak to your priest and see how you can help to create a youth group in your current parish. 

:grouphug:

I'm sorry for your struggle.

I was a Catholic from birth but am now a Protestant.  Around high school I started to question a few things about Catholicism and walked away from church altogether for a time.  I married a Methodist and now we are Presbyterians (Orthodox). 

There are things I miss about the Catholic church, still.  There are some important differences in doctrine but there are commonalities too, one important one being faith in Jesus Christ.

I would never encourage anyone to make a change until they are comfortable but I would suggest a lot of prayer.  And, checking out another church is not wrong.  You may find that you/your family is ready to change, or you may find you are ultimately happy where you are.    Certainly check out other parishes.  When I was a kid, the parish was where you lived and that was it.  I don't think it's that way anymore?

BTW my church doesn't have electric bands, or an entertaining service.  ;)   (I wasn't offended by a pp's comment about that but did find it funny.)   Our service is reverent and serious, though not solemn or funereal. The pastor does inject a little humor into his sermons now and then.  :D    There are no movie clips and we mostly sing hymns and psalms. 

I hope God leads you to the right church, or shows you that you are right where you should be.

Edited to add:  All Protestant churches are not the same, even within the same denomination.  So no offense to those who are in churches with bands, movie clips, etc.   Individual churches can have differences in taste as far as worship style, etc.  It's the teaching and preaching that matter.

You can find a lot of fun in a Protestant service, but Jesus isn't in the Tabernacle.

I don't go to church for fun or entertainment. I go to worship and fellowship with other believers. While it may be true that you won't find Jesus in some churches with electric bands, motivational speakers, large youth groups, etc., my personal experience is that you may very well experience holy, reverent, solemn worship in such a church.

Take your time. Look at other parishes. Look at Orthodox churches, look at Episcopal/ Anglican churches. Branch out further into other Protestant churches, including nondenominational Bible churches, which will feel foreign. It is not a sin to look or attend services.

Figure what is missing for you. There may be a parish near you that has a thriving youth program. The nondenomitional church with the wonderful youth group may have some teachings that don't feel right to you and may not be what you want for your dc. I take one of my dc to a mega church because they have a wonderful program for dc who have disabilities (it was painful to admit my own church was not safe for him, long story). I will not take my older teens even though the youth activities look fabulous. I find some of the teachings outside of the special needs program to not things I want emphasized to my dd. what is taught in the special needs program is very simplified Bible stories-- just what I want for ds, I have trouble with everything else. My point is check out the teachings and theology before you and your dc get rope into the cool activities.

I think what I see in your post is that there's two types of problems.  One spiritual and one practical.   It sounds (and I could be reading through the lines) that some practical aspects of your parish is not meeting your family's needs.  Perhaps for that one you need to change parish's or perhaps allow your kids to go to Prot. youth activities.  We did that with our older kid when we left a large Baptist church and went to a small liturgical Lutheran church.  The kids needed friends and some place fun to meet with other Christian kids.

The other part seems spiritual.  You say you're not getting anything out of Mass.  I would ask yourself Why?  Ask yourself - is Sunday Mass all about me?  If not, what is it about?   Maybe a good thing to do would be to learn more about your Catholic faith.  Perhaps this dissatisfaction is the Holy Spirit drawing you to a deeper experience with your Catholic faith - and you can't do that by sitting at Mass on Sunday.   Perhaps there's a book that would draw you in... maybe a book by a Prot. who converted to Catholicism (you'll really see your faith tradition in a new light)... maybe a book that explains the history and spirituality of the Mass and/or the Catholic church.   I don't know what would work best for you. 

That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with visiting a Prot. church one Sunday if you're curious.   I grew up Prot. (all sorts of traditions from hymns to bands and Charismatic worship)... but I'm Eastern Orthodox now.  I run into many cradle Orthodox who need to go through their own personal conversion.  They grew up with the Faith but there always comes a time when they need to learn more about their tradition get to a deeper level of appreciation and spirituality.

If your issue is just that your parish seems meh and you're not getting anything out of it, but your actual beliefs haven't changed, I would check out another parish before switching religions.

We ended up registered at a parish that's two towns over from us because that turned out to be the best fit. Nobody gave us a hard time for technically living in another parish's boundaries.

Another option would be to go to Saturday evening service at your Catholic church (or perhaps in another parish, to get a feel for it) and go to your friends' church on Sunday.  You'd be fulfilling your Catholic obligation to attend mass, while getting a chance to experience the non-Catholic church.

There are things I miss about the Catholic church, still.  There are some important differences in doctrine but there are commonalities too, one important one being faith in Jesus Christ.

My Dh was raised Catholic and is now Protestant.  Someone once asked his very devout Grandmother how she felt about the switch.  "He's still in church worshiping God, isn't he?" was her rather sharply delivered response.  No one bothered to question her about her grandson after that.  

Ă¢â‚¬Â¦ You can find a lot of fun in a Protestant service, but Jesus isn't in the Tabernacle.Â Ă¢â‚¬Â¦Â 

You may not find Jesus in the tabernacle in a protestant church, but you will find Him in the hearts of the believers.

Ephesians 3:17 - and that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, rooted and grounded in love

I personally left the Catholic church for a UU church.  UU accepts all faiths. There is a nearby Congregational church which would better meet our needs community-wise (they have a great boy scouts and wonderful community outreach to the poor, etc).  but I am just not comfortable with the theological beliefs of a Protestant church.  It's just not what I happen to believe, and I'd feel like a hypocrite there.

Short version: I think the spiritual/sacred is more important than the community aspect.  So I searched until I found a place that met my beliefs AND worked for my family.

But if you mainly go for the social and community aspects-which is fine- I'd go with the Protestant church.

Many of my Protestant cousins married Catholics.  They just go back and forth between churches.  Sometimes they go to the Catholic and sometimes to the Protestant.  It's not a big deal to them.  But, then, they are in south Louisiana - where people tend to live and let live anyway - so maybe that's a regional thing.

Well put.  And if this doesn't speak to you, wait a bit.  Then read.  Read lots.  Ask your priest for things to read.  Pray for conversion.  I too was born Catholic, then thought I was too smart for all that dogma stuff, and now am Catholic again and am so happy.

I grew up Protestant though we did not attend church regularly after I was around 10. I always enjoyed going to church as a kid and would go with any friends/family members that envited me. I dont remember attending any of those "fun" churches though my cousins were Pentacostal. DH grew up Catholic, and i enjoyed attending Mass with him and his family. After we married I converted. My kids have been raised catholic. My DD18 has always liked going to mass and participating in church activities. She liked the RE class, being al alter server, singing in the choir.

My DS, on the other hand absolutely hates everything. A couple of years ago we moved from a big surburban area to a small town with lots of Hispanic influence. I don't mean this in a bad way, just that the area is historically Hispanic and the Catholic Church here incorporates a lot of Hispanic traditions that we are not used to coming from a different background. Also, the priest is a bit odd, and often presents things as doctrine that are just plain wrong. Even after two years of regular attendance we still feel like visitors many days.

I live in a very rural area were there is only one Catholic Church, one Methodist, and one baptist church. Any other churches are at least 45 min away.

I am wrestling with the idea of allowing, or really encouraging, my DS to pick a different church to attend. I would much rather that he find a church that he likes and wants to attend then forcing him to continue participating in the Catholic Church by dragging his body there, and as soon as he is old enough he will run far away in the other direction.

I was raised Protestant, and there is no doubt that with the full scale electric bands and choirs, a "motivational speaker" style preacher, and large youth groups, Protestant services are more "entertaining".  I've come to realize though, the point of my attendance at mass is not "entertainment" but holy, reverent, and yes, solemn worship.  That's not meant to be offensive to Protestants, but this is my experience and preference having tried both sides plus atheism for a bit.  :confused1:

There are a lot of Protestant churches that don't do "entertaining" worship. Beyond a few differences (like you don't have to be baptized in the particular denomination to take communion), it can be a fairly similar worship. Depends on the church, and you won't know unless you try it.

At our church, we have a number of raised-Catholics/now Protestant folks. They needed something a little different, but not too different.

There are also a number of people attending who are of different faiths who have never converted or joined. That's perfectly fine too, and no one pressures them to conform. Some churches are really open to this. The feeling at our church about kids in the youth group who come from other religions is more one of helping out the community rather than trying to get the kids to convert.

There's no reason you shouldn't give the other church a try and see how it suits you. If it doesn't, then you know and you won't be always wondering.

Protestant services aren't about entertainment.  How incredibly offensive.

You may have been to a protestant church which was highly entertaining (or tried to be) but to equate Protestantism with substituting entertainment for Jesus, as Jesus being absent from their churches?  Holy crow.  

Father forgive them... 

OP, I don't know how to advise you but I can offer you hugs.  I hope you are able to work through what's missing.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

The title says it all. I am Catholic and lately I haven't been getting much from Mass. I have been Catholic my entire life and I doubt I would ever convert. That said, there are things that have bothered me about my local church. I have some good friends who go to a non dem. Protestant church that has a wonderful youth group, lots of families and a very intense and motivational preacher. My current church lacks all of the above. I guess I'd like to see how it is to go this church and experience something different.

Is this terrible? Is this okay? I am feeling like I'm betraying my current religion? Thoughts?

The Protestant church doesn't have the Eucharist.

If you are unhappy at your parish, go talk to the pastor. Don't leave the Church.

I think some folks here have a very wrong impression of Protestant churches and worship. 

"Protestant" is not a monolithic, same everywhere, designation.  So speaking only for my denomination, which is pretty traditional:  We have baptism (including infant baptism), and Lord's Supper.  We don't have entertainment during worship. We pray, and sing (mostly hymns and psalms), and hear the Word read and preached.   Sometimes we have picnics and lunches and get-togethers that are fun and entertaining outside of worship services - things we enjoy doing with our church family.    

My Roman Catholic baptism was accepted by my Presbyterian denomination (actually two of them now that I think about it) for membership - it's still baptism in the name of Jesus Christ!

Sure, there are different "flavors" of worship even within a denomination.   There are style/preference issues and there are doctrinal issues.  Don't think because a Protestant church has a rock-style band that they are not still teaching and preaching the Word of God.  They may be, and they may not be.  But the style of music is a superficial issue.

Obviously there are doctrinal differences between the Catholic and Protestant faiths and people thinking to make a change have to think deeply before doing that.  (Not that anyone was saying they were going to make a change thoughtlessly.)   There is nothing wrong with at least exploring the idea and seeing what other churches are like.  Even if a person doesn't convert, it can be good to see the differences, and the similarities as well.  

Thanks everyone. While my post may have seemed more lighthearted than it really is, I do want to stress that I don't expect church to entertain me. I am not looking at a singing, dancing TV style Protestant church( not that this is wrong either, just nt my style). The church I'm looking at is simple and straight forward, but the preacher touches on things that interest me and the community is strong.

I was hesitant to speak to the reasons that my current Church is leaving me cold but I will briefly. There are few families and while my kds attend CCD, it is once a month and the kids do not interact with each much.I sit in and most of the kids do not want to be there (these are teens in Confirmation). After Mass, everyone dashes off. There is no mingling, no neighborliness, nothing. It as been many years and we know almst no one at our church, despite volunteering, attending fish frys during Lent, etc. And most important, Mass just doesn't speak to me right now. Trust me when I say that this is a ME problem, I know that I get out of it what I put into it. I'm Catholic enough to not criticize a priest, let me just say that between his homily and my heart, we aren't connecting. I have prayed, I have watched DVDs, have read books and searched my soul as to why Mass hasn't fulfilled my needs. I have debated whether it was the devil, whether I was in dry spell, being tested. This is deeper than it appears but for right now, I feel a change might help me figure out what is going on with me.

You are Catholic, so I am going to answer as one Catholic to another.  I am going to be blunt with you.

You are Catholic.  The Catholic Church teaches that it is a mortal sin to miss Mass.  Protestant services are not Mass.  If you choose to attend another Church and not go to Mass, you will be in a state of mortal sin, according the Church you belong to and the rules you have chosen to follow.  Mortal sin is terrible.

Is it terrible to be curious about other churches? Of course not.  Is it terrible to wonder about having better music, a better youth program, a more enthusiastic pastor? No. 

But ask yourself why you are Catholic.  I am Catholic because it is true.  Nothing else competes with truth.  I am Catholic because of the Eucharist.  Nothing is ever going to compete with that.

Look for another parish.  Or look for ways to make your own parish the kind of place you want to spend your time. 

I do understand your frustration.  Many Catholics, me included at times, live with this.  But all churches have problems and when you switch churches, you switch your current set of problems for someone else's.  Be very clear about what you are leaving and why before you do that.  It usually is not the answer.

I see one word in Protestant. Protestant.

The Protestant faith was started on protest.  It walked away from the true faith to start their own.  I'm not looking to start a fight or anything, I just can't bear to see someone leave the real thing. 

Yes, many Protestant churches may all do things differently.  The Catholic church doesn't.  The Mass is conducted the same way it has been for thousands of years.  Please think about what you can do to make things more enjoyable for you.  You are visiting with Jesus himself!!  He's right there!  As well as legions of angels.  Do you know that at every Mass, the veil between heaven and earth are lifted?  And you are completely part of everything!

When you are attending Mass, focus on what is being said, read, spoken.  Meditate on what you're learning there.  You can't expect great things from something if you aren't putting in all the effort.  Pray.  Pray your rosary.  Pray constantly.  Read your bible.  Don't just skim through it, or read fast.  Take time to dwell on what that passage means. 

I wish you all the best, but please.  Don't leave.  Why don't you join the group here, "Crossing the Tiber".  It's very helpful.

God Bless.

Protestant services aren't about entertainment.  How incredibly offensive.

You may have been to a protestant church which was highly entertaining (or tried to be) but to equate Protestantism with substituting entertainment for Jesus, as Jesus being absent from their churches?  Holy crow.  

Father forgive them... 

OP, I don't know how to advise you but I can offer you hugs.  I hope you are able to work through what's missing.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

You misunderstood me.  I was speaking of the Catholic belief that Jesus is LITERALLY in the Eurcharist.  As in physically present. 

I know many Protestants who have a closer personal relationship with Jesus than I do Catholics- this is something Catholics need to work on. 

I see post after post after post on this board about people leaving this church or that church for another Protestant church because the pastor left and the new one just isn't as "good"- as in Charismatic, interpreting the Bible "correctly" according to that individual's criteria, etc.  Protestant churches are very tied with their leadership.  Catholic priests are almost just the "administer" of the mass, but the mass is much bigger than the priest is. 

And some lucky Catholic churches have wonderfl, charismatic priests who bring new life to the Tradition - I hope the OP finds one of these!

You are thinking of giving up the Eucharist and foregoing the sacramnets handed down to us by Jesus himself for entertainment? Do you really want to leave the fullness of our faith for another that doesn't/can't have that?

Please reconsider what you are about to do.

I'm pretty sure 'guilt' is a bad reason to stay in any religion.

Thanks everyone. While my post may have seemed more lighthearted than it really is, I do want to stress that I don't expect church to entertain me. I am not looking at a singing, dancing TV style Protestant church( not that this is wrong either, just nt my style). The church I'm looking at is simple and straight forward, but the preacher touches on things that interest me and the community is strong.

I was hesitant to speak to the reasons that my current Church is leaving me cold but I will briefly. There are few families and while my kds attend CCD, it is once a month and the kids do not interact with each much.I sit in and most of the kids do not want to be there (these are teens in Confirmation). After Mass, everyone dashes off. There is no mingling, no neighborliness, nothing. It as been many years and we know almst no one at our church, despite volunteering, attending fish frys during Lent, etc. And most important, Mass just doesn't speak to me right now. Trust me when I say that this is a ME problem, I know that I get out of it what I put into it. I'm Catholic enough to not criticize a priest, let me just say that between his homily and my heart, we aren't connecting. I have prayed, I have watched DVDs, have read books and searched my soul as to why Mass hasn't fulfilled my needs. I have debated whether it was the devil, whether I was in dry spell, being tested. This is deeper than it appears but for right now, I feel a change might help me figure out what is going on with me.

Go to Adoration.  Read St. John of the Cross and about the Dark Night of the Soul.  Look for saints who inspire you.  The Church is deep enough to meet your needs here. 

You may need to separate the Church from your parish.  I have had that happen.  Sometimes a parish is not a good fit.  Sometimes that kind of change is in order.  Sometimes trying another parish or an oratory or the Cathedral or a TLM or any number of options we have as Catholics can bring about spiritual renewal for us. 

Find a new devotion that really speaks to you. 

And then realize that you are making this more difficult than it needs to be.  Mass is not about you.  It is about worship.  It is all there for us.  All the angels and saints.  All of Heaven and Earth.  I get that you are not seeing that right now.  Sometimes we get more out of Mass than others.  Push through.  Do it anyway.  Look for other things to fulfill you, if you need to, but at some point you are probably going to realize that seeking that fulfillment can be fleeting.  Feelings are temporary.  They wax and wane. No matter where you go, there you are.  You take you with you.

I am not belittling what you are going through.  Believe me.  Most of us have been there.  I am just saying that there are other answers within the Church for you. 

I have prayed, I have watched DVDs, have read books and searched my soul as to why Mass hasn't fulfilled my needs. I have debated whether it was the devil, whether I was in dry spell, being tested. This is deeper than it appears but for right now, I feel a change might help me figure out what is going on with me.

I am Protestant and grew up that way, and I will pray that God undeniably leads you to where he wants you to be. I have more Catholic family than Protestant family, so I realize it's not an easy decision. I also left a church where I felt left out, and it was a relief to change (though it still takes work to belong). Most Protestant churches will welcome you and your kids to activities, study groups, etc. even if you do not attend regular services. I will warn you that some Protestants will not characterize your Catholic faith in a way that seems faithful to your understanding of it, but they should be able to articulate their own if you have questions (or at least I hope so!). It's hard to go through these kinds of feelings whether P or C.

Hebrews 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please him. For whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him. (Sounds like you are clearly seeking Him.)

Our Faith Formation program changed to a family style. It's once a month after Mass. We all first have lunch, a group song and brief talk, then break up by ages/classes.

We also have a post-Mass coffee and donut day once a month.

Maybe these are things you can bring to your Parish or look for?

Another idea is to ask the teacher of your child's class if you can organize a service project for the kids to do. Like a car wash with funds to go to a organization the kids choose within the diocese.

(hugs) praying for you!

I need to walk away. Some people here seem to have some ideas that they think apply to all protestant churches and consider all protestant churches the same. It's a bit offensive. Before you comment, perhaps you should state the type of church you attended. Making blanket statements is quite ignorant. There are protestant churches that have eucharist weekly. There are protestant churches that have a very traditional order of service and music. There are protestant churches that have something completely different going on. It is exactly the attitude that is projected that makes some protestants say Catholics aren't really Christian. I think that is wrong, but I think it is wrong to paint all protestant groups with one stroke too. 

I will repeat the OP needs to figure out what she needs spiritually and needs to visit other parishes and other denominations. 

I was hesitant to speak to the reasons that my current Church is leaving me cold but I will briefly. There are few families and while my kds attend CCD, it is once a month and the kids do not interact with each much.I sit in and most of the kids do not want to be there (these are teens in Confirmation). After Mass, everyone dashes off. There is no mingling, no neighborliness, nothing. It as been many years and we know almost no one at our church, despite volunteering, attending fish frys during Lent, etc. And most important, Mass just doesn't speak to me right now. Trust me when I say that this is a ME problem, I know that I get out of it what I put into it. I'm Catholic enough to not criticize a priest, let me just say that between his homily and my heart, we aren't connecting. I have prayed, I have watched DVDs, have read books and searched my soul as to why Mass hasn't fulfilled my needs. I have debated whether it was the devil, whether I was in dry spell, being tested. This is deeper than it appears but for right now, I feel a change might help me figure out what is going on with me.

I understand what you are saying, and I feel your pain.

Nevertheless, to leave the Catholic Church is to leave the Eucharist. Nothing in a Protestant church can replace that.

Blessed Mother Theresa spent 40 years feeling as if God was not speaking to her. She continued to do the work she believed He had called her to do. Maybe she can be an inspiration to you to continue through your own dark season.

Edited by Moderator
Let's not go there, please.

I am Catholic because of the Eucharist.  Nothing is ever going to compete with that.

Please forgive my ignorance. I don't understand this statement. I always thought -- and a quick search online just confirmed -- that "Eucharist" is the Catholic term for what we Protestants call "Communion" or "The Lord's Supper".

Please forgive my ignorance. I don't understand this statement. I always thought -- and a quick search online just confirmed -- that "Eucharist" is the Catholic term for what we Protestants call "Communion" or "The Lord's Supper".

Catholics believe that Jesus is present in the Eucharist, body, blood, soul and divinity. It is not just "communion," where crackers and grape juice are passed around (however meaningful that might be). Read John 6, and the accounts of the Last Supper, when Jesus broke the bread and gave it to His disciples and told them that it was His body, broken for them; and that the wine was His blood, shed for them. IOW, Catholics don't believe that the bread and the wine are symbolic; they believe that they are actually the Body and Blood of Jesus. To leave the Catholic Church is to leave the Body and Blood of Jesus.

I'm pretty sure 'guilt' is a bad reason to stay in any religion.

That isn't guilt. That is fact. As Catholics we believe we have Jesus in the Eucharist. We believe we have the fullness of faith that cannot be replicated elsewhere. I'm asking sincerely if the OP has considered what she would be losing by giving up the Eucharist and the Sacraments. She can't get those things from a non-Catholic Christian church with the exception of an EO church. But she didn't say she was converting to EO. So my questions are valid and stand as fair questions.

Find another Parish. I have a thriving parish that has tripled in size the past few years. We have a full events schedule, always a study or group you can join in, Squires for boys, Squirettes for girls. *Packed* CCD that is every week-so full we do two days. 

Really. Look. We have a Priest that is ON FIRE for God, and is so filled with the Holy Spirit. 

First, and foremost, you would be giving up the Eucharist, and that is no small matter. 

I just became Catholic 1 year ago. I will never leave. The Eucharist is everything. It is all. I could never give that up. Combined with my Parish and family, I am the richest woman in the world. 

If you leave, do your Priest a favor and share with him why. He can't fix what he doesn't know is broken.

No, the Eucharist is so much more than communion. The Eucharist is Jesus. Literally.

This web page may help you, and others, understand when Catholics talk about the Eucharist we are talking about so much more than a symbolic communion.

http://www.thecatholicthing.org/columns/2011/the-eucharist-a-cannibalism.html

Catholics believe that Jesus is present in the Eucharist, body, blood, soul and divinity. It is not just "communion," where crackers and grape juice are passed around (however meaningful that might be). Read John 6, and the accounts of the Last Supper, when Jesus broke the bread and gave it to His disciples and told them that it was His body, broken for them; and that the wine was His blood, shed for them. IOW, Catholics don't believe that the bread and the wine are symbolic; they believe that they are actually the Body and Blood of Jesus. To leave the Catholic Church is to leave the Body and Blood of Jesus.

:iagree:  And, in Jn 6, he doubled down after the Jews started to leave him. He used the word Trogain. Which is to *gnaw* at, to tear flesh. 

Jesus wasn't stupid, he could have said, "Wait guys! I was just using that word symbolically! I didn't actually mean you have to EAT me."

But, he never did. He doubled down and used the word Trogain, to gnaw, to tear at His flesh. 

THAT is the Eucharist. It's not symbolic. 

First off, in my church, crackers and grape juice are not simply "passed around". We do not take communion lightly. It is a very solemn part of our services. The pastor reminds us of its meaning, Scripture is read -- Jesus' own words --, each element is prayed over, and then we partake together. I have been in Protestant churches of many (and non) denominations, and while the details may vary, I have never seen it taken as lightly as you seem to think.

Jesus often spoke in parables and used analogies and all kinds of word imagery. He was not physically a gate, or a shepherd or a vine. I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that His statements at the Last Supper were similarly symbolic.

Second, if the OP believes that the bread and wine literally become the Body and Blood, why couldn't she believe that in another setting other than the Catholic church?

Third, the Lutheran Church -- founded on the teachings of the original Protester -- teachings on the Eucharist seem to be in line with what you believe.

Finally, as a Protestant, I celebrate the concept that my faith, my identity, my unity, my relationship is with Christ Himself. I do not need a particular building, or man who has a certain education or training, or a set of ceremonies, or just the right words, for me to experience that truly life-giving, affirming relationship with Him. Even if I were somehow separated from any formal church, I would not be separated from Him. I find it incredibly sad that you would have that sense of loss.

:iagree:  And, in Jn 6, he doubled down after the Jews started to leave him. He used the word Trogain. Which is to *gnaw* at, to tear flesh.

Can you be more specific? John has many verses. The only reference to Trogain that I am finding online is one site that basically says what you're saying. I'd like to be able to use my Strong's Concordance to dig further.

Please know that I am truly not trying to be simply argumentative. I want to understand. I am not among those Protestants who believe that Catholics are so wrong as to be beyond salvation. (Before you get offended at that thought, please realize that you are saying that Protestants are beyond salvation.) I do believe, however, that Martin Luther was (mostly) spot-on with his disagreements with what the church was (and still is) requiring of its members.

I personally left the Catholic church for a UU church.  UU accepts all faiths. There is a nearby Congregational church which would better meet our needs community-wise (they have a great boy scouts and wonderful community outreach to the poor, etc).  but I am just not comfortable with the theological beliefs of a Protestant church.  It's just not what I happen to believe, and I'd feel like a hypocrite there.

Short version: I think the spiritual/sacred is more important than the community aspect.  So I searched until I found a place that met my beliefs AND worked for my family.

But if you mainly go for the social and community aspects-which is fine- I'd go with the Protestant church.

We also left the Catholic Church for a UU church and a fairly wide search for a home. I think you should feel empowered to find a community meaningful to you. I like poppy's point about the spiritual vs. the community. Our UU church is mostly filling both needs for me right now.

Can you be more specific? John has many verses. The only reference to Trogain that I am finding online is one site that basically says what you're saying. I'd like to be able to use my Strong's Concordance to dig further.

Please know that I am truly not trying to be simply argumentative. I want to understand. I am not among those Protestants who believe that Catholics are so wrong as to be beyond salvation. (Before you get offended at that thought, please realize that you are saying that Protestants are beyond salvation.) I do believe, however, that Martin Luther was (mostly) spot-on with his disagreements with what the church was (and still is) requiring of its members.

Really, the whole chapter builds up to John 6:53-59. Jesus spent a long time preparing his listeners for those verses. And if you read to the end of the chapter, you'll see the response of His listeners, who understood clearly that He was not speaking metaphorically. All left Him except the 12.

Please note that I didn't say that Protestants are beyond salvation. :-) I said that the Protestant communion is not the Eucharist.

If you have the time and resources, would you consider going on a retreat? Perhaps contact you diocese or puruse their website to see what reflection type events might be going on. Adoration is a great option too. Even just sitting with the Blessed Sacrament with no formal prayer might help bring some things into focus.

Edited to address the OP instead of the tangents.