Menu

Girls and make up

DragonFaerie

Make up?  

221 members have voted

1. 1. At what age would you allow your daughter to start wearing make up?

• Younger than 11
    • Older than 13
    • Never

There are some 5th grade girls around here that look like, um,,, well - they could be part of the oldest profession. :scared: This is due to clothes and makeup....

Anyway, I said 13, but maybe closer to 14...I have blond eyelashes, so I started wearing mascara at about 13 to make it look like I had eyelashes! For a VERY long time I only wore mascara and maybe a tiny bit of pressed powder to make my face less shiny. I remember at my wedding (I was 18) my mom MADE me wear lipstick so that "my lips would show up in the photos". I always only wore clear lip gloss/balm.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't put any rules on make-up. The girls usually try some out when they're younger, but I smile and tell them they are beautiful. My older dd wore some eye shadow and colored lip gloss pretty frequently until school started this year. Her charter school has a very strict dress code include NO makeup for 6-8 grades except pink or red nail polish. No perfume for anyone. No earrings larger than a quarter. No other visible jewelry unless it is religious and you have a note from your parents. At 9th grade, the girls can wear makeup, but again there are restrictions on color, placement and such. Since starting school, she hasn't worn makeup at all. Younger dd wears eye shadow and colored lipgloss sometimes, but we don't make a big deal about it.

My parents were severely against makeup which of course led me to sneak makeup and put it on when I was away from them. The first time the issue came up here, I decided I didn't want to make a big deal of something harmless.

You need an, "it depends". My girls were older, but I would say it depends on her skin. Does she have a lot of blemishes yet? It is "blotchy"? Is she super pale?

Also, does she just want to wear a bit of lip gloss?

What is she considering "make-up"

If she's in school, than I can appreciate the pressure she could be feeling. Maybe there is a way you could compromise, like with a bit of lip gloss and neutral eye shadow.

It also depends upon what you mean by makeup. Some makeup I'd probably allow at 12 if my child were in school. But not heavy eye makeup. I was allowed to wear light makeup when I started 7th grade and that was in 1964. Seems like almost 50 years later, it would still be okay. (-:

Oh Firefly, your post reminded me of a picture that dh kept in his office. Our dd was just about 2 years old and she found a green marker. She smeared it all over her lips and slobbery face like lipstick and she thought she looked beautiful. It was funny and I'm so glad I snapped a picture.

make-up really needs defining. before 13, I *might*, (might mind you) allow clear -lip gloss. My girls really weren't interested in make-up, and it was never really an issue. I do think by having 'ages' for things, kids have "perks" to look forward to and be excited about.

I teach middle schoolers at church and don't see much until around age 13 - somewhere in the 7th-8th grade years. None of my 6th graders wear more than nail polish and lip balm. But most of my girls come from pretty conservative families.

My almost 9-year-old wears nail polish and lip balm. She has makeup that she can "play" with at home. I will definitely consider powder when her skin starts getting oily, and might consider a little blush before 13, but otherwise I'm in the "13 is when you wear makeup for real, and first you learn how to do it the right way" camp. I don't think I'd totally forbid it earlier than 13, but I do have some positive peer pressure on my side, because no one else wears it until that age.

I don't care for the idea of turning makeup into a "perk" -- I'd rather my girls view it as a "take it or leave it" blasĂƒÂ© part of hygiene -- and ordinary thing that we wear sometimes when we want to look extra nice (or if we have a blemish that could use a disguse).

I voted older than 13. I don't wear make-up and never really have. I think that most girls want to wear make-up because it makes them feel older and more mature. I don't want my child to think that outward appearances make her more mature, and I don't want her to be perceived as older. I want my child to be a child; that's a big part of why we homeschool.

I prefer a natural look. I don't like the way make-up looks or smells. (And I can smell it on other people.) I don't like or wear perfume, either.

I'll be surprised if dd11 ever is interested in make-up. Dd18 started wearing it at 15.

Tara

I voted 13. I let dd wear mineral powder and Burt's bees lip balm at 12. She's always had nail polish. Most of her friends wear full face of makeup. I had a full face of makeup at 13. I looked ridiculous. :blushing:

I have issues. I admit I am posting (and parenting) straight from my issues on this topic. (Probably several others, but I'll cop to this one ;))

I'd allow my dd to wear make up the moment she asks. I'd let her use mine if she wanted. But I'd make a date of it. I'd take her to the best make up counter my current budget would allow, and I'd allow the make up artist to interact with her about make up, skin care, etc. I'd give feedback and suggestions, but mostly, I'd be loving, positive and encouraging. I'd buy what she wanted that I could afford and I'd take her to lunch.

It seems to me that we want our kids to show signs of maturity when it conveniences us (often chores, schoolwork, behavior with other humans) but not when it makes us uncomfortable for whatever reason (often around issues of gender, attraction, sexuality, *adult* maturity.

My mom didn't "let" me use tampons or shave my legs. I didn't feel honored, protected, or cherished or appropriately sheltered. I felt less womanly, as if I couldn't decide what cultural behaviors I wanted to use/embrace.

Ultimately, I became a no make up wearing, thrift store clothes buying frumpy mom who wanted to fly under the radar with my looks. No doubt my weight is also tied into that.

I won't apologize, but I don't any my daughter to have to adopt some (other) feminist's idea of what "natural" is, or what "freedom" or "equality" is for her attractiveness.

I won't apologize, but I don't want my daughter to equate having playful fun "making up" herself to sexual promiscuity (whatever THAT is).

I won't apologize, but I don't want my daughter to buy into some arbitrary standard - from any extreme - in terms of how she should express her feminitiy.

Instead, I am going to trust that if she expresses the desire for make up, she's moving into a space where interacting with make up is something I can trust her with. I'm not going to bog her down with MY baggage, my stuff, my issues. I'm going to respond to her, her needs, and trust that I've done an adequate job and if she wears "too much", she'll handle it (she did), or if she is inconsistent with facial cleansing, she'll get it (she will).

I grew up hiding that I was a woman in some insidious ways. It wasn't until Christmas of this year that I began to wear make up regularly (since being a teen). I did it because it honored my developing soul. Now that Adrian has moved out, my dd moved into my bathroom and we share primping space daily. I love that she is growing up without the stupid, arbitrary, dumb, life numbing rules I did.

She's lovely and wonderful and what is on her face (or not) isn't correlated to her soul or character.

It seems to me that we want our kids to show signs of maturity when it conveniences us (often chores, schoolwork, behavior with other humans) but not when it makes us uncomfortable for whatever reason (often around issues of gender, attraction, sexuality, *adult* maturity.

I won't apologize, but I don't any my daughter to have to adopt some (other) feminist's idea of what "natural" is, or what "freedom" or "equality" is for her attractiveness.

I won't apologize, but I don't want my daughter to equate having playful fun "making up" herself to sexual promiscuity (whatever THAT is).

I won't apologize, but I don't want my daughter to buy into some arbitrary standard - from any extreme - in terms of how she should express her feminitiy.

She's lovely and wonderful and what is on her face (or not) isn't correlated to her soul or character.

I loved this entire post. Loved loved loved it. Thank you. These ^^^ were my favorite resonating bits.

One of the funnest things you can do with your daughter (even son, I imagine)? Play the no mirror make-up challenge. DD gathered up supplies from both our stashes and let me get to it. We play this way too much, and the last time we did it, I forgot that I'd done it earlier and needed to run out for milk. Black glittery smoky eyes (I always overdo it on purpose, may as well) bronzer, OMG the bronzer, and hot pink lipstick. I didn't even get picked up! Maybe if I'd've borrowed some of my youngest's cheetah print. :p

I let my dd get a makeover and purchase makeup for her 13th birthday.

We did this for DD as well. I took her to Clinique for a makeover so they could show her how to do age-appropriate makeup. Then we bought her some makeup of her own.

DD has an 11 year old friend that wears makeup, and she comes from a conservative and modest family. I'm not sure why they allow it, but I assumed it was because "everyone" else wears it at that age too. Obviously, I don't know a lot of 11 year old girls to confirm that.

Yes, I am definitely behind showing how to do it nicely and buying good makeup. I love the idea of a little makeover at 13. My mom didn't do that for me - she basically handed me makeup and then criticized me for "putting it on with a trowel." Thanks for teaching me how to use it properly. :glare:

My mother's tactic was to not forbid it at any age. I remember going to school (starting around 5th grade) and girls would put it on in the morning after their parents dropped them off and then wiped it off before being picked up. I didn't wear makeup at all even though I would not have had to hide the fact.

Sometimes forbidding something makes it more enticing.

This is exactly what my Mom did. I remember in middle school being into blue eyeshadow for awhile. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m sure I looked ridiculous. I quickly lost interest in makeup and once I was in high school rarely wore it or just a little bit. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s only now that IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve hit about 40 that IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve started to wear it more regularly.

I think makeup is one of those things that adults equate with girls growing up too fast or trying to look sexy when a lot of time itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s just girls playing around and having fun. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s part of the normal process of figuring out who you are and playing with your looks. I think itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s similar to my 3 year olds insistence that her clothes mis-match, she likes it that way. Somehow it expresses her inner style, which is very very different than mine. :)

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll have to figure out what our rules will be for stuff like this as our girl gets older but right now IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d like to have no hard and fast rule. I think that part of parenting is teaching what is socially appropriate. So just like I teach my boys not to wear plaid and stripes together or to not wear tennis shoes to nice events, I would try and guide my daughter in how to wear makeup appropriately. Exactly what that means would probably depend on her own desires and the event and the kind of makeup.

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand why 11 people on here let their daughters wear makeup at age 10 or younger. Unless they are models or something, I can see no reason to let a CHILD wear makeup. Why can children be allowed to be children instead of making them grow up so soon? There is time enough for them to be an adult when the time comes. My daughter and my neice played with PLAY makeup when they were children, but neither of them wore makeup at that age.

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand why 11 people on here let their daughters wear makeup at age 10 or younger. Unless they are models or something, I can see no reason to let a CHILD wear makeup. Why can children be allowed to be children instead of making them grow up so soon? There is time enough for them to be an adult when the time comes. My daughter and my neice played with PLAY makeup when they were children, but neither of them wore makeup at that age.

Meh. I voted for 11 but I won't assign an age to this.

If my 9 year old wanted to play with real makeup, I would let her.

She is very much a child and is not growing up too fast in any way, shape, or form.

I would add and eye roll to that but I'm on my phone.

She is very much a child and is not growing up too fast in any way, shape, or form.

"Meh" sounds like you don't really care about much of anything. And I still stand by what I said.

But there is a difference between "playing with make up" and actually wearing makeup to school or out and about. My DD has "played" with makeup before, too. But I didn't let her paint her face all up and then go out to dinner.

"Meh" sounds like you don't really care about much of anything. And I still stand by what I said.

Yeah. I certainly don't care about girls wearing makeup. It says nothing about their character or who they will be when they grow up.

But there is a difference between "playing with make up" and actually wearing makeup to school or out and about. My DD has "played" with makeup before, too. But I didn't let her paint her face all up and then go out to dinner.

I remember painting my face and then going out to eat with my parents when I was in elementary school. Again, it did not reflect poorly on my character or the person I would become.

I'm just getting back to this now, so maybe I'm past the usual time frame for a reply, but I wanted to know how my (and others') explanation of "why" we allow this wasn't clear enough to be understood.

I let my child wear makeup because we stand in the washroom together getting all prettied up for a Sunday service or an evening out. We get out our hair do-dads and our sparkly earrings, our pearl neclaces, and I pull out my makeup to add those special fancy touches to my face. I do my own, and for special added fanciness, I dab some in my lovely little girls. They feel all dressed up like mommy and we go out feeling like a million bucks.

The idea that I wouldn't do that because it make them "too adult" just never crossed my mind. To me makeup is no more an "adults only" thing than a curling iron is. A girl with little artificial curls looks like a girl dressed up for a special occasion. A girl with a dab or two of makeup looks the same to me -- extra pretty, but not "grown up".

I voted 13, but I am thinking very minimal makeup. Lip gloss (very light color) and mascara. Right now she is 7 and every chance she gets she put on her play blue or green eye shadow from a kit my brother gave her at Christmas. I hardly wear any makeup and most days I wear none at all. She just LOVES makeup, lol.

Because we don't associate make up with something to be avoided until some arbitrary later.

Because we don't see how wearing make up and being a child are mutually exclusive.

Because we don't feel the benefit or restricting it is worth the risl of restricting it.

Because we don't have a symbolic bread crumb trail from make up to sexuality to "early" sex.

Because we don't associate make up wearing with character.

Because we've decided that harmless cosmetic expression is worth allowing (or, for the more radical of us, investing in).

Because little girls like being like big girls and I can't think of a valid, inherent, real reason to disallow the wearing make up part of playing with being a girl.

....... that said, my dd would have to be able to apply and cleanse appropriately and consisently (the same arrangement I had with my kids and earrings ~ but I did make my youngest wait longer than his sister for earings because a boy getting earrings in Katy, Texas is different than a girl.

I personally associate make up with an investment in self care; and I don't want my dd to have to pay someone like me $125 and hour when she is in her 40's to learn she's worth investing in just because she exists.

Does that answer your question?

It depends on what we are considering makeup.

Is Burt's Bees tinted lip balm "real makeup", because in that case Sister started wearing it off and on at age 6.

What about lip gloss, does it count? She bought her first tube when she was 5.

Is the tinted moisturizer I wear daily "real makeup", because I have let her wear that on special occasions two or three times now.

Let us add this issue to the ever growing list of "things I do not give a tinkers' dam what others think about".

I make choices based on what is best for my kids, period.

Because we don't associate make up with something to be avoided until some arbitrary later.

Because we don't see how wearing make up and being a child are mutually exclusive.

Because we don't feel the benefit or restricting it is worth the risl of restricting it.

Because we don't have a symbolic bread crumb trail from make up to sexuality to "early" sex.

Because we don't associate make up wearing with character.

Because we've decided that harmless cosmetic expression is worth allowing (or, for the more radical of us, investing in).

Because little girls like being like big girls and I can't think of a valid, inherent, real reason to disallow the wearing make up part of playing with being a girl.

....... that said, my dd would have to be able to apply and cleanse appropriately and consisently (the same arrangement I had with my kids and earrings ~ but I did make my youngest wait longer than his sister for earings because a boy getting earrings in Katy, Texas is different than a girl.

I personally associate make up with an investment in self care; and I don't want my dd to have to pay someone like me $125 and hour when she is in her 40's to learn she's worth investing in just because she exists.

Does that answer your question?

Most children that age are not going to ask to wear it unless someone else suggests it. I know for a fact you and I would probably not agree on anything ever in life so I usually try to refrain from even addressing you. CHILDREN are still children and whether anyone on here likes it or not, wearing makeup is an ADULT thing to do, not a CHILD thing to do. Do you put make up on your two year old girls as well?

Most children that age are not going to ask to wear it unless someone else suggests it. I know for a fact you and I would probably not agree on anything ever in life so I usually try to refrain from even addressing you. CHILDREN are still children and whether anyone on here likes it or not, wearing makeup is an ADULT thing to do, not a CHILD thing to do. Do you put make up on your two year old girls as well?

Comparing a two year old to an eleven year old...I am baffled by that.

edited to change 10 to 11.

Most children that age are not going to ask to wear it unless someone else suggests it. [/Quote]

My children show interest when they see me using makeup. They think if is fancy. They reason that if it make Mommy look nicer than usual, it's probably a nice thing for them too. Perhaps it happens more often when children and adults share the same bathroom?

CHILDREN are still children and whether anyone on here likes it or not, wearing makeup is an ADULT thing to do, not a CHILD thing to do.[/Quote]

I don't understand this idea at all. If children wear makeup, as you have just been informed that they do indeed -- how can it still be logical in your mind to assert that they categorically do not? Lots of little girls wear pink lip gloss, sparkly stuff on their cheeks, a little bit if Mommy's mascara or other fun touches of makeup on special occasions. That indeed is a very common "CHILD thing to do" -- asserting that you do not like it is one thing. Asserting that it is "not done" is simply nonsense.

Do you put make up on your two year old girls as well?

Assuming that this is a general question, not just addressed to your adversary, I'll answer that, yes, both of my girls wore colored lip balm to Church on Sundays at age two. They loved it, and I used it as an encouragement for them to use their everyday lip balm to keep their lips nice enough for the privilege. There were other occasions when I applied more/other products -- such as Christmas concerts.

Who said I PUT make up on my children at all? What an absurd question.

Where is the rule book that makes fact make up is an ADULT thing and not a CHILD thing?

Ironically, I never put rules on it for my dd, and she only recently started wearing make up at 16.5.

I don't have a dating restriction, either, and she hasn't had a date yet; no interest. She feels "it's stupid" to date and her age and that her friends have "too much drama".

Amazing; I have a child with the perspective that many here want their children to agree to - and I didn't have to give her the opinion.

The italicized sentence above is very odd, and passive aggressive. You asked a question of a group of people who had a specific answer to the poll. I am of that cohort and answered. Why ask if you don't really want to engage with the content?

I said 13 but I don't feel it has to be all-or-nothing. My mother graduated me to full makeup in steps. 6th grade lip gloss. 7th blush and light brown eyeshadow were added. 8th grade meant foundation, mascara, and colored eye shadows. High school I got to go to town and receive my long awaited eye liner (it was the rage to heavily line your eyes at the time).

I said 13 but I don't feel it has to be all-or-nothing. My mother graduated me to full makeup in steps. 6th grade lip gloss and powder. 7th blush and light brown eyeshadow were added. 8th grade meant liquid foundation, mascara, and colored eye shadows. High school I got to go to town and receive my long awaited eye liner (it was the rage to heavily line your eyes at the time).

Edited to add (after reading the whole thread), that this was for everyday wear. I was allowed to wear make-up (though not eyeliner, which my parents both despised) for special occasions from my earliest memories. In fact thinking about it, many of my fondest memories of my mother are in the bathroom for this reason- my sisters and mother and I all getting dolled up. Makeup is a play thing, I wouldn't put too much importance on it.

I don't understand this idea at all. If children wear makeup, as you have just been informed that they do indeed -- how can it still be logical in your mind to assert that they categorically do not?

She didn't say make-up ISN'T EVER worn by children. She said it is an adult thing to do. I happen to agree with her, for the most part, although my dd started wearing make-up at 15. There are adult things, like sex, smoking, drinking alcohol, and watching NC-17 movies, that some kids do. That doesn't mean that these are kid activities.

Tara

She didn't say make-up ISN'T EVER worn by children. She said it is an adult thing to do. I happen to agree with her, for the most part, although my dd started wearing make-up at 15. There are adult things, like sex, smoking, drinking alcohol, and watching NC-17 movies, that some kids do. That doesn't mean that these are kid activities.

Tara

That list and make up are incongruent to me; I can't accept the comparison.

I don't wear make-up. I'm thinking about it, though. I'm just not a girly girl.

My daughter is very much a girly girl. She found some of my make-up (which I then used very rarely) when she was 6. She asked if she could have it. I said sure. We homeschooled. It wasn't like she was wearing it to first grade. So she played with make-up from a very young age. She never wore it out and about until she was 12. As a result, she learned how to apply it quite nicely and make it look like it's barely there. She learned what colors go nicely with her skin tone. And so when she was allowed to wear it outside the house at 12, she didn't feel the need to paint it on thick. It wasn't some forbidden thing she was suddenly allowed. It was normal.

She doesn't need make-up. She didn't even take it with us for our month in Ireland. She likes it, though. She wears glasses so her eyes really do show up better with a little make-up around them.

My oldest starting wearing make-up on stage for dance when she was 4.

She was never homeschooled and went to public school.

She started being allowed to wear a little make-up to school in Junior High, so 12 if I remember correctly. I think this consisted of lightly colored lip gloss, cover-up if needed, mascara. Eye liner, darker mascara, any other make-up didn't come until high school. I don't think she wore eye shadow or blush unless it was a special occasion like a dance (I'm not sure she wears blush even then).

She occasionally wore lip gloss and fun sparkly stuff before that, not usually to school but when going to a birthday party for friends, or having a sleep-over, or whatever.

She is on the Dean's List in college, didn't date until she was 16, did not dress provocatively, was responsible enough to maintain excellent grades while working to help pay for her dance her last two years in high school. So, I don't think allowing her to wear a little make-up at a "young" age shot her directly into adult behavior.

FWIW - I wear make-up very rarely.

Funny this poll comes up the day after I bought my girls make up and did a demo on their baby sister. :laugh:

Yup, they asked. I don't wear it except for occasions. But as with all things it's my opportunity to share what I want them to know before they just start doing it on their own someday.

So we made it an occasion. Oh the giggling! Their brother wanted to try the eye lash curler!

Fortunately their younger cousin gave me the perfect example of what not to do with the electric blue eye lids she sported at Christmas time. :huh: "If you're calling attention to your make up, be prepared to accept the teasing, advice, etc. that might come."

Meh. Make up is not a moral issue. What a ridiculous thing to suggest.

I almost never wore makeup until I was in my 30s. It always felt funky on my face and didn't react well to my skin. It had nothing at all to do with my moral state or my value of myself. I wear makeup very often now bc I finally can and enjoy doing it.

My girls as young as age 2 would ask to wear my makeup. I'd give then a blush brush and some balm and they'd sit on the counter and pretend to dress up their face on the rare occassion I put makeup on. I painted all three of my girls toe nails when they were newborn too. And I got their ears pierced when they were about 3 weeks old.

None of that has anything to do with their maturity, morality, sexuality, or spirituality.

And yes, it been great fun having them watch and learn about how to do it properly.

Oh. And I have never in my life owned a curling iron. It's not a moral issue. I'm just too lazy to curl my hair and don't want to trash their beautiful hair by damaging it. I don't think I've ever given any thought to little girls curling their hair. I did let my daughters get two small stripes in their hair. It was very cute and colorful. I like color. They like color. It was fun. Nothing more.

So far my oldest dd is 12 and we have never had a single moments argument over makeup. She prefers not to wear it. Fine by me. I do insist she learn proper techniques bc it's good odds that one day she will need to know them. But there isn't any arguing over makeup in this house.

My dd just turned 13 and has been allowed to wear some makeup for at least a year. At home I encourage her to play with makeup by buying her some lipsticks, eyeshadow, blush and mascara. I never really learned what looks good on me and how to apply it - I'm giving her that chance.

If she's leaving the house her makeup must be natural looking.

Sandra

As a homeschooler, 12 seems appropriate, and then only lipgloss & mascara for special occasions.

If we weren't homeschooling, I would probably let whatever age the majority of her friends were wearing makeup dictate things. I think most girls at my school were wearing hideous aqua blue eyeliner and black mascara by the end of 5th grade, so I don't find it hard to think that at the very least "most" of the popular girls at that age are probably wearing some form of makeup.

I am in bolt. and Martha's camp. My little girls watch me get dressed up and they want to as well. I hand them my blush brush and colored lip gloss, they have their own jewelry as well. Ironic or not I only wear make-up when we go out and then try to keep it light (concealer, blush, mascara and colored lip gloss for myself). I do consider mascara and full foundation to be in a different category but we will cross that bridge when we get there. I cannot imagine witholding even chapstick, I don't understand how that is make-up at all, everyone in my house wears plain chapstick in the winter.

I guess there is a lot of room for interpretation on "makeup." I have let my girls wear tinted lip gloss because, why not? But they don't get eyeshadow and really don't need mascara right now. I have dusted them with translucent powder on occasion too. It's pretty much invisible, but it makes them happy - win-win. My girls have been interested in makeup just from watching me do it - that's just normal for little girls, IMO. Anyway...

Comparing a two year old to an eleven year old...I am baffled by that.

edited to change 10 to 11.

She is the one who said she didn't consider makeup to be an adult thing. If it is just for girls of ALL ages and not just adults, then I see no difference in putting makeup on a 2 year old than a 10 year old. They are both CHILDREN and not adults, but she said makeup isn't just for adults. I disagree.

She is the one who said she didn't consider makeup to be an adult thing. If it is just for girls of ALL ages and not just adults, then I see no difference in putting makeup on a 2 year old than a 10 year old. They are both CHILDREN and not adults, but she said makeup isn't just for adults. I disagree.

Then 13, 15, and 17 year olds are all CHILDREN too, so why should they be allowed to wear makeup?