Menu

Aldi's has come to Houston. Why would I want to go?

Joanne

I (or my dd ;)) currently buy mostly from WalMart for staples and Kroger for their late night clearance.

I do not like or buy canned veggies, although some canned fruit in natural, not sugared, juice is ok. Well, I also use canned tomato products.

The kids will need portable lunch items through May.

What will Aldi's offer me in terms of savings, if anything?

http://aldi.us/index_ENU_HTML.htm

I buy most of my food there. Their own brands (cereals, etc.) are good. They have good frozen food - fish, etc. I think I save about 25% over the local supermarkets. Veggies are variable. I don't buy much meat, but the free range chicken breast is okay. Biscuits (cookies) and chocolate are good.

Laura

Like wendy, I find their produce good value for money. I buy their milk, eggs peanut butter, corn chips, pork, guacamole, tortilla to be quite better than the competitor. I hate clipping coupon so I feel like I am getting a good deal without always looking for coupon. My favorite thing about Aldi is that I can be in and out of there in 20 mins and get everything I want.

I just started shopping there. I like their nuts and dried fruit, baking supplies, dairy, bread, and ground beef. DH doesn't like their cheese as well, but I can't tell a difference, especially when it's shredded in a recipe.

Not a fan of the salami I bought last night, and their hummus is so-so. Their produce usually looks sad and wilted.

I agree with what others have said so far. I too am not crazy about their meat, but I like everything else I've tried. As far as prices, you'll just have to see if you can find time to do some comparisons. I find Aldi is usually cheaper than Walmart, but in some cases the cost is about the same. It's definitely cheaper than our regular grocery stores (Winn Dixie and Publix).

We recently got an Aldi's. I find their eggs and milk to be a much cheaper than other store prices ($1.20 per gallon less than my Walmart). Cheese is slightly cheaper, but I wouldn't make a special trip for it. I also buy potatoes, onions, and coffee there regularly now. I'll usually pick up chips. The only miss for us has been their peanut butter. I do love their version of nutella though. I don't buy either fresh or frozen meats there. They don't look appealing and the prices aren't much better than other places locally.

We buy almost all of our produce there now but that wouldn't have been the story a year ago at our Aldi's so I think the freshness of the produce depends a lot upon location. In our area, they have one really big produce sale a week which is nice. I've been able to buy blueberries really cheap to freeze and stock up on fresh mushrooms (I sautee and freeze these also for later use). Tomatoes often also go on sale. I can get Romain Hearts and fresh spinach much, much cheaper than other places!

Cheese, milk, cereal, coffee, sugar, flour, salt, baking soda, chocolate chips. I don't buy a lot of individually-packed snack foods like I would if my kids were packing lunches but I know from picking up snacks for ball teams that their prices are better than other places.

I, too, stay away from the meat. We haven't enjoyed their lunch meats or any meat we've purchased but sometimes I think it's just a mental block with us. I do buy their peanut butter to use in recipes but we stick with Jif for sandwiches.

Aldi's is a very good place for boxed and canned foods. Often things cost less than the Walmart equivalent. Ours have less fresh produce than do "regular" grocery stores, and it always looks morbidly unhappy. On the other hand, Walmart produce, also, looks miserable.

I found Aldi to be a little cheaper than Walmart. If it were really important to me to get the absolute lowest price possible, I would make the effort to go to Aldis. I didn't particularly like the store in general, though, and it is inconvenient for me. The SuperWalmart is very hard to beat for bottom-dollar and good item availability.

Aldis vary in quality, but in our town, Aldi has the best freshest produce (not the largest selection, but what they have is fresh due to the high turnover) and by far the lowest prices of any grocery store. They also have nice quality cheeses, much cheaper that elsewhere, and imported items from Germany and other European countries.

I buy everything at Aldis, except their meat (enhanced with solution) and eggs (I want organic), and brown rice and whole wheat flour (not available).

I haven't bought anything at Aldi's that I don't like. I do wish they had options without sugar added (peanut butter, applesauce, etc). But I get pretty much everything I need at aldi every week. It's the only way I can stay in our grocery budget. We eat very simply, though I'd love to buy organic, etc. we just don't have the money. Their diapers are great too. I also like how small it is- so much easier when pregnant, have a baby, a potty training kid, or lots of little ones to follow behind me. :)

In our area, Aldi's produce is awesome. There are people who shop there just for produce.

Their milk suppliers pledge not to use hormones.

The meat is very good in our local store.

I don't like some of their canned goods and ice cream. Pretty much everything else has been fine.

They have or had some low sugar jam (strawberry, blackberry, and raspberry) in small jars for about $1.80 that I bought. I was happy with it. I also got their maple syrup (like $3 or $4) and cream of wheat, which appears to be seasonal. Their chocolate products I think are ok, including chips. I've bought baking ingredients there like sugars, too. They have a *lot* of crackers, cookies, and snack/lunchbox items (pudding, fruit cups, etc); i have tried a few but not many of these. Their cereal seems ok, but errs in the side of highly sugared. They also periodically sell interesting kitchenware. I bought their enameled cast iron dutch oven (big pot) in the fall as well as some plasticware, which was of average quality. A few years ago, I felt seriously overwhelmed by GIANT stores and went there. It was very soothingly small.

I also have bought their canned pumpkin and canned pineapple in juice. I don't think I've bought any other canned goods and rarely get fresh produce from them. I bought some frozen ice cream bars with a Spanish name last summer that were great. A tiny size, perfect for my kids, and great flavors, I think coconut, strawberry, and mango. Their vanilla ice cream seemed okay. Their cream cheese and cheese seem fine. I have never bought meat or fish there.

I'm a recent convert to Aldi's. I went the week of our store's grand opening and walked out with nothing, saying I wouldn't go back. Many months later I decided to try again and am so glad I did. Most of my bulk shopping was from Walmart; now it's Aldi's. I buy: nuts, dried fruit, almond milk, 70% dark chocolate, spring lettuce, potatoes, frozen green beans, vanilla coffee, Rice Squares and Honey Crunch Oats cereal, oatmeal, baby carrots, asparagus, celery, onions, sour cream...oh and frozen berries, sweeter and cheaper than anywhere else. We like their 4-pack frozen steak filets. I don't know much about their other meats. Did NOT like: block cheese, yogurt, baking mixes....there are still many items I've never tried.

We buy almost all of our produce there now but that wouldn't have been the story a year ago at our Aldi's so I think the freshness of the produce depends a lot upon location.

When our Aldi first opened up the quality of the produce was awful. I don't know what changed, but it's great now. I get almost all of my produce there.

I love Aldi's and miss not living near one. Their staples are very reasonably priced, but I will say the two last areas we have lived in are rural so our choices in general are limited. Last time I was near one on vacation, we loaded the car. I would even consider making a special trip once in a while for what I would save.

We have three Aldi stores. They don't fit as my only grocery store, but it is in the same parking lot as my SuperWalmart.

What I love there is the weekly specials on veggies, especially during the winter months. ( I prefer organic, but can't afford it here in the cold seasons.)

This week

Navel oranges $1.49 for a big bag

Strawberries $0.99

Roma tomatoes were on sale last week for $1.49 in a plastic container like the strawberries

Regular priced

Extra V. Olive oil is under $4. a bottle

Dh loves their Greek yogurt; it's .58 cents

100 sandwich baggies $1.99

Their Artisan breads are yummy and much less than any where else

I love their Christmas goodies from Germany as well as their chocolate year round. An Easter bunny about 7" with a bunch of eggs was $2.49.

I don't use a lot of canned goods, but I do get their diced tomato, sauce and paste if I need it.

I walked through our Aldi a few weeks ago (after reading a thread here about it). I had a notebook with me. I wrote down the price and size of every single item I usually buy at Walmart. Every single item. It took an hour and a half or so.

Later, I went to Walmart and compared prices.

Aldi beat every single Walmart price, except for milk. Every single price. And not by .02 or .03 cents. They beat the prices for each item by .15, .30, .60 cents.

The savings is significant. I am in the luxurious postition of not having to pinch pennies at the grocery store, so let me tell you, I wouldn't be bothering to shop at both Aldi and Walmart if there wan't darn good reason to do so.

I still go to WM because Aldi doesn't carry everything that I need. Aldi doesn't promise to carry everything. Note: Aldi is so small and checkout is so lightning fast that it barely takes longer to go to both stores compared to when I went to just WM.

It's only been a couple of weeks and my family is still getting used to the flavor of the Aldi brand stuff, but for the tens of dollars I save there each week, we can learn to change our tastes.

Aldi beat every single Walmart price, except for milk. Every single price. And not by .02 or .03 cents. They beat the prices for each item by .15, .30, .60 cents.

I've done something similar, but I don't shop at Walmart. How much is milk in your area? I paid 1.99 for a gallon at Aldi, and Kroger usually has it between 2.59-2.79.

natural peanut butter

Really? They don't have sugarless or otherwise "natural" PB at my store, that I've ever seen.

I remembered another nice item I got there: their trash bags (the white, medium sized ones for an inside can). These were good! My husband requested I not buy their toilet paper. It seemed okay, on the cheap side, but okay, to me. Their shampoo is fine and cheap, and I got my husband some manly scented body wash/shampoo combo that he says is fine.

I bought a horrible lipstick, but it only cost 99c, so I am not complaining. The color was YUCK!

Really? They don't have sugarless or otherwise "natural" PB at my store, that I've ever seen.

Mine just started carrying it. Next to the regular PB with an off-whitish label (think Jif Natural). It's probably not no sugar added, just without hydrogenated oils. I haven't looked closely, we're still working on the Skippy Natural I bought at Costco a while back.

They also have no sugar added applesauce full-time now, too. Applesauce is my "eat this while the other stuff cools" food, so I'm happy I don't have to go to another store for it now.

I did the same thing as Garga; went to Aldi's, bought a variety of items, then compared at Wal-Mart. I saved 15%, easily.

We are VERY blessed - there's an Aldi's less than a mile from Wal-Mart. I hit Aldi first, purchase my major items, then finish at Wal-Mart.

With all our employment woes, if it weren't for Aldi, I don't know what I'd do.

Things we like:

milk

eggs

oats

natural peanut butter

honey

their brand of nutella

pretzels

hummus

string cheese

all kinds of shredded cheese

Produce, Produce and MORE produce

their whole wheat bread is DELICIOUS and only 1.19 a loaf here in AL (comp to 1.59 at WM)

I've returned things that weren't of a good enough quality, no hesitations and no questions at all.

Bring your quarter!

I have been happy with almost everything at Aldi so far, especially their prices! It really is much cheaper than SuperWalmart in our area. The neighborhood market near me is HORRIBLE! Last time I went to Aldi, I got 5 of their big bags full of pantry staples, produce, and some halfway healthier packaged snacks, I spent 130 bucks. It was a cart full of food

The only thing I haven't like from Aldi is their meat, too much added solution, and it is the one thing that seems to not be a good deal.

Oh and the Angel soft toilet paper, it was name brand, but the 3 of us went through a big package in about 2 weeks, that is not normal!!

I also really love their Hummus, and their fresh alsa, comparable to fancy stuff from whole foods, but really well priced.

I'm in the Houston area too. Our Aldi is being built (almost complete) right across a small street from Walmart. It's across a bigger street from a Super Target and an HEB (grocery store chain in Texas), and down the street from Kroger. I think we are covered on purchasing food here :) but I do wish that Trader Joes would make an appearance. The closest one is 45 minutes away :(

Last time I went to Aldi, I got 5 of their big bags full of pantry staples, produce, and some halfway healthier packaged snacks, I spent 130 bucks. It was a cart full of food

I should be used to it by now, but I'm always pleasantly surprised at my total when I shop at Aldi.

The bread at my Aldi must be difference from most of yours. It's mainly white, no artisan bread, and even the white bread isn't that fresh.

Joanne, I hope what you're taking from our posts is that it's worth checking out.

I'd say you ought to go once and check it out.

Be sure to take a quarter to rent a grocery cart (or buggy). They only take cash or debit cards -- no checks or credit. Oh, and you'll want to bring your own bags, or pick up empty boxes as you go through the store. Or you can purchase bags at the checkout.

Probably about 75% of everything in my pantry and refrigerator was bought at Aldi. I don't buy much meat there, although they had a great deal on Corned Beef a couple of weeks ago, so I stocked up. Their fresh produce prices are usually the best around. They do have special buys which vary from week to week, including some national brands.

Mine just started carrying it. Next to the regular PB with an off-whitish label (think Jif Natural). It's probably not no sugar added, just without hydrogenated oils. I haven't looked closely, we're still working on the Skippy Natural I bought at Costco a while back.

They also have no sugar added applesauce full-time now, too. Applesauce is my "eat this while the other stuff cools" food, so I'm happy I don't have to go to another store for it now.

Thanks for the tip. I may be due for my once-every-few-months trip to Aldi's, and I will look for both!

I do find that I am exhausted after leaving, though. I used to find the store nice and small. Now I feel like I am on Supermarket Sweep!

Thanks for the tip. I may be due for my once-every-few-months trip to Aldi's, and I will look for both!

I do find that I am exhausted after leaving, though. I used to find the store nice and small. Now I feel like I am on Supermarket Sweep!

I always feel as if I am on a conveyor belt because our store is set up like a one-way, zig-zag path through aisles too tall to see over the top.

The thing I hate is the first aisle which is all junk food. If you get past that, you will probably like what you see.

Interesting. The first aisle at all of our local stores does have chips and crackers and candy, but also nuts, hot cereals, baking supplies, dried fruit, spices, etc.

I've had very good experiences with almost everything from Aldi. The one exception was a can of black olives I bought on a whim a few weeks ago. It smelled funky when I opened it, and the contents were kind of slimy. I tossed those.

Otherwise, I love Aldi. I regularly buy:

- Nuts (both for snacking and for baking/cooking)

- Old fashioned oatmeal

- Raisins

- Maple syrup

- Dried spices

- Baking soda, salt, stuff like that

- Saltines

- Fresh produce, especially potatoes, tomatoes, bananas, bell peppers

- Frozen strawberries

- Rice

- Dry beans

- Tomato paste

I don't buy meat and so can't speak to that. I buy very little in the way of dairy, and my husband has a favorite brand of cheddar. So, I don't buy their cheeses, either. But, for me, it's almost worth the drive to Aldi's just to get produce each week.

I checked the website and one of the new stores is near me. I knew I'd seen one somewhere while I was driving around, but DH told me I was nuts b/c they weren't in Houston. LOL

I'll have to visit when I have time to make a list for comparison shopping since I get my kids' employee discount at Kroger. Plus we try to eat as raw and organic as we can, so I don't know how much cost savings I'll manage. I'd sure love to find an inexpensive source of nuts and oats though for granola!

I had to go to Aldi today, and since I remembered this post I checked the natural peanut butter. It doesn't have sugar in it.

Unusual things I have picked up at Aldi recently: perennials for the garden at £1 for three; peat-free potting compost; window-sill seed propagators; blood fish and bone garden fertiliser; chicken manure garden fertiliser; two bird nesting boxes and smoked garlic bulbs (for cooking).

Laura

I had to go to Aldi today, and since I remembered this post I checked the natural peanut butter. It doesn't have sugar in it.

Awesome, thanks! I'll start getting it there. DH is always taking off with my jars to make "ants on a log" at work (what is he, 10?), so smaller, cheaper jars are a bonus.

Aldi doesn't do a heck of a lot for me. I feel they must be different regionally. Maybe yours will be great. Ours is just meh and I don't shop there.

I love Kroger. If I shop their sales and clearance "Manager's Special" tags, I can get a week's worth of food, for our family of 4, for well under $100. Often I can organic items at 75% off. They put those on this little out of the way shelf that no one checks ;).

I love Kroger. If I shop their sales and clearance "Manager's Special" tags, I can get a week's worth of food, for our family of 4, for well under $100. Often I can organic items at 75% off. They put those on this little out of the way shelf that no one checks ;).

This is my "other store" :) I stock up on manager's special bakery goods, meats, and veggies whenever I can. They don't usually have enough on specials to feed my whole family though - but it's good for stocking up the freezer and pantry when I get there at the right time.

I can buy food for 4 for a week, minus a few items we only get at other stores, for under $100. That includes breakfast, dinner, planned leftovers for some lunches, fresh fruit and Veggie for snacks and some fruit snacks, brownie mix, or other things for deserts.

We buy chicken nuggets, enchilada sauce, and lunchmeat (occasionally) at Walmart. If we want something different like fish or a certain cut of steak, we go to crest. Also always has enough meat variety for a week, but not much variety from one week to the next. Whole chickens are cheap, those do 2-3 meals for us. But, we wanted some variety this week so I shopped elsewhere for meat and Also for cheap fruit and veggies.

In our store it's next to the regular peanut butter. It has a brown lid. I think the regular peanut butter has a red lid?

Uh oh. A brown lid, you say?

I am so embarassed to inform you that I have a nearly empty container of it in my cupboard! I didn't think of it as natural because it has that smooth texture and sweet flavor! Sorry for being such a dolt. Really.

Uh oh. A brown lid, you say?

I am so embarassed to inform you that I have a nearly empty container of it in my cupboard! I didn't think of it as natural because it has that smooth texture and sweet flavor! Sorry for being such a dolt. Really.

Ha! Good to know they carry it at least. If I remember correctly (I'm not looking at a jar right now) but I think I remember it being sweetened with molasses? So it's not 'one ingredient peanut butter', but it's better than the alternative.