1. 1. What do you call your father?

• Dad
    • Da
    • Daddy
    • Father
    • I call him by his given name
    • I can't say in polite company
    • Other - explain in comments

A friend of mine posts on FB constantly about her "Daddy". This woman is late 30s. It strikes me that she's a little old to be calling her father "Daddy". And a little young (since most Southern ladies I know who do this are much older and from a different generation) to be calling him "Daddy". Maybe it's me but it feels like an affectation.

Where I live in the south, it's very common for people of all ages to call their father "daddy." I think it's sweet.

I'm 50. My father passed away a few years ago, and I called him daddy up until the day he died. Almost all my friends (male and female) refer to their father as daddy. My boys, 14 and 17, call DH daddy.

I assure you in my little part of the south it's very genuine, and in no way an affectation.

My father died when I was 21 but I still refer to him as daddy. I'm positive I would still be calling him daddy. I still call my mother 'mama'. I can't imagine using any other names. That's who they are to me. I guess it makes sense if it seems childish. Technically I'm their child. I hope my children never start calling me mother. ugh

I'm 50. My father passed away a few years ago, and I called him daddy up until the day he died. Almost all my friends (male and female) refer to their father as daddy. My boys, 14 and 17, call DH daddy.

I assure you in my little part of the south it's very genuine, and in no way an affectation.

I've never really thought about it, because it's so common in the south. My dad is in his eighties and I'm in my forties and I still call him Daddy or Granddaddy. I usually use Granddaddy in a family group situation, but Daddy most of the rest. (drives ds crazy because he is constantly asking, "Do you mean my daddy or your daddy?") I can't imagine using Dad or Father, though I do refer to him as "my dad" or "my father" to other people. My 15yo calls dh Daddy, also.

(I'm not sure how common the Granddaddy thing is, but my parents first had grandchildren when I was 10 and they lived with us on and off, so everyone in the house started referring to them as Grandma and Granddaddy.)

I do think it's a regional thing. I don't find it strange when I hear people calling their Dad "Daddy", especially if they are from the south I expect it, but it would probably come across as a little weird in print.

I call mine "Dad."

ETA: My dh is from the south and has a southern accent. He still calls his mom "Mama". He calls me "Mama" too. I find it very sweet. :)

I called my father daddy until I was 8 or 9; then I wouldn't have called him anything but 'dad" because I thought "Daddy" was childish. But he died when I was 17 and I find that when I think about him and talk about him to my siblings, it's always "daddy."'

I do think it is a cultural thing, though .. as in regional. However, since people move so much now, regions are becoming more irrelavent and it may just be a family thing.

Kind of like women/girls/ladies. Once we had a discussion on another forum about the use of those terms. Many people are offended by ladies and girls. I am offended by girls. I mean, I am not a girl. But some people found lady/ladies to be insulting. I was never sure why. No one was insulted by women but some found it too formal or too oldish. So, I think your freind is probably saying what is natural to her but sound unnatural to you.

I never thought anyone would care.... I had no idea people thought it was weird to hear grown women saying "daddy". I'm 34, my daddy died about 8 years ago and I cant imagine him being anything other than daddy. My 30yo brother still refers to him as daddy. My dad up until the day he died called my grandaddy, daddy. My moms side is the same way. My papa was daddy to all his kids. Even his grown sons. We've always referred to our moms as mama.

My daddy died twenty-four years ago, but I always called him, "Daddy." My dh calls his father, "Dad." When my ds has children, I think my dh wants "Big Daddy" to be his grandfather name. I have found that to be a pretty common grandpa name in the South.

If I am talking to him, I call him dad or daddy. We live VERY close to my dad and my kids call him Papa, I often call him that too. When DH and I talk about him he is either Papa or Pops, or in DH's case, Eric (his given name).

I call my father "daddy" more often than not (although sometimes it's "dad", but that's rare; somewhat frequently it's "papa" because that is what my children call him). When it's me talking to him, though, it's generally "daddy". I am almost 30.

I also call my mother "mommy" when I'm not around my children (when my children are present, it's usually "Gamma").

My husband calls his father "dad"; he still refers to his mother as "mommy" (she passed when he was only 11 years old) and his late grandmother as "mom-mom" (she helped his father raise him and his brother after their mother passed). My husband is almost 45.

I'm pretty weird on this and I don't know why; but I can't change it (have tried in the past). I don't call them (my biological father, my stepfather, my mother, etc) anything. I may use a certain word ABOUT each of them; but I don't address ANY of them with a term or name directly.

I don't talk to my biological family, so they don't get called anything by me. But if I refer to them in conversation, I've always said "my biological father" or "my biological mother." My adoptive parents are Mom and Dad.

I don't find Daddy to be all that odd. It's pretty common in Southern families. My husband's great-aunt is still called Sister even though her only brother died in Korea. And Mema or Pawpaw are also common to hear in his family.

A friend of mine posts on FB constantly about her "Daddy". This woman is late 30s. It strikes me that she's a little old to be calling her father "Daddy". And a little young (since most Southern ladies I know who do this are much older and from a different generation) to be calling him "Daddy". Maybe it's me but it feels like an affectation.

So now I'm curious. What do you call your father?

Me - I call me father "Da". Always have.

Dead.

But in conversation, I refer to him as "my daddy." Or when telling a story about him, I might say "Then Dad gave us that look ..." When he was alive, I used Daddy or Dad interchangeably depending on the mood of the situation. If I was calling him on the phone for a regular ol' chat, I'd say "Hey Daddy, how's it going today?" If he was getting stubborn about something, I might say, "Now, Dad... you know better than that."

FWIW, I called my mother Mom or Mommy interchangeably, as well. It just felt like the natural thing to do. I don't think of it as odd at all. Rather, I always find it odd when people call their parents by their first names. YMMV, of course.