Menu

What is the oldest thing in your house??

Kind of a spin off on the Carving Set post.

We have a child's wood rocker that was given to my Father in Law on his 2nd birthday, in 1907!

Yup, it's 100 years old. FIL passed away in 1995 just before he would have turned 80. Mother in Law passed 1999 and we got the Rocker then.

To clarify, we are not that old, my DH was born when DAd was 50, and there is a younger brother who was born 4 years later.

A lead crystal bowl with silver trim that belonged to my grandmother's grandmother. Considering my grandmother was born in 1893, that bowl is really old! I also have my great-grandfather's mantle clock that the jewler who serviced it said was from the late 1800s. My husband also have a piece of stone from an old Greek temple. I'm not sure where it was from.

I have a gold pin shaped like a bow that my grandfather gave my grandmother when he was courting her sometime in the 1920s.

I might have something older but I'm not sure. We live in historic Civil War country and when we first moved in here we found a very old iron tent stake that dss are convinced belonged to the Union troops who overran our county then. Wouldn't that be cool if it is?

Mostly books. Most of my books that are special are 100 to 170 years old. I have a couple first editions.

One is on setting up house. It is really interesting to read.

I have a first edition Pollyanna.

Our piano downstairs. It is 130 years old.

We have a lot of old things, so it's pretty hard to say for sure. Dh collects antique carpentry tools and I like to pick up any old things that strike my fancy. We have several things handed down to us by grandparents and great grandparents. There's a family Bible that is pretty old. We have a few pieces of antique furniture that we don't know the date for. Probably the oldest thing would be one of the many fossils I've found on our property. Other than those I'd guess a rough Native American stone tool (probably used for chopping or scraping) that I found in a pile of river rock out here. You can see that it was worked on both sides to form a rounded edge and that there is a narrower end that likely served as a handle.

The oldest thing would probably be a hand written valedictorian's address to her graduating class from the year our previous house was built, 1840. We found it under floorboards in the attic.

As far as family heirlooms, I would have to say my grandfather's gold engraved cufflinks and a black and white picture of him driving a trolley as a young man. He was a trolley driver in the city until they changed over to buses and then he became a bus driver. These date from the early 1900's.

A zoetrope from the 1860's. Found it at a garage sale in Kansas over 30 years ago for 50 cents!!!! It is worth about $500 (I see similar ones on ebay every so often). As a film nut/buff/geek/PhD I would never sell it, though.

Also have some old glass photos (ambrotypes) of relatives from about the same time period.

We also have an old rocking chair my grandma said Lincoln sat in. Yeah, right grandma. I think it is more of a turn-of-the-century chair...plus I doubt President Lincoln ever visited Newton, KS.

My AVACADO GREEN kitchen countertops!!!

Seriously, my dh and I love antiques. We have several antique pieces of furniture.

We have dressers from probably the turn of the century.

An hand carved wardrobe that my dh made into an entertainment center, it was my grandparents.

A trunk from the 1880's.

A few antique books including an Arden Shakespeare from 1909, a Hiawatha primer from 1898 and a book of Tennyson poetry from 1885.

A french bayonette from the 1879.

my mother! She is 78 yo and lives with us, but then I realized that there is something older than her and it is nearly (but not quite ;)) as special as she is. I actually have a lusterware tea set that belonged to her grandmother (my great-great grandmother). It is so beautiful and I treasure it. The china is quite thin and delicate, so we rarely use it. The colors are opalescent lavender and peach with a satiny black accent trim. I remember seeing this tea set as a child whenever my mother opened a special cabinet in the kitchen. I would stand on my tippy toes to get a glimpse while I could. When I was about my dd's age I asked my dm if I could have the tea set someday, and she said I could when I had a proper place to display it. She gave it to me when I first got married and I had a dining room hutch.

I have a love for fine china and beautiful table settings that goes back to this first memory. It is a sweet bond between dm and I. Also dm worked for a high end jewelry store in the city and was the manager of the china, silver and crystal department for many years. Over the years we both collected beautiful things from that store that we enjoy, but my favorite of all is still that little tea set -- the oldest thing in our house!

Blessings,

Lucinda

A handwritten will from one of my husband's ancestors. It is "dated this 14th day of February in the year 1794."

We have a number of wonderful treasures from our families' past. Shelves of books that belonged to my husband's great grandmother from the early 1800's.

Confederate currency (hand signed by the treasurer!).

A hand carved jewelry box that my great-grandfather made for my great-grandmother just after they were married.

Oh, and the pictures. Daguerreotypes from the middle 1800's.

I love these old family heirlooms.

I recently inherited a set of earrings that are said to go back to the 1600s. I don't know if they're really that old, but I do know that we have a picture taken in 1878 of my great-great-great grandmother wearing them, and on the back of the picture it says that she had just inherited them from her great-grandmother.

(I'm torn over whether or not to have them appraised.)

Let's see. I have a quilt my great-great-grandmother made & a pie safe my great-great-grandfather made for her as a wedding gift. Great-grandfather was born in 1914-ish (just died last yr), so I figure the pie safe is from the first or second decade of last c. The quilt, otoh, is probably much newer, lol.

The pie safe is particularly special, though, because it sat in grandad's (gr-grdad, but we called him grdad) garage until I was in jr high. The summer my parents divorced, we stayed w/ him & grmother for about 6-9 mos, & I asked grdad about it. I thought it was beautiful, but it seemed so neglected.

He said his mother would "whitewash" it instead of cleaning it when it got dirty, so stripping the paint would be a long, tedious task. Think a million layers of paint & decades of grime. But I insisted that we refinish it, & he & I got to work together. We ea did a drawer & quit, lol.

When he & grmother got to the point that they couldn't live on their own & moved in w/...well, grmother--their daughter, the pie safe came to my house. Mom & I worked on it together some more. We stripped most of it, but by then I was in college & busy.

When dh & I married, the pie safe came to live w/ us. I was the only one who'd ever cared for it. (Parts of it are held together w/ vintage Campbell's soup cans!) Anyway, dh & fil finally finished stripping it while I was pg w/ ds7. So, imo, it's had a lot added to its heritage in the years that I've been "supervising" it, lol. And I don't want to hear that an aunt in Houston was supposed to pick it up at some point. It's MINE. :D

A zoetrope from the 1860's. Found it at a garage sale in Kansas over 30 years ago for 50 cents!!!! It is worth about $500 (I see similar ones on ebay every so often). As a film nut/buff/geek/PhD I would never sell it, though.

Also have some old glass photos (ambrotypes) of relatives from about the same time period.

We also have an old rocking chair my grandma said Lincoln sat in. Yeah, right grandma. I think it is more of a turn-of-the-century chair...plus I doubt President Lincoln ever visited Newton, KS.

Dh's grandma is from Newton, KS too!

We have a cradle that my dh's grandparents found in their attic when they moved into their house in the 1920's. I don't know how old it is, but at least 80 years old. We also have the bent-wood rocker dh's grandmother used to rock him in when he was a baby, and a secretary that my grandfather made for my grandmother. I found an old singer sewing machine and table at a thrift store and I got it for $20. I can't think of anything else, though I know there is more. I love to collect old things.

which includes an oak table and hoosier cabinet (she bought it when she got married)! She asked me what I wanted from her....and I told her those things...since they reminded me so much of her. She turned 94 this year!!!!

Tammy

Me! Ha! Just kidding! Rocks and fossils, I would say. My boys, even the biggest one, bring them home all the time. I have buckets of them! We have some beautiful geodes and trilobyte fossils. They're dang old! I also have some inherited bits of furniture, a hope chest, a desk and a small stand we've always called a cigar stand that are a couple hundred years old. Oh and old books too.

My husband.

No, seriously, probably our wooden cranberry hand-scooper and our hutch, both of which belonged to my grandmother's parents; I brought them from Massachusetts with me, and they have been in use since the 1800's. Well, the cranberry scoop is actually used as a magazine rack these days. lol I use it specifically for my genealogy magazines.

Hmm...I collect books and have several from the late 1700s and early 1800s. Also furniture from the 19th century. Those are probably the oldest things.

Someone else mentioned fossils...we have those too.

I also collect toy ovens, and have one from the 1930s.

Probably my locket. It was my grandmother's when she was a baby, and has her teeth marks in it ... and mine :).

Older than that is the ring I actually got married with ... it was my great-grandmother's wedding ring. But my father has it stashed away in his safe deposit box.

Not much.

Ummm, some dirty old Roman coins.

A radio from the 1920's.

We used to have some encyclopedias from the late 1800's, but we lost them in a flood.

Oh, and a child's table that is at least 65 years old because it belonged to my aunt when she was a little girl. She never had any children, so she gave it to me, and my girls have it in the basement with Playmobile set up on it.

Oh, and we have one of those cast iron pit bulls. I have never really looked into the value much, but when the previous owner of our house was moving out she said that she'd leave it here so that we could sell it to put our kids through college.

Ummm, I don't think so.

But it's an interesting piece anyway.

I have a Bible printed in 1873 with a flyfront inscription from 1874. Got that from the free pile after someone's garage sale. :001_huh:

I have some dishes from my great aunt who's 101, and her mom's silverware. Before I was born, someone gave my dad a children's rocker and recliner that was 80 years old, so that's at least 130 years old. ;)

I have a child's rocker as well. :)

It's been passed down to the first girl. Date on the bottom is 1903. I'm not entirely sure of its story because my mom isn't good for details. And my grandmother isn't exactly the greatest either. At one point they had conflicting stories. And now my grandmother has Alzheimer's so I'm not likely to get any further clear details from her. So, I'm just going with 'it's been passed down to the first daughter since my g-ma'

I don't feel sentimental toward it. But I do like it and plan to carry on the tradition.

Kind of a spin off on the Carving Set post.

We have a child's wood rocker that was given to my Father in Law on his 2nd birthday, in 1907!

Yup, it's 100 years old. FIL passed away in 1995 just before he would have turned 80. Mother in Law passed 1999 and we got the Rocker then.

To clarify, we are not that old, my DH was born when DAd was 50, and there is a younger brother who was born 4 years later.

I have an old wooden rocker as well - it looks like a child's rocker but it's actually a nursing rocker. Apparently it was built low to the floor so that the mother could nurse close to the fire to keep herself and baby warm. I am not sure exactly how old it is but I imagine it's probably close to 100 years old.

I love antiques so many of the items in my home are older. The ones that I know for sure are really old come from my great, great, great grandparent's home. My mother also loves antiques and she's been slowly giving them to me since I got married.

A grandfather clock that my dad's grandpa made

A curio/secretary that belonged to my grandma's grandma

A buffet that I remember seeing my dad's grandma's home

A child's rocker that I played with as a child that was my grandma's grandma's rocker (it's put away until my kids are grown!)

A full-size rocker that even my mother can't remember who is came from but she remembers seeing it in her great aunt's house before it came to her mother. We figure it's about 200 years old.

Recently my mom gave me a bird's eye maple knitting rocker she found for $10 at a garage sale for my birthday.

Ah yes, my china belonged to my dad's grandparents--it was willed to the first grandchild to get married. Me! Fortunately I love it.

I'm always on the look out for oldies

I have an old wooden rocker as well - it looks like a child's rocker but it's actually a nursing rocker. Apparently it was built low to the floor so that the mother could nurse close to the fire to keep herself and baby warm. I am not sure exactly how old it is but I imagine it's probably close to 100 years old.

It could also be a knitting rocker. They're pretty low down too.

I was going to say dh too but then I guess we do have some books that are much older than him.

I used to have a pie safe my great-grandfather made as well as my great-grandmother's cedar chest. But we lost those in a house fire. That was very sad! :crying:

Other than some trilobites from Utah, a Native American axe head and a bunch of arrow heads.

I have some Confederate money...I think that might be my oldest stuff. I waiting for it to be useful again. :D

As far as family stuff....I have my grandfather's rosary from 1907. I have a baby picture of my grandmother from 1910 also.

My kids "do school" at a 80 year old table. Hmmmm....I may need to reconsider that before they tear it up.