Menu

Savings in the Bank

Georgiana Daniels

Savings in the Bank  

290 members have voted

1. 1. How much does your family keep in savings?

• None--live paycheck to paycheck
    • A Wee Bit--we could miss a paycheck and be OK
    • 1-3 months expenses
    • 4-6 months expenses
    • We're financially secure for as long as necessary
    • Monkeys are Cool!

Though we've all heard the recommendation to have 3-6 months savings in the bank, how many families actually do?

Since we moved, we don't have as much as we used to and I find that an uncomfortable place to be. Just wondering if I'm in the majority/minority, and how the Hive feels about savings.

ETA: money doesn't have to be in a bank, per-se. Just....available.

We don't. We have savings in other places that have better interest. We do have a pre-approved line of credit for emergencies And if the emergency is costly enough that we can't pay it off in a reasonable amount of time we can then get the money from our other various savings. we do have a wee bit so can miss a pay check. But that is just because we don't budget closely - so we don't have to even think about if the next pay check is coming in before the next big expense. Money above and beyond that is automatically put into savings. If the amount that is automatically put into savings is to big or little we chance said amount.

I have a nest egg from before I had kids. I had a job that paid well while I lived pretty frugally. Thankfully I kept it all in "money market" so I didn't lose principal when bad stuff happened in the stock market. If I had to live off my savings, it could last me until my retirement payouts start, or at least, I hope it would.

I voted monkeys are cool. We have a small amount in savings, but not anywhere near a months worth of income. We do have a card that is only for our Ford Dealership just in case my truck needs repairs. We also have a care credit card for any vet emergencies.

Right now we're working on building up to a $1000 emergency fund (have about half) and working toward paying off our debts and getting to the live on last months income step of the you need a budget program.

I don't really feel uncomfortable, but mostly that's because I consider dh's job very secure and don't see anything in our near future that would cause us to lose that income.

I couldn't vote. My DH works in an industry where job security isn't great even during boom times and has been a total mess since fall '07. Last time he was between permanent positions it took him 7 months to land a new one. He did contract work to avoid a gap on his resume, but that paid less than the forgone unemployment benefits :( The only thing that kept me from having to put the kids into a B&M school and resume FT employment was our savings. That was 2 years ago, and we're still working on building it back up to where we'd like it to be (12 months' worth not including the cash we've got set aside for when our 10 y.o. car with 190k mi needs replacement).

We have an offset mortgage - I think they don't exist in the US. We only pay interest on our mortgage for the difference between our savings amount and the amount of our loan. We could use that money to pay down the mortgage, but by keeping it in the offset we maintain flexibility. It's a cushion but our mortgage would go up a lot if we spent it.

Laura

All I know is that when my husband got laid off, we had about a year of expenses saved. I was kind of obsessive about having money saved, and when we didn't or couldn't, it really bothered me. He was unemployed for TWO years. :glare:

So yes, we were pretty bad off by the time he found a job again. I'm not saying don't save, because obviously it could have been worse, but I guess I don't worry about it as much now, because I realize you just do the best you can and then deal with whatever happens.

Though we've all heard the recommendation to have 3-6 months savings in the bank, how many families actually do?

Given that many people lost their job and took way more than 3-6 months to find a new one, if they even have, I think that number is more useful in the realm of "advisors" who give pep talks on TV.

(Reading "Pound Foolish" right now. I recommend it.)

We only have about 2 months set aside specifically for emergency funds, we have about 4 months total in cash. Not too bad for a family a year out of university, but we're definitely working towards increasing our savings... quickly. I quite honestly don't feel safe with less than a year's expenses in an emergency fund.

Given that many people lost their job and took way more than 3-6 months to find a new one, if they even have, I think that number is more useful in the realm of "advisors" who give pep talks on TV.

(Reading "Pound Foolish" right now. I recommend it.)

Suze Orman recommends an eight month emergency fund.

Elise in Nc

We have a little in savings (getting bigger though), but not a full months worth of cash. We had some financial problems and an unexpected, medically difficult pregnancy during our first year of marriage. We have sort of been trying to keep our nose above water since then, now we have gotten to the point that our chin is out of the water too :thumbup1: .

We have mostly liquid assets. We have a small cushion for small emergencies (car breaks down, small house repair, etc.). Beyond that, no not really. For sure traditional bank accounts don't pay squat for interest and even sometimes cost a person money. I closed our traditional savings and just keep money in the checking.

Not saying it's for lack of trying to be responsible and have some emergency money, but something always comes up that makes me have no choice but to spend the money.

This is us as well.

We used to have a larger saving account, but over the summer dh transitioned from being a full-time student with various part-time jobs to a full-time job and we lived off of our savings for almost 4 months. Now we're back to a small emergancy fund.

We just got our tax return, thank God. Before that we just scraped by when our house finally sold. Hopefully our taxes will help get us through this year because we are not pulling enough in monthly plus all of those extra things like car registration. So I expect to have less than 1 month in savings by the beginning of next year. :/ we don't have any other assets either.

I wanted to vote "monkeys are cool" (because they are!) but to make your poll as useful as possible, I didn't. ;)

I voted "as long as necessary". We only keep a small amount in our savings account since the interest doesn't make it worthwhile - most of our money is in stocks and bonds.

i'm lucky in that i inherited some money from my grandmother and managed to put it away and pretty much not touch it. But i was a single mom for a while and dh has been out of work a few times - we havent increased our worth since i started homeschooling (and he took a pay cut soon after that). we have more than a years worth, tho. we are also in our late 40s, so we need to start getting serious about retirement. i really need to get back to work.

i had one friend ask why we carried a mortgage even tho we have enough in the bank to pay it off - well, soon after my husband got in a really toxic work situation, and he was able to walk away without a job lined up. i think we didnt even dip in to my money for that - it just used up everything he'd saved. (and the next job was a 20% paycut) He didnt have savings before we met because his gf was going through a divorce and then got cancer - he lent her money for the lawyers and covered a lot of out-of-pocket medical expenses. when i met him, he still thought she would repay the 'loan' . . . mm, no.

This year is the first year that we have the emergency fund in the bank ($1000), and are building up a long term savings account. I just paid all my insurance for the next six months up front so we only have a little over a month of zero income in the bank right now. This year I am working hard on building and maintaining a pantry like my grandparents did (but for a family of seven) and putting money away. To me the pantry is just as important. This is also the first year we are working from a budget.

If times were desperate we could dip into retirement, but I don't count that.

This year is the first year that we have the emergency fund in the bank ($1000), and are building up a long term savings account. I just paid all my insurance for the next six months up front so we only have a little over a month of zero income in the bank right now. This year I am working hard on building and maintaining a pantry like my grandparents did (but for a family of seven) and putting money away. To me the pantry is just as important. This is also the first year we are working from a budget.

YES! I totally agree on the pantry thing. We're rebuilding ours now too.

Just using savings, ( not tapping into retirement funds, long term investments etc).

If either my husband or I lost our jobs we could make some minor adjustments and last easily 4-6mths. In extreme budget mode, we could last a year maybe more before touching longer term funds/investments.

Dh makes more money than I do. His job would cost us more to lose, but he has opprotunity for with a friend so he can make some of it back. I don't have this option.

If we both lost our jobs, we could still last 3-4mths

We're set. But, we've planned like that since before we were married, and always made sure we had an emergency fund. So, 18+ years of marriage...always living below our means...

Here's the thing, though, in this economy? Even though only something like 40? % of the people are now saving, I think the rest are just not even able to consider it because their paychecks aren't even covering their living expenses or they have no paycheck at all.

We have in just regular savings, enough to live on for about 6-8 months as we live now.

However, if we were to sell our house and dip into some other more secure funds we have, we could survive longer.

We haven't always lived this way. We used to make MORE money (when I worked too) and we lived without a whole lot of savings......sad, I know. We didn't overspend as in having debt, but we now wish we had saved a lot more back then.

Dawn

The pantry is SUPER important. People think that's the fluff stuff, but it's not. It's one of the basics that make the rest doable,

There was a time when I had a nice nest egg to get through hard times. Then the hard times came and lasted much longer then we thought they could. We are back to square one to building up our nest egg again. It is painfully slow and I hope and pray the hard times do not return before we get it built up again.

There was a time when I had a nice nest egg to get through hard times. Then the hard times came and lasted much longer then we thought they could. We are back to square one to building up our nest egg again. It is painfully slow and I hope and pray the hard times do not return before we get it built up again.

Glad you are starting to build again. Hopefully you will gain momentum soon.

I had to vote none :( In fact, at the moment we don't even have a savings acct. Sad but true.

That wasn't always the case, but the economy hit us with a long stint of underemployment and then unemployment, and now our savings is gone. I hope that someday we can get back to it but right now everything that comes in the door is used, and we live frugally. If we get hit again we'll be out of luck.

YES! I totally agree on the pantry thing. We're rebuilding ours now too.

Agreeing, too. I also had an extensive pantry before the job loss. I do stress about not having that anymore, but I have to remind myself (about the savings and the pantry) that that is WHY we had them, so that we could USE them if we need to. We needed to and I'm glad they were there. The bummer is having them depleted and not knowing when or if we'll ever be able to build them up again, for the next time.

I voted for 4-6 months as I know that's how long we could live at our current lifestyle, but I also know that if I trimmed us down to what we used to be and sold off a few things that we would be fine for a couple years. If we sold the business we would be ok for a couple more years from that, and if I planned our farm a little better we would probably be able to stretch all that out for 10 years instead of 4.