Menu

Girls and make up

DragonFaerie

Make up?  

221 members have voted

1. 1. At what age would you allow your daughter to start wearing make up?

• Younger than 11
    • Older than 13
    • Never

My daughter started wearing mascara when she turned 11. She is 12 now and she just asked for a pale pink lip gloss. Most of the time she doesn't even wear it. She just likes that she could if she wanted to. We have discussed her wearing other makeup as she gets older. Makeup is not very interesting to her, but that may be because she has grown up with me formulating and makeup makeup. There are appropriate ways for tweens to wear makeup and it look very natural. The other thing in our house is that with the use of makeup comes the requirement for a skin care routine.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She is the one who said she didn't consider makeup to be an adult thing. If it is just for girls of ALL ages and not just adults, then I see no difference in putting makeup on a 2 year old than a 10 year old. They are both CHILDREN and not adults, but she said makeup isn't just for adults. I disagree.

Your phrasing is interesting, and in a way, aggressive. I never posted about PUTTING make up on any child yet you've phrased posts about my perspective that way - twice!

And I *also* posted that my allowing a child to wear makeup would be contingent on their ability to self-care, use basic hygiene, and apply and remove the make up. But you seem to have missed that since it would exclude your "Joanne puts make up on 2 year olds" theory.

Frankly, I don't think make up is "just for girls of all ages." I don't assign age or gender to it at all.

I voted 13 and planned on letting my daughter start wearing some whenever she wanted to after that age. However, she's almost 16 and still doesn't want to. I think when she wants to we'll both go get our make- up done by a professional. I don't wear it much either. I look better with mascara, but most days I'm too lazy to put it on. :)

I voted 13, because that's when I was allowed to start wearing makeup. It's a little disingenuous, though, because I was first allowed to wear makeup for my Confirmation, when I was 13, but my oldest daughter was Confirmed last year, at age 7. :blink:

I think 13 is a good-ish age, though, because I don't think that younger faces A.) Need the benefit of makeup; and/or 2.) Need to look older, in the way makeup often makes a person look. I am willing to take it on a case-by-case basis, however. If one of our girls feels a need for foundation, or wants to experiment with some natural-looking makeup before 13, I'm open to it. Just not quite there yet!

I was allowed lip gloss, blush and mascara at 13. My girls (8 and 10) already do nail polish and clear tween lip gloss. I assume at 13 they can have tinted lip gloss and the other above stuff to feel a bit more grown up. They can get their ears pierced at 12 like I did. No particular reason for it. It just seems like it was ok for me at those ages....

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread. My 11yo 5th grader has been asking for makeup partly b/c she wants it and partly b/c the 6th graders in our school are wearing makeup. After reading this thread, I bought her clear mascara and various colors of Burt's Bees lip shimmer yesterday. The thoughtful posts here helped me form my thoughts on makeup, and moved me from "not until she's older" to "gradually as she's ready." She's ready, so here we go.

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread. My 11yo 5th grader has been asking for makeup partly b/c she wants it and partly b/c the 6th graders in our school are wearing makeup. After reading this thread, I bought her clear mascara and various colors of Burt's Bees lip shimmer yesterday. The thoughtful posts here helped me form my thoughts on makeup, and moved me from "not until she's older" to "gradually as she's ready." She's ready, so here we go.

This is what I think I'm going to do, too. I already let DD wear nail polish and various shades of Baby Lips. I think clear mascara (or maybe a very light "blonde" if they have such a thing) might be a good "next step."

My DD11 is telling me that I'm out of touch and ALL the 6th grade girls wear make up. I say not until she's 13. What says the Hive?

I highly doubt ALL or even most 6th graders are wearing makeup.

Having said that, my 9 yo went through a serious "self expression" phase about 6 months ago and she begged to wear make-up. So, I let her wear tinted lip gloss. She was interested in eye makeup for about a month or so, but seems to have gotten past that. I didn't let her wear it out places. She can play and experiment with real makeup at home only. The only stuff she can wear out is the lip gloss.

She's a fashionista. She doesn't use makeup as an emotional mask. She uses it to express herself. Still, we have to be careful, because I don't want her looking too old. You only get to be a kid once, you know.

I say 11 They can have clear lip gloss. But that's it.

12- Flesh colored eyeshadow

13- Curl their eyelashes, and wear mascara, flesh colored or slightly darker eyeshadow, and VERY LIGHTLY AND THINLY apply brown eyeliner....

My goal is just to make them not look like the girls that wear loads of make up and colors. I'm fine with having their natural beauty brought out. But not covered up.