Menu

We won a trip for two to Sweden :)

Sahamamama

My husband's company had their annual awards banquet recently. He and another person were awarded the top prize for the year -- an all-expenses-paid trip for each employee and his spouse to Sweden. :) I would very much like to go, if we can work out the logistics. I wish we could take the girls, though. They travel well these days, and they love an adventure.

We have a few months to figure out if I'm going or staying here. What will we do with three girls? My parents could in no wise handle them solo for a full week, nor would I even venture to ask them. There is no one else to ask.

He informs me, also, that there is a full plate of activities planned for the week while we'd be there, including a tour of the company headquarters and manufacturing plant (anesthesia/medical equipment). Thrilling. Anesthesia puts me to sleep. :closedeyes: Intake, outflow, gas, gas, blah, blah, blah.

I'm not sure I'd be up to trotting around at another person's bidding. I've never been very good at that compliance thing, ya know. Hence, the homeschooling. :)

Has your family ever won a trip as a company bonus? It's certainly not optional for my husband to go. I'm not sure if it's optional for me, actually, but I suppose I have a choice. How have you handled it?

Oh.. and is it REALLY "all-expenses-paid?" We plan to move this spring/summer, and we need to do that more than anything else right now. The trip would be in July or August. We will NOT have any money for a "free" trip to Sweden (or anywhere). All ears.

Go!

Make a list of any person who might be able to help with the girls. I know I would bend over backwards to help even a casual friend with a trip like this. If your parents or a friend can't handle them full time is a day camp a possibility that week? The kids could be gone most of the day and then just need handling at night. You could also try a nanny service or other full time sitter to help your parents (or a friend) out that week. The sitter could be dealing with the girls and your parents would just be supervising and providing care at night.

My parents won a couple of trips like this when I was a kid, and they were indeed "all expenses paid," everything except souvenirs. The downside is that you are taxed on the value of the trip. Bummer. Anyway, I agree with a previous poster who suggested engaging a team: your parents and a professional, or a friend, someone who could take care of them during the day. I also would strongly suggest having the parents or whomever stay at your house for the week, as it will be significantly less disruptive to the girls. Then go and have a great time.

I hope it works out for you.

Terri

Ooooh, cool! Congrats! What fun! (I'd go!)

DH leaves for Stockholm next week, as a matter of fact, I'd love to tag along. Though I'd prefer to take the kids, too. :)

DH's company is based in Europe, so there are lots of trips. For some, like holiday parties, etc, I am invited. So DH hasn't "won" them, but they are a perk, if that makes sense. He basically has to go, I am free to make up my own mind given our kid situation, etc. I would imagine it would be the same for you? ...They generally pay for air travel, hotel and food, plus any fun stuff they may have planned as an activity (museums? skiing? that kind of thing). DH and I plan on incidentals, shopping, and activities we'll do on our own. Not sure if that helps you think about the cost, but it might give you an idea. The planned activities, on our end, are generally lots of fun, though DH and I can bow out at any time. Some amount of hobknobbing with the hosts is necessary, but if there's something like a group tour and we won't be missed, we often bow out.

Dh earned a trip to Hawaii as a sales promotion once. It was not a company vacation, it was just a vacation. The company should have details of what all is included, I would bug your dh to get documentation so you can start planning. In our case it was hotel and airfare and I think some cash for food. This was our pre-child days, but family chipped in for us to stay longer (anniversary gift) and helped out with some cash as well. We didn't have a lot of extra money, not even enough for car rental or to visit the other islands. We still had a great time.

Even if you get stuck doing company things, I think you should really go.

We went on a few paid vacations pre dcs. They were paid for. Generous meal allowance. Really nice hotels etc. I would go. I have always heard that the activities are fun and quite plush. Sweden is an expensive destination so go and enjoy it. I really doubt that spouses are expected to go on the factory tour. You will probably be given a completely different activity.

You have time to plan for child care. You may have more options if you stop thinking strictly local. Probably easier for someone to come to them. I know for us the emergency plan has always been my single best friend. We would have to buy a plane ticket but that would be cheap for a really nice vacation.

Thanks for the encouragement to go, and for the suggestions on how to practically make that happen.

I do know that, while my parents are the closest emotionally and geographically to our children, they are not physically able to care for them for an entire week. My dad battled cancer this past year, had serious surgery, and lost 100 lbs. He's not the same man he was a year ago, at all, and my mother is constantly trying to keep him going. He's well, as far as the cancer goes, but the ordeal really took a toll. On both of them, actually. I'm not going to put them in the grave, so I can spend a week in Sweden.

My in-laws are theoretically a possibility, but only if we move to a better house. They would never condescend to come to this house, in this neighborhood, where we currently live. God forbid, that they should compromise themselves in such a way. They also live 3,000 miles away. And how would they pay for tickets, when they say they have no money? ;) Ahem.

I am proud of my husband, though, however we are able to work out this trip. It's a real honor that they recognized his work and his contribution to the company. We've come a long way from where we started, haven't we? I remember when he did the job he hated (a different one), day after day, without ever complaining. He worked hard to get where he is now.

I did, too, now that I think of it, but I worked hard at home. :) Maybe I will go to Sweden.

DO you belong to a church? There might be a young single woman--either college age or even empty nester--that could come and stay with the kids or a few people to take turns. You have a lot of time to get the kids comfortable with someone else. Maybe your parents could come for a few days even if you have a highschool or college kid there too doing the work.

Would it be possible for your parents to stay with some young adults babysitting as well. Mom could oversee but someone else could do the work?

Excellent idea! Have your parents in "charge" with lots of help! Whatever you need to do to GO!!!

Congratulations!

My husband won a safari to Tanzania a few years ago. My father and stepmother came up and stayed with the kids. The youngest was 3 and the oldest was 9. The trip was fabulous and the kids enjoyed their time away from us.

Please try to go. I wasn't going to go with my husband, but it was expected that I go with him. It is a corporate thing expecting the spouse to go and it is best that you go.

Would it be possible for your parents to stay with some young adults babysitting as well. Mom could oversee but someone else could do the work?

This is what I was thinking, too. If your parents could be there, so the girls would have familiar and trusted people, yet have someone else come in to do most of the work. Maybe someone could come over in the mornings to handle breakfast and lunch, as well as helping to keep them entertained. Then, maybe someone else could come in to handle the afternoons, making dinner, giving baths, etc. Would the grandparents need someone to sleep over? Or would they be okay on their own through the evening, until the morning person came back over?

You could make some dinners ahead and freeze them, to make that job easier. I'd pick up some new movies, so the grandparents could rely on some quiet time each day. If the girls have never seen them, maybe it will be enough of a treat that they'll stay entertained for a set amount of time, giving the grandparents time to rest and recharge.

Do you have any other family or friends nearby? Any homeschool or church friends? Could the girls go to two different places, if that made it easier for finding people to help? I know that we've done something like that before. My older two were one place, the younger two were another. Sometimes that makes it easier if you know someone that would be willing to help, but couldn't manage handling all three children.

Just trying to help you brainstorm, because I can't imagine having to turn down such a wonderful chance to travel! Keep thinking of options!

Congratulations!

My husband won a safari to Tanzania a few years ago. My father and stepmother came up and stayed with the kids. The youngest was 3 and the oldest was 9. The trip was fabulous and the kids enjoyed their time away from us.

Please try to go. I wasn't going to go with my husband, but it was expected that I go with him. It is a corporate thing expecting the spouse to go and it is best that you go.

Thank you for posting this. I was wondering about the expectations, but wasn't sure. My husband did say that at the awards ceremony (and afterwards) it felt to him as though we were both expected to go, so... we'll figure out something.

I mentioned it to my parents today. They laughed and said, "Sweden?" You'd have to know them, traveling to Sweden (or anywhere outside of the US, really) is just not something they would ever do. It's so far off the radar screen for them, the idea of the two of us going to Sweden made them laugh. :) Then they said, "We can watch the girls for you for the week, you should go, it'll be like a second honeymoon. Just be sure to come back!"

I'm in shock, LOL. :)

Thank you for posting this. I was wondering about the expectations, but wasn't sure. My husband did say that at the awards ceremony (and afterwards) it felt to him as though we were both expected to go, so... we'll figure out something.

It would be expected at dh's company too, barring major emergencies. Childcare is something they would expect one could come up with.

I am proud of my husband, though, however we are able to work out this trip. It's a real honor that they recognized his work and his contribution to the company. We've come a long way from where we started, haven't we? I remember when he did the job he hated (a different one), day after day, without ever complaining. He worked hard to get where he is now.

:thumbup1:

And glad to hear that your parents are so supportive!

Then they said, "We can watch the girls for you for the week, you should go, it'll be like a second honeymoon. Just be sure to come back!"

:hurray: Now go, and have a great time!! I've only been to Stockholm, but that was fantastic enough with all its islands and water everywhere. Enjoy!

It sounds like this could work with a little effort on your part. Is there any way to pre-organize help for your parents to watch the girls? School will be out then; a summer teen might be someone who could help with laundry and childcare.

I mentioned it to my parents today. They laughed and said, "Sweden?" You'd have to know them, traveling to Sweden (or anywhere outside of the US, really) is just not something they would ever do. It's so far off the radar screen for them, the idea of the two of us going to Sweden made them laugh. :) Then they said, "We can watch the girls for you for the week, you should go, it'll be like a second honeymoon. Just be sure to come back!"

Were you kidding when you wrote, "I'm not sure I'd be up to trotting around to another person's bidding"?

If it is a company trip, this might be exactly what is expected of you.

No, unsinkable, I wasn't kididng. That's why I mentioned it, because I have stamina issues. I simply wear out sometimes.

They say, "We'll take out your cancerous thyroid and put you on this little pink pill, and you'll be just like new, no problems."

They lie.

In all fairness, my husband travels and I'm homeschooling three active children -- so who can say WHY I get tired? ;) But on group trips, I have never been the one to keep going like the Energizer Bunny. Will I be allowed to crash if I can't keep going? Because when I bottom out, I just bottom out. I'm not a wimp, either, it's more chemical than anything else, I think.

At home, I can pace it all, manage it all, maintain some margins on my stamina and strength. Not so with being out of control in Stockholm. KWIM? What would you do in my shoes?

When my mom watched the kids for us a couple years ago for close to a week, it was over the summer--will it be for you too? We put the kids in a Vacation Bible School in the area for the mornings. She was good with them for the rest of the day but you could then schedule a teen to babysit a couple afternoons too. Then your parents would just need to do dinner/bedtimes on those days.

I prepared virtually ALL meals ahead of time. I made a ton of pancakes and such for breakfast, plus easy cereal and oatmeal. Lunch I think I made bought some lunchables and those freezer sandwich things (can't think of their name). Anyway we never eat things like that so my kids were excited and it was easy.

I made freezer meals for the week and I think left money for her to order pizza one night and have it delivered. I felt like if she was watching them, I could try to take over all food prep. I even bought paper plates and encouraged her to use them. I just tried to think of things that would make it a little easier for her. Glad they're willing to do it...I'm sure they'd appreciate any way you can make it easier for them.

Sounds like a great trip. But, you should definitely have your husband find out if you will be taxed on the value of the trip. Income taxes on a trip like this can be pretty significant. I'm not up on current rules, but in my former life I was a tax accountant, and it was really important to make sure people knew if they were going to be taxed on a trip before they went.

Are you sure you can't bring the kids? Aside from air fare, the other expenses might not be too bad. You and your dh are already traveling for free, and you'd have to feed your kids whether you were at home or in Sweden, plus you'd have to either pay a babysitter or bring back a substantial thank-you gift, so the extra cost of bringing the kids with you might not be nearly as costly as you might imagine.

Also, your kids are quite young -- are you sure they would be OK with you being overseas for an entire week? It's not like you could just hop in the car and drive home if they started missing you terribly or if one of them got sick or something. (I wouldn't be OK without my ds for a week, but I'm just an idiot about things like that! :rolleyes:)

I wouldn't bring the kids. Enjoy the time with your DH. If this is a company trip with scheduled things, I can't imagine that working well.

I think one thing you could do to prepare for the trip is walk around a lot. Europeans walk a lot, and tour groups walk around a lot, and if you have stamina issues, it could help you to prep for that aspect.

Stockholm is absolutely beautiful. In the summer even moreso. I really like the city hall. Don't miss that.

I think one thing you could do to prepare for the trip is walk around a lot. Europeans walk a lot, and tour groups walk around a lot, and if you have stamina issues, it could help you to prep for that aspect.

Thanks for the suggestion, incognito. I do exercise now. In fact, my children say that I walk so fast in stores and parking lots that they can't keep up with me, LOL. I'm not thinking much about it, so I do slow down for them.

My stamina depletion seems to be more related to being in direct contact with people all day. ;) Do you know what I mean? I could walk by myself or with a small group of people for hours and hours and hours. Literally have done so.

No, the stamina issues have to do with the way in which constant, direct interaction with multiple people drains me dry. When I'm on a group trip (have done this a few times), I get to a point at which I have to pull away from the group. It's not a permanent disengagement, just for a while. My concern would be that, on a corporately planned trip, I wouldn't be able to determine my own itinerary or bow out of something that is just "too much."

It's funny, really, because no one considers me an introvert. I'm not one, in some ways. But I can only take so much of "the group experience" before I'm depleted.

We'll find out more about the expectations and itinerary before we go, so I can be prepared to go with the flow as much as is possible for me. I suppose one could always say that one doesn't feel well, couldn't one? ;) And that would be telling the truth.

Could you have your husband simply let the hosts of the trip know that you recently had a serious illness, that you are regaining your strength, and there will be times you need to sit quietly and wait for everyone else to meet up with you? It's rreally as simple as that. If anyone asks what's wrong, you can simply say it's not something you are able to talk about yet, but that you are so thrilled to be on this lovely trip--aren't the sights wonderful?

Ah, it's not physical stamina, per se. I understand. I think as long as you can gague yourself fairly well and get out before you hit the wall(s), it isn't that hard to bow out of a thing or two. Check the schedule and you'll likely be able to see some things that would be more optional than others.

Don't worry about it. You're human and can't do everything all day with everyone. If the company understands its people at all they will already plan for that and give couples time to be alone together sometimes too.