Menu

What could make a healthy cat just die?

clarkacademy

I wonder if it injested something toxic, I am sure some things could kill it very quickly without obvious signs of illness. Other thoughts are heart attack, aneurysm etc. I think I would want to have a vet do an autopsy to find out why, especially if I had other pets in the house

I wonder if it injested something toxic, I am sure some things could kill it very quickly without obvious signs of illness. Other thoughts are heart attack, aneurysm etc. I think I would want to have a vet do an autopsy to find out why, especially if I had other pets in the house

I can't see how he would have gotten anything toxic. As I said my son has autism he is very sensitive to stuff we don't use alot of harsh chemicals for cleaning he wouldn't be able to handle the odors.

I can't see how he would have gotten anything toxic. As I said my son has autism he is very sensitive to stuff we don't use alot of harsh chemicals for cleaning he wouldn't be able to handle the odors.

Does this cat go out at all? Was it in the garage or wherever you keep things like antifreeze? Perhaps a medication was spilled and a few pills were not cleaned up? Totally grasping at straws here trying to figure it out.

Does this cat go out at all? Was it in the garage or wherever you keep things like antifreeze? Perhaps a medication was spilled and a few pills were not cleaned up? Totally grasping at straws here trying to figure it out.

He goes outisde but any thing like that is in the locked shed, there is no way in. I appreciate your grasping, I am really trying to hold it together for my son because this hurts. That was our evil cat he stalked crawling babies, he chased us in dark rooms and he has been ours for so long. He stalked the yard like a king taking down possum, coons, squirrels anything that would get in his way even small dogs. Now he is just gone. He has no marks or anything he's just gone.

He goes outisde but any thing like that is in the locked shed, there is no way in. I appreciate your grasping, I am really trying to hold it together for my son because this hurts. That was our evil cat he stalked crawling babies, he chased us in dark rooms and he has been ours for so long. He stalked the yard like a king taking down possum, coons, squirrels anything that would get in his way even small dogs. Now he is just gone. He has no marks or anything he's just gone.

If he goes outside he could have gotten something like that from anywhere, even poisoned food put out by someone to kill a possum for example or warafin for mice/rats. Antifreeze spilled in a neighbors driveway etc.

Likely it is something like an aneurysm or heart attack or stroke to be so random and fast, not toxin but that is what came to me first.

Put it in the freezer for tonight and call the vet tomorrow to see about an autopsy.

We have had kitties and other pets die, generally from old age, but it is hard. I know my kids are not autistic and they had a very hard time with the losses, I could not imagine if they were autistic and I could not reason with them about it kwim. I'll keep you guys in my thoughts

I'd imagine might be a heart failure or stroke or something. I also agree on the possibility of antifreeze poisoning if the cat goes out, its highly toxic and has a sweet smell to animals so if people spill it filling up their cars then its attractive to lap it up.

There is nothing except motor oil in the shed and we live in no where land. I don't do any car work it is always taken to my dad or a shop. The shed is bolted anyway for the kids. I don't know what he could have gotten into.

If he goes outside he could have gotten something like that from anywhere, even poisoned food put out by someone to kill a possum for example or warafin for mice/rats. Antifreeze spilled in a neighbors driveway etc.

Likely it is something like an aneurysm or heart attack or stroke to be so random and fast, not toxin but that is what came to me first.

Put it in the freezer for tonight and call the vet tomorrow to see about an autopsy.

We have had kitties and other pets die, generally from old age, but it is hard. I know my kids are not autistic and they had a very hard time with the losses, I could not imagine if they were autistic and I could not reason with them about it kwim. I'll keep you guys in my thoughts

Thank you I appreciate it. Tomorrow is gonna be killer for these kids. Especially my son it was his cat. I will call the vet hopefully the cost will not be huge. I don't think he would wander that far to a neighbor we are pretty isolated out here for him to have gotten poisoned then made it all the way back home but who knows.

There is nothing except motor oil in the shed and we live in no where land. I don't do any car work it is always taken to my dad or a shop. The shed is bolted anyway for the kids. I don't know what he could have gotten into.

I totally think the aneurysm or heart faliure then and there is nothing you could have done without any symptoms. It's sad for such a young cat to die so suddenly.

That happened to my cat a couple of years ago. We took him in to an emergency vet but he was gone already. In the shock, I opted out of the autopsy and just had her cremated. We got her ashes, like we do all of our pets, but by then I was sorry I had not let them figure out what had happened. One minute I was petting her and she seemed totally fine. 15 mins. later she was on the floor. It was heart breaking.

My ds has Aspergers and he was sad when his own cat died but he had more time to prepare because the cat got sick. He isn't one to show emotions so he didn't grieve in the same way the rest of us did, but I know it affected him deeply. I got a 2nd dog not long after that and unfortunately he thinks cats are fun to chase so we can't get another cat. I've always felt badly about that because I think my son really liked having a cat hang out with him all day. Listen to your son and let him grieve the way he wants to and consider a new pet if that is the direction he wants to go in. That's just MHO. :grouphug:

I totally think the aneurysm or heart faliure then and there is nothing you could have done without any symptoms. It's sad for such a young cat to die so suddenly.

I think your right. I searched him over no marks at all and I looked in his mouth for any kind of chemical sign and there was nothing so I just hope it was over fairly quickly. I hope he didn't lay there and suffer while we slept.

That happened to my cat a couple of years ago. We took him in to an emergency vet but he was gone already. In the shock, I opted out of the autopsy and just had her cremated. We got her ashes, like we do all of our pets, but by then I was sorry I had not let them figure out what had happened. One minute I was petting her and she seemed totally fine. 15 mins. later she was on the floor. It was heart breaking.

My ds has Aspergers and he was sad when his own cat died but he had more time to prepare because the cat got sick. He isn't one to show emotions so he didn't grieve in the same way the rest of us did, but I know it affected him deeply. I got a 2nd dog not long after that and unfortunately he thinks cats are fun to chase so we can't get another cat. I've always felt badly about that because I think my son really liked having a cat hang out with him all day. Listen to your son and let him grieve the way he wants to and consider a new pet if that is the direction he wants to go in. That's just MHO. :grouphug:

This cat pretty much hung out with him too I am sorry for your sons loss as well.

My thoughts too. A friend's cat suddenly died w/o symptoms of illness and it seemed remote (because of location/situation) that he ingested something bad. No signs of trauma either. The vet said it was likely a heart attack but friend never found out for sure.

:grouphug:

Sorry about your cat. I read somewhere that cats often hide when they are ill or injured. I wish I could remember where I read that. I have seen that in my own cat. One day she came in from outside and she was acting totally fine doing what she normally does. There was absolutely no indication that anything had happened. So then I noticed little bits of fur missing here or there on her. So then I looked at her some more and her ear was bleeding. Not only was it bleeding, it looked as if an animal had taken a bite out of it. In fact, when it healed there was still a piece missing from her ear! She acted like it was nothing.

Thank you. I have always heard that too. He was just laying there almost like he had fallen asleep.

I would think the cat died of a heart attack or something quick. I was at the vet this past week and a gentleman brought a lab mix in that had probably ingested something toxic. He was drooling and the man said the dog kept falling over. He had kept the dog in his garage, so the vet was questioning the man about chemicals kept there. I would think if your cat ingested something, you'd see similar signs.

I sorry for your loss. I had a 17 year old calico that we let suffer too long and I would have been thankful if she had passed quickly on her own and not left her passing up to us.

Hugs to you and your son.

K

My thoughts too. A friend's cat suddenly died w/o symptoms of illness and it seemed remote (because of location/situation) that he ingested something bad. No signs of trauma either. The vet said it was likely a heart attack but friend never found out for sure.

:grouphug:

My son don't want an autopsy he said his cat is not some science project. He hit the roof when I said we were gonna wrap him in plastic to bury him, cause he wouldn't be able to breathe :crying: I have a feeling that it is gonna be a long day.

I would think the cat died of a heart attack or something quick. I was at the vet this past week and a gentleman brought a lab mix in that had probably ingested something toxic. He was drooling and the man said the dog kept falling over. He had kept the dog in his garage, so the vet was questioning the man about chemicals kept there. I would think if your cat ingested something, you'd see similar signs.

I sorry for your loss. I had a 17 year old calico that we let suffer too long and I would have been thankful if she had passed quickly on her own and not left her passing up to us.

Hugs to you and your son.

K

Thank you I hope he didn't suffer. That cat was a nightmare. He chased us in dark rooms was picky about his food, hated children and men. He was evil but we loved him and he is going to be missed.

We lost our dog to a massive seizure. He had never had one before and we wouldn't have known what it was if we hadn't been there to witness it. He did have underlying health conditions that we had been warned could lead to a seizure but they didn't tell us that his first seizure could kill him. My other dog just had some seizures last week and he does not have any known health issues. His were mild this time, thankfully. The vet said they could happen with any pet at any time and you just never know.

We lost our dog to a massive seizure. He had never had one before and we wouldn't have known what it was if we hadn't been there to witness it. He did have underlying health conditions that we had been warned could lead to a seizure but they didn't tell us that his first seizure could kill him. My other dog just had some seizures last week and he does not have any known health issues. His were mild this time, thankfully. The vet said they could happen with any pet at any time and you just never know.

I hope your dog is all right and yeah you just never know. We figured he would live forever

I wonder is he ingested a rodent that had eaten rodent poison. I am so sorry. I'm sending cyber hugs for you and your son.

Guest submarines

I'd imagine might be a heart failure or stroke or something. I also agree on the possibility of antifreeze poisoning if the cat goes out, its highly toxic and has a sweet smell to animals so if people spill it filling up their cars then its attractive to lap it up.

My friend's very healthy dog died very suddenly from a heart attack. When she emailed to me about it, for the first seconds I thought she was joking. Her words were something like, "Jack came home from his walk, ate his dinner, stretched, yawned, and died."

Hugs to your children.

It wasn't antifreeze poisoning. Antifreeze isn't quick, and they look and act drunk- like they've been hit by a car, and they are cold. If it were rat poison, they also would not be acting normal.

Thank you. I have always heard that too. He was just laying there almost like he had fallen asleep.

This makes me think that it was most likely a heart attack or aneurysm, as others have stated. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: I'm so sorry for your loss.

:grouphug: to you, too. Our dog died of a seizure in Sept. She'd been on meds since May, and hadn't had one since. Then, just gone. It stinks.

:grouphug: I'm sorry.

This was my first thought. We had an indoor/outdoor cat die from anti-freeze poisoning once. For some reason, cats like the taste of it, and a neighbor had a car that was leaking anti-freeze

Thank you I hope he didn't suffer. That cat was a nightmare. He chased us in dark rooms was picky about his food, hated children and men. He was evil but we loved him and he is going to be missed.

:grouphug: So sorry for your family. We had an evil cat too. He loved DH but he hated everyone else and he would stalk and attack me for no reason. Still, we were very sad when he died. :crying:

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I am so terribly sorry about your cat, and I am so sad for your poor son!!! :crying:

I don't know how you feel about this, but if you have your cat cremated, it might comfort your ds to know that his cat would be coming back home, instead of being buried outside in the cold or whatever. I know some people find it morbid to bring the little box of ashes home, but we find it comforting, so I thought I would mention it.

Again, I'm so sorry. This may be even harder on you than on your son, because I know you'll be terribly worried about how he's feeling and that you'll be doing everything you can to comfort him. :(

My friend's very healthy dog died very suddenly from a heart attack. When she emailed to me about it, for the first seconds I thought she was joking. Her words were something like, "Jack came home from his walk, ate his dinner, stretched, yawned, and died."

Hugs to your children.

Thjat is terrible and thank you for your thoughts

It wasn't antifreeze poisoning. Antifreeze isn't quick, and they look and act drunk- like they've been hit by a car, and they are cold. If it were rat poison, they also would not be acting normal.

This makes me think that it was most likely a heart attack or aneurysm, as others have stated. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: I'm so sorry for your loss.

:grouphug: to you, too. Our dog died of a seizure in Sept. She'd been on meds since May, and hadn't had one since. Then, just gone. It stinks.

Thank you and I am sorry for your loss

We had a indoor cat do that, he had FIV and lived a very healthy long life with the disease. One day he just died, he had not been sick at all. So there are some diseases that are fatal without showing any symptoms.

I'm so sorry for you loss, I'm sorry for you son and send my sympathies and hugs.