Menu

My SIL said her son (my nephew) who's almost 9yo was "really into comic books". Are comic books good/bad/neutral/benign or what?

Alia_in_FL

I confess I've only thumbed through two or three comic books in my life, but the few people (adults) that I know who are into comic books are weird/dysfunctionals.

SIL said he especially likes Spiderman ones; and she mentioned our getting them for him for his upcoming birthday, but i just have a teeny red flag going off in the soul here and I can't put a finger on why, but I usually have good instincts. Aren't the females portrayed with the bowling ball DDDDD cup bras with the 14" inch waist and cleavage that is BUSTing out, etc? Aren't they all about power and domination and such?

I didn't say anything when she said this, but I didn't know comic books were wholesome or not.

Anyone more familiar with them than I am?

Are they good, bad, neutral or what?

My boys expressed interest in comic books and I was concerned at first. Like any other book out there, you have to monitor it. There are some comics that are really dark and aimed at adults. There are others for kids. Personally, I think the Spider-Man comics my boys have read are harmless, and she obviously feels its ok for her child to read them. My boys were struggling readers and I came across this article that I happened to bookmark.

http://momshomeroom.msn.com/parenting-articles/reading/getting-serious-about-comics/251535497?WT.mc_id=CopyThis

http://marvelkids.marvel.com/comics

http://comicbooks.about.com/od/buyingcomics/tp/toptenkids.01.htm

there are Peanut comics - you know Charlie Brown, Lucy etc.

There are Garfield comics

There are Scooby Doo comics

There are Archie comics

There are of course all the classic superhero comics.

I don't think you can make a sweeping statement about whether or not comics are good or bad. They do help some kids to begin enjoying reading.

I do think 40 year old males who are into comics and still living in their parents basement are probably dysfunctional, but it is probably not because of the comics.

That's like asking if books themselves are good/bad/neutral/benign. It depends on the content. That said, I don't see why it shouldn't be the parent's job to figure out what they want to expose their child to. If you personally don't want to get him a Spiderman comic then you can always get him something with a Spiderman logo on it or another kind of comic book like "Calvin and Hobbes".

I confess I've only thumbed through two or three comic books in my life, but the few people (adults) that I know who are into comic books are weird/dysfunctionals.

SIL said he especially likes Spiderman ones; and she mentioned our getting them for him for his upcoming birthday, but i just have a teeny red flag going off in the soul here and I can't put a finger on why, but I usually have good instincts. Aren't the females portrayed with the bowling ball DDDDD cup bras with the 14" inch waist and cleavage that is BUSTing out, etc? Aren't they all about power and domination and such?

I didn't say anything when she said this, but I didn't know comic books were wholesome or not.

I don't think you can paint comic books with such a broad stroke. Are some "wholesome"? certainly not! It's just like television and the movies and games, and well, anything in pop culture. Some things are more "G" rated and some more "R" rated. It is wrong and unfair to declare that comic books are all good or bad or neutral because they are so varied.

Most super hero comic books, like Spiderman, are about good guys defeating bad guys. As Superman says, it is about truth, justice and the American way. Does that sound like power and domination to you? Both male and female characters are drawn with exaggerated physiques, it is just a stylized thing that is part of the tradition.

And about those dysfunctional people you know who read comics? Give me a break!! That is like saying "I know a homeschool family and the kids are illiterate and awkward socially". Many normal and successful people read comics, collect comics and work in comics -- I happen to be married to one who does all three.

If you are concerned about buying your nephew a comic book, then don't. Or get a list of titles and related merchandise from your SIL. Or head to your neighborhood comic book store, don't freak out over the nerdy guy or tatooed girl behind the counter, and ask for some reprints of the old, silver or golden age issues of Spiderman or Superman or Justice League or the Avengers. The titles from the 40s and 50s should be nice and wholesome!

Calvin and Hobbes were HUGE steppingstone books for both my kids, and they both still fight over them.

I think it's hilarious that you assume people who read comics are weird and dysfunctional. My husband collects comics and has hundreds if not thousands. He is gainfully employed, has a master's degree, and hasn't lived at his parents for 25 years. There are high quality and appropriate comics and graphic novels, just like they are high and low quality books.

If your child is interested in spider man, check a few out and see what you think. There is nothing magical about a comic book. They are text combined with pictures.

My husband has even introduced me to some very interesting adult graphic novels ... There is a 8 volume graphic novel set about the life of Buddha (rated PG-13 IMO).

http://www.amazon.com/Buddha-Vol-Kapilavastu-Osamu-Tezuka/dp/193223456X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1365210118&sr=1-1&keywords=buddha+graphic+novel

Persepolis - true story of a woman growing up in Iran (2 volumes) (Also PG-13)

http://www.amazon.com/Persepolis-Story-Childhood-Marjane-Satrapi/dp/037571457X/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1365209989&sr=1-3&keywords=persephone

Story of a Jewish Survivor of Hitler's Europe (another PG-13)

http://www.amazon.com/Maus-Survivors-Father-Bleeds-History/dp/0394747232/ref=pd_sim_b_2

This is a hilarious graphic novel to introduce kids to some greek myths. Both my kids loved this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Greek-Myths-Wonder-Blunders/dp/0803733089/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1365209910&sr=1-5&keywords=greek+myths+graphic+novel

Anyway, there is high quality stuff out there. You just need to do your research, like you do for anything.

Not for anything, but why is this any of your business? If your SIL is fine with your nephew reading comic books, that's all that matters.

I'm not saying that you have to buy comic books for the kid if you don't think they're "wholesome" (whatever that means,) but I don't think you need to be quite so judgmental without having even taken the time to look at the comic books the kid enjoys.

Frankly, I can't help but question your motivation for starting this thread. You've made a point of calling adult comic book fans weird and dysfunctional. You've mentioned hot-button issues like how women are portrayed in the comic books, and even gone so far as to suggest that comic books are all about power and domination. And then you ask whether or not comic books are "wholesome." :glare:

I mean, seriously??? :confused:

Maybe you are asking an honest question here, but I really don't think any of us can define whether or not you would consider comic books to be good, bad, or neutral, because we don't know your definition of the words. Honestly, if you're using a word like "wholesome," I can pretty much guarantee that you won't approve of comic books like Spiderman.

Comic books are like any other book or magazine. If I don't want my kids reading the "bad" kind, I have to vet the comic books they borrow. There are harmless spiderman comic books in the library, Spiderman's girlfriend is less busty than Wonder Woman. My kids don't see the busty comic heros as sexual symbols anyway.

My dds went through a phase where they loved comic books. They actually learned a lot of new vocabulary and a new way of reading. At first, they weren't even sure how to read it. I think they benefitted from reading them -- and they were a lot of fun! There are definitely some inappropriate ones out there, but there are also a lot of good ones.

My husband grew up reading "The PIcture Bible," which is the whole Bible...in comics. Really, in the best way possible, this had a major impact on him. His work is telling stories, writing, making videos and I think this visualization was foundational for him.

Also, we have a friend who loves "Classics Illustrated," and has been gifting them to our children. These are comics created mid-20th century that relate important classic works. "The Aeneid," "Moby DIck," "Treasure Island," "The Illiad," "Gulliver's Travels," for example. Bill Jones writes a literary forward in all the new reprints of Classics Illustrated. (They are being printed in Canada by Jack Lake productions.)

My kids love Garfield.....a lot. And you know what? So did I when I was a kid. :)

I spent my teenage years immersed in the superhero comics of Marvel and DC. I loved the X-Men, Avengers, Captain America, Alpha Flight (a Canadian team), etc. I spent thousands of dollars and wanted to write and pencil comic books.

There are many fantastic comic books out there, even mainstream superhero comic books. Chris Claremont's many years on The Uncanny X-Men, Joss Whedon on The X-Men, John Byrne's Alpha Flight, Gail Simone's Birds of Prey, Peter Parker Loves Mary Jane, Claremont and Bill Sienkiewicz's run on New Mutants, Justice Society of America....I could go on and on and on. Oh gosh, The Incredible Hulk when Dale Keown was penciling. *sigh*

I'd have to dive into the boxes of comics I still have for more examples.

At their best comic books occupy the same space as Greek myths and Star Wars. Big characters and epic stories that thrill. There are some obnoxious, sexist, stinking piles of carp too but for the most part comics are good and occasionally they are masterful.

Don't worry. Spiderman is a hero and your son is in good hands with him.

ETA: I'm not too weird or dysfunctional. I managed to get married and raise several well-balanced children.

I am very familiar with them. Comic books and graphic novels are like any other book-- some innocent, some x rated, and a lot in between. The superhero comic books do portray some women in a stylized manner but they portray men in a stylized manner too.

You might want to suggest looking specifically for comics and graphic novels specifically for young children. People often assume if something is in a comic book it's "safe" but this is not necessarily the case.

And as has been pointed out there is a whole genre of christian comic books.

Personally I think comic book art is the unrecognized art form of the past few generations. Especially when you consider the speed with which this art is produced, some of it is on par with the "greats" of art history.

I suppose I must have a houseful of weird people because we're all fans of comics. Of course we all enjoy video games as well. And movies. Some of which are *gasp* unwholesome. :eek: :D Comics are just another form of entertainment written for audiences with various levels of maturity.

Calvin and Hobbes were HUGE steppingstone books for both my kids, and they both still fight over them.

I think it's hilarious that you assume people who read comics are weird and dysfunctional. My husband collects comics and has hundreds if not thousands. He is gainfully employed, has a master's degree, and hasn't lived at his parents for 25 years. There are high quality and appropriate comics and graphic novels, just like they are high and low quality books.

I had my oldest (18) at the Emergency Room recently (103 fever, bronchitis).

The ER Dr. came into the triage room, saw son's pile of comics and initiated a 15 minute conversation about that; it was clear he knew his stuff and wasn't "just" trying to build rapport.

My boys expressed interest in comic books and I was concerned at first. Like any other book out there, you have to monitor it. There are some comics that are really dark and aimed at adults. There are others for kids. Personally, I think the Spider-Man comics my boys have read are harmless, and she obviously feels its ok for her child to read them. My boys were struggling readers and I came across this article that I happened to bookmark.

http://momshomeroom.....mc_id=CopyThis

http://marvelkids.marvel.com/comics

http://comicbooks.ab...ptenkids.01.htm

That first one is a great article.

My boys love the historical comic series also. We haven't bought any yet, but they are always drawn to them at the library.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_1?rh=n%3A2917%2Ck%3Agraphic+history&keywords=graphic+history&ie=UTF8&qid=1365223445&rnid=2941120011

We did buy a LOT of TinTin, which they like.

They love Calvin & Hobbes and Garfield.

Adult comic book fans are not always whatever you described them as in the OP. Many successful men (and I suppose women, though the old school comics weren't aimed at them) in my generation are still into comics. It just becomes more of a "curated collection" type of hobby. And they may be required (by their hipster cohort) to move to Seattle, NY, Portland, or the Bay Area.

Like most printed materials, comics have a wide range of content. My boys have borrowed Archie and Jughead comics and Disney Ducktales comics from the library. Those are great for the younger set. I collected gory ones in high school as did my brother, as well as DC and Marvel comics that fall in between.

Now, my ds12 is into Manga. I'm very lucky to have a good friend how is well versed in Manga and Anime and can direct me to the ones with less gore and boobs. They are age appropriate for a kid his age * in our house*.

Good grief. Weird and dysfunctional? Whatever.

Indy loves comics. Anything that can get a dyslexic to read is fine in my book. He has the Indiana Jones Omibus graphic novels (of course), two Star Wars Omnibus graphic novels, tons of SW comic books and almost all of the Stargate SG-1 comics. I read all of the SG-1 comics. Yes, there was some killing, but nothing too bad.

For Father's Day, we sent James Bond all of the Firefly graphic novels (I read them before we shipped them!) and we have the two Richard Castle Derrick Storm graphic novels. I've read them too. I assure you I'm not weird (mostly) or dysfunctional. I have a college degree, have been married for 18 years, am raising 2 polite boys (even Han Solo has learned to say 'please' and 'thank you'), run a household, and can rock a pair of heels. I can even chase down a toddler in 4 inch Via Spiga boots. :D

My husband has six boxes of comics in the basement. I'll send them to you. It will be our little secret. ;)

I would be much more concerned about what my kid is watching on TV.

Dh just looked over my shoulder and said, "Comic books build character! Just look at ME!" He thinks he is really funny.

I had my oldest (18) at the Emergency Room recently (103 fever, bronchitis).

The ER Dr. came into the triage room, saw son's pile of comics and initiated a 15 minute conversation about that; it was clear he knew his stuff and wasn't "just" trying to build rapport.

Lol - these are the kind of comic geeks we know. The over educated, over paid kind. Like my husband!

We like Tin-Tin a lot here. It's been great. I am open to comic books --- approved by us but I HATE them. I just don't get into them. My son on the other hand can't put a new Tin-Tin comic book down and will re-read them lots.