Menu

some really good musicals for the whole family?

jenniferlee

We just went to see a high school performance of Oliver. It was pretty good, but not great. But it made me really want to see some great musicals, even if they are just on video. We haven't watched any except sound of music. So I need your best suggestions. And tell me if would be good for all the kids (ages 7-15) or just the olders. and please include the best version if there is more than one.

Jen

I love musicals!

My favorites:

Oklahoma

American in Paris

Easter Parade

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Funny Girl

The Music Man

My Fair Lady

White Christmas

Fiddler on the Roof

Singing in the Rain

It depends how picky you want to be for the younger kids. My children enjoyed White Christmas, Singing in the Rain, The Music Man, and Easter Parade when they were younger.

White Christmas

Yankee Doodle Dandy

Meet Me in St. Louis

My children have seen all of these, and have been watching them for several years, so I don't have a problem with any of them for the ages you've listed.

ITA with Music Man!! Love it.

We saw The Drowsy Chaperone last year for the first time.... it was absolutely hysterical... but I don't know if it's for "the entire family." It was a high school production tho....

Guys and Dolls is funny, depending on the production...

Big Thumbs Down for me is Carousel... ICK. The messages in that play ...... just ick.

White Christmas

Yankee Doodle Dandy

Meet Me in St. Louis

My children have seen all of these, and have been watching them for several years, so I don't have a problem with any of them for the ages you've listed.

I can't believe I forgot Yankee Doodle Dandy and Meet Me in St. Louis! Both are great for kids.

Do you want stage versions which were filmed or film versions of musicals?

Peter Pan with Mary Martin (stage version which I believe was filmed; appropriate for whole family)

Mary Poppins with Julie Andrews & Dick van Dyke (film version; I think OK for the whole family, more sensitive kids may not like when the 2 kids run away from their dad at the bank. Also Dick van Dyke does a horrible (IMO) cockney accent)

Oklahoma (i don't know if a staged version was ever filmed; I think it's OK for the whole family; but, others think the dream scene is too intense for youngers)

West Side Story (probably best for olders)

Sound of Music (either the stage or film versions are good; appropriate for whole family, very slightly scary scenes w/Nazis)

Oliver! (check out the film version. I think it's appropriate for the whole family; but, you know your youngers)

South Pacific (I think only a film version is available. Set in the Pacific during WW2. Probably best for olders due to themes)

Annie. (good for whole family)

I watched all of these as a child and my kids have also seen them without any ill effects. I'm sure I'm leaving out some good ones. Just look up Rogers & Hammerstein musicals.

Have fun!

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

Music Man -- original version with Robert Preston and Shirley Jones

Annie -- version with Kathy Bates -- the version with Carol Burnett portrays her as a drunkard, has the orphans and maids flashing their panties as they frenetically dance around, and changes the plot, plus includes swearing

Enchanted

Bye Bye Birdie

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Once Upon a Mattress

Sound of Music

Annie Get Your Gun

Peter Pan

White Christmas

SIngin in the Rain

Mary Poppins

HIgh School Musical (if you can stand it yourself)

Wizard of Oz

Only available live:

Seussical (Edited to add -- dd just pointed out that sometimes the Cat can be creepy in this -- she just played the Cat, and was absolutely awesome, but I can see her point.)

You're a Good Man Charlie Brown

Notes on some mentioned above:

Carousel is the leftover music from Oklahoma -- avoid Carousel, it's truly awful for many, many reasons.

My kids did NOT want to watch Oklahoma -- the entire business about Jud is incredibly creepy, with hints of rape

Dd thinks Oliver is rated PG13

My Fair Lady is long, and may be boring for anyone younger than about 12ish

FIddler on the Roof is really really REALLY long, too, although it's great

I don't care for this one, I always forget about the scantily clad Carol Burnett in a tub full of Gin. It is funny, but I'm not comfortable with my young kids watching it.

Get the Kathy Bates version. It is sooooo much better, and truer to the stage version. Someone gave dd the Carol Burnett version on DVD when dd portrayed Miss Hannigan on stage -- dd threw it out in disgust. She wouldn't even donate it to Goodwill because she thought no one should have to watch it ever.

I don't care for this one, I always forget about the scantily clad Carol Burnett in a tub full of Gin. It is funny, but I'm not comfortable with my young kids watching it.

Lol. I love Carol Burnett. That scene went right over my young kids' heads (let's see, 6-8 or so?). But, you're right, everyone needs to evaluate for their own families. Annie isn't my favorite by a long shot, though.

OP, you might also consider "The King and I" and "Fiddler on the Roof". Both of these have slightly...hmmm...intense (?) scenes, but nothing over the top.

My Fair Lady is another one. (film version. Probably OK for the whole family)

Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella (the 1965 version with Lesley Ann Warren). My kids LOVE this - they call it "Old Cinderella" and randomly burst into the songs.

There is also a 1997 version starring Brandi as Cinderella and Whitney Houston as the fairy godmother. The songs are still good, but it doesn't have the charm of "Old Cinderella."

chitty-chitty bang bang

1776 (they made a musical out of the signing of the declaration of independence. the littles might be bored, but my kids were paying attention by jr high. oh - and quoting.)

a seattle children's theater production of snow white they made into a musical. I recorded it off tv at the time.

an american tail. animated, aimed at children.

fiddler on the roof

gigi

the king and I with yul brynner and deborah kerr

west side story is a classic for olders.

the mikado - english national opera with eric idle as koko. my absolute favorite version.

My favorite musicals:

Sound of Music(my kids enjoy this one)

Marry Poppins(The girls love this especially my 5 year old)

Fiddler on the Roof(Haven't shown the kids yet kinda long)

Newsies(How could you guys have forgotten this one? All of my kids loved it especially my 5 year old dd.)

Annie(My older two kids watched it once and liked it.)

Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella old or new.(My girls love the new one haven't seen the old yet.)

Singing in the Rain

The King and I

My Fair Lady

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers(All four of my kids liked this one.)

White Christmas (My oldest liked this.)

Music Man

Enchanted(The girls love this.)

The Wizard of Oz(The kids all enjoyed this.)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory(My kids love the new one. They have never seen the old one because I can't stand it. :leaving: )

The Phantom of the Opera(Not for young children maybe teens.)

The Muppet Movie(Not sure if this is considered a musical but we all like it.)

Popeye with Robin Williams(The kids all love it.)

Many of the ones mentioned but there are also animated versions of both "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" and its sequel, "Snoopy, the Musical". My girls love these and love to sing the songs.

Took the girls to see "Singin in the Rain" last year on the big screen. They both loved it (8 and 10 at the time). My oldest is now completely in love with Gene Kelly.