Menu

How about a baby boy name thread?

We had a way easier time naming boys, which is awesome since we ended up with so many.

We have just one daughter, and she was a week old before we decided on a name for her.

The boys were all named before the pee dried on the stick LOL.

Any names or name types you like or dislike? Give us some parameters :)

And congratulations!

One unusual name I heard not too long ago is Killian. I Iike it phonetically, but they called him "Kill" for a nickname, and I couldn't get past it. Some names I don't see very often (pulled from a baby name database). Alaric, Archer, Alton, Avery, Ajax, Brock, Barrett, Boone, Beckett, Cash, Cedric, Clayton.

Any names or name types you like or dislike? Give us some parameters :)

I don't like names that are common, i.e. Ryan, Brian, Andrew, Jason, James, William, Bob etc. I don't really care for biblical names. I'm not sure I really like older names either as they usually fall under the category of common or wierd. ;) I think I like more modern names however they seem to be more common since they are modern. lol I'm glad we still have a few months to figure this out.

On a side note, what did you do about your daughters birth certificate if you didn't give her a name for a week?

On a side note, what did you do about your daughters birth certificate if you didn't give her a name for a week?

Not the poster who posted this story originally, but we aren't able to name our babies very quickly, either. My babies were both born at home and my midwife had up to 10 days to submit the paperwork for the birth certificate. We also changed my DD's name a bit after the birth certificate had been sent to us and it just took both DH and I indicating the change we wanted and then having it notarized. I've heard you can make one change in baby's first year without too much trouble.

I believe it is very possible to leave the hospital with baby named "Baby LastName", though I doubt many people do it.

I don't like names that are common, i.e. Ryan, Brian, Andrew, Jason, James, William, Bob etc. I don't really care for biblical names. I'm not sure I really like older names either as they usually fall under the category of common or wierd. ;) I think I like more modern names however they seem to be more common since they are modern. lol I'm glad we still have a few months to figure this out.

Drake

Wyatt

Nolan

Owen

Emmett / Everett

Landon

Ted/Theodore

Spencer / Spence

Townes

Colton / Colt

Gage

Pierce

Ellis

Carter / Carson

Truman

Cole

As for my daughter, they sent me a name form. I filled it out, sent it back, and they then recorded the name on her birth certificate. Couldn't have been easier :)

Oh, also, I like to look at the Baby Name Voyager to make sure a name I like is not spiking in popularity. If I like a name, it's possible that there's some kind of trend leading bunches of people to like it at the same time, you know?

Beware of looking at just the overall popularity of a name, because it's entirely possible for a name to be far more popular in one's own social circle than overall in the U.S. This happened with my DS' name. It was barely in the top 100 on the Social Security list the year he was born but it turned out to be super-popular in my own social circle. DS was 1 of 5 boys with the name in the HS support group where we lived from '06 through '09. I've learned to call out both his first & middle name at the playground because inevitably if I call just his first name, I'll get multiple kids coming up to me.

We have a Nolan, though I really wanted to name him Cullen. It was before I knew about Twilight.

We also have a Griffin. Both not weird, but not common, lol.

Some of the names that were on our lists:

Beckett

Cole

Trevor

Cade

Logan

Finn

Curtis

We like strong traditional names - nothing weird. I've always been partial to Peter (we have one). It's a nice traditional name that you don't hear very often either. Also, Stephen, Timothy (we have one of those too), Andrew, Trevor, Phillip,

We have a Peter. So far, he's never met another person with that name.

We have friends that named their son after the mom's maiden name. So he is an Elliot. It's a really cute name and we never hear of others with that same first name.

You can't throw a rock around here without hitting a Peter.

Here, it's one of those never-out-of-style names.

Beware of looking at just the overall popularity of a name, because it's entirely possible for a name to be far more popular in one's own social circle than overall in the U.S. This happened with my DS' name. It was barely in the top 100 on the Social Security list the year he was born but it turned out to be super-popular in my own social circle. DS was 1 of 5 boys with the name in the HS support group where we lived from '06 through '09. I've learned to call out both his first & middle name at the playground because inevitably if I call just his first name, I'll get multiple kids coming up to me.

This is so true in the area where I live. Brayden, Jackson, and Jayden are very popular names for boys under the age of eight. I can imagine that in a few years the local elementary school will overrun with boys with those names. We named DS one of the most popular names for the year he was born (and it has been one of the most popular since) yet growing up he rarely met up with another boy around his age with the same name.

The Social Security website will let you search popular names by year, decade, and State.

I named my children for Tolkien characters.

Some favorites for boys that we shortlisted but didn't use:

Feanor

Bard

Beorn

Elros & Elrond-- twin names

Elrohir & Elladan--twin names

Celeborn

Arathorn

Other literary/pop culture names I considered:

Vanyel

Anakin

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Some of the ones I like so far are:

Everett (this was already on my list ;) ) and Carter

Does that show how picky I am when it comes to names. :lol:

I relate. Too well LOL.

I definitely know what I do NOT like, I only wish I knew as well what I DID like!

Good luck finding that perfect name :)

Feanor

Bard

Beorn

Celeborn

Arathorn

Vanyel

Anakin

I would love to know which ones you decided to go with!

Oh, also, I like to look at the Baby Name Voyager to make sure a name I like is not spiking in popularity. If I like a name, it's possible that there's some kind of trend leading bunches of people to like it at the same time, you know?

I had to try this just for kicks... yeah, one of my kids' names doesn't even show up on it and the other two are in the 800-900 range. :D

So it's questionable as to whether or not I'll have any names that the OP would care for lol... :lol: But here are some I've always liked but would never use personally (too common lol):

Joshua

Caleb

Liam

Noah

Jonah

Luke (though that is one of my boys' middle name)

Logan

Gavin

Tyler

Xander

Alex/Alec

Kai (not common, but I couldn't use it because it would have been like naming two kids the same thing lol...)

I think that's probably it... I had run out of boy names I liked by the time I was pregnant with Pink - thank goodness she was a girl!!

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Some of the ones I like so far are:

Everett (this was already on my list ;) ) and Carter

Does that show how picky I am when it comes to names. :lol:

So, Everett Carter it is - done! Good job! :D

After nearly two decades in public and private education and thousands of students, my favorite baby name advice is this...

Pick a name that sounds good with the word "President" in front of it. Seriously. Picture it at the top of a resume because one day it will be and some of these goofy, trendy names that people pick just baffle me. "Apple" may sound like a cute name for a baby girl but that baby grows up and that is not such a cute name for a professional and an adult. ;)

• 2 months later...

Feanor

Bard

Beorn

Celeborn

Arathorn

Vanyel

Anakin

Love! I wanted to find a Tolkien middle name for my newest little guy but couldn't think of one that fit with our other names. And we didn't end up with an Anakin, but my big kids are envious that our middle child got Luke for his middle name. :)

I'm not much help to the OP, because all of my boys have common Biblical names. But two names I like a lot are Avery and Grant.

Also, OP, it took us five days to name one boy and three for another. And at least one name we chose wasn't even on our short list, but it so very clearly fits him, so you might surprise yourself.