Menu

Vent about our HS convention

Moxie

This is a vent not a JAWM. I'm sure plenty will disagree.

I'm a Republican, I have only had one husband and we have oodles of kids. There are guns in our home, I think we're over-taxed and I voted for the other guy. I have several Bibles, I read them regularly and I go to Mass at least once a week.

Yet, I'm not conservative enough to find anything worth seeing at our local HS convention :glare: .

I'd love a convention focused on how to teach kids. Crazy, right?

I feel like this thing should be called a "lifestyle convention" since that seems to be the focus.

That's it. Now maybe I won't bore DH with my venting when he comes home.

I think most of the people on this forum would consider me to be pretty liberal, but I absolutely agree with you about this irritating trend. If it's supposed to be a homeschooling conference, here's a novel idea -- let's make it about homeschooling. :glare:

I am sick and tired of speakers who are there to preach about how God wants me to raise my child, the ones with an obvious political agenda, and the people who want to help me be a better mom.

Just talk about education and educational materials, and try to appeal to everyone from new homeschoolers of young kids, all the way up to those of us who are thinking ahead to college.

Guest inoubliable

Complete opposite here. And yet, I feel you. I hesitate to spend money to go to any convention based on what I hear others' experiences are - that it's a push of lifestyle (and not one that would jive with my personal beliefs) instead of about education. The other side of the spectrum shares your pain.

I'm sorry that your local convention doesn't have topics and speakers that appeal to you. Is there another convention you can travel to that will appeal to you?

I will be traveling this sprig because my local conference doesn't appeal to me. I want a lifestyle convention because to me teaching and biblically mentoring my children is both education and lifestyle. Bible based lectures and curriculum are what I want and need this year. Nope - it's not for everyone - but a secular, academics-only conference wouldn't appeal to everyone either.

We're so spoiled by choice now in the homeschool world. I think about the pioneers who fought for this option 20 years ago and most retailers wouldn't even sell them books. I feel your pain but I'm grateful we have options - even if it means traveling.

I refuse to attend my state's hsing conference. It wasn't about education last time and I won't waste my time again. If I am going to take a day off of my responsibilitites it will not be spent being indoctrinated by people trying to jostle for my money.

I will read a book, spend it with my husband, make a nice meal (or go out) and horse around with my kids. You can take that to the bank!

Guest inoubliable

Hmmm. I was going to attend our state conf this spring in the hopes of meeting some fellow crunchy granola friends. Maybe I should stick to the farmers markets for meeting like minded people with young kids.

Haha. That's sort of where I'm left in regards to my state's convention.

Another agreement. I haven't been to a hs convention in many years. I spend my $$ on mp3 lectures by people like Susan Wise Bauer and shop online as well.

I get my spiritual guidance from my bible and my church.

I prefer mp3s over conferences too. I want to hear academic based lectures, not lifestyle based sermons.

I toyed with the idea of going to very small conference that was held two blocks away from my house. It was an all day event, but there was an one hour time slot that would have been something relevant to our schooling. Thankfully we were very broke during that time period, so the decision to save the 25.00 was very easy. I can see 3 churches from my front porch, I didn't need to pay to attend a day long sermon.

I'm so grateful that my state has a smaller inclusive convention which stays entirely out of politics and religion, and does conventions that are ONLY about teaching your kids! i've gone 4 years in a row, but i'm not sure i'm up for doing it on crutches this year - healing very slowly from knee surgery. fwiw, i'm totally secular, but i've hung out at my conference with women who used the word blessed or lord in every sentence, and women wearing burkas, athiests, jews, and everything you can imagine. i love that!!

I'm sorry that your local convention doesn't have topics and speakers that appeal to you. Is there another convention you can travel to that will appeal to you?

I will be traveling this sprig because my local conference doesn't appeal to me. I want a lifestyle convention because to me teaching and biblically mentoring my children is both education and lifestyle. Bible based lectures and curriculum are what I want and need this year. Nope - it's not for everyone - but a secular, academics-only conference wouldn't appeal to everyone either.

We're so spoiled by choice now in the homeschool world. I think about the pioneers who fought for this option 20 years ago and most retailers wouldn't even sell them books. I feel your pain but I'm grateful we have options - even if it means traveling.

Can you name one that would be secular, or at least not feel like a tea party convention rather than a homeschooling convention? Cause I'd love to go to one, but haven't heard of one. (I'm in Florida, and the FPEA is VERY right wing conservative christian. )

Over the years, I've worked on conferences for a mom-support type organization, plus I've been to a few conventions of various kinds, and even done a little speaking.

Here's the thing - if a conference is organized by a local support group, they will typically ask local moms who have a lot of experience in a particular subject to share what they know in a workshop. They may recruit local hsing dads who have a particular area of expertise (often related to their job). And they may use their friend networks to find a few local people in a related field (midwife, librarian, co-op teacher, etc.) who can speak. They may have a few headliners they bring in - these are typically folks who have written a book or two. But the bulk of the workshops are given by local hsing moms and dads. HOWEVER - it's a heck of a lot of work to put on one of these things, and there seem to be fewer moms willing to take on this kind of work (as many are doing work for pay with their "spare" time).

The conventions now are typically done for a profit. It's no longer a network of folks saying, "What can we learn from each other?". It's a business. For the organizers *and* for the speakers/vendors. The budget may not run to paying speakers, so getting vendors to speak gives you free speakers *and* helps you bring in vendors.

That said - It's not *that* much work to arrange a small conference, using local talent for your workshops. It's even easier to organize something with one or two speakers. If the commercial events aren't meeting your needs, think about who you could ask to give a little workshop. Hold it at someone's home; ask your hsing friends to come. If it goes well, ask folks what they'd like to hear about, or speak about, and plan another. We can really learn a lot from each other!!!

Look, I am right there with you. I am conservative, Christian, gun owning, tea-party, etc, etc. What I am not is let's not educate our daughters pr just educate them enough to homeschool. WHat I am not is ready to here insults about how I am not a Christian because I believe in in older earth than someone else. WHat I am not is someone who wants to rant about how only "Christians" or certain "Christians" should be homeschooling. What I don't want is rants about how I am leading my kids straight to hell because Dad doesn't lead morning devotions (he is gone before they wake up).. Etc etc etc. Oh and all those things I have encountered in some homeschooling circles.

This is a vent not a JAWM. I'm sure plenty will disagree.

I'm a Republican, I have only had one husband and we have oodles of kids. There are guns in our home, I think we're over-taxed and I voted for the other guy. I have several Bibles, I read them regularly and I go to Mass at least once a week.

Yet, I'm not conservative enough to find anything worth seeing at our local HS convention :glare: .

I'd love a convention focused on how to teach kids. Crazy, right?

I feel like this thing should be called a "lifestyle convention" since that seems to be the focus.

That's it. Now maybe I won't bore DH with my venting when he comes home.

Yes, I remember similar themes the year or two I went, maybe 10 years ago.

From what people tell me of homeschooling conventions, I am sorta afraid I will be stoned in the parking lot or have my kids kidnapped to save them. I'm a pretty fearless sort of a person, but these people sound like hard core wack-a-doodles. So I stay the heck away.

I went to the GHC the year of The Great Kerfuffle. The irony? I wasn't even aware of the kerfuffling around me because Expedia had screwed up my hotel reservation. I was never officially "checked in" so I could not pay for Internet! And of course I didn't attend any of the sessions where the kerfuffles were blowing up. I saw all of SWB's talks, I went to learn about note booking (well, those people later supported the kerfufflers, but that was not in evidence at the time), I went to the AHG session (they support the kerfufflers, I am sure) and Analytical Grammar's session. Then I did lots of shopping and chatting with hivers who recognized me, lol. It was fine. I did not get stoned.

I didn't even get stoned at the other convention I have attended with Steve Demme and Andrew P and all of those types. Although, I did sit through calling people of my political persuasion stupid and such at that one.

Yes, I would rather get ideas on teaching math than listen to your inflammatory political rhetoric. Imagine that.

I am exactly like you, except I have (bad) eh #1, and (wonderful) dh #2!

I went to the closest convention here last June because it was my first real time homeschooling. The last couple of years, I just got the same books that dd's private school was using as a way to keep her up and get her back to school. This time, knowing she wasn't going back, I felt like I was starting from scratch. I really wanted to see and hold and look through the curriculum and materials instead of just going off the websites and guessing what things were like. I didn't go to any lectures. Our convention was at the beach, so dd and I went on a harbor cruise and had lunch and made it fun!

I am not going this year. I think with finding this forum and being a bit more experienced, I am able to handle it on my own. The conference was really good for me as a newbie!

From what people tell me of homeschooling conventions, I am sorta afraid I will be stoned in the parking lot or have my kids kidnapped to save them. I'm a pretty fearless sort of a person, but these people sound like hard core wack-a-doodles. So I stay the heck away.

It's really late here, and I am admittedly tired, but when I read this my first thought was, "Wait, what? Some homeschool moms get stoned in the parking lot before these things?" LOL

We're going to our first convention in May. FPEA is hosting it. I don't really care about the speakers (most I've never even heard of). I just want to look at some other curricula options for my boys. We've never been able to afford to attend it in the past, so I'm pretty excited about it. :)

I have looked at our local convention every year. One time they had a speaker for teaching learning disabilities. I didn't go but from talking with friends who did go there was nothing of use. It was all "celebrate your childs difference" celebrating won't teach him to read...

The rest was lifestyle related.

Yup, haven't been in years. Part of the reason is that we don't fit what some say is a homeschooling family. I'm employed in a professional capacity, DH is minimally involved, and I plan to send mine to college regardless of their gender. Nope. We don't fit.

And I can't justify spending the time and money for something I don't agree with.

Guest inoubliable

Really? Ok, no one thing appeals to EVERYONE, but unless someone is an unschooler or a non schooler, why wouldn't an academics-only conference appeal to most homeschoolers?

I want to "like" this post, but I've hit my cap for the first time ever. :(

That was my thought, too, btw. Why WOULDN'T most homeschoolers want a conference that is sharing solely academic and instructional information??

There are ZERO conventions around here - there are three within driving distance of me - that are not heavily into worldview. What insults me the most about these types of conventions is the assumption that my own church and Pastors are not qualified to teach me how to spiritually mentor my kids - I need the advice of these 'experts'. I detest the prevailing view at one of them that if I don't use curriculum 'x, y or z' or believe in a certain type of creation then I am not a Christian.

That's between me and God. I was a late Christian raised by a single, rabidly feminist, atheist mother. I fully believe that children will turn out the way they turn out and following all of these 'views' is not going to ensure my kids are perfect and wonderful people. I realize I'm over simplifying that message but it's the one I get loud and clear from every homeschool convention I could get to.

I have three very special - very different learners. I need advice on how to tweak curriculum for them. I need to know how to choose curriculum that is the best fit for them so they can learn as much as possible. (And so I can stop being a curriculum junkie as I try this and that to get a good fit.) I don't need to instill a 'world view' in them. They have that. My oldest is a much stronger Christian that I am.

Sorry to pile my vent on your vent, OP, but I so feel your pain. I'm not spending a ton of money on something that is not going to help me they way I need. I'll wind up frustrated and mad that I wasted the money. We just don't have the spare to waste.

Really? Ok, no one thing appeals to EVERYONE, but unless someone is an unschooler or a non schooler, why wouldn't an academics-only conference appeal to most homeschoolers?

Because some people want to be told it's okay for their kids not to go to college. Some people want to hear that their girls don't need high school math because they are made to be stay at home moms. Some people want to hear that The Bible is the only science book that they need. Some circles are rabidly anti-academia.

Maybe the reason why these sorts of conferences are so prevalent, and I'm just guessing here, is because they are built on an already existing organization. So it's just an extension of their organization? I would love to see people get together to make the kind of conference I think a lot of people would like to have, but trying to organize a bunch of people who aren't already organized seems rather daunting.

I agree that this is a major factor.

I was up hours last night thinking about this situation. The conclusion I've come to is that, IMO, many (most in my area??) people are homeschooling for 'worldview' reasons, not education. How many times have I heard someone express the idea that "as long as they get to Heaven, I've done my job"?? Education is second. So, no, an academics based conference probably wouldn't be very successful.

Please don't misunderstand--I'm a strong Catholic and raising my children in the faith is the most important thing to me as well. But I won't consider my homeschool a success unless my children do well on the ACT, go to college, have careers, etc.

I'm feeling very alone this morning. My oldest is going to be in 7th grade next year and I feel like we need to step up our game. The idea of doing that with very little community support is overwhelming.

Hmmm. I was going to attend our state conf this spring in the hopes of meeting some fellow crunchy granola friends. Maybe I should stick to the farmers markets for meeting like minded people with young kids.

Probably not going to happen. I am very conservative, and I also get irritated by the overwhelming lifestyle aspects of conventions now. Skipping this year.

I refuse to attend a convention that banned SL for not being Christian enough, and that seems to be my only option out here in CO. I was able to attend a small Catholic conference last year, and it was focused on education *gasp*. But the big one? Unless there is a major overhaul, you could not pay me to attend.

And I'm also a Christian conservative gunowner with one husband and a handful of kids.

I went to a convention in Houston last summer (one of the last I think SWB was speaking at). Afterwards, they asked me what I wanted to hear and what would bring me back the following. I told them more academics...less lifestyle. I gave examples of the types of academics. I think Ken Ham was named the next main speaker. Yeah, they sure didn't listen to me. ;(

They then sent a follow up email where I told them in no uncertain terms I would not be attending. Little good it did. Oh, then I ran into the adult homeschooling dd of one of the boards members and told her why I wasn't coming back. She was shocked at how they were inviting (she was a classical homeschooler) but still nothing.

Oh, well. It will be interesting to see what time does....

Guest inoubliable

you dont just all want to come to virginia? they even have a session about unschooling the last few years!

I'm considering going still. I hear some good things and some bad things about the one here. I've never been, so I have no idea what to expect. I suspect that I could be persuaded to go if *someone* here weren't on crutches and was definitely going to be there. (Hint, hint...)

I've said it before, but I like to repeat myself. ;)

I've seen a "feedback loop" where certain conventions and speakers and Internet personalities push things to one particular conservative flavor. Families start inching more and more toward their direction to fit in, and then those conventions and speakers and Internet personalities are left inching further over to make sure they're still relevant to the crowd. I think there are also a lot of families who suck it up and attend even though their views really don't align with the majority of what the conventions offer because it's the best option available to them.

I regret not walking out of one session last year after a comment in his lecture by a speaker who is quite popular here. A different speaker I saw was throwing in "pray about it" in an almost pandering manner. It was as if the assumption was that all these people are here so they must want to hear that kind of advice. It was so over the top that it was laughable. Believe me, if I'm having these issues with my kid, I've been calling out to Jesus all over the place. I've got that covered. I wanted more.

Moxie, this is why I never have attended a homeschool conference or convention. (We started homeschooling in 1995.) I attend the vendor exhibits, ONLY.

JudoMom: Sonlight not sufficiently Christian? :smilielol5:

If ever there were a Catholic homeschooling vendor exhibit where I live, I certainly would go. I'm S-A-T of our local homeschooling fairs which, on "principle", ban Catholic vendors.

Over the years, I've worked on conferences for a mom-support type organization, plus I've been to a few conventions of various kinds, and even done a little speaking.

Here's the thing - if a conference is organized by a local support group, they will typically ask local moms who have a lot of experience in a particular subject to share what they know in a workshop. They may recruit local hsing dads who have a particular area of expertise (often related to their job). And they may use their friend networks to find a few local people in a related field (midwife, librarian, co-op teacher, etc.) who can speak. They may have a few headliners they bring in - these are typically folks who have written a book or two. But the bulk of the workshops are given by local hsing moms and dads. HOWEVER - it's a heck of a lot of work to put on one of these things, and there seem to be fewer moms willing to take on this kind of work (as many are doing work for pay with their "spare" time).

The conventions now are typically done for a profit. It's no longer a network of folks saying, "What can we learn from each other?". It's a business. For the organizers *and* for the speakers/vendors. The budget may not run to paying speakers, so getting vendors to speak gives you free speakers *and* helps you bring in vendors.

That said - It's not *that* much work to arrange a small conference, using local talent for your workshops. It's even easier to organize something with one or two speakers. If the commercial events aren't meeting your needs, think about who you could ask to give a little workshop. Hold it at someone's home; ask your hsing friends to come. If it goes well, ask folks what they'd like to hear about, or speak about, and plan another. We can really learn a lot from each other!!!

I agree with you about it being big business. I have been peripherally involved with a non-sectarian conference for the past 10 years - as a speaker and vendor and really good friends with the organizers. I've always loved it because they used a mix of local talent, big names (like Jesse Wise, Jim Weiss, John Taylor Gatto, etc.), and curriculum writers (requiring that their talks be about homeschooling - if they want to sell their product, they can pay for a vendor presentation slot.) It's a family conference, so there are workshops for adults and children. My family has looked forward to it every year. It is always so neat to see such a diverse mix of people ... unschoolers to school-at-home ... every flavor of belief. You can see a goth-looking teen hanging out with a head-covering Muslim teen. The minority seems to be conservative Christians because they have their own conference (a HUGE one.) There are some lifestyle talks as they relate to homeschooling, but there is plenty to choose from for academics. Presenters may include comments about their faith, but every speaker I have seen respects the fact that the audience is diverse.

But, sadly, the conference is struggling and won't be put on this year due to shrinking attendance, shrinking vendor hall, and not enough volunteers. Part of it is the downturn in the economy and that we are competing with two very large homeschooling conferences in the same part of the state - one is the "state" Christian homeschooling conference (which has become even more Fundamentalist since the kerfluffle) and the other is a for-profit conference that, despite their claim to be about homeschooling, it is definitely a conservative Christian conference. Vendors have been cutting back on the number of conferences they attend so more and more of them have skipped this one because it is smaller and not as influential in the homeschooling community. People WANT a big vendor hall and big name speakers. It seems that no one respects a speaker that hasn't written a book, created a curriculum, or been on national TV. My friend and I have done many workshops over the years that have been well-received: hands-on science, creating a literacy-rich household, dealing with special needs, homeschooling teens - all topics drawn from our own lives and interests. Despite good reviews as reported to us from the organizers, fewer people are attending our workshops because we don't have the desired credentials. Having successfully homeschooled to college is not the right experience. Also, I have seen a big change in the people who homeschool. Many seem to be escaping less-than-desirable school situations, so they don't seem to be as committed to homeschooling as a lifestyle choice. A fairly large subset of them come with a "What can you do for me?" attitude, rather than a "How can I get involved?" mindset. This let to the collapse of a very successful inclusive group because as the older members graduated their children, there weren't enough worker bees to keep things going. This conference seems to be suffering from the same problem - not enough worker bees (volunteers.)

So, I guess what I am trying to say is that despite people saying they want a conference about homeschooling, they really must not want it too badly because they aren't voting with their time nor their pocketbooks.

Because maybe they are like me, a Christian homeschooler who gets one chance a year to go to a conference. I like both aspects of our homeschooling conference. I use it as a time to renew myself as a Christian woman and parent AND as a time to review our academics and learn new approaches.

I have only attended one convention, and it was local. It is held about 15 mins away from me. I looked at the list of speakers, and there was absolutely nothing on the list that appealed to me at all. Not even a little bit. I don't need to hear speakers on submitting to my husband, or about discipline techniques for children that make me positively nauseous. I did attend the used book fair and will do the same this year. I did see one speaker that might interest me on the schedule. I hate even giving them my $20 for registration, but the used book sale is quite good and helps stretch my $$. I attended with my kids last year; this year DH is taking off so I can shop in peace without worrying about little people.

Because to me, academics are only part of the reason we homeschool. That doesnt make me a homeschool girls to marry and have babies homeschooler. The heart of my kids is much more important to me. It's like lasagna - I need more than noodles, despite noodles being important.

Because to me, academics are only part of the reason we homeschool. That doesnt make me a homeschool girls to marry and have babies homeschooler. The heart of my kids is much more important to me. It's like lasagna - I need more than noodles, despite noodles being important.

Our small, local convention has TWO talks on "teaching history from a Biblical perspective". Read--teaching young earth. That has nothing to do with your child's heart and everything to do with agenda.

Although I really enjoy our state convention and I'm planning to go this year, I agree with you. I want some real homeschooling/educating meat to chew on. Last time I was excited that there was a workshop on Charlotte Mason/Classical, but when I went to it the workshop was just a lady trying to convince us how wonderful MFW was. She really new very little about CM or Classical. :001_cool:

Our small, local convention has TWO talks on "teaching history from a Biblical perspective". Read--teaching young earth. That has nothing to do with your child's heart and everything to do with agenda.

Doesn't have to be an 'agenda'. There is every possibility that there may actually be enough people interested in the subject that they thought they ought to have two sessions. And for some of us, yes, that has a lot to do with our children's hearts.

If you've been to a convention that you've liked overall, but just didn't see enough speakers for YOU, tell them! Most conventions are more than willing to listen. I remember years ago, when I felt like there was no practical help for older kids at our convention and after visiting with others, they felt the same way. We filled out the suggestion form and I wrote a long letter later, and guess what? The convention changed to what we needed--something beyond teaching phonics! What a concept!

I don't agree with all of the directions that our state convention have traveled, but I still find speakers of interest. I've helped with our convention for many years--it's a HUGE undertaking and I am grateful for all the work the volunteers have put in.

Knowing that we are talking about the same convention, I thought I'd throw in my own thoughts. I really, really wish conventions would work toward finding and inviting more secular curriculum vendors, regardless of their faith perspective. I am Christian, but many of us homeschool through charter programs that disallow the use of faith based curricula, and we also need to get our hands on materials to look at them first hand. I know many disagree vehemently with the path that many homeschoolers are taking with government funding, and some have even said that really isn't homeschooling, but most of us have complete choice over what we use as long as it is secular, and I would dearly love to see more options right alongside the Christian curriculum so that we can all have freedom of choice.

Another very, very important reason many of us need to see more than the standard fare is that often we are homeschooling kids with special needs, and the traditional Christian curriculum market will not meet our kids' needs. Special Ed curriculum or lower level non-special ed curriculum is hard to find in the current homeschool marketplace, due to the obvious...most homeschooling kids excel. However, we really, really need access to quality materials and having even a little represented would be incredibly helpful. I know of many, many families just like us who are homeschooling out of necessity as well as choice, and having a couple larger secular vendors there who have a variety of levels of materials for "average" or "lower level" learners would be a true gift for some of us.

However, I do get it...it has turned into a huge business and they know who their biggest market is. Over time though, I am hopeful that it will become even a bit more inclusive.